Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O Neill Challenge 2012

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

There's a decent forum where all walking questions- routes, gear, clubs, etc, are asked and answered, its over here Outdoor Pursuits.

I wouldn't think there's a huge overlap between running and walking. The mountain runners here would have a small intersection between mountain walkers, (I always give a cheery wave to Everest-clad walkers on Tonelagee as I run past in my shorts), but the majority road runners of this forum wouldn't have anything in common with walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chinomel

First of all Congratulations to all who took part in or helped out in any way to make this event the great success it was. For those who ran or walked the event it is important that we take time to realise how lucky we are to be able to complete and enjoy such a demanding trek. There are many people out there who would love to be fit or healthy enough to take part.
    Oh and there are many others who think we are all daft! :)

There's a decent forum where all walking questions- routes, gear, clubs, etc, are asked and answered, its over here Outdoor Pursuits.

Actually there is/was a discussion taking place about the Art over on the Outdoor Pursuits page but through a navigation error we walkers ended up on the runner’s forum (poor map reading I would say). We should have used the GPS.;)
    At this point I think we need to find out our exact location , find shelter , break out the cheese sandwiches have a short rest and as Gravel would put it we " contour around to the correct location " in the Outdoor Pursuits Forum
    Once we have regained our spiritual home amongst our fellow walkers I hope the runners don’t mind if we occasionally take a break from discussing Bovril and woolly socks and have a peek at their opinions on compression socks and electrolytes.:D:D
    Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

I participated in the AON, but sadly pulled out at CP2 due to utter and complete exhaustion and unfitness. Was really gutted not to finish but am vowing (weather permitting) to have another crack at it next year and complete it.

As a consequence I am aiming to do two 1/2 marathons (in May and July) before having a crack at the Dublin full marathon in October, which will hopefully build up the endurance needed for the AON next year. Started training last night with a 5.5km jog so hopefully can build on that.

There seem to be a good website for 1/2 marathons and full marathons training called marathonrookie.com, and was just wondering do the ultras here think it is a good guide re training schedules?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

try Hal Higdon for good novice training plans

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Eventually got around to writing a report.

It's rather long winded but I think it's a fair assessment of my personal experience on the day/night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Excellent report, Git. I enjoyed that.

One of the advantages which the runners enjoy and which strikes me immediately when I read such reports, is the plentiful supply of foods and drinks which are immediately available at checkpoints without having to join a big queue. Also, arriving at the Glenmalure Lodge while it's relatively uncrowded and being able to change clothes in uncrowded tents is a plus. Then, being able to enjoy the food and drink in the Glenmalure Lodge (I noted your full Irish breakfast) before the hordes of walkers descend upon the scene sounds wonderful. As a walker, one look at the queue at CP1 and the totally occupied tables and seats inside the Glenmalure Lodge at the finish made me (and others) bypass the delights on offer and hop immediately onto the homebound bus. As for CP2, when the last group arrived (myself and another guy were the sweepers up to that point) there was no porridge OR water available. However, I had sufficient food and drink in my backpack for the entire walk (as we had been advised) so didn't feel deprived in the slightest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Quarreller

As a newbie to the whole running over the hills like a looney I would like to point out a few things I have noticed over the last few posts considering I walked it last year and love my hillwalking to no end as well as the running thing which is infecting me like a virus.

1) Hillwalkers/ runners are all mad regardless of their opinions as who in their right mind signs up to anything like the AON.

2) I have gotten no end of giggles from some of the posts as I can no see both sides of the fence. (I think people I work with think I lost my marbles last weekend as well)

3) Gravele is a monster in disguise as he could probably walk it as quick as some of us ran the route (and survive on 2 blades of grass and a cup of water in the process)

4) Another thing the walkers missed was the incredible views of lights coming over the hills.

5) Runners may be good at running but walkers are far better at navigation for the must part. (Personal observation over the last year)

6) Runners tend to like suffering more than walkers for good reason. You see they (we) wear so little clothing that if w stop for more than 1 minute we freeze our asses off. Walkers have the idea here and wrap up like they are in the artic!

Apart from all of that I think a singhle forum tread is still the anwser as both sides have plenty too contribute. I do think however that the post challenge analysis should be seperate to avoid the misunderstandings. Runners like to talk of the pain and walkers like to talk of the nice coffee and scones they got at CP2!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Nice review Git, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

I was in the last group (no. 9) and the cupboard was nearly bare when we got to CP2. However we had brought sufficient water and food. In Glenmalure lodge we ended up getting changed in the gents. Still none of that takes away from what is a great event and adventure.

Gravale wrote: »
    Excellent report, Git. I enjoyed that.

One of the advantages which the runners enjoy and which strikes me immediately when I read such reports, is the plentiful supply of foods and drinks which are immediately available at checkpoints without having to join a big queue. Also, arriving at the Glenmalure Lodge while it's relatively uncrowded and being able to change clothes in uncrowded tents is a plus. Then, being able to enjoy the food and drink in the Glenmalure Lodge (I noted your full Irish breakfast) before the hordes of walkers descend upon the scene sounds wonderful. As a walker, one look at the queue at CP1 and the totally occupied tables and seats inside the Glenmalure Lodge at the finish made me (and others) bypass the delights on offer and hop immediately onto the homebound bus. As for CP2, when the last group arrived (myself and another guy were the sweepers up to that point) there was no porridge OR water available. However, I had sufficient food and drink in my backpack for the entire walk (as we had been advised) so didn't feel deprived in the slightest. :)

Thanks Gravale

You're right about the earlier arrival at the Glenmalure Inn, although busy there were seats and tables available - the breakfast was delicious :D. It was a bit of a madhouse when the crowd started arriving later.

As advised I carried enough food for the duration, I had a small bowl of porridge at CP2 but I would have managed without if need be.
    There's plenty of good water flowing through Wicklow, no reason for anyone to go thirsty ;)
    I would regard any food or drinks at the checkpoints as a bonus. I think some people forget what type of event this is.
    Quarreller wrote: »

Apart from all of that I think a singhle forum tread is still the anwser as both sides have plenty too contribute.

I agree. All the information in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Quarreller wrote: »
    As a newbie to the whole running over the hills like a looney I would like to point out a few things I have noticed over the last few posts considering I walked it last year and love my hillwalking to no end as well as the running thing which is infecting me like a virus.

1) Hillwalkers/ runners are all mad regardless of their opinions as who in their right mind signs up to anything like the AON.

2) I have gotten no end of giggles from some of the posts as I can no see both sides of the fence. (I think people I work with think I lost my marbles last weekend as well)

3) Gravele is a monster in disguise as he could probably walk it as quick as some of us ran the route (and survive on 2 blades of grass and a cup of water in the process)

4) Another thing the walkers missed was the incredible views of lights coming over the hills.

5) Runners may be good at running but walkers are far better at navigation for the must part. (Personal observation over the last year)

6) Runners tend to like suffering more than walkers for good reason. You see they (we) wear so little clothing that if w stop for more than 1 minute we freeze our asses off. Walkers have the idea here and wrap up like they are in the artic!

Apart from all of that I think a singhle forum tread is still the anwser as both sides have plenty too contribute. I do think however that the post challenge analysis should be seperate to avoid the misunderstandings. Runners like to talk of the pain and walkers like to talk of the nice coffee and scones they got at CP2!!!!!

Brilliant post. I got a good laugh from it :)
    Most walkers know how (and have enough kit) to survive in the hills if sh1t hits the fan.

A good grounding in hill walking makes running easier

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement