Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

I don't see why he should be involved in making music if he's not gonna bother his hole touring. Also what was his contribution to 'Appetite' lyrically speaking?..was there any one song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

RayK0309 wrote: »
    I don't see why he should be involved in making music if he's not gonna bother his hole touring. Also what was his contribution to 'Appetite' lyrically speaking?..was there any one song?

You'll probably find from reading the autobiographies of slash and duff that the writing of Appetite was more of a collective that's why lyrics and music were credited to all five members although I do remember reading in slash's book that when deciding on the royalties for Appetite Axl got 25% Slash Izzy and Duff got 20 % each and poor auk Steve got 15%

Aye..it's just that I'm not a musician so I never understood why Izzy was always championed as the 'heart' of the band. I thought it was a fairly equal affair as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well one way to know if it's truly Izzy, check MYGNR, they have a few posters there genuinely in the know

Yeah studio rumours are intriguing to say the least, possibility of new music isn't completely out of the equation.. I mean everyone's sober now compared to the heyday..

Agreed, Slash & Axl may have been the cool guys of Guns, but Izzy was the heart and soul of classic Guns.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Red King wrote: »
    Such as?

Can't remember exact names, then again it's MYGNR, best taken with a pinch of salt..

• Advertisement

Can't remember exact names, then again it's MYGNR, best taken with a pinch of salt..

Or a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Well it's most definitely Izzy himself.

https://twitter.com/IzzyStradlin999/status/704537465495748608

And he left a voicemail for Rolling Stone! Part of me is still not entirely convinced though...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/izzy-stradlin-no-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion-20160301

Alice In Chains added to the 2 Vegas gigs on April 8th & 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Alice In Chains added to the 2 Vegas gigs on April 8th & 9th.

If that lineup happened in Ireland I'd be all over it. So class!

Well it's most definitely Izzy himself.

https://twitter.com/IzzyStradlin999/status/704537465495748608

And he left a voicemail for Rolling Stone! Part of me is still not entirely convinced though...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/izzy-stradlin-no-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion-20160301

Not convinced of what?

• Advertisement

That it was actually Izzy! I am now though...more or less :pac:

Weird to think that the Vegas shows are a month away, and we have no confirmation (bar Axl, Slash & Duff) of who else is in the line up, no interviews, nothing, just complete radio silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

On the subject of Izzy, it does sort of feel like he's easing his way back into the public consciousness again. Maybe these little internet cameos are his way of psyching himself up for some part in the reunion, or maybe all the speculation has re-ignited some of his own musical ambition.

I will say that his choice of songs demonstrates how far away his musical tastes are from GNR. That guy is as far removed from arena rock as you can get.

Weird to think that the Vegas shows are a month away, and we have no confirmation (bar Axl, Slash & Duff) of who else is in the line up, no interviews, nothing, just complete radio silence.

What's also strange is the complete media black out with regards to the rehearsals and also allegedly that Axl hasn't turned up for rehearsals yet there's confirmation of slash duff and frank Ferrer rehearsing I think it was slash who posted up a pic of his guitar with franks drum kit in the back ground
    Unless izzy is attempting to pull of Israel mark 2. Way back when Gilby Clark broke his arm in a motor bike accident Izzy rejoined for a handful of shows I remember reading that slash was peeved of with him saying he wasn't arsed to rehearse at all resulting in loose ropey shows.
    With regards to izzys musical taste nowadays I think he's sticking true to form he was always more influenced by the stones,small faces,Hanoi rocks side of things as opposed to slash and duffs more punk and hard rock driven influences
    There's a few clips around u tube that's separates izzys guitar parts from the rest of the band on a few Appetite tracks. To be honest if you didn't know what song was playing it'd take a while to guess it,such is izzys unique style. And its this unique style that makes him central to the gnr sound

Anyone care to post a top 5 Izzy/Slash/Duff sole tune list?I never bothered to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone care to post a top 5 Izzy/Slash/Duff sole tune list?I never bothered to listen.

Have to admit I haven't listened to much of Izzy or Duff, but some of Slash's stuff is amazing.

This is my favourite, I'd sell my soul to the devil to hear Axl do it (although I'm a big fan of Myles).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bu_sMqZyOTg

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Have to admit I haven't listened to much of Izzy or Duff, but some of Slash's stuff is amazing.

This is my favourite, I'd sell my soul to the devil to hear Axl do it (although I'm a big fan of Myles).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bu_sMqZyOTg

Nice! Hold on though, you may not have to sell your soul...I hate to be a buzzkill but this reunion for me rests not on time-keeping or money but Axl's voice. I hope that for 70% of each of the first few shows it holds together. If people aren't turning up for rehearsals they better be doing their homework..maybe a shorter set

Not sure about a top 5 but this is by some distance my favourite Slash 'solo' tune. Classic sunny day, drivetime riff...and Izzy plays on it too :cool:

• Advertisement

"Ladies and gentlemen , you wanted the best ... Well they didn't fxxkin make it so here's what you get. From Hollywood Guns N fxxkin Roses !!!!"
    Any bets on what the opening notes of the partially reformed gnr will be ?
    Personally I always thought "welcome to the jungle" would be a great opener especially with Axls " do you know where the fxxk you are" line along with flashing lights, sirens then that riff kicks in.
    I know Nightrain has traditionally been an opener but I always found the choo choo intro a bit lame for the "baddest band on the planet".
    Or else forget the pleasantries and get straight to business with " It's so easy"
    Any other suggestions or fantasy set lists
    Hopefully they convince Izzy to come on early for "14 years" he see's the crowd reaction and he stays on. And finishes up with Steve Alder on Rocket Queen and Paradise City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The baddest band on the planet haha not having that they are headlining Coachcella FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Wouldn't it be great if they opened with Sorry, leading into Crucify The Dead. It'd be a real "breaking the ice" moment for Axl and Slash.

My World in the encore would also be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Opening with My World - think that would be the end of the reunion right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

It would be great to hear Slash (and Duff) add to the unreleased ChiDem tracks, but I'd still love to hear the original versions with Robin and Bucket playing on them. Maybe Axl would release them as "Chinese Democracy demos" or something? Would love to hear what Slash could solo over This I Love too, but I think Robin's solo is a thing of beauty as it stands. "The General" is another one I've been dying to hear for years, but now that Tommy Stinson is gone we might never get to hear it. And it might be a bit weird if Axl is singing a song about someone in the band who isn't even there anymore ("Sorry" excluded).

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Opening with My World - think that would be the end of the reunion right there.

....but closing with My World. Masterstroke.

RVD420 wrote: »
    It would be great to hear Slash (and Duff) add to the unreleased ChiDem tracks, but I'd still love to hear the original versions with Robin and Bucket playing on them. Maybe Axl would release them as "Chinese Democracy demos" or something? Would love to hear what Slash could solo over This I Love too, but I think Robin's solo is a thing of beauty as it stands. "The General" is another one I've been dying to hear for years, but now that Tommy Stinson is gone we might never get to hear it. And it might be a bit weird if Axl is singing a song about someone in the band who isn't even there anymore ("Sorry" excluded).

....but closing with My World. Masterstroke.

Well whatever of the unreleased stuff, maybe Axl could delete some guitar parts from songs allowing Slash to add his touch, I mean do they really need 3 guitar players on the song, 2 would work just fine... I always wondered what GN'R would sound like with Robin playing off Slash, Duff could always improve on Tommy Stinson's recorded stuff, snippets of The General exist online.. And The General is supposedly the follow up to Estranged, had nothing to do with Stinson..

The lineup is Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Fortus, Ferrer

Izzy confirmed on twitter he is not part of it and he's clearly pissed off judging by the cover songs he has been posting to his twitter.

Pitman is also out, had a meltdown on Facebook about it then deleted his Facebook and issued an apology to the band on twitter.

The lineup is Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Fortus, Ferrer

Izzy confirmed on twitter he is not part of it and he's clearly pissed off judging by the cover songs he has been posting to his twitter.

Pitman is also out, had a meltdown on Facebook about it then deleted his Facebook and issued an apology to the band on twitter.

That's actually a solid line up, I think it's what most people had in their head, so if Izzy has ruled himself out, does that mean guest appearances as well I wonder..

Good riddance to Pitman, he had to be the most useless member ever.

If Izzy has ruled himself out, does that mean guest appearances as well I wonder..

He said that he has no involvement with the April gigs as of this time. He appears to be annoyed about the situation.

• Advertisement

He said that he has no involvement with the April gigs as of this time. He appears to be annoyed about the situation.

Should it turn out to be true, it'd be a shame, maybe Axl, Slash, Duff knew that maybe Izzy wouldn't be able to be pinned down/commit for the gigs so they kept Fortus as back up.

OR

IF it turns out that no one in Axl's management or Slash & Duff's camps respectively reached out to Izzy to see if he were available - Then Izzy has every right to be annoyed..

Then again we don't know what the hell is going on because the whole damn reunion is shrouded in secrecy.. Guns are the definition of a dysfunctional band.

Advertisement