Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Those people going to the Vegas shows are so ****ing lucky. They get to see and hear something that hasn't happened since 1993. It's either duff or slashs guitar tech who's did the intro back in the day.

If the came t Europe then in my case all bets are off. My savings might take a dent is all I'm saying.

Talk is 2017 will be the Euro tour. Slane is rumoured for here

Someone did say the aviva in August dis year but doubt that's true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Talk is 2017 will be the Euro tour. Slane is rumoured for here

Someone did say the aviva in August dis year but doubt that's true

Would they fill Slane or the Aviva 25 years on? Doubt it....?

very much i think. fans that were at slane in 1992 would go and would bring there kids/grandkids to it. Guns n roses will be reborn and all traces of the nu gnr will be gone (dublin 2010 is long gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

damn right they would. as long as we are guaranteed a bunch of the oldies and none of the Chinese junk. though there might be a few decent new tunes on the way now they are talking again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

This could mean anything and bear in the mind the date of the cancelled show but still...!!!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-guns-n-roses-drummer-steven-adler-cancels-whisky-a-go-go-concert-venue-promises-big-announcement/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He looks like he still has a bit of beer gut, then again with the t-shirt, it's hard to tell.. Everyone would love to know why he pulled the 180 on Slash, maybe Duff was a factor, or maybe the cliché of time heals all wounds rang true, and both men decided to bury the proverbial hatchet.

Best thing for this reunion, is to keep "Team Brazil" as far away from it as possible, let real managers handle it.

I think he looks pretty good for his age. He is 54 years old and is said to be worth about $150 million. I know if I had that kind of money at his age I wouldn't be too worried about my appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This could mean anything and bear in the mind the date of the cancelled show but still...!!!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-guns-n-roses-drummer-steven-adler-cancels-whisky-a-go-go-concert-venue-promises-big-announcement/

So Steven's band has cancelled it's gig the date is still there and the whisky are promising a big announcement but it doesn't say Steven has any involvement. I agree with Adler saying slash doesn't trust him to keep his mouth shut. It would be madness to have gnr back at the whisky thirty years after they played there.

Also I think Steven is involved in same way in the reunion. I mean how many years was he bitching and morning about having a reunion and now we have it and if he wasn't involved, he'd be fing and blinding like a docker. He's saying nothing on social media so he's in in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Adler's been wanting this reunion since he was booted in 1990.

Adler's been wanting this reunion since he was booted in 1990.

Sure he hardly remembers the years after he was fired I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So Steven's band has cancelled it's gig the date is still there and the whisky are promising a big announcement but it doesn't say Steven has any involvement. I agree with Adler saying slash doesn't trust him to keep his mouth shut. It would be madness to have gnr back at the whisky thirty years after they played there.

You really think they're going to play Coachella with no warm ups? I reckon they'll be a couple of nights at The Whiskey

scudzilla wrote: »
    You really think they're going to play Coachella with no warm ups? I reckon they'll be a couple of nights at The Whiskey

Isn't that what the 2 Vegas shows early next month are for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

I'd go to see GNR if I had a time machine. I love their music from the late 80's but I feel going to see them now would ruin my fantasy. I like to think of them as if its still 1989 and they are releasing hit after hit from Appetite for Destruction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Why so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

I thought he meant ''madness'' as in way cool! A warm-up to the warm-up shows like..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Isn't that what the 2 Vegas shows early next month are for.

Any Vegas shows are BIG, they're charging big money for people to see them there, they will use those shows to tidy up any production issues, i'd put money on them playing 1 maybe 2 unnannounced gigs at The Whiskey, or somewhere similar to get the band in check

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's being rumoured now that Axl is to front AC/DC for the remaining 10 dates of their US tour due to Brian Johnson's hearing difficulties. It was reported earlier on Radio Nova, who took the story from Classic Rock magazine's website.

Wonder what this means for any rehearsals for the Guns tour???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

It is a bull**** story that originated with a no name radio DJ and MSL - the guy that runs gnrtruth who tried to blackmail GNR in the past with stolen emails.

It then got picked up by some ****ty blog and subsequently by blabbermouth and the usual.

It is nonsense.

Red King wrote: »
    It is a bull**** story that originated with a no name radio DJ and MSL - the guy that runs gnrtruth who tried to blackmail GNR in the past with stolen emails.

It then got picked up by some ****ty blog and subsequently by blabbermouth and the usual.

It is nonsense.

The same MSL who also leaked some of the Chinese Democracy stuff, there was a piece about him in a Classic Rock magazine years ago, think it was a year before Chinese came out, or a few weeks before the album was finally released..

30 years ago today, Guns N' Roses signed to Geffen Records.
    The Stories Behind The Songs: Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle

A song that came out of life “in the trenches” in LA and the struggle for survival, it lit the fuse and flung GN’R on to the road to becoming the greatest rock’n’roll band of their generation.

In the late 80s when Guns N’ Roses became the biggest hard rock band in the world, nobody saw it coming, least of all the band’s lead guitarist. Slash was 22 when GN’R’s debut album Appetite For Destruction was released in 1987. The album went on to sell more than 30 million copies worldwide and become the best-selling debut in US music history. But, as Slash says now: “If somebody had told me it was gonna be this huge record, I’d have laughed in their face.”

Unlike other big rock albums of that year – such as Def Leppard’s Hysteria and Whitesnake’s 1987 – Appetite had a sound that was memorably once described as “rawer than a whore’s thighs”. It had the bludgeoning force of early AC/DC, the decadent air of a drug-sick Aerosmith, the volatile energy of the Sex Pistols and a ****-you attitude eloquently expressed by foul-mouthed singer Axl Rose.

“We never conformed to anybody else’s expectations or standards or commercial demands or whatever,” Slash says. “No ****ing gimmicks. This was just rock’n’roll from the street – boom!”

And on an album that defined Guns N’ Roses as the greatest rock’n’roll band of their generation, no song was more definitive than its opening statement: Welcome To The Jungle.

It was one of the first songs written by the classic line-up of the group that came together in Los Angeles in June 1985 and made Appetite For Destruction: Rose, Slash, rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler. Thirty years on, Axl is the only one of the five to remain in GN’R. And in the 19 years since Slash quit the band, he and Axl haven’t spoken. But when Slash thinks back to ’85, he remembers a time in which they were so close that Slash’s mother let Axl live in a basement room at their home. And it was there that Welcome To The Jungle took shape.

“I had this riff,” Slash recalls, “and I remember playing it for Axl on an acoustic guitar. I said: ‘Check this out.’”

Axl liked what he heard. During the band’s next rehearsal, that basic riff was developed into a fully structured song.

“It was really the first thing we all collaborated on,” Slash says. “And it’s really a combination of everybody’s input.”

The song had a heavy swing to it – a dirty, nasty groove. But there was also a mid-section in which the band pulled back a little, easing the tension. This breakdown was lifted from a song called The Fake, which McKagan had written in 1978 when he was a member of Seattle punk band The Vains.

“I don’t want to say the word ‘bluesy’,” Slash says, “but it had a really cool kind of soulful feel. There was no analysing this stuff – writing a song was something that happened spontaneously. But in that whole ‘discovering ourselves’ period from eighty-five through eighty-six, when we were living very haphazardly and getting together and jamming, there was something going on that not a lot of people had. And this song just had this natural feel that was very cool.”

The title and lyrics came to Axl when he was visiting a friend named Tori near Seattle. Removed from LA, Axl was able to reconnect with the feelings he had on arriving in the city in 1982 as a wide-eyed, 20-year-old escapee of rural Indiana, drawn to the bright lights of Hollywood like so many other dreamers before him. He wrote of the struggle for survival in this place: ‘Ya learn to live like an animal/In the jungle where we play.’ In one line, he alluded to the hedonistic impulses that threatened to derail his band: ‘When you’re high you never ever wanna come down.’

“It was a very telling lyric,” Slash says. “Just the stark honesty of it. If you lived in Los Angeles, and lived in the trenches, so to speak, you could relate to it. And knowing Axl, I could relate to exactly where it was coming from.”

The finished version of the song – recorded at Rumbo Studios in Canoga Park, and produced by Mike Clink – was electrifying. The whole intro sounds like something bad is about to go down: an ominous quality in Slash’s first, echoing notes and fast descending run; a howl from Axl like the wailing of a police siren. The riff is as mean as a rattlesnake. There’s that cool breakdown – cited by Manic Street Preachers bassist Nicky Wire as evidence of a songwriting genius that elevated GN’R far above and beyond the route-one heavy metal of other 80s LA bands such as Mötley Crüe and Poison.

For Slash, so long estranged from Axl, the song is testimony to the unique chemistry they once had; something that is now lost forever. “Welcome To The Jungle has this high-velocity, high-impact, aggressive delivery,” he says, “but there were a lot of emotional subtleties in the song that the band really grasped. If Axl went here, the band went with him. I really love that about the band and the music and how it all came together. There was something magical in all of that.”

Above all, he says, Welcome To The Jungle is the essence of what Guns N’ Roses were. They were, says Slash, “one of the most genuine, straightforward rock’n’roll bands ever to come out”.

• Advertisement

Official site just posted this.

Well that's the U.S Tour confirmed then.

Looks like the city of philly has forgiven GNR after 2002

And St louis hahaha. I'd love it if it was in the same venue. It probably won't be.

Looks like the city of philly has forgiven GNR after 2001.

Sorry captain pedantic.

I wonder what the taking picture policy will be in st louis.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Is there a price ye wouldn't pay? I was really unfortunate and could only get a seating ticket for Acdc last summer. I think it was 90 quid. If the prices start headin in the Barbra Streisand direction Imma say no. You'd be better off tryna get a ticket for one of the European shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

RayK0309 wrote: »
    Is there a price ye wouldn't pay?.

Nope. There literally isn't.

Will they do a autumn Euro indoor tour or possibly a late summer tour ???

• Advertisement

I wonder what the taking picture policy will be in st louis.:D:D:D

I don't know whether you know this or not but the St. Louis incident was never over a camera.

It was over a shoulder mounted professional videocamera that a guy was using go video the entire concert. Security refused to take it so Axl took it into his own hands. Don't blame him one bit. He took far too much **** for that incident

Advertisement