Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O Neill Challenge 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chinomel

Hi.
    Did the Dublin Mountain Way yesterday as a training walk before the Art. Twenty six miles from Shankhill to Tallagh in lovely winter sunshine.
    It struck me that for any of the ultra runners in training this would make a great day out.
    It is easily accessable by Dart at one end and Luas at the other, it is all on good dry ground , it is waymarked and you are never too far from civilisation inthe event of a mishap. The only downside is that half of it is on road with a particularly boring section between The Scalp and Glencullen.
    For the really hard men it would make a great mountain marathon.
    w200

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Excellent idea. I'll give that some serious thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

Hiked up Ballinabrocky today. Is this on the route of this years AON?

Not anymore. Go to www.artoneillchallenge.ie for further information.

See here also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNfNNgsGSOU

Here's the distances breakdown for the AON:

Castle - Stone Cross - 15k
    Stone Cross - Kilbride Army Camp(CP1) - 5k
    Kilbride - Ballynultagh Gap - 10k
    Ballynultagh Gap - Ballinagee (CP2) - 9.6km
    Ballinagee - Art's Cross - 5.9km
    Art's Cross - Table Track - 3.5k
    Table Track - Baravore (finish) - 4k

Total Distance 53km
    Total Ascent 1670m

And Black Hill?

• Advertisement

Black Hill is the first mountain.

Get your map out and check the route I posted above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNfNNgsGSOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mq1vYBd1XE

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sasman

Gravale wrote: »
    Black Hill is the first mountain.

Get your map out and check the route I posted above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNfNNgsGSOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mq1vYBd1XE

Gravale, would you have the lat long for the main waymaks along the way. Tried google map's lat long's today and they were well off, so only got to tag Ballinagee bridge up to three lakes. Serious hail storm persuaded me not to go any further !

If you have a gps I can give you the gpx file from the forest exit out to the Glenreemore Brook, up to Art's Cross, across to Three Lakes, down to the Avonbeg River, onto Table Track and down to the finish at Baravore, if you're interested in that? I can also give you the same for Ballynultagh to Ballinagee if you'd like that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

have been looking at the east west mapping maps of the second half of the route - is this the best map to use or are there others youd suggest based on experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

BigGeorge wrote: »
    have been looking at the east west mapping maps of the second half of the route - is this the best map to use or are there others youd suggest based on experience?

EastWest is best- although their spot heights are said to be incorrect against an altimeter, the detail surpasses anything else. More up-to-date info, too.

The Harveys is pretty decent too. Since its experienced suggestions you're looking for, I've actually found it more useful when running recce's, as the lack of detail can be easier to read on the hoof, against a major feature (river etc.). Wouldn't want to rely on it in dark misty conditions, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

they are the best maps with the most up to date details big george

EastWest is best- although their spot heights are said to be incorrect against an altimeter, the detail surpasses anything else. More up-to-date info, too.

The Harveys is pretty decent too. Since its experienced suggestions you're looking for, I've actually found it more useful when running recce's, as the lack of detail can be easier to read on the hoof, against a major feature (river etc.). Wouldn't want to rely on it in dark misty conditions, though.

Seeing as Donothoponpop has been doing lots of recce's recently, his advice is good!

The East West map has greater detail and excels when it comes to tracks. However, be mindful that the contour lines are every 20m on the East West maps, while they're every 10m on the OSI 56 map.

I generally use the East West maps but keep a copy of the OSI 56 as an alternative reference.

Hi All,

Great to see so many people doing recces and getting out there. Hopefully the weather will harden the ground up a bit whilst allowing for us to get the trucks through the narrow roads!

Regarding the new route that Gravale kindly posted on here, that is now officially official. CP1 will be at Kilbride Army camp in a primarily outdoor/tented setting with fires etc. Will be very atmospheric but not so much so that you will want to hang around for very long :)

After that, the rout changes as you will see from the fly through. I would ask that you dont recce this section as it is private land that we have permission to use for the challenge. We will have this section fully marked on the night so that there is no confusion whatsoever.

Thanks everyone

G

ezikel wrote: »
    Hi All,

Great to see so many people doing recces and getting out there. Hopefully the weather will harden the ground up a bit whilst allowing for us to get the trucks through the narrow roads!

Regarding the new route that Gravale kindly posted on here, that is now officially official. CP1 will be at Kilbride Army camp in a primarily outdoor/tented setting with fires etc. Will be very atmospheric but not so much so that you will want to hang around for very long :)

After that, the rout changes as you will see from the fly through. I would ask that you dont recce this section as it is private land that we have permission to use for the challenge. We will have this section fully marked on the night so that there is no confusion whatsoever.

Thanks everyone

G

I mean the section from Kilbride Army Camp to Ballysmuttan Bridge

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sasman

Gravale wrote: »
    If you have a gps I can give you the gpx file from the forest exit out to the Glenreemore Brook, up to Art's Cross, across to Three Lakes, down to the Avonbeg River, onto Table Track and down to the finish at Baravore, if you're interested in that? I can also give you the same for Ballynultagh to Ballinagee if you'd like that also.

Have no prob with map/compass but I have just got a E-trex H handheld GPS and am looking for any info on best use of it. Stay on lat/long or try and work out how to change it to map grid ref ! If u think the file would help, excellent, def I will give it a go !

The Etrex H is an excellent handheld. Do you have the data cable for transferring files to your gps?

If you want to I can do the settings for your Etrex over the phone. Message me with your email and phone number and I'll get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Sold out today. Wow. At least that has put an end to my 'Will I, won't I enter.' Too late :D Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 viffer98

Hi All,

First timer here. I’ve signed up to trek the challenge, and have a few questions that I’d appreciate if some of you could answer.

1) At Kilbride Army Camp (CP1) if I change footwear, can I leave one pair of shoes behind (to be collected after the finish), or do I have to carry everything to the finish?

2) Apart from snacks to consume en-route, is the food provided at the CPs adequate for the duration of the hike, or do I need to bring a packed lunch or two?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

viffer98 wrote: »

1) At Kilbride Army Camp (CP1) if I change footwear, can I leave one pair of shoes behind (to be collected after the finish), or do I have to carry everything to the finish?

There is a bag drop available. The bag is loaded onto a truck at the start and is then available to you at CP1 and the finish.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Sold out today. Wow. At least that has put an end to my 'Will I, won't I enter.' Too late :D Phew.

Stop the messing about nerraw1111 and get yourself on the waiting list.
    You had a great time last year, you don't want to miss out this time.
    Go on, you know you want to :p

viffer98 wrote: »

2) Apart from snacks to consume en-route, is the food provided at the CPs adequate for the duration of the hike, or do I need to bring a packed lunch or two?

Thanks!

People's requirements vary. However, I would suggest that you bring whatever food you would normally bring on a decent Sunday hike. Collect it then at the Kilbride checkpoint. With the addition of the food at the checkpoints that should be sufficient. It would be for me anyway. :)

Don't forget, by the way, that a failure to hydrate during the challenge will effect your performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Quarreller

Just as a matter of interest does anybody know the breakdown of the people doing the event now that its full. Runners/ Hybrids/ Walkers????

• Registered Users Posts: 8 viffer98

Git101 & Gravale thanks for your replies.
    I'll bring a packed lunch, and as for hydration..how many pubs do we pass on the way out of Dublin :)

Quite a few, as it happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

.how many pubs do we pass on the way out of Dublin
    All of them unfortunatly.
    :mad:

All of them unfortunatly.
    :mad:

Yeah but think about how pleased you'll be to see the Glenmalure Inn :D

Git101 wrote: »
    Yeah but think about how pleased you'll be to see the Glenmalure Inn :D

Also, each pint in Glenmalure has the same effect as two pints due to the bodily dehydration. It goes straight to the head. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Geniusforhire

Entered for the trek and have recced almost all the off road but wondering if water supplies will be available at CP1 or CP 2? My thought is to keep the same back back with a 2 litre bladder for the duration but would be looking to top it up at one of the checkpoints.

:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement