Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Delightful.

Might just hold tight for the right person to come along so..
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,409 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Drop your price and it will sell for more than what they’ll offer you.
    Exchange rate is good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These crowds tend to give you a price to get you interested, then when they come to look it over they will knock their offer down for every little thing and make it out they are doing you a favour. Think about it, they have to buy it as cheap as possible for them to make money from selling it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Apologies for the basic question but I've never sold my car privately. Will be picking up my new car at the weekend and will have to sell the one I have then. Will be ringing my insurance company tomorrow but anyone any idea how the insurance side of things works out? I know I can't sell my old car without insurance for practical reasons like a prospective buyer wanting a test drive. Will insurance companies allow you to pay a bit for temporary insurance until the old car is sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Apologies for the basic question but I've never sold my car privately. Will be picking up my new car at the weekend and will have to sell the one I have then. Will be ringing my insurance company tomorrow but anyone any idea how the insurance side of things works out? I know I can't sell my old car without insurance for practical reasons like a prospective buyer wanting a test drive. Will insurance companies allow you to pay a bit for temporary insurance until the old car is sold?

No, and that’s the risk you’ll have to take. Also having the car uninsured on your driveway/road is another problem.

The only real solution is the get the prospective buyer to transfer their insurance onto it, other than that there’s no way around it.

Edit I should say that some insurance companies will allow people to drive a car that’s uninsured once it’s taxed and NCTd which the buyer will have to prove. But this will only be third party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UngratefulWhelp

Folks,
    I'm trying to sell my Mazda 6 but I'm getting zero bites on it. Up to this point, I think it's because it's been overpriced (I stupidly took bad advice), but now it's down where it should be, I'm still not getting any calls.

I have it up on Donedeal and Carzone. Any other options people can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The market is flooded and it’s just usually very quiet start of September (kids going back to school etc)

What’s the year model and mileage and how much are you asking?

Can you stick up a link to the ad? Mazda 6’s are a hard enough sell. You need to be very realistic and be pricing accordingly.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mazda/mazda6/fpa/201908211384153

This is it here. Quite reasonably priced, as far as I can see.

How is the warranty thing working?

• Advertisement

Has a 12 month warranty from the garage from date of sale. My car, but it's basically being sold by the garage.

They’re selling it for you?

I don’t think it’s priced bad if the warranty is good, but it’s down as a private seller on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Any advice on my add please .. I know not the best time for a convertible,, but no wise cracks at it being a renault. Thanks
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megan-cabriolet-1-4-dynamique-tomtom/22732084

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

11wingnut wrote: »
    Any advice on my add please .. I know not the best time for a convertible,, but no wise cracks at it being a renault. Thanks
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megan-cabriolet-1-4-dynamique-tomtom/22732084

Pictures in various locations with various lenses (or after effects) don't help it IMO. Go to one of those locations, and take pics from front, front/side, side, side/rear and rear from the same distance to the car. Order them like that on donedeal. 1 or 2 pics of the inside, and a pic of the roof down.

It's only been up 7 days so it's early yet.

The time of year isn't great for selling either (back to school costs), and as you say, it's a convertible in September. Perhaps more pics of the roof down so buyers can better relate it to the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fix the title first... Its Megane, not Megan.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

grogi wrote: »
    Fix the title first... Its Megane, not Megan.

It's also "5 star safety", not "5 stat safety", though I wouldn't even bother with that in the ad tbh.

I have never seen one of those before.

I would say it’s not very desirable though, in my eyes it’s more of a €4500 car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nice car but for a niche in the market. 570 tax will affect it and 6k for what is nearly a 10 year old Mégane. 4500 would be a more realistic price tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Difficult time of the year now to be selling a drop top as the summer is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

No, and that’s the risk you’ll have to take. Also having the car uninsured on your driveway/road is another problem.

The only real solution is the get the prospective buyer to transfer their insurance onto it, other than that there’s no way around it.

Edit I should say that some insurance companies will allow people to drive a car that’s uninsured once it’s taxed and NCTd which the buyer will have to prove. But this will only be third party

Was just about to post a similar thread /question

Have a 05 Focus with nct till next July taxes till end of this month
    Was hoping I’d just be able to trade it against the car I was getting but the dealer didn’t want it
    I’d nearly have let him take it for free to avoid the hassle of selling it !

I’d hate to scrap it as it’s been a fine car and is still running well
    But I don’t think I want the hassle and stress of trying to sell it
    Insurance will be switched to new car in 2 weeks so may just give it till then to try and sell

• Advertisement

If I do have to advertise it should I black out reg number on photos of car , certs etc

I see some ads that do it and some that don’t

I wouldn’t block it. I know if I’m looking at a car where the reg is hidden, I either think the person is a paranoid numpty or has something to hide. I just move on to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wouldn’t block it. I know if I’m looking at a car where the reg is hidden, I either think the person is a paranoid numpty or has something to hide. I just move on to the next one.

This. You realize this when you are actually buying a car and you want to do basic background checks and get insurance quotes - reg makes it much faster. Plus, what is somebody going to do with your reg from DoneDeal that they couldn't do by just getting the reg off a car in the street?

This. You realize this when you are actually buying a car and you want to do basic background checks and get insurance quotes - reg makes it much faster. Plus, what is somebody going to do with your reg from DoneDeal that they couldn't do by just getting the reg off a car in the street?

Thanks I was thinking that alright
    I’m going to see if either of the local mechanics/garages want to buy it off me first
    Hate the thought of having to sell it private myself

Going by donedeal I could prob get 7/800 for it but I’d be happy for them to give me less and take it off my hands !

What is the car?

What is the car?

2005 focus zetec 1.4 petrol 215k
    Nct until July next year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I've had a quick look through this thread and can't find an answer.

I've agreed to sell my car for cash.

The buyer is coming to my house tonight, with the cash, we will fill out the logbook together and then stamp it and send it with the new owner as a witness to us sending it off.

Question is who owns the car until the logbook is processed in Shannon i.e. over the weekend and presumably until Tuesday at the earliest?

If the buyer drives off in the car directly after posting that, are we not still the legal owner of the car until the logbook is processed? If he crashes the car over the weekend while it is still under our ownership?

If we insist on keeping the car until the ownership is registered, then the buyer will have given us the selling price of the car in cash with nothing to show for it?

What is the proper process here? We are planning to write up a contract but that's hardly water tight, and I feel the buyer would be reluctant to give us all the money if they can't drive off in the car that day

The guide on the first page says not to take partial payment for a car, which would have been my solution, until the registration is done and then the buyer returns with the rest of the cash and then can take away the car

Take a picture of the completed form

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Take a picture of the completed form

We would be doing this also yes.

Does the buyer then drive off in the car once the form is completed?

• Advertisement

Yes. Post the form off and off they go.

Advertisement