Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Solair wrote: »
    I think the book should be thrown at whoever is responsible for this. It's just inhumane, inexcusable and utterly illegal under national and UN law!

However, I think the book should also be thrown at those behind The Industrial Schools and The Magdalene Laundries both of which were slavery operations which kept people in dire conditions without pay.

Unfortunately its easier to go after the travellers than the establishment, Brothers, Priests and Nuns are still walking around free and there is no appetite from the powers that be to prosecute them, Personally I think they are afraid of them opening their mouths to reveal how all sections of our so called elite were in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

J. Marston wrote: »
    The day I take pictures of a traveller with a boob job on Sky News is the day that I know I've hit rock bottom. Sorry :(.

They did look nice, in fairness to her. Face was a mess though...

A screenshot would do! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I wonder has the Gardaí taken a newfound interest in the traveller groups roaming the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

It was funny how the cameraman pulled back to get her rockin boobs into shot
    TheBunk1 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

TheBunk1 wrote: »

Jeez, that gives the meaning of Silicon Valley a whole new meaning..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

moomooman wrote: »
    It was funny how the cameraman pulled back to get her rockin boobs into shot

Haha, yeah I noticed that too. Suppose he felt we needed to get the full picture...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wrong, I understood what he meant so it be OK

Engerlish evolves.

Not all evolution is good.

Plus, people doing somthing wrong for so long that others start doing it isnt really evolution, its just lots of stupid people doing the same thing wrong.

People mishearing could've and writing it as could of isnt good evolution.

Since we're now "evolving" to using slaves again, I think I'll get me some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Travellers being scumbags. Wow, what a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Some day, when our own state gets the courage, we will hear enormous stories of physical abuse, depravity, sexual abuse, widespread mistreatment and so much more of traveller women and children. It is widely known that this goes on to a disproportionate extent within that community. It should be said publicly by a state-appointed investigator.

At the moment the entire "respect Traveller culture" line merely sacrifices the weak to the most reprehensible and barbarous aspects of that culture. It's time for the state to go in, and for educated Irish people to put their liberalism above political correctness and defend the state in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dionysus wrote: »
    Some day, when our own state gets the courage, we will hear enormous stories of physical abuse, depravity, sexual abuse, widespread mistreatment and so much more of traveller women and children. It is widely known that this goes on to a disproportionate extent within that community. It should be said publicly by a state-appointed investigator.

At the moment the entire "respect Traveller culture" line merely sacrifices the weak to the most reprehensible and barbarous aspects of that culture. It's time for the state to go in, and for educated Irish people to put their liberalism above political correctness and defend the state in this situation.
    Despite what I was saying in regards to discrimination against travellers as a whole earlier in the thread regarding this incident, I agree with this post wholeheartedly; great points.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its beginning to look like the whole thing might have been exaggerated a bit. Some of the "freed" men have gone back to the camp and don't want to talk to the police at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No sign of a statement from Pavee Point I take it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

No sign of a statement from Pavee Point I take it then.

Something something, dags, something something, periwinkle blue, something something, racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did anyone see the traveller lady on the 6 news. Massive diddies!!! Great interview boss...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

baldbear wrote: »
    Did anyone see the traveller lady on the 6 news. Massive diddies!!! Great interview boss...:pac:

''Dey took my husband and his two brudders, and they both is innocent.''

Seriously, how the (male) reporters focused on asking her questions with those tig ol' bitties hanging out is a mystery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I could not understand a word she said, not surprising really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder how much copper piping her brother had to sell to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's on bbc news just now. They just interviewed a toothless specimen who had his jumper on inside out and back to front - they didn't do nuhhin apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Check out the traveller spokeswoman :pac: in all her neon glory.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=39961&locID=1.2

"No slaves here boss"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

J. Marston wrote: »

''Dey took my husband and his two brudders, and they both is innocent.''

Seriously, how the (male) reporters focused on asking her questions with those tig ol' bitties hanging out is a mystery.
    Playboy gonna do a traveller special

Any word from Amnesty International or Vanessa Redgrave yet??? ;)

maybe they think travellers should be allowed to keep slaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She had a butter face though.
    Great chest, great arse, but her face !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Muckie wrote: »
    Check out the traveller spokeswoman :pac: in all her neon glory.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=39961&locID=1.2

"No slaves here boss"

Gloriously blatant camera work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The travelling community as they call themselves never fail to amaze me!As if there culture wasnt bad enough already with fighting,stealing,animal abuse etc...now there keeping slaves!!hahaha

These people thrive on the tolerance of our society and weve put up with it for to long,i mean there culture is crime and we put up with it!Why il never no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The travelling community as they call themselves never fail to amaze me!As if there culture wasnt bad enough already with fighting,stealing,animal abuse etc...now there keeping slaves!!hahaha

These people thrive on the tolerance of our society and weve put up with it for to long,i mean there culture is crime and we put up with it!Why il never no.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

silly wrote: »
    One of the 15 have left the medical centre and headed back to the camp site saying the police are overreacting, and its his home.
    I think I heard most of the 15 are not supporting the police investigation.
    After living there for 15 years, some don't know any better. Could also be a hint of Stockholm syndrome in there as well. And after being homeless, they may consider anything "home".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dionysus wrote: »
    put their liberalism above political correctness
    Thought they meant the same thing?

But anyway, despite what some folks are imagining, it's unlikely even the most do-goody of do-gooders would defend this. And anyone who does defend it would be condemned by the do-gooders.

Most people who defend travellers are merely saying they're not all bad. It's only the bad ones you hear about. Sure, there are problems inherent within the communities - a girl I know who is a social worker and works with travellers would tell you that herself - but there are good 'uns, no matter how many bad 'uns there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

the_syco wrote: »
    After living there for 15 years, some don't know any better. Could also be a hint of Stockholm syndrome in there as well. And after being homeless, they may consider anything "home".

Or maybe they have been told that the crap will be beaten out of them or their families. They is no way that this could be going on without the whole "camp" knowing - they should arrest the others as accessories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Dudess wrote: »
    Thought they meant the same thing?

Far from it. Political correctness is an urge to fit into what is perceived to be expected, particularly with regard to not offending particular groups. Liberalism (and it's a very broad church) would tend to put the ideals of rights and responsibilities first and if groups are offended because of defending those rights - e.g. right to live in dignity and without fear - then that is incidental to the defence of those rights.

There are, it must be said, various strands of liberalism. But even communitarian liberalism which emphasises the rights of the community rather than the rights of the individual, would not accept silence about the culture of abuse and suffering within minority communities (or any community) based on some spurious politically-correct "respect a minority community's rights" and don't interfere because it will cause offence.

Advertisement