Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O Neill Challenge 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kitesurfingbum

Anyone about on Saturday morning, CP2 at 9.

I made it to Arts cross last Saturday (1 hour) but had to turn back due to low visibility and wind. Did not fancy the trek, in those conditions on my own.

I am hoping to do the ultra but from my rec there will be very little running on this section, more like a quick hike.

Route CP2 to end of table track and back to CP2, (Four hours).
    If we make good time I would be up for the last push on to Baravore. Only if the you are up for it.

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Quarreller

I might be up for that on Saturday! Sounds like you have a similar pace to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kitesurfingbum

Not sure about the pace, as you can only run for about 4 KM to the end of the forest........ The rest is a slog in the BOG:)

As the Art website say this is the Ugly section of the course.
    It more about picking the best route, rather than swimming in Bogholes in january:eek:

PM me if you want to meet up
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

I recce'd this part of the route last saturday. Although I was walking a group of "Ultras2 ran past near Art's Plaque.

After you exit the forest it appears that keeping to the river bank all the way up the valley is the quickest route (some good firm surface & the rest is boggy). We climbed to the right of the waterfall and then crossed the brook & up to the cross.

From the cross we traveled in a straight line to the lakes and then maintaining height across to the Table Track. I'm not sure that this is the best/fastest/safest route. I have noted that some people seem to follow the brook down and hit the Table Track further down? Any advise on which is the safest/fastest way down from the lakes to Table Track?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

This is the way that I've gone to Table Track for years:

Art Walk End.jpg

When you reach the river go quite high an the bank and follow the river down to a bridge. Turn right and then shortly left onto table Track (keep your eyes open) and down to Baravore.

Note: Many people have assumed that being on the track was the end of the navigation. You have to be careful to stick to the Table Track and avoid taking any tempting forest roads unless the track merges with them. Many people have found themselves on a forest road which turns upwards and away from the track, adding a half hour or more depending on how long it takes you to cop on to the fact that you're heading away from the finish at Baravore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Anyone up for a night nav tomorrow evening, Ballinagee Bridge to Arts X to Three lakes, back via the ridge between the two brooks? I haven't checked the weather, and it won't be much in the way of moonlight, so should be perfect. 8pm-ish start.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Gravale wrote: »
    Note: Many people have assumed that being on the track was the end of the navigation. You have to be careful to stick to the Table Track and avoid taking any tempting forest roads unless the track merges with them. Many people have found themselves on a forest road which turns upwards and away from the track, adding a half hour or more depending on how long it takes you to cop on to the fact that you're heading away from the finish at Baravore.

Yes indeed, I did this last time.
    The snow had put pay to the intended recces, I was going to travel with a guided group so hadn't studied the route in detail and OS56 only has one track marked in the valley, so that must be the nice wide, smooth, inviting forest road :o ... Oh dear !! about 40 minutes added, lesson learned.

Met Éireann weather forecast for tomorrow if you're intending to do that night navigation:

Becoming wet and windy during the early afternoon, the rain turning persistent at times and heavy in places. Highs of 8 to 10 Celsius with winds becoming fresh to strong and gusty southerly, but gale force and very gusty in southern and southeastern coastal regions and in exposed areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

Whats OS ref for Stone Cross? Can't find it on OS56 or OS50.

Gravale, I bow to your superior knowledge. I will try recce this before the event. Oh and that "detour" on Table Track gives lovely views up the valley to Lug, sure you'd be mad to walk all that way and not see it :mad:.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann weather forecast for tomorrow if you're intending to do that night navigation:

Becoming wet and windy during the early afternoon, the rain turning persistent at times and heavy in places. Highs of 8 to 10 Celsius with winds becoming fresh to strong and gusty southerly, but gale force and very gusty in southern and southeastern coastal regions and in exposed areas.

Spoilsport ;).

The grid reference for Stone Cross (Famine Cross) is O:075 227.

Some have walked past this turn as they reached it shortly after 2am on the morning. As you pass the Dublin City Golf Club (it'll be lit up) it's the second turn on the left.

Looking for previous runners (Eoin, Jeff, anyone) views on gear for the AON- I know there's a mandatory kit, but with a bag drop around half way, it seems there will be scope for cutting down on weight. Obviously I will bring all the safety gear, but waterproof pants will be staying in the backpack, so lighter the better. Socks- I've been recommended sealskinz; worth trying? Any top tips on keepin the bag light?

I got an OMM kamlinka jacket, makes a huge difference, a real giant leap forward compared to rain jackets I'd worn before. Any similar quantum gear leaps I might have missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Looking for previous runners (Eoin, Jeff, anyone) views on gear for the AON- I know there's a mandatory kit, but with a bag drop around half way, it seems there will be scope for cutting down on weight. Obviously I will bring all the safety gear, but waterproof pants will be staying in the backpack, so lighter the better. Socks- I've been recommended sealskinz; worth trying? Any top tips on keepin the bag light?

I carried very little on the run out to kippure this year, intend to do the same this year.

This year I wore leggings, a merino base layer(the IMRA one) and my hagloffs smock. I was warm throughout. This was only permitted by the dry conditions however. In the event of emergency I had a down jacket in my bag for the offroad. If you do come a cropper a foil blanket is not going to cut it. Wear enough to keep you warm whilst moving and have enough to keep you warm if you get stuck.

On Sunday a bunch of us recced Black Hill to the finish. I thought my feet were going to drop off with the cold. Conditions being so wet made it very cold when plodding through bog. So I will be wearing merino socks for sure. I've worn Sealskinz in the past, they are good but not my preferred option I think.[/QUOTE]
    Any similar quantum gear leaps I might have missed?

A good jacket makes a huge difference for sure. For me the biggest gains are achieved with merino. It retains it's warmth when wet, thus allowing you stay warm if you're stopped for nav or other unplanned stops.

In terms of keeping the bag light, take the smallest bag you can. Otherwise you'll fill it with crap. If you have a bag which is a touch on the small side maybe take it and a small waist pack if you have one. I generally only take a waistpack on the road section, if you've some essentials such as gloves/buff/a gel/foil blanket in there then you can eliminate those from the main bag. It helps to not have all that weight in the bag and makes it accessible in that you can spin the waist pack around and rummage in it on the go if you chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Anyone up for a night nav tomorrow evening, Ballinagee Bridge to Arts X to Three lakes, back via the ridge between the two brooks? I haven't checked the weather, and it won't be much in the way of moonlight, so should be perfect. 8pm-ish start.

Just a note, nobody will be hitting this section until the dawn/early morning time unless we get some kenyan entries.....

As far as I remember, Enduro got day break on top of Arts X. Correct me if i am wrong......

Pretty sublime up there at night though.

ezikel wrote: »
    Just a note, nobody will be hitting this section until the dawn/early morning time unless we get some kenyan entries.....

As far as I remember, Enduro got day break on top of Arts X. Correct me if i am wrong......

Pretty sublime up there at night though.

Yeah, I appreciate it will be daybreak by then. If I can, I want to recce at night, to get used to night navving (map etc). Also, dark+headtorch=mist, as far as visibility goes.

jeffontour wrote: »
    I carried very little on the run out to kippure this year, intend to do the same this year.

This year I wore leggings, a merino base layer(the IMRA one) and my hagloffs smock. I was warm throughout. This was only permitted by the dry conditions however. In the event of emergency I had a down jacket in my bag for the offroad. If you do come a cropper a foil blanket is not going to cut it. Wear enough to keep you warm whilst moving and have enough to keep you warm if you get stuck.

On Sunday a bunch of us recced Black Hill to the finish. I thought my feet were going to drop off with the cold. Conditions being so wet made it very cold when plodding through bog. So I will be wearing merino socks for sure. I've worn Sealskinz in the past, they are good but not my preferred option I think.

A good jacket makes a huge difference for sure. For me the biggest gains are achieved with merino. It retains it's warmth when wet, thus allowing you stay warm if you're stopped for nav or other unplanned stops.

In terms of keeping the bag light, take the smallest bag you can. Otherwise you'll fill it with crap. If you have a bag which is a touch on the small side maybe take it and a small waist pack if you have one. I generally only take a waistpack on the road section, if you've some essentials such as gloves/buff/a gel/foil blanket in there then you can eliminate those from the main bag. It helps to not have all that weight in the bag and makes it accessible in that you can spin the waist pack around and rummage in it on the go if you chose.

That post is gold dust Jeff. Small backpack with necessaries, bum bag with essentials.

jeffontour wrote: »
    For me the biggest gains are achieved with merino. It retains it's warmth when wet, thus allowing you stay warm if you're stopped for nav or other unplanned stops.

FAO Art O'Neiller's, Aldi have merino baselayers on sale tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 inishoo

Last years Aldi merino base layer was to itchy to wear for more than 1 minute - splash out for x-mas & get the good stuff, you're worth it!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

I got an OMM kamlinka jacket, makes a huge difference, a real giant leap forward compared to rain jackets I'd worn before. Any similar quantum gear leaps I might have missed?

Don't over-lighten the waterproofs. They're probably your most useful defense against conditions turning for the worse. I don't even head into the local hills for my regular training runs without proper waterproofs if the weather is looking in any way dodgy.

Sealskinz... I'll never wear them for running ever ever again! Something like thousand mile socks would be a much better bet, in my experience.

Agree totally with Jeff about Merino.

Forget the foil blanket and plastic bivvy bag. Get a proper emergency bag which is a combination of bivvy and foil. Costs about 20 euro, weighs less than a bivvy bag, and is extremely effective when you need it to be (have live tested it many times now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

If I can, I want to recce at night, to get used to night navving (map etc). Also, dark+headtorch=mist, as far as visibility goes.

Well worth the practice. Great idea. Even with 50-100 meter visibility it's very very easy to get disoriented up around the 3 lakes area. (only added to if you answer your phone whilst running along ;))

(and yes, it usually dawns on me on the approach to Art's cross... It'll be interesting to see if the route change alters that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PollyLee

I've signed up to walk it. Any other walkers out there? Would like to swap ideas about training. I'd also love to hear from anyone who did the walk previously. I am finding it hard to gague my own fitness and how tough it is going to be! As a frequent hill walker I think I'm able for the distance, but the potentially bad winter and night conditions are worrying me!

I've replied on the other forum, PollyLee. :)

I went up from Black Hill to Billy Byrne's today... the mist starting off soon changed to rain, then to driving sleet, which entered every jacket opening it could. Freezing! The worst thing though, putting up with those conditions while the ground was still warm and soggy. Very tough slog over this section- so much will depend on the weather conditions on the day. There's no point in running uphill in muck, that's literally two steps forward, one step back.

Here's hoping for a clear, frozen, calm night on the 13th:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

I'm walking about 8 miles nightly at the moment. But I only went for first hike in mountains yesterday and it was a real struggle. Wasn't good for my confidence. Concerned that there is not enough weekends between now and AON!!

I recced Ballynulty to Ballinagee bridge on Sunday. I think from this trip I will be decending from Black Hill towards Mulla and crossing over the "shoulder" to the left of Billy Byrnes Gap then descending on the left hand side of the valley to the track at the start of the forest. This route was relatively easy to walk as it is mostly grass,heather and a little bog. The only reservation I would have would be crossing the brook as the sides are steep enough descending in the dark (staying high on the Mulla side of the shoulder may avoid having to cross the brook).

Despite the weather(wind rain fog sleet & snow) on Sunday I used ALDI's base layer and Ski Fleece along with a tog24 jacket, waterproof trousers & gloshes & thinsulate gloves & hat and had no problems with the cold at all :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sasman

There's a traditional route choice from Black Hill to Ballinagee, and there's a route choice favoured by runners.

The grid references and route from Black Hill to Ballinagee are the traditional (walkers) suggestions which some will find a little complex, but if speed and convenience is your goal (runners) you might try O:048 069 after Black Hill and then on to the forest exit at 0:049 038 which leads to the Ballinagee checkpoint. It's merit is simplicity.

From O:048 069 (above) to O: 049 038 for speed etc, u would have to cross Ballinagee River. Would this be possible to cross. I have not seen this section yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

sasman wrote: »
    From O:048 069 (above) to O: 049 038 for speed etc, u would have to cross Ballinagee River. Would this be possible to cross. I have not seen this section yet !

Any time I've been there the river has been handy enough to cross. Can't say what it would be like after torrential rain.

• Advertisement

I've always been able to cross it. As with all rivers you need to take care. The western side of the valley is, nevertheless, a safer route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement