Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

lynski wrote: »
    i read your post i was saying that you cant expect a response or excuses from the others because they were involved.
    Did you read my post? i did not say all I said where there are travellers who travel. there is a difference between those who travel and those who don't and In My Experience those who travel engage in these practices.
    I did read your post; I was pointing out that others have been having a go at settled travellers in this thread, as well as travellers in general. Interestingly, the ones in this instance appear to be living in houses, suggesting they do not travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Because sometimes indignation is a slow burning thing.

Alternatively, some arrests were made and the cops got some names and some co-operation...rather than instantly put it out there they protected the investigation and increased it's scale and scope.
    Which is perhaps the right way to go about it. It's a tricky one since you need to make those potentially at risk aware of the dangers (especially foreign nationals who may not be as aware of who-or-what to be cautious of here & in the UK), but at the same time it is potentially dangerous to make something like this so public. Somebody made a post yesterday that there could be a lot of 'slaves' getting buried in the next few days, the possible truth of which is quite chilling, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

A petition signed by the travellers in the Greenacre site has been released

"We the travellers at the Greenacres Camp totally abhor slavery"

Signed -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    x
    and yet more comic genius from you. how do you think this stuff up

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have the breasts made a statement yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I think they're milking this story for all its worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mikemac wrote: »
    Any sign of Vanessa Redgrave?

I hear she feels strongly about issues and is willing to jump in if she feels human rights are breached

She is mentioned here LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I find it odd how the oldest person arrested is only 34, these people have been slaves for about 20 years so that means the oldest person started doing it at the age of 14?

Surely you not know that slaves can be left to your nearest and dearest in your will?

Fcs travellers work on a clan basis with families claiming rights on even large council provided halting site and refusing to share with other "traveller" families...dicrimination how are ya...

You honestly think that if grandaddy or the local king of that traveller family was involved in the abduction and threatening of slaves that the son / grandson is going to say " ah yer grand lads - twas all just a misunderstanding"!

We are not dealing with a noramlised society here. Travellers chose to live by their own laws and more often than not ignore the laws of whatever country they happen to live in - eg taxes, driving licences, planning permission, using other peoples land for the ponies, "borrowing" metal or the basis that this is their "culture" and to say otherwise is discriminastion .....yada yada yada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

anybody ask paddy doherty what he thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 holyfish

Latchy wrote: »
    And in the back garden of merry ol England to ... I wonder what other horror mysterious are out there waiting to be liberated .

The Garden of England is Kent not Hertfordshire. But that doesn't take away from this awful story.
    Leighton buzzard is in Bedfordshire not Hertfordshire , I lived there for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Used to visit Rathkeale area ,"Ancestral" home of the Travellers decades ago.Not any more;major deterioration,now quite unattractive and not an area where I'd park and go fishing.There also has been a marked increase in the numbers of settled and unsettled members of that community.Of course anti-social behaviour is not necessarily connected to that change in numbers as many small towns and once quiet areas near Limerick City have contracted the contagion of criminal activity, due mainly ,I believe, to the relocation policies of Local Authorities and the HSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What really annoyed me was the police apologising for disturbing the other residents and thanking them for their understanding. Like we're supposed to believe they didn't notice 28 strangers being enslaved. In such a closed community they had to have noticed. Everyone in that site should have been arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

1. It was 5 Travellers not the whole community.

2. They have being charged and not found GUILTY, This forum is sounding like a kangaroo court who knows maybe they could be found not guilty so you cant assume they are just in prison serving a sentence.

3. If the other residents of this camp were not arrested then don't make them out to be involved in it, who knows who knew what until the courts sort it out.

4. Alot of Irish people have done much worst crimes. Does that paint yourself with the same brush as them? No and all travellers shouldn't be painted this way either. I hope these people get what they deserve for what they did if they are FOUND GUILTY but as above it wasn't every traveller and best to wait until after the trial then express your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

How long before we see her on her own reality show "how to treat your slaves" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Now other travellers are intimadating the witnesses and they are becoming to scared to testify.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

anybody ask paddy doherty what he thought

Sausages :p

Now other travellers are intimadating the witnesses and they are becoming to scared to testify.

I've a fair idea about what I'll say to travellers when they call around on their almost aggressive sales/business pitch visit:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Still waiting to hear Pavee Point's reaction to this story. They're usually quick off the mark when it comes to travellers being 'victimised' yet not a peep out of them when it comes to a horrific story like this. Strange eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have been looking at the pictures of said campsite, it seems to beautifully kept. i cannot see how people could have been held against their will in that place.

goat2 wrote: »
    i have been looking at the pictures of said campsite, it seems to beautifully kept. i cannot see how people could have been held against their will in that place.
    Have you looked at the pictures of their living conditions? Four people living in one tiny caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Have you looked at the pictures of their living conditions? Four people living in one tiny caravan.
    i did not see those, i wonder how they survived the freezing cold winters we had in the past two years.

• Advertisement

I wonder if they will talk about this on the FM104 Phoneshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

On a related note:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0915/1224304142426.html

MARK HENNESSY, London Editor
    THE BRITISH government is failing in its international obligations to house Travellers, despite promoting democracy and the protection of human rights in other countries, a United Nations adviser complained yesterday during a visit to the Dale Farm Travellers’ site in Essex.
    Council workers continued to make preparations yesterday, including the laying of a temporary road across a field, for the evictions of up to 80 Traveller families from the site outside Basildon yesterday, scheduled to begin early next Monday.
    UN adviser Prof Yves Cabannes said the local council was infringing international human rights in three key areas – the right of ethnic minorities to be protected, the right to have adequate housing and security of tenure and the right to be protected from forced evictions.
    The Travellers affected by the evictions, who are living on land they own but for which they have been refused planning permission, were not “the ones breaking the law”, he said. Instead, it was the council which had failed to provide the required number of Travellers’ pitches.
    Police officers are on duty at the entry roads to Dale Farm. However, residents among the settled community and Travellers, the Travellers’ supporters and members of the press are allowed access, The Irish Times found yesterday.
    Grattan Puxon of the Gypsy Council said it would serve papers on Basildon council tomorrow charging that seven Travellers were unfit to be moved. He claimed that the Court of Appeal was on a four-hour standby to hear the case tomorrow.
    However, the council said it had no knowledge of the last-minute legal bid. “As far as we are concerned, we have reached the end of the legal road on this one,” a spokesman said. “There isn’t anything more to be said.”
    Seven travellers have been examined by Dr Frank Arnold, who found that one is disabled and bed-bound and two have life-threatening illnesses and need electric-powered nebulisers, which, if lost, would “certainly” mean that they would develop pneumonia and “die within days or weeks”.
    “It is my professional opinion that a significant number of the residents of Dale Farm who are being ordered to leave would come to serious and predictable harm if they are evicted under present arrangements.
    “For some, this harm would be irreversible,” he said, adding that Basildon Borough Council’s examination of the Travellers’ health has “been conducted with a lack of appropriate medical advice, due attention to obvious health concerns and common sense”.
    Some Travellers living on the illegal part of Dale Farm are expected to move into legal pitches elsewhere on the encampment. Basildon council has said in a letter that it would not interfere with any such moves.
    Former Unicef official Sir Richard Jolly has supported the Travellers, saying that he had watched the events at Dale Farm “with a growing sense of outrage”, adding that the British government has “clear obligations” under UN law to protect children.
    A Travellers delegation met the House of Commons all-Party Parliamentary Group for Gypsies and Travellers, where they called on communities secretary of state Eric Pickles to order a last-minute halt to the evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Prime Riverdance conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

so the irish are going to england, taking land that isnt theirs, making the locals work for nothing while letting them starve and beating them if they dont cooperate and to think i thought karma was a load of auld shoite
    Well, if it isn't then you have effectively negated the point you were trying to make.
    Karma - think about it - take your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

indioblack wrote: »
    Well, if it isn't then you have effectively negated the point you were trying to make.
    Karma - think about it - take your time.
    I think you're the one who needs to think about it. His point, while one may not necessarily agree with it in tone, is not contradictory in itself.

Perhaps you could tell us where you think you see the contradiction?

Wonder would the UN or UNESCO be interested in seeing to it that Travellers send their children to school for the full term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

On a related note:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0915/1224304142426.html

MARK HENNESSY, London Editor
    THE BRITISH government is failing in its international obligations to house Travellers, despite promoting democracy and the protection of human rights in other countries, a United Nations adviser complained yesterday during a visit to the Dale Farm Travellers’ site in Essex.
    Council workers continued to make preparations yesterday, including the laying of a temporary road across a field, for the evictions of up to 80 Traveller families from the site outside Basildon yesterday, scheduled to begin early next Monday.
    UN adviser Prof Yves Cabannes said the local council was infringing international human rights in three key areas – the right of ethnic minorities to be protected, the right to have adequate housing and security of tenure and the right to be protected from forced evictions.
    The Travellers affected by the evictions, who are living on land they own but for which they have been refused planning permission, were not “the ones breaking the law”, he said. Instead, it was the council which had failed to provide the required number of Travellers’ pitches.
    Police officers are on duty at the entry roads to Dale Farm. However, residents among the settled community and Travellers, the Travellers’ supporters and members of the press are allowed access, The Irish Times found yesterday.
    Grattan Puxon of the Gypsy Council said it would serve papers on Basildon council tomorrow charging that seven Travellers were unfit to be moved. He claimed that the Court of Appeal was on a four-hour standby to hear the case tomorrow.
    However, the council said it had no knowledge of the last-minute legal bid. “As far as we are concerned, we have reached the end of the legal road on this one,” a spokesman said. “There isn’t anything more to be said.”
    Seven travellers have been examined by Dr Frank Arnold, who found that one is disabled and bed-bound and two have life-threatening illnesses and need electric-powered nebulisers, which, if lost, would “certainly” mean that they would develop pneumonia and “die within days or weeks”.
    “It is my professional opinion that a significant number of the residents of Dale Farm who are being ordered to leave would come to serious and predictable harm if they are evicted under present arrangements.
    “For some, this harm would be irreversible,” he said, adding that Basildon Borough Council’s examination of the Travellers’ health has “been conducted with a lack of appropriate medical advice, due attention to obvious health concerns and common sense”.
    Some Travellers living on the illegal part of Dale Farm are expected to move into legal pitches elsewhere on the encampment. Basildon council has said in a letter that it would not interfere with any such moves.
    Former Unicef official Sir Richard Jolly has supported the Travellers, saying that he had watched the events at Dale Farm “with a growing sense of outrage”, adding that the British government has “clear obligations” under UN law to protect children.
    A Travellers delegation met the House of Commons all-Party Parliamentary Group for Gypsies and Travellers, where they called on communities secretary of state Eric Pickles to order a last-minute halt to the evictions.

Roughly translated as "UN demands that British government continue to give 'travellers' special treatment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The UN should go get fcuked. They've let countless massacres and state-led murders happen in the past 2 decades, but stand firm on a bunch of travellers who want nothing to do with any government that doesn't hand money over to them continuously.

Here are some video interviews with people kept as slaves.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14923414

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Its beginning to look like the whole thing might have been exaggerated a bit. Some of the "freed" men have gone back to the camp and don't want to talk to the police at all.[/QUOTE
    That`s mental slavery, total slavery. You might understand it when your older.

Advertisement