Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O Neill Challenge 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

The bridge is a poor state, as seen in the attached picture Brocky Bridge.jpg, but I believe the National Parks people would prefer us to avoid Ballinabrocky since it's part of the National Parks area.

The alternative has yet to be decided upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Quarreller

Well I assume the new route will mean there will be one less up as we will be going around the hill! Not wanting to speculate of course;). I'm taking my mate to do a Recce this Saturday. Here s to hoping its not too early to give him time to think about what I have signed him up for!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Any chance of a quick preview of what the change might be? Was going to go recce the Ballinabrocky section but may give it a miss now. :)
    Is it an access issue or has the footbridge been washed away with the floods?

Hi Eoin, as Gravale said, its a Nat Parks issue but it would mean reverting to the original AON route. The reason Ballinabrocky was introduced in 09 was because ballysmuttan Bridge was washed away.

Ballinabrocky is one of the Nat Parks environmentally delicate areas so it's good to respect this and go back to the original route. Its a very small change to the route.

Grid refs and details will be communicated when all is confirmed

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Grand stuff, makes little difference overall I reckon, one less ascent, but an extra 1-2km on the roads. Means the first off-road section isn't hit until maybe 10km later than expected - less night navigation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

After an other quick recce of the Ballinagee Bridge to Glenmalure section I have come to the conclusion that Gravale is the man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

What route do we take from Dublin Castle to Kippure house?

williamo wrote: »
    What route do we take from Dublin Castle to Kippure house?

Shortest one you can find....

Link

Actually guys I think the route was marked last year and involved turning left out of the Castle, Patricks Street to Lower Kimage Road, Keep on going and turm left onto Firhouse Road. From here its straight on out to Bohernabreena where you hang a left again. Just follow the road here up and up and up until you go down a little at Kippure.

I'm sure this was the route published last year beforethe event in the briefing email. It was defo the route we followed.

Sorry that should be right onto Firhouse Road. I'd hate to send anybody to Dun Laoghaire

The route doesn't go to Kippure Estate this year, but here is the route from Dublin Castle to the first proposed checkpoint at the Kilbride Army Camp (three maps): Art (1).jpg

Art (2).jpg

Art (3).jpg

• Advertisement

the art o'neill website states that checkpoint is kippure house and arts kitchen. Is this incorrect?

The Kippure Estate checkpoint is discontinued. In 2012 the first checkpoint will be at the Kilbride Army Camp. This is seen at the end of the trail [click on Art (3)] in the post above yours. Details regarding same have yet to be finalised.

williamo wrote: »
    the art o'neill website states that checkpoint is kippure house and arts kitchen. Is this incorrect?

Hi Williamo as Gravale said, all is to be finalised in the coming week.

Will be announcing on the website (and here) once all is settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Just joined up for the hybrid.

Here's a Youtube video up of the entire route which I've just put up.

It has yet to be ratified by the organiser, but it may be helpful to you in your preparations. It's an exact copy of the gps track which I recorded myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNfNNgsGSOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mq1vYBd1XE

Feel free to ask questions. :)

Cheers Gravale, about what I reckoned. How is the checkpoint going to work when not in Kippure this time - will there still be a bag pickup and somewhere to change shoes etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Is there a google maps/garmin link?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Is there a google maps/garmin link?

To follow, but recce of this section is not recommended or necessary as it passes through private land and we will have it fully marked for you guys.

There will be a bag drop and all the trimmings at CP1 it will just be at a different location before you go off road for the first time.

All details to follow shortly

Gravale wrote: »

It has yet to be ratified by the organiser, but it may be helpful to you in your preparations. It's an exact copy of the gps track which I recorded myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mq1vYBd1XE

The route map is brilliant...look very easy....:p

The guy with the red hat, asking the questions in the xtranormal video is modeled on me :D
    Only a few week to go to try to look more like the other bloke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Gravale wrote: »

That's a brilliant flyover Gravale, thanks for posting it. Most enjoyable to watch.

This looks like a shorter route than last years, by a couple of km or so; do you have a distance?

• Advertisement

It's 53km with a little less than 1700m total ascent.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Howdy,
    I'm doing the hybrid and am wondering what size bag people used for the trek.
    Thanks

What are the 2/3 highest peaks in ft/metres?

No high peaks at all.

The highest peaks would be Black Hill (602m) and Art's Cross (600m).

Billy Byrne's Gap is 600m and around Three Lakes it's about 630m.

It's the package of roads, fields, and rough mountain terrain over 53km in winter which challenges the body. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Just a quick question. I am from a cycling background & I've done 4 to 5 hr hikes on the course so far and am wondering what type of nutrition you will use. As a cyclist I am thinking of gels and warm liquid but no solids. Any ideas/advice would be welcomed.

Ok, let me just say that my example should NOT be followed. However, here's what I did when I walked the route in 10hrs 15mins a few years ago.

I ate very well the day before (spaghetti bolognaise for dinner). During the event I ate a total of two Mars bars on the move and a total fluid intake of one litre of Lucozade Sport. Nothing more, and I didn't stop during the trek.

By the way, I then walked 16km into Rathdrum and got the bus back to Dublin.

I'd suggest that someone from the younger generation with more sense and a normal body should give you the current thinking on the matter. :)

The score on the board:

Castle - Stone Cross - 15k
    Stone Cross - Kilbride (CP1) - 5k
    Kilbride - Ballynultagh Gap - 10k
    Ballynultagh Gap - Ballinagee (CP2) - 9.6km
    Ballinagee - Art's Cross - 5.9km
    Art's Cross - Table Track - 3.5k
    Table Track - Baravore (finish) - 4k

Total Distance 53km
    Total Ascent 1670m

Homer1798 wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I am from a cycling background & I've done 4 to 5 hr hikes on the course so far and am wondering what type of nutrition you will use. As a cyclist I am thinking of gels and warm liquid but no solids. Any ideas/advice would be welcomed.

HI Homer,

Go to our FB page and there is a great report from a runner last year with his fluid intake, food etc. http://christiannachtigall.blogspot.com/2011/01/55k-mountain-run-debut.html

Walkers, of course, will be on the course for a longer time. Everyone is different. Gravale is pretty hardcore but his advice is sound: A big carbs meal the day before and keep grazing all day on carb like food.On the trek itself just keep eating and drinking as much as you like (listen to your body). We will have food etc at CPs but plenty of gels, bars, electrolyes etc to support that is the way to go.

Everyone has their own preference/what works for them

There will be a recommended nutrition page going up on the website before xmas

guapos wrote: »
    Howdy,
    I'm doing the hybrid and am wondering what size bag people used for the trek.
    Thanks

I used a 20l backpack last time.
    I'd enough space for mandatory kit and whatever else I needed.
    I suppose bag size will depend on how much and what type of clothing you want to have with you.
    I expect to use a 15l this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I used two different bags for the hybrid. One small bag for the run to first checkpoint. Then a 18 litre bag for the hike. From what I recall from last year, you could leave some of the mandatory kit in a second bag to be picked up at 1st checkpoint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement