Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

El Weirdo wrote: »
    This is a different site to the one that's been in the news lately.
    I stand corrected then.

I'll still stick with my point that they are not travellers, if they are not actually travelling around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

hondasam wrote: »
    Where is home ?

Er, Romania, Poland.

And as for the English or Irish travellers, they can't elect to live outside of society and society's laws as they claim, as do their apologists, to have a 'different culture'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

It would seem the majority of travellers are criminals. That is something that needs to be properly addressed by travellers and pavee point, and not Just swept under the rug as it currently is by apologists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

steve9859 wrote: »
    Er, Romania, Poland.
    Dear god! Tell me your joking or not that daft!

Please learn the difference between Roma and European traveling groups as such.
    To say they all come from Romania, Poland, is just showing ones lack of knowledge as to actual accurate facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Where is home ?

On the road. After all they are travellers :D

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Dear god! Tell me your joking or not that daft!

To say they all come from Romania, Poland, is just showing ones lack of knowledge as to actual accurate facts.

OK my mistake, I read the article as meaning that those arrested were of Polish and Romanian descent, not the slaves, and I was commenting on this story. Of course I know that 'travellers' (and I puposefully use apostrophes) are not all Romanian.

But the fact remains that people on this thread have sought to excuse 'traveller' behaviour due to a supposed cultural difference and that (and I quote) "It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules".

I'm sick of traveller apologists, and this "ethnic group" and "culturally different" nonsense. Those in the news now are even completely settled. They even come out with nonsense like "we're travellers and we want to stay here"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The people arrested are Irish, it happened in France as well 6 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/dec/16/france.jonhenley?INTCMP=SRCH

Shocking stuff, but taking people on the fringes of society who are unlikely to be reported missing is probably a major part of why they got away with it for so long. Hopefully those rescued make a full recovery and can rejoin society

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But the fact remains that people on this thread have sought to excuse 'traveller' behaviour due to a supposed cultural difference and that (and I quote) "It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules".

I'm sick of traveller apologists, and this "ethnic group" and "culturally different" nonsense. Those in the news now are even completely settled. They even come out with nonsense like "we're travellers and we want to stay here"!!
    Is your sarcasm detector broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

indiewindy wrote: »
    The people arrested are Irish, it happened in France as well 6 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/dec/16/france.jonhenley?INTCMP=SRCH

Shocking stuff, but taking people on the fringes of society who are unlikely to be reported missing is probably a major part of why they got away with it for so long. Hopefully those rescued make a full recovery and can rejoin society

If this is the third known case I wager it's not isolated incidents and that police should raid these camps more often.

Another case
    Four members of a family of travellers accused of forcing homeless people to work like 'slaves' are today behind bars.
    William Connors, 50, his wife Breda, 46, their son John, 28, and son in law Miles, 22, are alleged to have threatened and coerced down-and-outs and street drinkers into modern day slavery.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370669/4-travellers-held-police-slavery-charges-Gloucestershire.html#ixzz1Xfhid700

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Is your sarcasm detector broken?

Yes. Smashed. Blind rage tends to have that effect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

biko wrote: »
    If this is the third known case I wager it's not isolated incidents and that police should raid these camps more often.

Another case

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370669/4-travellers-held-police-slavery-charges-Gloucestershire.html#ixzz1Xfhid700

Miles. What a great name for a traveler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Miles. What a great name for a traveler.

If he's a bare knuckle boxer - does he get clocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I'll still stick with my point that they are not travellers, if they are not actually travelling around.
    they define themselves as travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Let's not jump the gun and get all racist here. These people are a different ethnic group than us settled folk and simply have different traditions within their own culture. It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules.
    There is traditions - which is fair enough... but then there is slavery, which is a whole other thing altogether!
    ...And we should expect them to live by state rules if not European ones!
    If they've been living in the one spot for that amount of time, they are settled, and not really living up to their given name now, are they!?

It still cannot excuse what they have done, those who were against the eviction are hopefully eating their own words right now.
    er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules. They can feck off home if they love their rules so much.
    theyre not a different race

that 2nd word you use is debatable , people wouldnt do some of the things these stories tell us , sometimes their actions paint them more as rabid animals more than anything

It truly amazes me here sometimes when even seasoned posters don't 'get' a sarcastic post! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

biko wrote: »

Another case

If he's a bare knuckle boxer - does he get clocked?

Boom. We're here all week folks - tip your waitress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Slavery is alive and well in this 21st century and it is not only the traveller community engaged in it. Probably more now then there has ever been, numbers wise.

Its called indentured service now, just a modern term the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Arresting them over a few slaves and evicting them after illegaly building traveller village when they had no right to?

Stop with the ethnic cleansing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    It truly amazes me here sometimes when even seasoned posters don't 'get' a sarcastic post! :eek:

To be fair sarcasm doesnt always travel well in text form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'm sure the media will make an Irish connection somewhere along the line.
    I hope to fcuk there is no Irish connection. That is a vile nasty thing to do or be involved in (slavery that is).
    Pavee Point ? :confused:
    http://paveepoint.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

<SNIP>

Mod note: User banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Latchy wrote: »
    And in the back garden of merry ol England to ... I wonder what other horror mysterious are out there waiting to be liberated .

It was happening a lot closer to home too, Bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

To be fair sarcasm doesnt always travel well in text form.

True, but in this case I thought it was blatantly obvious. I also commend the poster for not using the rolleyes to personify his point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

charlemont wrote: »
    It was happening a lot loser to home too, Bud.
    Irelands own horror shows have being well documented for sure but as Biggins said ,we sometimes don't realise what's going on in our own back yards .Even when it's sometimes staring us in the face :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There is no difference. "Not us" = all the same, obviously!

This is absolutely appalling and not enough bad things can happen to the scumbags involved in this. There is literally nothing that can be done to them that will be too much punishment. Added to that, anywhere with even the slightest suspicion of something similar should be acted on ASAP in future in light of this. It is one of the most sickening things I have heard in a long, long time.

However, having said that...

Some people on here really should be ashamed of themselves. Jumping in and lumping all travellers as the same, hinting at this being the norm in the travelling community and attempting to pre-emptively exempt anybody from pointing out that this was FIVE INDIVIDUALS and not the entire travelling community as "traveller apologists" is outrageous.

Hey, surprise... they are Irish, according to the Irish Times. If this story went continental or even global, how would you like it if this were sold as "Irish holding slaves" or if other nations were to hold that against us as a whole? Does anybody have family living abroad? What if they were getting suspicious looks now because "those Irish... they love to travel to other countries and kidnap people into slavery"?

How many people here have seen rednecks in America labelling every black person they come across "a Muslim" and every 'Muslim' they come across as "a terrorist" (think Obama)? If you agree with them then that is your own problem, but if you disagree with them and jumping all over the entire travelling community for this, then you are a hypocrite and every bit as bad. No two ways about it.

Seriously, as a nation that gets stereotyped a lot, with a history of being discriminated and slurred against, that had to (and continues to) work hard to overcome that in recent decades, we really do have a lot of people amongst us who are no better at all. Probably worse, given that we know what it feels like.

Ok, now that that's done, who's going to be the first to try labelling me as a "traveller apologist" (or some other, less 'PC', term)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It is unbelievable to think it's going on for 15yrs. There has to be more to the story.
    I'm sure the media will make an Irish connection somewhere along the line.

It seem they are Irish travellers after all according to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Fieldies Dreams

Travellers shouldnt be allowed keep dogs never mind slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Apparantly the accused replied when asked had they force unpaid labourers to work up to fifteen hours a day resurfacing and tarmacing "It's not asphalt"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It just shows the little, if any, moral values that is held by the vast majority of itinerants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Glad to see the cracks starting to appear in the government's new Job Bridge scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

EggsAckley wrote: »
    Apparantly the accused replied when asked had they force unpaid labourers to work up to fifteen hours a day resurfacing and tarmacing "It's not asphalt"

15 years of tarmacing and there only resurfacing now.

Advertisement