Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks Lm & MM lovin the biguity.

I did have those concerns hence the reason for posting here first, might try & sell locally word of mouth €3k may be ok. It's my own company vehicle I've had from new im now selling the business so really as much as I can get for it with as little hassle as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bring it to the auction in Mullingar on a Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ursus articus

Just looking for a bit of info lads! I'm going to be selling a car for my uncle in the next few weeks (waiting till its nct'd) it's a 2001 a6 2.4 quattro! It will have a new test and has 6 ish months tax! One owner from new and it's been well maintained. It'll fall into the bangernomics category given that it's covered 240000 miles! But it's a great car well maintained. Don't want to take the piss advertising it for stupid money but roughly what is it worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Just looking for a bit of info lads! I'm going to be selling a car for my uncle in the next few weeks (waiting till its nct'd) it's a 2001 a6 2.4 quattro! It will have a new test and has 6 ish months tax! One owner from new and it's been well maintained. It'll fall into the bangernomics category given that it's covered 240000 miles! But it's a great car well maintained. Don't want to take the piss advertising it for stupid money but roughly what is it worth?

Tricky!
    Give it a good clean. Use the Hyundai advert posted here very recently as your template.
    Talk through work done, receipts, tyres, services, timing belts etc.
    Take good photos in daylight.
    Personally if it is genuinely well maintained. Bodywork is decent etc.. with the tax and assuming 1 full year test.. €1,500 asking.. the market will soon tell you if you are right or wrong.
    Small market for it here with the tax bill unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ursus articus

Cheers for the reply. I'll have it valeted must check out watch kind of history my uncle kept for it. Hopefully it'll be posted here after next weekend When I get it cleaned and that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

lads whats a 06 Mazada 3 worth, salon style, 200K km on clock

nct till may 16, 4 new tyres , running well and in good nick,

going to stick on DD but not a clue as to value

Chance it at 3500 and see what interest you get.

If it's a gopd genuine car hold tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Hi, just wondering if someone could give me a rough guideline price for the following:

2004 VW Bora 100hp 1.9 TDI with 130,000 miles. Will be NCT'd next week (re-test as the tracking failed the first time), with timing belt, clutch and flywheel, rear brake discs and pads all done very recently.

In good condition; bits of cosmetic damage (small dent on side door, few tiny scrapes on bumper, etc, but the body is like most of those year VWs and is holding up very well).

Would have said based on looking at Carzone and DoneDeal that 2.5k - 3.5k would be a reasonable estimate, but then again I'm not in the business of buying or selling cars! Anyone in the know want to give me a rough valuation?

2000 might be the figure for it.

The arse has fallen out of that Gen Bora and Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I have a lad coming to look at my car today who said he would be able to take it today if the car is right. How do I go about making sure if I get cash that its all ok and above board, as banks aren't open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Cheers, I went up town there and picked one of them up.

Not ideal selling on a Sunday but I'm presuming it's common enough. Meeting him at my house. Presuming he'll have to get someone to bring him so between reg on that car, seeing some id and details filling in logbook I'm hoping that will be piece of mind enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How much are talking here? I would not be comfortable holding a lot of cash in my house overnight especially when a stranger knows where you have it too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    How much are talking here? I would not be comfortable holding a lot of cash in my house overnight especially when a stranger knows where you have it too.

It will be sub 5K and will be lodged in bank in the morning but can hold it elsewhere if necessary overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You probably know already but make sure you keep logbook to post, don't give it to buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 resuresu

I'm not sure about one thing below and hope someone can explain it to me:

I've got a small car from 1998, with no tax and no nct now. And want to sell it. The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the last disc have expired (and it's not in perfect condition, although if someone would put some work and money into it...)
    Don't expect that any private buyer will take it from me, so I thought that maybe I will call one of those guys from donedeal/cars/wanted - they will probably take it off me.
    But I have no idea how it works and how to deal with it - do I sell it just like to any other buyer? What about that road tax? Is that tax outstanding on me? I mean - if I'm gonna sell that car to John or Joe, will I have to pay that unpaid road tax?

Any advice?

No, the tax won't be outstanding to your or the new owner.

Tbh, it's not worth drawing scum to your doorstep (Unless the car realistically has a value over 3-400). I would ring a local scrap yard etc. and get it properly disposed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colm1010

My name is still on the log book of a car i no longer own. There is a form you can get which will get the car out of my name/says that i surrender the vehicle until someone else comes forward to claim it. I used one for a previous car beforwle but cant remember what its called. Anyone help me with this?

You could just apply for a replacement logbook.

Other than that, as far as I was aware you had to go to the Commissioner of Oaths and get them to sign a form for you to say you no longer own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pm750

Be careful paying cash for cars and meeting seller in small populated areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 irisheagle14

Hi guys, currently driving a 318d m sport, 81k miles. Bought it when I was driving up to 700 miles a week but now only driving less then 100 so thinking of downsizing. Any idea of the value of these cars at the moment? Cheera

What year is it? Does it have any factory extras over the standard M Sport? Full Service history? How long is the NCT for? How many owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irisheagle14

Sorry should have said. It's 2008 registration, 2 owners . Full service history. Not full bmw service history but independent garage.

Two similar ones here but I think they are on the high side, as I sold a similar car over 2 years ago for €15k:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/3-Series/318-E90/201508231165311/

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/3-Series/318-D/201451229451609/

I'd probably start off at advertising it at €12500 and see how much interest you get. If you get no interest then consider dropping the price gradually. Really depends how fast you wanted it sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Hi guys,
    I'm selling my car and a potential buyer is coming to see the car on Sunday. As I understand from the first post, I get his money, I let him fill the reg cert and post it the following day. When should I let him take the car?
    Thanks

You should check and verify all money first. As soon as you are happy that the money is genuine, you can release the car. The registration cert you hold on to and post off.

Thanks. So, he can drive away with his new car this sunday if he pays in full (cash)?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yanu wrote: »
    Thanks. So, he can drive away with his new car this sunday if he pays in full (cash)?

Yes. Just make sure you send away the logbook.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I'll be selling my discovery soon as I'm moving to the UK and I was wondering what peoples opinion on which sites are best to list on. I noticed the traditional autotrader/cbg sites haven't much in the way of similar models and donedeal has a handful but they're not shifting.

Advertisement