Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Here are some video interviews with people kept as slaves.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14923414

Fair play on the two men who have risked their personal safety to reveal their stories

What I dont get here is the bleeding hearts that think because some of the slaves are exhibiting classic stockholm sydrome and because victims are in fear of their lives that somehow the reports are "things are a bit exaggerated"!

Many travellers live a life outside the laws of the UK & Ireland with traveller clans having an inclusive, inward looking culture whose very basis is often criminal in nature.

Many of their activities make the mafia look like a nursery school group. The police often find it virtually impossible to deal with them because as soon as any investigation is undertaken they scream racial discrimination, ethnic cleansing and discrimination.

The sooner that the law is applied properly to these gangs the sooner that such practices will cease to be tolerated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0915/1224304142426.html

MARK HENNESSY, London Editor
    THE BRITISH government is failing in its international obligations to house Travellers,

What international obligation :confused:

Do governments also have an "international obligation" to house everyone else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    What international obligation :confused:

Do governments also have an "international obligation" to house everyone else ?

The government are actually offering these families who have built on the green belt land council housing in nearby towns, but they are refusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,647 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its beginning to look like the whole thing might have been exaggerated a bit. Some of the "freed" men have gone back to the camp and don't want to talk to the police at all.[/QUOTE
    That`s mental slavery, total slavery. You might understand it when your older.

Oh sorry Mastermind but i was just making an observation on what the radio said, AND i am still of the opinion that while people were held captive there is always a media agenda and a tendency to exaggerate. Did you ever hear the statement "the story never loses in the telling" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Low self esteem, timid
    addiction,
    allready suffering from some form of mental illness,
    than
    intimidation,
    terrorise,
    beatings,
    starvation and FEAR will eventually lead to breaking of will power in most people.
    Instituitionalized, thats why he went back to the camp site.
    You don`t need shackles when the victim is mentally dominated.

Exaggerate the story, not this time, this is real news.
    I think it was played down.
    This is a real story with real victims.
    Slavery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

On a related note:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0915/1224304142426.html

MARK HENNESSY, London Editor
    THE BRITISH government is failing in its international obligations to house Travellers, despite promoting democracy and the protection of human rights in other countries, a United Nations adviser complained yesterday during a visit to the Dale Farm Travellers’ site in Essex.
    Council workers continued to make preparations yesterday, including the laying of a temporary road across a field, for the evictions of up to 80 Traveller families from the site outside Basildon yesterday, scheduled to begin early next Monday.
    UN adviser Prof Yves Cabannes said the local council was infringing international human rights in three key areas – the right of ethnic minorities to be protected, the right to have adequate housing and security of tenure and the right to be protected from forced evictions.
    The Travellers affected by the evictions, who are living on land they own but for which they have been refused planning permission, were not “the ones breaking the law”, he said. Instead, it was the council which had failed to provide the required number of Travellers’ pitches.
    Police officers are on duty at the entry roads to Dale Farm. However, residents among the settled community and Travellers, the Travellers’ supporters and members of the press are allowed access, The Irish Times found yesterday.
    Grattan Puxon of the Gypsy Council said it would serve papers on Basildon council tomorrow charging that seven Travellers were unfit to be moved. He claimed that the Court of Appeal was on a four-hour standby to hear the case tomorrow.
    However, the council said it had no knowledge of the last-minute legal bid. “As far as we are concerned, we have reached the end of the legal road on this one,” a spokesman said. “There isn’t anything more to be said.”
    Seven travellers have been examined by Dr Frank Arnold, who found that one is disabled and bed-bound and two have life-threatening illnesses and need electric-powered nebulisers, which, if lost, would “certainly” mean that they would develop pneumonia and “die within days or weeks”.
    “It is my professional opinion that a significant number of the residents of Dale Farm who are being ordered to leave would come to serious and predictable harm if they are evicted under present arrangements.
    “For some, this harm would be irreversible,” he said, adding that Basildon Borough Council’s examination of the Travellers’ health has “been conducted with a lack of appropriate medical advice, due attention to obvious health concerns and common sense”.
    Some Travellers living on the illegal part of Dale Farm are expected to move into legal pitches elsewhere on the encampment. Basildon council has said in a letter that it would not interfere with any such moves.
    Former Unicef official Sir Richard Jolly has supported the Travellers, saying that he had watched the events at Dale Farm “with a growing sense of outrage”, adding that the British government has “clear obligations” under UN law to protect children.
    A Travellers delegation met the House of Commons all-Party Parliamentary Group for Gypsies and Travellers, where they called on communities secretary of state Eric Pickles to order a last-minute halt to the evictions.
    this is good news for the travellers,

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Has this been happening in Ireland or just England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Basildon pikeys are due to be evicted soon. They look dug in; could be fun.. sky news are on-site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

A petition signed by the travellers in the Greenacre site has been released

"We the travellers at the Greenacres Camp totally abhor slavery"

Signed -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    x
    Most of the scum can spell a few different names for all the post offices that they would visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

They've enslaved their children too, to an" F you I'm alright culture"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Reckon Sky news figures will be through the roof this week....everyone in Ireland+ UK looking to see the "travellers" and hippies getting a can of whoopa$$...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's going on in Tesco and a load of other places here, but it's called internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

happens here too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

http://paveepoint.ie/
    Pavee Point is shocked and appalled by recent allegations of slavery against Travellers in the United Kingdom.

Pavee Point is dedicated to the promotion of the Human Rights of all people – Pavee Point unequivocally condemns slavery, exploitation of vulnerable people and forced labour in all their forms, wherever, by whomever perpetrated and whenever they occur. The allegations made in the Green Acres case are extremely serious – it is of vital importance that if convicted, perpetrators of such crimes should feel the full force of justice.

We ask the public and media commentators to allow time for the investigation into conditions at Green Acres to proceed, in order to ensure the appropriate course of justice to take its course.

We further ask that anybody with any information on mistreatment of vulnerable people, slavery or forced labour to give that information to the relevant authorities – people in Ireland who wish to do this confidentially can contact Garda Confidential by free telephone on 1800 666 111.

We echo the concerns of the Irish Traveller Movement in Britain that slow progress in this investigation by the Bedfordshire police, which claims to have received 28 complaints since 2008 may have extended the mistreatment of alleged victims. We are concerned that questions on the timing of the eventual arrests in the case in such close proximity to the events at Dale Farm in Essex are inevitable and unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

http://paveepoint.ie/
    Pavee Point is shocked and appalled by recent allegations of slavery against Travellers in the United Kingdom.

Pavee Point is dedicated to the promotion of the Human Rights of all people – Pavee Point unequivocally condemns slavery, exploitation of vulnerable people and forced labour in all their forms, wherever, by whomever perpetrated and whenever they occur. The allegations made in the Green Acres case are extremely serious – it is of vital importance that if convicted, perpetrators of such crimes should feel the full force of justice.

We ask the public and media commentators to allow time for the investigation into conditions at Green Acres to proceed, in order to ensure the appropriate course of justice to take its course.

We further ask that anybody with any information on mistreatment of vulnerable people, slavery or forced labour to give that information to the relevant authorities – people in Ireland who wish to do this confidentially can contact Garda Confidential by free telephone on 1800 666 111.

We echo the concerns of the Irish Traveller Movement in Britain that slow progress in this investigation by the Bedfordshire police, which claims to have received 28 complaints since 2008 may have extended the mistreatment of alleged victims. We are concerned that questions on the timing of the eventual arrests in the case in such close proximity to the events at Dale Farm in Essex are inevitable and unfortunate.

Weasel words.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just as a follow-up to this thread. The slavers were found guilty today in UK.
    A traveller family kept a 'private army of slaves' who were starved and beaten into submission - and used them to fund a millionaires’ lifestyle.
    The victims - many of them homeless and addicted to drugs and alcohol - were kept in squalor, supplied with cannabis to keep them submissive and paid as little as £5 a day.
    While the family, headed by William Connor, lived in luxury, the men were used as labourers for their patio business and kept in line with punishments including flogging with broom handles and rakes.
    William, 52, wife Mary, 48, their sons John, 29, and James, 20, and son-in-law Miles Connors, 24, were today convicted in one of the first cases of its kind.
    Prosecutor Christopher Quinlan QC told Bristol Crown Court that the family built up ‘a private workforce at their beck and call’ who ‘were forced to work and exploited for financial gain’.

The family of five were found guilty today of conspiracy to require men to carry out forced or compulsory labour under Section 71 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009.
    As the jury foreman returned the verdict on Mary, she wept and shouted: 'Oh, daddy, daddy, why are you doing this to me? I've never done no wrong to anyone in my whole life.'
    DM (of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Travellers and their travails are like death and taxes, always with us

There are some though who do keep themselves to themselves and are not involved in extensive criminality, however if you were born into this way of life it would be all you knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

lynski wrote: »
    happens here too

Yes It does, I was friends with one of them that lived nearby, Myself and his girlfriends dad got him a lift back to England (I'm sure he was an ethnic English gypsy rather than Traveller), He even stayed at the back of the cab to avoid been spotted as they were looking for him. I'd love to know where he is now as we were close friends. This was ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The account I read of the court room is like something from a pantomime. Think it was in the independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

They should be caged up like the disgusting animals they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Dirty animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Its their culture! Anyone who disagrees is a racist,apparently ,according to the PC brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

From a person who has family that live on a road with 7 Traveller families.

"Hurdy - Gurdy people" i call them, always drama and adventure.

Golf TDI's driven at speed up and down the roads with no regard,

young children left to roam the street, to do what they like.

Loud in your face antics. List goes on.

I just wish the apologists and PC brigade could live beside these

wonderful examples of an itinerant people before they call anyone who

disagrees with their point of view as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

that's the thing, there is those that keep themselves to themselves,but it's just the select few bad eggs that gives them all the bad name!
    This story still shocks me though, disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Gee_G wrote: »
    that's the thing, there is those that keep themselves to themselves,but it's just the select few bad eggs that gives them all the bad name!
    This story still shocks me though, disgraceful!
    A FEW bad eggs?????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Show Time wrote: »
    A FEW bad eggs?????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

To be fair, some of them are quite respectable and pose no threat. Some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

A FEW bad eggs?????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yes a few bad eggs, and thankfully they were caught and prosecuted.
    Good to see the unequivical condemnation by Pavee Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

A FEW bad eggs?????

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Yep a few bad eggs! most of them just want to get on with their lives with no hassle believe it or not! Then you have some who are just out to cause trouble. Trust me, I know more than most about the trouble makers as I got to experience first hand the inside of a courtroom against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

They should lock them up in filthy cold conditions like they did to the poor misfortunes. And give them hard labor.

Advertisement