Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cronin_j's "Built Like a Badass Log"

Options
  • 15-09-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

Programme was due a major change, I was getting bored and even neglecting some vital lifts in favour of ones I liked; as a result by Bench has gone from a 70kg lift to a 60kg. This quite frankly shocked me.

I was perusing the Health and Fitness forum yesterday and came across Joe Defranco's "Built Like a Badass". I had a look at it, thought it was a little light with regard to the number of days in the gym but overall a good shake up which is what I needed. (For example I was never doing Hang Cleans before)

Its here: http://mrpj.mittnettsted.com/files/badass-ebook.pdf

So today going to the Gym I said Id try Day 1 out. Im off to Amsterdam for a long weekend this weekend so it was just a trial to start properly this Monday.

I took my measurements as follows:
    Height: 1.86m
    Arm Circumference: 38cm
    Chest Circumference: 108cm
    Waist Circumference: 90cm
    Thigh Circumference: 56cm
    Weight: 96.6kg

Day 1: (Ill start the same this Monday)
    Bench Press 8 Reps @ 72.5% = 43.5kg
    Bench Press 6 Reps @ 77.5% = 46.6kg (had to do 47.5kg)
    Bench Press 4 Reps @ 82.5% = 49.5kg (had to do 50kg)

Flat Dumbell Press
    2 sets x 20 Reps 15kg

Seated Overhand Cable Row
    4 sets x 15 Reps 139kg

Dumbell Shrugs
    3 sets x 15 Reps 30kg Dumbells

Dumbell Lateral Raise
    3 sets x 15 Reps 8kg Dumbells

Barbell Complex

2 sets x 10 each using 40kg.

I was literally gasping for air doing the Barbell Complex, by the time the Hang Cleans were over I was dying for the squats. They really take it out of you. I found it very hard to get my elbows in line with the bottoms of my ears, my Biceps felt like they wanted to break out of my skin.. I found my forearms were really feeling it too..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cronin_j wrote: »
    my Biceps felt like they wanted to break out of my skin.. I found my forearms were really feeling it too..

From hang cleans, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hanley wrote: »
    From hang cleans, or something else?

No from the bench press etc

Started this properly today.

Day 1:
    Bench Press 8 Reps @ 72.5% = 43.5kg
    Bench Press 6 Reps @ 77.5% = 46.6kg (had to do 47.5kg)
    Bench Press 4 Reps @ 82.5% = 49.5kg (had to do 50kg)

Flat Dumbell Press
    2 sets x 20 Reps 15kg

Seated Overhand Cable Row
    4 sets x 15 Reps 139kg

Dumbell Shrugs
    3 sets x 15 Reps 30kg Dumbells - had to do 3 sets of ten, my left hand kept opening holding the DB, must get some gloves.

Dumbell Lateral Raise
    3 sets x 15 Reps 8kg Dumbells

Barbell Complex
    2 sets x 10 each using 40kg.

The Barbell complex consists of Deadlift, Bent Row, Hang Cleans, Push Press, and Squats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIPAuxcL2g
    I had to stop on the second set after the Hang Cleans, physically couldnt push the bar up, I stopped for 15 seconds and went again..

Does anyone know a handy way to add more weight to the cable row? Im using the full stack

Day Two (Last Night)

1. DB Squat Jumps 4x6 usng 10kg (I know it says 10lbs but thats only 5kg roughly)

2. Squat
    72.5% x 8 x 72.5kg
    77.5% x 6 x 77 kg
    82.5% x 4 x 82.5 kg

3a. 45 Degree Back Raises (hold weight plate over chest): 3x15 used a 15kg plate wrapped in my towel

3b. Seated MB Twists (feet off ground): 3x20 ea side used a 15kg plate. the Medicine balls in the gym are only 5kg

4. Timed one-mile run: Took me 7:04 Mins

Advertisement