Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

Thanks for your replies, I will work on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Thanks for this complete guideline but I want to know the whole procedure for Germany.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thanks for this complete guideline but I want to know the whole procedure for Germany.

So maybe try a German forum? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

demello wrote: »
    I have this add up for months, with very few inquiries. I just dropped the price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    DM

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed/20368304

Sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Thanks, it is a detailed one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Hi, can anyone advise me on my car ad, I'm not getting any interest and I thought petrol was all the rage :confused:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c4-cactus-automatic-petrol/21017492

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very limited market for an automatic petrol Citroen Cactus I'd imagine.

Maybe go into detail about where you bought it in the uk, say when you brought it in, if you have a history check available, show that. Show the uk reg number etc. show the service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you want it gone asap with minimum hassle and time then trading it in is the easiest way. However if you want the best money for it then selling it privately is the way to go.

Alot of Northern dealers will take southern trade-ins these days once they have a dealer or trader down south who will buy it from them.

I am thinking of selling a high value car (2017) and not replacing it. If I go sell it to a dealer, how much of a loss percentage wise versus selling privately would I be looking at?

salonfire wrote: »
    I am thinking of selling a high value car (2017) and not replacing it. If I go sell it to a dealer, how much of a loss percentage wise versus selling privately would I be looking at?

Expect to lose a lot, the dealer will want to buy it at a price which allows them tidy up any cosmetic imperfections, service it, stick a warranty on it and then make a profit on selling it. You will probably do better selling privately but it can take more time and effort so it really depends on how much value you put on that time and effort versus taking the hit selling to a dealer. I suppose putting it through an auction might be another option for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Sold a car privately for the first time in Done Deal... Have to say it was an experience. In future, I'm only going to reply to messages in which the person can actually spell properly 😂 Made me realise how many shady characters and chancers there are out there.

Sold a car privately for the first time in Done Deal... Have to say it was an experience. In future, I'm only going to reply to messages in which the person can actually spell properly �� Made me realise how many shady characters and chancers there are out there.

Oh so many.

I've my doubts about this message I got:
    I am home in ten days, I am interested is this model, I would like to arrange to come down and have a look? I would be back in Ireland on the 3 may

Looks very generic, like it's been sent to loads of people about various cars. Ya never know though. Takes 2 seconds to say 'OK' and if they follow up then you might have a buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

salonfire wrote: »

50% + depending on spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

50% + depending on spec.

Jesus, what a hassle.

So if the private value is €18000 say, I'll come out with €9000 from the dealer.

How does one approach multiple (potential) buyers? Say you've someone coming to view today, and someone coming to view tomorrow. As a seller you'd love to play one off the other, but if buyer 1 makes an offer, is it reasonable to say you'll consider the offer for 24 hours? Obviously if you come back to buyer 1 24 hours later and accept, they know their offer was better, and could reduce it.

Thoughts?

There is no hard or fast rule unfortunately. It could easily work the other way where the first viewer doesn't follow through because they found another car while you stall waiting for the second viewer to make their offer. You have to weigh up how close an offer you get to your asking price and if it's worth risking holding out or end up getting no sale from either and end up selling for much less later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Bird in the hand and all that, if a buyer makes you an offer that is what you are willing to accept then take it. Most people buying a car want to buy, pay for and drive it away immediately no come back after 24 hours.

How does one approach multiple (potential) buyers? Say you've someone coming to view today, and someone coming to view tomorrow. As a seller you'd love to play one off the other, but if buyer 1 makes an offer, is it reasonable to say you'll consider the offer for 24 hours? Obviously if you come back to buyer 1 24 hours later and accept, they know their offer was better, and could reduce it.

Thoughts?

First man with the money. Make sure they all know that.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    First man with the money. Make sure they all know that.

Yup. First man with the money got it.... 2nd man rang back after I told him it was gone and offered 500 more. :eek:

Couldn't do that to the first guy though. A deal is a deal, hands were shook, draft "contract" (for the deposit) was signed...... sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Yup. First man with the money got it.... 2nd man rang back after I told him it was gone and offered 500 more. :eek:

Of course he'd say that. It means nothing. He may as well have said he'd have given you 5 grand more.

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Of course he'd say that. It means nothing. He may as well have said he'd have given you 5 grand more.

To be fair, maybe I'm being naive but, he sounded like he really wanted my specific car. Even before he got desperate. Time waits for no man though. Cheers all

If you were happy and agreed to sell to the first viewer then you did the honorable thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If you were happy and agreed to sell to the first viewer then you did the honorable thing.

Honourable thing?! Sad times we live when keeping your side of the deal is considered honourable.

He behaved like a decent person, that's all...

grogi wrote: »
    Honourable thing?! Sad times we live when keeping your side of the deal is considered honourable.

Damn right.

Though i'd not be surprised to see/hear of boards threads along the lines of "I paid my deposit but the seller accepted a higher offer". Sad times. Hoping for some good karma to come my way. Really could of done with that 500 quid.

grogi wrote: »

In this day and age such things are rare, hence my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Agreed. Deal is a deal.

And I agree with others comments - Give me the firm cash in the hand.
    I've had too many experiences where folk are super keen and need it urgently, only to never show nor be heard of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

So time to sell the family wagon - 141 Ford S-Max Titanium Auto.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-s-max-titanium-2-0l-tdci-auto-fdsh/22081357

Would appreciate any comments on my ad. Bit frustrating can only do 10 pics.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Sold a car privately for the first time in Done Deal... Have to say it was an experience. In future, I'm only going to reply to messages in which the person can actually spell properly �� Made me realise how many shady characters and chancers there are out there.

Agreed - I am about to put an ad up on Done Deal / Carzone. Have experience selling random bits and pieces on Adverts and my red flag is if they can't spell, ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Trying to sell my own car at the moment to import something newer.

After getting a text from 'cashoffernow' to upload my car for them to make an offer.

Anyone any experience with these? Sounds a bit sketchy, but think they're an umbrella for an auction site?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Shlippery wrote: »
    Trying to sell my own car at the moment to import something newer.

After getting a text from 'cashoffernow' to upload my car for them to make an offer.

Anyone any experience with these? Sounds a bit sketchy, but think they're an umbrella for an auction site?

No experience, but get the Vaseline ready if you use any of those services I reckon.

Advertisement