Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Steven has just cancelled the US tour and is back in rehab.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-tour-postponed-rehab/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm not really surprised that Steven has relapsed, he's been flip flopping since he was booted from GN'R in the 90's, hope he gets himself together again though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just listened to that acoustic Welcome To The Jungle posted previously, I'm in disbelief, its absolutely appalling. When I think of the vocals from Rocket Queen {Tokyo '98} & compare them to this...its tragic really.

The rest of Guns N' Roses tour dates

May 24th
    Rocklahoma, Pryor, OK US

May 26th,
    River City Rockfest TX US

May 28th
    House of Blues Houston, TX US

May 29th
    House of Blues Dallas, TX US

Jun 1st
    Lonestar Amphitheater Lubbock , TX US

Jun 2nd
    The Midland by AMC Kansas City, MO US

Make of this what you will,
    http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/potential-new-guns-n-roses-album-for-2014

I won't believe it, until i can hold the new album in my hands or a track leaks online, until then i'll remain skeptical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

Today, Axl Rose is the only remaining original member, in a lineup that comprises Use Your Illusion–era keyboardist Dizzy Reed, lead guitarists DJ Ashba and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, lead and rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson, drummer Frank Ferrer and keyboardist Chris Pitman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Make of this what you will,
    http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/potential-new-guns-n-roses-album-for-2014

I won't believe it, until i can hold the new album in my hands or a track leaks online, until then i'll remain skeptical
    They probably meant 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd guess they have a ton of material from the Chinese Democracy sessions that could easily fill another album or two but knowing Axl, he keeps having it changed and re-recorded before getting bored and starting a different lot.

If he was able to focus and not go over the top on every song, they probably could have had two more albums since CD by now. They need at least one more, ideally two, with only a year or two between to get rid of the cover band stick.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd guess they have a ton of material from the Chinese Democracy sessions that could easily fill another album or two but knowing Axl, he keeps having it changed and re-recorded before getting bored and starting a different lot.

If he was able to focus and not go over the top on every song, they probably could have had two more albums since CD by now. They need at least one more, ideally two, with only a year or two between to get rid of the cover band stick.

I wonder did they really. I remember Sebastian Bach saying they had enough for two albums prior to Chinese Democracy being released.

Bottom line is he/they should have had several out by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It appears that Steven's issues at the moment are with the demon drink. I've never had any problems with booze thankfully and I can only imagine what it must be like to work in an environment where you are surrounded by the stuff and yet you just can't touch it. Hope he sorts himself out soon.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-drinking-relapse/

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal knows what you’re going to ask, and he’s tired of answering the question. During a live chat (March 2), the question of when fans can expect to hear new music from the band came up again, and Thal didn’t mince words: “You know what?! Just forget about a new record until it happens. I mean, I can’t even begin…How long have we been talking about a new f—ing record?”

Continued Thal, “And I’m the only that doesn’t bulls— you people about it and I say, no, we haven’t been in the studio together; no, we haven’t started writing together as a band.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-forget-about-a-new-record/

Axl just wants some extra cash for retirement from a bit of touring. Clearly he isn`t too interested in putting out new music - that much is blindingly obvious with the shenanigans releasing Chinese Democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new album. I just wish he'd release some of the extra Chinese Democracy stuff. Depending on who you listen to, he has between 3 to 6 albums worth of stuff "in the vault". Just release that as it is, without DJ Slashba's generic guitar playing all over the place.

RVD420 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new album. I just wish he'd release some of the extra Chinese Democracy stuff. Depending on who you listen to, he has between 3 to 6 albums worth of stuff "in the vault". Just release that as it is, without DJ Slashba's generic guitar playing all over the place.

Maybe he doesn`t, maybe he has a bunch of riffs or unfinished lyrics and parts of songs. Seems more likely to me.

Makes no sense to sit on 3-6 albums. Lets look at it logically.

We know he is touring so he wants money from touring or the guys he hired want money from touring.

If he is touring because he wants the money then the tours would benefit from album releases.

If he is touring in order to pay the guys he hired then it certainly seems like he has feck all material. Otherwise they`d have it all released now again to boost the touring. Goes a long way to explaining why he can`t hold a band together.

Axl is a perfectionist. He wont just release the material. He does it and re-does it probably thousands of times before he is happy with it. Thats assuming he doesnt lose interest and start a different song. That, coupled with the fact that they seemingly havent been to the studio, means we wont be getting anything for a while unless someone forces him to release something.

I wonder would they consider an EP rather than a full lenght album just to get something new out?

It's evil how Axl screwed Slash & Duff out of the legal rights to the name Guns N' Roses,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

There was 17 years between Use Your Illusions 2 and Chinese Democracy. Looks like we'll probably have to wait another 17 years for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I am not trying to be a troll, but I wouldn't mind if there was never another album from this lad.

Guns N' Roses - The only band being run by a Brazilian nanny and her family, and the only band where every member isn't on the same page about the topic of a new album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

As far as I am concerned Guns N Roses began dying when Izzy walked and dropped dead when Slash walked. To use a band's name and pretend it's business as usual when the two original guitarists, the bass Player and either one of the drummers who played on the classic material are gone is a joke. The G'N'R sound went with Izzy and Slash. I've seen the Axl Rose show and Velvet Revolver live and here's my honest opinion:

When I watched the absolutely dead sounding new G'N'R, it was mostly fret board w****r Bumblefoot, Izzy Stradlin wannabe Richard Fortus and poor man's Zakk Wylde aka Robin Finck, arse around showing off their lead guitar skills for half a concert, in between playing the most dead sounding renditions of G'N'R songs you could have the misfortune to hear, it was fairly clear that this was not even a straight up cover band, more an ego trip circus run by a washed up frontman who can't sing the songs anymore and it's cringe-worthy.

On the other hand when I saw Velvet Revolver, the performance, sound and overall attitude was brilliant. No arsing around and above all they played new and old songs and it was easy to tell that the new stuff is in a direct line back to the G'N'R of old. Nothing like seeing Slash belting out Sweet Child O Mine either.

We are not going to get anything like Illusion or Appetite from Axl Rose. He is more interested in making art pop and Chinese Democracy was basically an arty R'N'B album. Axl Rose takes ten plus years to make an album because a no show, is better than a bad show in his books. We won't hear anything new from him again I strongly suspect.

I'd much rather if Izzy Stradlin came into the fold as a singer/rhythm guitarist in a revitalized Velvet Revolver. If that happened and they made an album it would be a Guns N Roses album in all but name. Rose would be finished the moment Velvet Revolver 2.0 walked onto a stage and started playing Nightrain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree largely with 666. I loved Izzy Stradlin and when he walked I do not think GNR had another decent song. Alot of the best material was co wrote by Stradlin & Rose.
    Slash was cool in the Rock n Roll guitar hero way bit Izzy was cool in the 'I don't give a s***' way. He produced a great solo album a couple of years after he left aswell which is well worth a listen for any who haven't come across it.

Problem is Velvet Revolver sucked bar a small portion of Contraband. Their second album was abysmal and they rightly split up if that was the best they could do. Izzy turned down the chance to join Velvet Revolver when they were starting. He's happy doing his own thing and joining in with others whenever he feels like it. He deserves not to have to follow someone else's plans. A few years ago he joined Axl and Guns N' Roses for a few shows, he later said it took him three weeks to recover from touring for six weeks. He's not up for doing it full time and probably never will be.

Those six weeks are the best chance we had of a reunion imo. Duff has played with Axl a few times since Velvet Revolver split but like Izzy, is happy doing his own thing. Adler would jump over the moon to be involved again. Matt Sorum has no business in a reunion discussion. The problem is, and always has been, between Axl and Slash. Given the choice of Axl and Izzy or Slash and anyone, I'm voting Axl and Izzy.

• Advertisement

It was pure greed on Axl's part how he screwed Slash & Duff out of their rights to the GN'R name

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It was pure greed on Axl's part how he screwed Slash & Duff out of their rights to the GN'R name

He tried making them clean up their acts first. When that didnt happen he was simply protecting the investment. Way too much had gone into it to let drink and drugs kill it. What he did was smart from a business stand point. As a friend it was a dick move though.

He tried making them clean up their acts first. When that didnt happen he was simply protecting the investment. Way too much had gone into it to let drink and drugs kill it. What he did was smart from a business stand point. As a friend it was a dick move though.

Success went to Axl's head figuratively and literally, he single handedly destroyed the greatest rock n' roll band in a generation, he should've retired the GN'R name in '97 and gone solo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't care about any supposed new album personally, it's either coming or it's not, but maybe it's not in the band's financial interests to put out an album like that right now, maybe they'd rather wait until they weren't touring in order to put the album out, maybe there just isn't the time to come together and make new music with all the touring. Who cares.

If the band played here tomorrow or there tomorrow or anywhere that I could go and see them tomorrow, I'd go, without question. For me they are an excellent night's entertainment and that's all I'm concerned with at a gig.

And all this comparison to the old band should have stopped in 2002, this is a new act, who have refined and crafted their live set.

Tommy Stinson COULD be jacking in his gig as Guns N' Roses bass player, as he's part of The Replacements reunion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

He was feeding his ego, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boycrazy

One of my all time favorites is "November Rain"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

boycrazy wrote: »
    One of my all time favorites is "November Rain"

It is a fantastic song. I think that whole trilogy (with Don't Cry and the Estranged) sometimes gets forgotten. The only thing I'll never understand - I mean I know why they did it I just don't like it - is the alternative version lyric's to Don't Cry. Seemed like a massive waste of time. Then again, even Slash hadn't heard 'My World' at the end of UYI2 before that album was released.
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    There was 17 years between Use Your Illusions 2 and Chinese Democracy. Looks like we'll probably have to wait another 17 years for the next one.

You're forgetting about The Spaghetti Incident

You're also forgetting about Live Era, which Duff and Axl (and Slash) had to legally oversee certain parts of in order for it to be released. Both of those albums are Guns N' Roses albums. And although The Spaghetti Incident was recorded at the same time as UYI they actually recorded more of it on the Illusion Tour to turn it from an EP into an album.

The Spaghetti Incident was only created to take away the pressure of making the Illusion record (what they figured would just be one album) and then actually ended up becoming an album of it's own.

Also, as I'm sure a lot of you are aware, most of Use Your Illusion 1 is actually just material that couldn't be included on Appetite for Destruction. The band included songs like Back Off Bitch and Don't Cry in their set list years before they were even signed. In fact, Back Off Bitch (co-written by future GNR guitarist Paul Tobias who, for some reason, also went under the name Paul Huge) was on the band's very first audition tape.

Axl Rose once called Paul Tobias "a man without whom there would be no Guns N Roses" - then Tobias disappeared and nobody knows what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Regarding the Guns N'Roses guitar players discussion, in some ways the fact Buckethead left is as big a loss than Slash, from a Chinese Democracy perspective. Not that BH being onstage would sell any extra tickets or any extra albums.

But from a musical perspective his guitar playing was all over Chinese Democracy, and was generally the highlights of the album and it suited Guns N' Roses. There Was A Time, Sorry, Shackler's Revenge, Prostitute and IRS are some examples; knowing when to shred and when not to shred. He also got co-writing credits on my two favourite songs from the album - Sorry and Shackler's Revenge - also Scraped, which sucked in fairness.

Compare that with Bumblefoot shredding over Catcher In The Rye and Riad N' The Bedouins - its embarrassing.

It's interesting that Axl has tour not only without Slash, but also the star of the only album released since.

• Advertisement

Axl rant from Oklahoma '92 + transcript

"Do you believe all the **** you read? Do you ever wonder why you're given so much **** to read? You're given a lot of **** to read, because, there's a lot of ****ing people out there who... I don't think I should even give them the credit to say that they're very conscious of that which they're doing. But it's mainly because they don't want things like this concert here in Oklahoma to ****ing happen. Yeah, there's a lot of people who don't know why they do things. But some of the reasons behind that. They don't the people like you, that are here tonight, to see some little loud mouth ****er like me. Who crawled out some ****hole somewhere, and worked his way up onto this stage. They don't want... There's something out there that doesn't want people like you to realize that you can do whatever the **** you want with your God damn life. And there are those that unless they get a piece of the pie, unless they get a piece of your ass, unless they get a piece of your life, they just don't want it to happen. You do it their way or you don't do it. They can suck my dick. I believe that deep inside everybody, there's something inside you that knows what the **** you're supposed to do with your life. And no matter what anybody tells you, if you keep looking and you keep digging, you're gonna find it. And you can be the person you ****ing were meant to be on this God damn planet. And don't let anybody, anybody, ever get in your way. Including me. And I know it's not like the most humane thing, but you can, when it gets real rough, you can think of a theme song that somebody else wrote. Namely Mr. Paul McCartney. And when they're trying to keep you down, just hold on and know someday you'll bust out, you'll get onto your own **** and they won't be able to ****ing keep up with your ass. And you can be thinking just Live And Let Die mother****er."

Advertisement