Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Billy86 wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask where? Just that I have not heard/read it. He is ass't director of Pavee Point, right?

Yep. He was on the radio yesterday. Shouldn'tbe a surprise to anyone. Pavee have been very vocal on slavery/exploitation issues for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

alastair wrote: »
    Yep. He was on the radio yesterday. Shouldn'tbe a surprise to anyone. Pavee have been very vocal on slavery/exploitation issues for years.
    Well that is interesting. I mean as the ass't director and spokesperson of Pavee Point, if he came out an condemned it, how can it then be said that Pavee Point are being silent on the issue?

Also, and this is a genuine question to Zohan... how do the travelling community come out and denounce it as a group? Would they have to all sign a collective petition, or have a spokesperson for every site/community manage to get on air/in print to do likewise? Or is there some other body apart from Pavee Point that I am ignorant of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

I've no great love for the 'travelling community' - too many bad experiences down through the decades - but I'm not buying this whole thing. Something's not right. 'Slavery' should mean being forced to work for nothing - this does not seem to be the case. Exploitation maybe, not slavery. The whole camp wasn't exactly surrounded by barbed wire - those 'slaves' could have fecked off at any time but obviously chose not too.

Morally, it is wrong by the looks of things but calling this slavery reeks of media/pinko opportunism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Don't we have a lengthy thread on this already?

Sarcasm or troll?
    mikom wrote: »
    King Billy86, right?

Mikom you hit that nail on the head wonder did he know the travellers were from "Norn iron":pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

alastair wrote: »
    Given that Collins is Pavee's spokesperson, and that there's probably no meeting scheduled at Pavee for 'official' statements, it sounds like you're just selectively deaf. Saddo.

If you have to resort to insults such as calling posters "Saddo" then I don't think there's much point in engaging with you because name calling infers that you might not have the intellectual capacity to carry out a reasoned debate. Jog on, you're not worth getting banned over..
    Also, and this is a genuine question to Zohan... how do the travelling community come out and denounce it as a group? Would they have to all sign a collective petition, or have a spokesperson for every site/community manage to get on air/in print to do likewise? Or is there some other body apart from Pavee Point that I am ignorant of?

That's a fair question. I suppose the local community on the site that the police raided would be best placed to come out and condemn the actions of those that were arrested. They have access to the media and you can be sure that the media would accommodate them. Likewise a soundbite from Pavee Point on a radio station is not enough in this case, they should, at the very least, issue a statement. They're well able to do it when they believe the travelling community have been wronged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://paveepoint.ie/
    Last update, Sept 7th.
    Title: Birth Cohort Follow Up Report to All Ireland Traveller Health Study released

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

TheZohan wrote: »
    If you have to resort to insults such as calling posters "Saddo" then I don't think there's much point in engaging with you because name calling infers that you might not have the intellectual capacity to carry out a reasoned debate. Jog on, you're not worth getting banned over..

I think we all have the measure of you. How's that 'deafening silence' working out for you in the face of cold facts to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Maybe now we can get something done about Travellers. Maybe we can ship them all to Lambay Island and they can live together there is they don't want to live by the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Someone called Connors involved in criminality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TheZohan wrote: »
    Pavee Point and the entire travelling community have been very silent over all of this. I've yet to hear anyone from either group condemn what happened.

As has been pointed out their spokesman was on the radio condemning it. I'm not sure what you mean by the entire travelling community?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

A report just came out stating that there where more arrests made earlier this year over this. How come we're only hearing about it now?
    The report also said it seems to be only travellers with the surname Connors that are involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

A report just came out stating that there where more arrests made earlier this year over this. How come we're only hearing about it now?
    The report also said it seems to be only travellers with the surname Connors that are involved.

Blacky from Glenroe was one of the ringleaders according to sky news..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Connors is a very wexford Traveller name. Is there any pictures of the lads that have been charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

wild_cat wrote: »
    Is there any pictures of the lads that have been charged?

Yeah here. Super charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Yeah here. Super charged

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

K-9 wrote: »
    As has been pointed out their spokesman was on the radio condemning it. I'm not sure what you mean by the entire travelling community?

Few posts up, their local community, where the arrests were made.

Racist.

That's a fair question. I suppose the local community on the site that the police raided would be best placed to come out and condemn the actions of those that were arrested. They have access to the media and you can be sure that the media would accommodate them. Likewise a soundbite from Pavee Point on a radio station is not enough in this case, they should, at the very least, issue a statement. They're well able to do it when they believe the travelling community have been wronged.
    True enough on PP, though the soundbite may be a sign of something on the way, as they are obviously in a very delicate situation themselves on this. However I could not agree more about the local site, and I think their silence (coupled with the boobatic on Sky News yesterday) comes over as very, very damning indeed. It's one of those situations where (in my opinion) 'the better you know them, the quicker you have to act' which buys PP a bit of time to themselves try to get to the bottom of it somewhat before making a full statement, but where the people living in the same houses as those arrested need to make their point very, very soon. It's only been a day and a half, but that window is almost closed already, with regards to them (the neighbours).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

True enough on PP, though the soundbite may be a sign of something on the way, as they are obviously in a very delicate situation themselves on this. However I could not agree more about the local site, and I think their silence (coupled with the boobatic on Sky News yesterday) comes over as very, very damning indeed. It's one of those situations where (in my opinion) 'the better you know them, the quicker you have to act' which buys PP a bit of time to themselves try to get to the bottom of it somewhat before making a full statement, but where the people living in the same houses as those arrested need to make their point very, very soon. It's only been a day and a half, but that window is almost closed already, with regards to them (the neighbours).
    You can't think of a traveller site like a street. the people living in the house next door are brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/cousins/or a combination. They live together and work together. They not only knew about these guys, they were part of the reason those guys were there. Even if they did not use them themselves they knew about them. this is not a fritzel or jacee case, they were not hidden. the cleaned the site when not out working.
    This is a widespread practice of travellers, in my experience, and is happening everywhere there are travellers who travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

lynski wrote: »
    You can't think of a traveller site like a street. the people living in the house next door are brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/cousins/or a combination. They live together and rob together. They not only knew about these guys, they were part of the reason those guys were there. Even if they did not use them themselves they knew about them. this is not a fritzel or jacee case, they were not hidden. the cleaned the site when not out working.
    This is a widespread practice of travellers, in my experience, and is happening everywhere there are travellers who travel.

FYP

Lynski... did you read my post you just responded to?

And all travellers who travel? I thought others on here were saying it was all travellers who don't travel? Or all travellers full stop? I'm not even responding to that stuff after this point, because I have known a few different groups of travellers and can tell you that last sentence of your post is simply untrue. It's a poor and untrue generalisation that does nothing but further the divide between both communities, which in no way helps anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

This is an unbelievable story. It's hard to believe there's still slavery in this day and age.

But would it be asking too much to leave the all-out traveller bashing out of it? There are decent honest people among them who are persistantly blackened by criminals like these and by a lot of the settled community who seemed to feel we are are some-how above them.

Lets leave it out for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some people can't tell the difference between defending travellers who are good people, and defending this kind of exploitative operation.

Dudess wrote: »
    Some people can't tell the difference between defending travellers who are good people, and defending this kind of exploitative operation.

Who here is defending anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sigh... I'm agreeing with you.

Dudess wrote: »
    Sigh...

Elaborate please?

I wasn't getting at you....just wondering if I'd missed something?

Just saw your edit....to be fair it's hard to know on AH sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Because sometimes indignation is a slow burning thing.

Alternatively, some arrests were made and the cops got some names and some co-operation...rather than instantly put it out there they protected the investigation and increased it's scale and scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Lynski... did you read my post you just responded to?

And all travellers who travel? I thought others on here were saying it was all travellers who don't travel? Or all travellers full stop? I'm not even responding to that stuff after this point, because I have known a few different groups of travellers and can tell you that last sentence of your post is simply untrue. It's a poor and untrue generalisation that does nothing but further the divide between both communities, which in no way helps anything.

i read your post i was saying that you cant expect a response or excuses from the others because they were involved.
    Did you read my post? i did not say all I said where there are travellers who travel. there is a difference between those who travel and those who don't and In My Experience those who travel engage in these practices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A petition signed by the travellers in the Greenacre site has been released

"We the travellers at the Greenacres Camp totally abhor slavery"

Signed -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    x

Advertisement