Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi everyone!

I've made the decision to joining Slimming World this week and was just wondering if it's hard to get your head round especially if you've previously been a WeightWatcher's member?

I was at WeightWatcher's for two years but weightloss has become ridiculously slow, no matter how well I eat and I'm finding the whole thing monotonous now.
    I've heard from many people that Slimming World is great; even people that used to go to WW have switched to SW and I personally know of a girl who lost 4 stone in SW and she'd lost very little in WW.
    Anyway, sorry to drone on..

I'm obviously so used to the ProPoints plan on WW but I think SW has something similar?

I'm looking forward to trying a new plan with new ideas, recipes and information and I really hope this is the plan I like the most 'cos I need to shift this weight.
    My goal is to look fabulous for Christmas :o

Had my first SW meeting tonight and I have to be honest, it's all very confusing.
    I don't understand how you can eat as much of the Free Foods (meat, fish, eggs, etc) as you like and still lose weight.
    Surely all that meat can't be good for you?
    Where's the portion control?
    Oh and apparently you're not encouraged to drink alcohol..the leader turned her nose up when a woman complained she couldn't fit alcohol into her Syn allowance.
    I don't think it's the plan for me. Back to WW I go..where I can actually have a social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

It's not really "eating as much as you like" more like "eating until you are full".

dee. wrote: »
    It's not really "eating as much as you like" more like "eating until you are full".

Hi dee

I understand the concept of eating until you're full but for some people, they kinda need guidance and to know what a healthy portion of food is.
    Pasta and rice and spuds are all high in carbs, and as we know, carbs turns into sugars, which for someone who is diabetic, for example, that wouldn't be helpful.

I didn't mean to make out like I was slating SW-Of course it works for thousands of people; I think I just prefer the guidance and allowance of ProPoints of WW.
    At least I went to the meeting and I know it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

hello fussy onion
    The reason sw works is that you are eating good food, you have a 1/3 protein ie meat, 1/3 vegtables and 1/3 carbs ie pasta or rice on every dinner plate.
    In regards to the eating meat you eat very lean meat. Protein helps you burn off the fat and keeps you fuller for longer.
    I speak from experience with slimming world as I have lost over 3 stone since Feb 2012. I was a ww a few times and the most I lost was 2 stone which took me more than 6 months.
    If you look at the back of your food optimising book you will see the sin value for your drinks or takeaway at the weekend - you can have 5 to 15 syns a day so if you eat nothing but free foods the day you go out you can have some drinks or a takeaway. You can have a social life on sw.
    I would advise you to try slimming world for a month. Eat 5 to 15 syns a day, drink plenty of water and start on the body magic. Keep a food dairy and let your leader see it next week. Come back to this form in a months time to let us know how you are getting on.
    Why say this is not for me without even trying it. You have told us your in ww for 2 years and your weight loss is very slow. Why would you keep doing this when you could eat more food and you should have a decent weight loss each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

I started last week and first impressions were the same, alot of meat and carbs. In reality though if you eat your free foods and superfree (the veg and fruit) you wont tend to eat alot of cabs and once the meat is lean its ok. Also it dosent have to be meat it can be fish too. once its not battered and deep fried i think its free, im still trying to get used to it, i cant go anywhere without the book!!!
    I have a busy social life and enjoy my drinks at the weekend so i am slighlty worried about that, however after hearing such good reviews im going to give it a go. I was over on my syns after sat night but im hoping that it wont impact too much.Second weigh in tommorrow and im a little nervous, hopefully the resluts will be good. :)
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Had my first SW meeting tonight and I have to be honest, it's all very confusing.
    I don't understand how you can eat as much of the Free Foods (meat, fish, eggs, etc) as you like and still lose weight.
    Surely all that meat can't be good for you?
    Where's the portion control?
    Oh and apparently you're not encouraged to drink alcohol..the leader turned her nose up when a woman complained she couldn't fit alcohol into her Syn allowance.
    I don't think it's the plan for me. Back to WW I go..where I can actually have a social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

okiss wrote: »
    hello fussy onion
    The reason sw works is that you are eating good food, you have a 1/3 protein ie meat, 1/3 vegtables and 1/3 carbs ie pasta or rice on every dinner plate.
    In regards to the eating meat you eat very lean meat. Protein helps you burn off the fat and keeps you fuller for longer.
    I speak from experience with slimming world as I have lost over 3 stone since Feb 2012. I was a ww a few times and the most I lost was 2 stone which took me more than 6 months.
    If you look at the back of your food optimising book you will see the sin value for your drinks or takeaway at the weekend - you can have 5 to 15 syns a day so if you eat nothing but free foods the day you go out you can have some drinks or a takeaway. You can have a social life on sw.
    I would advise you to try slimming world for a month. Eat 5 to 15 syns a day, drink plenty of water and start on the body magic. Keep a food dairy and let your leader see it next week. Come back to this form in a months time to let us know how you are getting on.
    Why say this is not for me without even trying it. You have told us your in ww for 2 years and your weight loss is very slow. Why would you keep doing this when you could eat more food and you should have a decent weight loss each week.

Sometimes people just know certain plans are not for them. You know WW is not for you and fussyonion knows SW is not for her. There is no point trying to force it on her or she will dislike it even more.

Hi thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm thrilled SW works for you.
    I think what confuses me, when I really think about it, is the Syns.
    You're allowed 5-15 a day.
    So what if you didn't eat any Syns all week..can you use them all on a weekend night?
    For example..on WW, you have a daily allowance plus a weekly allowance of 49. I use my 49 at the weekend.
    So, on SW, can you save your Syns for the weekend? If not, how do people have a few drinks/takeaways for special occasions, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Trotsky00

Hi guys,

Thinking of joining tw, as my wedding is exactly one year away this week. Just wondering as a man do many (or any men) go to these meetings? And would it be recommended to men?

Thanks

Yes men go. I saw four at the meeting last night.
    Best of luck to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭polly27

Robo: how are you doing on the plan, im going back next week, dreading it as im back to square one and heavier but my aim is 2 stone at least by xmas so heres hoping i can do it, have to say this thread is great, ill check in every week as were all in the same boat.

Hi all

i am going to bite the bullet and rejoin next weeks, its been a few months have had so much on (no excuse i know) really fed up now and feel like crap.

Can anyone tell me when you rejoin do you just use your normal weigh in card and say you are rejoining when you go to pay? how much is it to Rejoin??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I haven't posted here in a little while but I got my 3 stone award last week, and I only joined in April. I've been doing lots of "body magic" which definitely helps, along with mostly red days (but i'm a vegetarian so I use meet substitutes like quorn/tofu/soy instead of meat)

My consultant wants to write to head office about me and have me put in the magazine, but to be honest i'm not 100% comfortable with it because I have been modifying the plan a little (ie. not synning healthy food like avocados because I only use a tablespoons worth, and calorie counting while following the plan)

I know i'm still technically following the plan but I just don't feel comfortable with it..maybe ill change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Hi thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm thrilled SW works for you.
    I think what confuses me, when I really think about it, is the Syns.
    You're allowed 5-15 a day.
    So what if you didn't eat any Syns all week..can you use them all on a weekend night?
    For example..on WW, you have a daily allowance plus a weekly allowance of 49. I use my 49 at the weekend.
    So, on SW, can you save your Syns for the weekend? If not, how do people have a few drinks/takeaways for special occasions, for example?

You can do that - but simple fact is it wont work for everyone. I've got away with having one night out - switched to vodka rather than wine now and sticking on plan rest of week & lost steadily for the last 6 weeks. This week though, I had a sts - so if that happens again will have to decide which is more important for me - losing 2-4lb a week and getting rid of the excess weight and giving up alcohol for a while or it taking me 2 years or more at 1lb off 2lb on 1 lb off - which is what I've seen happen for a lot of people (especially on WW) & then you give up and gain.
    This isn't a diet it's a life plan - I'm fat because I eat & drink too much - it has to change for good. It's what's more important to you that matters, until you have your head in the right place no diet plan is going to work for you as you basically resist it.

Trotsky00 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thinking of joining tw, as my wedding is exactly one year away this week. Just wondering as a man do many (or any men) go to these meetings? And would it be recommended to men?

Thanks
    Have a look at the online site - this year's slimmer of the year was a man. He lost nearly 18 stone! He's now a consultant. Good Luck with it - I do online as not near a class.

Hi boxercreations

I totally agree you'll have to sacrifice a certain aspect of your normal life in order to achieve a weightloss, but when you've been a WW member and have a weekly allowance of 49 ProPoints to spend on treats/alcohol, it's very hard to then join SW and find there is no such allowance and yes, it is basically a choice between losing weight and drinking, but on WW, you can drink and lose weight.

WW focuses more on the fact that you don't have to give up anything.
    The SW leader basically admitted that alcohol wasn't going to help you lose weight; one lady said she's had to give up her weekly night out with her husband because she can't have a few pints.

That's ridiculous. We all need to unwind.
    I wrote everything down that I ate, plus I drank wine on Friday and Saturday and I lost 4 and a half pounds in one week on WW.
    So for me, WW must work and maybe I've been in denial that it was the plan that wasn't working-deep down, I don't think I've been 100% on track with it.

I'm going to get back on track now and I'll report back to you.

Hazel2011 wrote: »
    Ok I have to tell ye what I did.
    I happened to put up a post here saying that the nearest SW meeting was in Galway n that was too far for me to drive every week from Ennis and that to join online would not give me the kick in the a** that I need .
    I happened to be visiting Family about 2 hours away from Home and met a friend I had not seen in some time. Boys oh boys she was in fab form n looking great. It ends up she has lost a Mega 4 stone all thanks to her hard work and the support of SW.
    That was it , my mind was made up....I wanted to look and feel as good about myself as my pal had...I HAD TO FIND A SW MEETING SOMEWHERE. I found one and was there for 2 full hours , yes I had to do a New Members meeting and then stay for the weekly meeting.
    I loved it.The support there is something I have never seen before in any other Weight loss prog. I even got a text mid week from the leader asking how I was doing and if I had any questions.....So YES I am so glad I am a MEMBER and YES I have decided I will now drive to the Galway meetings weekly as I feel it is worth it and so am I . I want to lose the weight and I want to do this for myself, also making Friends from this would be an extra Yahoo !!! Its my First week and I have lots to learn . All tips and hints welcome. Thanks for reading .
    Well done - having that "fire in your belly" certainly helps. I'm doing it online as no class near enough for me & sometimes would like a bit more real help - as in talking or listening rather than just online reading but what the hell, I'll get there. I go swimming in Ennis when I can find a baby sitter & the time - only been going last 7 weeks or so, got over my "I must lose 2 stone before I can wear a swimsuit" and got my fat ass in the water & have to say I love it. I think finding an exercise you like is key, even though they say you'll lose weight just with the plan.

Hi boxercreations

I totally agree you'll have to sacrifice a certain aspect of your normal life in order to achieve a weightloss, but when you've been a WW member and have a weekly allowance of 49 ProPoints to spend on treats/alcohol, it's very hard to then join SW and find there is no such allowance and yes, it is basically a choice between losing weight and drinking, but on WW, you can drink and lose weight.

WW focuses more on the fact that you don't have to give up anything.
    The SW leader basically admitted that alcohol wasn't going to help you lose weight; one lady said she's had to give up her weekly night out with her husband because she can't have a few pints.

That's ridiculous. We all need to unwind.
    I once wrote everything down that I ate, plus I drank wine on Friday and Saturday and I lost 4 and a half pounds on WW.
    So for me, WW must work and maybe I've been in denial that it was the plan that wasn't working-deep down, I don't think I've been 100% on track with it.

I'm going to get back on track now and I'll report back to you.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. If you're 100% WW will work - if you're 100% SW will work.
    It all comes down to in v out - no matter what name we put on it. Personally, I really dislike WW (eat all the c***p they brand & we'll have a nation of skinny diabetics, the sugar contents are ridiculous) - always had, so it will never work for me. My focus would be on it failing not succeeding.
    Good Luck with it though - once your head is in gear the rest is easy :)

boxercreations-Agree with you..once your head is in gear, once you have the determination, no matter what diet you're on, you'll succeed.
    I don't actually eat any WW branded foods-I think it's just a case of being so used to the WW programme.
    For you, you prefer SW, I suppose we're all different.
    Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ladymuck

Hi all. Can i join in? I joined on Monday and am very confused;-) i was in ww low carb atkins etc. I believe this seems to be healthy eating for life. I can't believe you can loose weight and eat all the foods i have banned...e.g. potato. Do ye mind looking at what i ate yesterday and tell me if ok or too much or wrong choices.

Breakfast:
    Whetabix milk banana

Lunch:
    Potato beans salad rice muller light

Dinner:
    Chicken peppers onions potato
    Strawberry and muller light.

I am very confused ... Please help. ... :-)

Milk was a and Whetabix was b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Trotsky00 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks
    nearly more men in our group than women, one man has lost over 11 stone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ladymuck wrote: »
    Hi all. Can i join in? I joined on Monday and am very confused;-) i was in ww low carb atkins etc. I believe this seems to be healthy eating for life. I can't believe you can loose weight and eat all the foods i have banned...e.g. potato. Do ye mind looking at what i ate yesterday and tell me if ok or too much or wrong choices.

Breakfast:
    Whetabix milk banana

Lunch:
    Potato beans salad rice muller light

Dinner:
    Chicken peppers onions potato
    Strawberry and muller light.

I am very confused ... Please help. ... :-)

Milk was a and Whetabix was b
    make sure you measure your milk, most important... also snack on fruit etc, plums, melon etc you should have 1/3 of your meal superfree... also drink loads of water... best of luck on the plan

hello Whelan 1
    What you have eaten seems fine.
    It is very important to eat 5 to 15 syns a day as this helps you lose weight.
    Also your syns can help your meals taste better and help you with not eating the same meals always.
    If you look in the back of the orange book you will find the syns values for a lot of food, drinks, sauces ect.
    I would also join as a member on the slimming world website. On the back of you sw card under where you sign it you will see 2 numbers. Just log into the slimming world site and follow the info given. On the site you can find out the syns value for products, find recipies and you can put in your food diary's.
    You can also enter your weight each week so you can see a graph showing your loss to date ect.
    Good Luck.

okiss wrote: »
    hello Whelan 1
    What you have eaten seems fine.
    It is very important to eat 5 to 15 syns a day as this helps you lose weight.
    Also your syns can help your meals taste better and help you with not eating the same meals always.
    If you look in the back of the orange book you will find the syns values for a lot of food, drinks, sauces ect.
    I would also join as a member on the slimming world website. On the back of you sw card under where you sign it you will see 2 numbers. Just log into the slimming world site and follow the info given. On the site you can find out the syns value for products, find recipies and you can put in your food diary's.
    You can also enter your weight each week so you can see a graph showing your loss to date ect.
    Good Luck.
    Oh gosh thanks so much. I didn't realise all this. Can't wait to log on ;-) everybody here is doing so well. Im reading the posts learning. Im so nervous about weigh in. Im eating so much more. Was not understanding syns so will start using them. When 1 thanks for your advise too.
    Ladymuck x

I was doing the exact same as you last week, trying to learn by reading this, had my first weigh in last night 4lbs lost so delighted and i still have my few drink sat night :) You get a real boost at the class as all are happy for you so its kinda driving me on for next week already. I felt i was eating more too but looks like my body is appreciating the fresh fruit and veg!!!!
    Oh gosh thanks so much. I didn't realise all this. Can't wait to log on ;-) everybody here is doing so well. Im reading the posts learning. Im so nervous about weigh in. Im eating so much more. Was not understanding syns so will start using them. When 1 thanks for your advise too.
    Ladymuck x

Dair wrote: »
    I was doing the exact same as you last week, trying to learn by reading this, had my first weigh in last night 4lbs lost so delighted and i still have my few drink sat night :) You get a real boost at the class as all are happy for you so its kinda driving me on for next week already. I felt i was eating more too but looks like my body is appreciating the fresh fruit and veg!!!!
    Ladymuck x
    Wow very well done. I would love to loose 4pounds. Still have to get my head around this. The online SW is very good. I just can't understand eating food i have banned for years! I know what you mean re veg and feeling better for it. My husband commented yesterday wow that's a lot of food but very healthy... It was tomato caucus salad and 2 soft fried eggs! Prob sounds gross to most but was Yummmmm. Go ahead chic thins are good syns value at 3,5 for one. Ladymuck. X.

What are the go ahead chic thins i havent heard of them before??

I made turkey yuk sug last night and it was delicious... i followed the reciepe but repace veggies i dont like, oyster sauce was the syn and had homemade sweet potato chips with the nando chip shake over them... Completly filled the void and satisfied my craving for chips!!

any ideas for bringing lunch to work? Am allowed make soup???
    Wow very well done. I would love to loose 4pounds. Still have to get my head around this. The online SW is very good. I just can't understand eating food i have banned for years! I know what you mean re veg and feeling better for it. My husband commented yesterday wow that's a lot of food but very healthy... It was tomato caucus salad and 2 soft fried eggs! Prob sounds gross to most but was Yummmmm. Go ahead chic thins are good syns value at 3,5 for one. Ladymuck. X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

So doing Sw 6/7 weeks now didn't follow plan 100% but still lost 4 lbs in first month, then a death in family resulted in me eating lot of junk and put on 3 1/2lbs. Now last week I was at a all inclusive holiday resort, so can't only imagine the damage I done. Came back on sat and weigh in 2mo so hopefully it's not to bad. Been good yesterday and today, went running and cycling as well

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Hi all I joined last week and have been doing my best to follow the plan, the only problem im having really is im hearing things that id assumed are syn free aren't so if someone could clear up a few loose ends:

Muller light yogurts (fat free) are they all syn free or are some of them syned and if so how many

Sparkling flavored water:(made with artificial sweetners)

the recipe for syn free crisps is it actually free?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Can anyone tell me how good the online version is? I'm mad to join but no classes in my area so I was thinking of joining online. Is it the same thing?

• Advertisement

Hello Ditzy Fairy
    If you join as a member on the slimming world website you can put in the muller yougerts to see which ones have syns from memory it is cheesecake ones in the 6 pack but there may be others.
    In regards to the Sparkling flavored water I would watch these. I was looking at a volvic one and it had 3 or 4 syns per 250 ml.
    I would use the suger free dilute drinks instead - the tesco no sugar lime or the robinson's special R orange and pinapple are both nice. You could make them with fizzy water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement