Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so were less than 2 weeks away from the first show (april 8th).

never thought id see the day. Surly someone will stream it online. This will prob be the one of the biggest rock events of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've never heard all of this rehearsal. Class to hear steven playing UYI stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've never heard all of this rehearsal. Class to hear steven playing UYI stuff.

Thanks for that I've been looking for a live version of " locomotive " for an age the only on I could get was the rehearsal with Jeff beck for the Paris gig
    Is it just me or us there more of a groove to those songs with Adler on the sticks
    Or else they just sound better in the raw than been over produced in the studio with multi layerd tracks and the like
    It's a pity izzys mic wasn't turned up fully for dust and bones would of been s cracker.

Thanks for that I've been looking for a live version of " locomotive " for an age the only on I could get was the rehearsal with Jeff beck for the Paris gig
    Is it just me or us there more of a groove to those songs with Adler on the sticks
    Or else they just sound better in the raw than been over produced in the studio with multi layerd tracks and the like
    It's a pity izzys mic wasn't turned up fully for dust and bones would of been s cracker.

Yeah even on these few non AFD songs steven's natural groove that he has comes through. It makes me wonder how different the UYI albums would sound with him on all of them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

UYI's drumming wise would've been more groove oriented instead of the somewhat robotic drumming of Matt Sorum, and I'm not throwing Matt under the bus, he just recorded what was written.. If only Steven had managed to get his stuff together in time.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    UYI's drumming wise would've been more groove oriented instead of the somewhat robotic drumming of Matt Sorum, and I'm not throwing Matt under the bus, he just recorded what was written.. If only Steven had managed to get his stuff together in time.

Well Matt was clearly a more technically skilled drummed than Steven. Thats not saying he's a better drummer in my opinion. I agree lithium it sounded robotic and the illusion albums sounded bloated like the Chinese democracy stuff actually.

Well Matt was clearly a more technically skilled drummed than Steven. Thats not saying he's a better drummer in my opinion. I agree lithium it sounded robotic and the illusion albums sounded bloated like the Chinese democracy stuff actually.

Yeah being technical is all well and good, but something gets lost with that kind of drumming, the Illusions were bloated, but hey it was the 90's GN'R were on top of the world...

Whereas Chinese was bloated because everyone in the band post Classic years, producers, whatnot were too afraid to rein Axl in for fear of being fired/pissing him off, I'm sure you've read the Chinese Whispers detailing the years the album was being made..

Come to think of it, I'd love it if Axl released the original Illusions and Chinese material without all the bells and whistles..

Yeah being technical is all well and good, but something gets lost with that kind of drumming, the Illusions were bloated, but hey it was the 90's GN'R were on top of the world...

Whereas Chinese was bloated because everyone in the band post Classic years, producers, whatnot were too afraid to rein Axl in for fear of being fired/pissing him off, I'm sure you've read the Chinese Whispers detailing the years the album was being made..

Come to think of it, I'd love it if Axl released the original Illusions and Chinese material without all the bells and whistles..
    i think slash said in his book that he has/or heard the illusion albums without all the bells and whistles. I'd love to hear them.

Lithium do you find that with the reunion happening its easier for you to admit you're a guns fan ?

• Advertisement

Also I take it the first show they do they will open with jungle ?

i think slash said in his book that he has/or heard the illusion albums without all the bells and whistles. I'd love to hear them.

Lithium do you find that with the reunion happening its easier for you to admit you're a guns fan ?
    Also I take it the first show they do they will open with jungle ?

Slash did say in his book that he heard the Illusions without all the bells and whistles.. Will the fans get to hear that version of the Illusions, that's ultimately up to Axl..

I was always a Guns fans, reunion or not, though more partial to the Classic line up of the band, with the 2006-2009 line up coming 2nd.

Who knows what they'll open with, would be weird if it was with Chinese and Slash playing Robin's parts.

Slash did say in his book that he heard the Illusions without all the bells and whistles.. Will the fans get to hear that version of the Illusions, that's ultimately up to Axl..

I was always a Guns fans, reunion or not, though more partial to the Classic line up of the band, with the 2006-2009 line up coming 2nd.

Who knows what they'll open with, would be weird if it was with Chinese and Slash playing Robin's parts.
    Yeah but I doubt many if any Chinese songs will be played. I'm hopeful some illusion songs we haven't heard are played. I hope the illusion version of KOHD is played.

I don't know, I could see the Chinese Democracy stuff played live during the Vegas shows, but Coachella could possibly be a classics only setlist.

This is from the greatest hits lawsuit and gives an look into the legal standing that slash and duff had in the band when they left.

II. FACTUAL BACKGROUND

A. Background Facts Relevant To The Relationship Between UMG And Guns N' Roses

The relationship between Guns N' Roses and UMG's Geffen Records division dates back to 1986, when Geffen's corporate predecessor, The David Geffen Company, entered into a recording agreement with five individuals, Steven Adler, Izzy Stradlin, Michael 'Duff McKagan, Saul Hudson (p/k/a 'Slash') and W. Axl Rose, who were professionally known as 'Guns N' Roses.' Hoffman Decl. ¶ 2. In 1992, Geffen's corporate predecessor entered into a new recording agreement with Messrs. Hudson, McKagan and Rose dated September 1, 1992 (hereinafter the 'Recording Agreement'). Prior to the signing of the 1992 Recording Agreement, Adler and Stradlin had left the band (although they still retained a royalty interest in master recordings created under the original 1986 agreement during their tenure in the band.) Id.

Since 1992, the parties have executed various amendments to the Recording Agreement, including most notably, two amendments dated as of May 1, 1998. One of these amendments, see Froeling Decl. Ex. D, confirmed Slash's and Duff's departure from the band and their status as 'Leaving Members' under the 1992 Recording Agreement, thereby relieving them of charges against their royalty accounts for the enormous recording costs and other expenses being incurred by Axl Rose (the only 'Remaining Member'[FN1] of Guns N' Roses) in connection with the recording of the new Guns N' Roses studio album. Hoffman Decl. ¶ 3. Slash and Duff, like Stradlin and Adler before them, retained a royalty interest in masters created under the Recording Agreement prior to their departure from the band. Id In the other May 1, 1998 amendment, see Hoffman Decl. Ex. A, Axl Rose agreed, among other things, to deliver that new studio LP (which was even then long overdue under the Recording Agreement) no later than March 1, 1999 and received a substantial advance from Geffen in return. Hence, although other individuals have joined Axl Rose in performing under the name 'Guns N' Roses' since 1998, Rose is the only principal in the band. Id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

I know it must be a natural reaction for a musician but I wish when they're playing someone else's song they'd stick to it note for note. ****ing hated some of Ashba's solos. I can see them playing Tracks 1,3,4,7,11 and 13...Side-note..Only once (on this very thread) have I heard someone say that 'Sorry' is about the top-hatted one even though Axl said the opposite about any of the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

RayK0309 wrote: »
    I know it must be a natural reaction for a musician but I wish when they're playing someone else's song they'd stick to it note for note. ****ing hated some of Ashba's solos. I can see them playing Tracks 1,3,4,7,11 and 13...Side-note..Only once (on this very thread) have I heard someone say that 'Sorry' is about the top-hatted one even though Axl said the opposite about any of the songs.

Slash stated in his book that he resented being made reproduce Keith Richards solo note for note when Guns recorded Sympathy For The Devil so maybe Ashba took his cues from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Overall his book was boring..The Steven Adler thing...I wonder could they keep the money away from him until he does a few shows and then let him off. He's gonna go out like Scarface but in a kind-hearted way. Throwin a big party.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/28/axl-rose-ac-dc-in-studio/

Well looks like the AC/DC rumours with regards to axl seem to be true.

Sure the lyrics to Sorry read like a big **** YOU to Slash, but that song could be about anyone in Axl's life, I'm sure a lot of people have wronged him in his life.. And Sorry was just his way to vent..

Also it's one of the best songs on Chinese Democracy along with There Was A Time, Better, Madagascar.

• Advertisement

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/28/axl-rose-ac-dc-in-studio/

Well looks like the AC/DC rumours with regards to axl seem to be true.

So axl could be performing twice (ac/dc and GNR) for all tour dates ???. how will his voice hold up

Stop jumping the gun, christ amazing how one rumour from a nameless dj in Atlanta snowball into something else entirely. Also AC/DC opening for Guns, no **** no I am sorry, in what world/universe is that acceptable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Ashba didn't recreate the solos note for note because he is an absolutely **** guitarist.

How that bellend ever got on a stage with Axl is beyond me.

Red King wrote: »
    Ashba didn't recreate the solos note for note because he is an absolutely **** guitarist.

How that bellend ever got on a stage with Axl is beyond me.

Robin Finck left (could you blame him), and Axl was apparently auditioning guitarists as soon as or even before Robin had jumped back to NIN.

so exciting

Wrestlemania/hurling league QFs this weekend and then the return of GNR the weekend after.

just hoping that someone Periscopes/Meerkats GNRs first show

Slane 2017 is strongly rumoured ??

Even though it's nearly here until I actually see it pictures and videos I won't believe it.

I can see the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas going bat-**** (not start a riot bat-**** now) when the open to Welcome To The Jungle rings out.. **** what I'd give to be there.

I can see the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas going bat-**** (not start a riot bat-**** now) when the open to Welcome To The Jungle rings out.. **** what I'd give to be there.

I hope they get slash's guitar tech to do the intro like they used to do during the illusion days.

I hope they get slash's guitar tech to do the intro like they used to do during the illusion days.

That was actually Del James who used to do that :P

• Advertisement

Also during the st louis show they should do jungle somewhere other than first and slash and frank should feck up the start just for ****s and giggles.:D:D

Advertisement