Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ant11 wrote: »
    On week-3 doing day 3 on Friday but my gym doesn't have that neutral grip handle to change from the normal lat pulldown bar. Any ideas what I could use instead? or could I just hold the normal bar with my hands together, which would simulate near enough the same movement.

Front Lat Pulldowns (Neutral Grip): 2 x Max Reps (20-25 Reps 1st Set, 10-20 2nd Set)
    It's suppsoed to look like this;
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-pro-24-inch-straight-lat-bar-attachment.php

I'm not sure how having your hands together simulates that. If you don't have it just use a regular grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Mellor wrote: »
    It's suppsoed to look like this;
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-pro-24-inch-straight-lat-bar-attachment.php

I'm not sure how having your hands together simulates that. If you don't have it just use a regular grip.

Cheers Mellor. I thought it was this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Idql2AY3s

TBH it could be that one too. I've no idea what Franco refered to really.
    Basically its wide vrs narrow neutral grip.

The reason I thought it was the one that I linked to, is because its a neutral grip lat bar attachment.
    The other one isn't specifically call that. Neutral grip row attachment, or double D being common.

You gym might have one, if its not with a rower its probably beside a barbell wedged in a corner for t-bar rows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Hey guys,

I did BLAB for the 12 weeks.
    My experience was that my weight went from about 87kg to about 84 and I got a lot leaner and fitter. Felt really good. My bench and squat went to sh1te though. I really liked the program so I decided I would give it ago again except drop the complexes at the end (apart from the core ones) and basically do my own version of it with 5x5 on the first lift. So for example 5x5 on the bench instead of the percentages and just add a little weight every week. This seems to be going really really well for me although I am doing 5 days training a week at the moment. Anyway I find it hard to see someones bench and squat getting stronger on this program but maybe if you get more food than I got in, it may work.
    The biggest thing I enjoyed was the variety in exercises and for anyone who is a bit stale/demotivated, this is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

I'm going to do Week 6 day 2 today and I have read through it and realised that I have never done a kneeling jump before. Anyone got any tips or alternate exercises I could do if I can't do one?
    Also, there is skipping at the end. Could this be replaced by squat jumps if there is no skipping rope to be found?

Cheers

Hank, I hope you gave the kneeling jumps a try. I had never done them before, and was also nervous trying them for the first time. I found them completely do-able, and was really excited to do them holding weight down the road. It's a pretty amazing feeling when you find out you're capable of something you didn't think you were.

• Advertisement

I'm going to do Week 6 day 2 today and I have read through it and realised that I have never done a kneeling jump before. Anyone got any tips or alternate exercises I could do if I can't do one?
    Also, there is skipping at the end. Could this be replaced by squat jumps if there is no skipping rope to be found?

Cheers

Hank what did you do instead of the skipping rope?? I have a skipping rope but can't skip for sh1t and I doubt I would have enough room in the gym.

I was thinking of simulating the same movement of skipping but with an imaginary skipping rope. It's basically the same movement bar I won't be falling over. I may look a bit stupid but I don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

Hank what did you do instead of the skipping rope?? I have a skipping rope but can't skip for sh1t and I doubt I would have enough room in the gym.

I was thinking of simulating the same movement of skipping but with an imaginary skipping rope. It's basically the same movement bar I won't be falling over. I may look a bit stupid but I don't really care.

I found a skipping rope in the gym so I tried it out. I'm not the greatest skipper but judging by raised heart rate I think it had the desired effect. Have you tried kneeling jumps? I still can't get the hang of them at all so I did some KB swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

I found a skipping rope in the gym so I tried it out. I'm not the greatest skipper but judging by raised heart rate I think it had the desired effect. Have you tried kneeling jumps? I still can't get the hang of them at all so I did some KB swings.

I looked like an idiot trying to do Kneeling Jumps, anyone have any advice? Love this program, but I agree with an earlier post, I'm going to ditch the percentage's for the squats and bench press and do a 5x5 routine.

Yeah the skipping really gets the heart pumping. I have a skipping rope at home so I tried to skip before I went the gym. I wasn't happening so I just did it today with my imaginary rope. did the job.

I also tried the kneeling jumps at home. I got 1 but I had to swing my body to get it. Id say I looked like a spa. I wouldnt be able to do it with a med ball or barbell behind my head. I have bad knees anyway so kneeling in that position is kinda painful for me so I just replaced that exercise.

IdidIt wrote: »

I looked like an idiot trying to do Kneeling Jumps, anyone have any advice? Love this program, but I agree with an earlier post, I'm going to ditch the percentage's for the squats and bench press and do a 5x5 routine.

I agree about the 5x5 theres nothing wrong with mixing it up. I started BLAB 4 weeks ago and really enjoying it. Because I'm going to Poland I wanted to get as much of the program in before I go so I skipped week 5 deload. I started wk6 this week. I noticed that wk6 percentages are lower than wk4 and I didn't see the point going down in weights when I've been increasing for the last 4 weeks. So this wk I'm doing the percentages of wk8. Im gona skip wk10 too. If I wasn't thight on time I wouldn't skip just to do the full programe properly but I prefer to push myself every wk instead of going down in weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 CopperPipe

I agree about the 5x5 theres nothing wrong with mixing it up. I started BLAB 4 weeks ago and really enjoying it. Because I'm going to Poland I wanted to get as much of the program in before I go so I skipped week 5 deload. I started wk6 this week. I noticed that wk6 percentages are lower than wk4 and I didn't see the point going down in weights when I've been increasing for the last 4 weeks. So this wk I'm doing the percentages of wk8. Im gona skip wk10 too. If I wasn't thight on time I wouldn't skip just to do the full programe properly but I prefer to push myself every wk instead of going down in weight.

The only thing I found about mixing it up is after a while you can easily find yourself mxing and matching things up too much. Next thing you know your doing a completely different program!

The weight does go down in week 6 alright but don't the reps increase? DeFranco seems to know what he's talking about and I reckon he mixed up the percentages/reps for a reason.

I completed this program about 4 weeks ago and stuck to it pretty religiously, I got some good gains by the end.

CopperPipe wrote: »

The only thing I found about mixing it up is after a while you can easily find yourself mxing and matching things up too much. Next thing you know your doing a completely different program!

The weight does go down in week 6 alright but don't the reps increase? DeFranco seems to know what he's talking about and I reckon he mixed up the percentages/reps for a reason.

I completed this program about 4 weeks ago and stuck to it pretty religiously, I got some good gains by the end.

Yeah I agree with you CP. If I wasn't stuck for time I wouldn't skip the deload weeks. My mate is doing it with me n he kinda needs me there to show him how to do everything as its his first time doing weights. So this way when I head away he should have enough experience and be able to do the last few weeks on his own.

As a man who finished the 12 weeks, how did you find the deload weeks? Did you feel it benefitted you like full of beans going into weeks 6 and especially 11?

Yeah I agree with you CP. If I wasn't stuck for time I wouldn't skip the deload weeks. My mate is doing it with me n he kinda needs me there to show him how to do everything as its his first time doing weights. So this way when I head away he should have enough experience and be able to do the last few weeks on his own.

As a man who finished the 12 weeks, how did you find the deload weeks? Did you feel it benefitted you like full of beans going into weeks 6 and especially 11?

I found the deload weeks very good. I was fairly tired by the end of week 4, took the deload week off, done a bit of stretching and all that. By the end of the deload week I was really looking forward to hitting it hard for week 6. I found it to be a big mental boost and grand to give myself a bit of a rest.

I'd reccommend taking it off to be honest but you are stuck for time so maybe it's not practical! Those couple of weeks in Poland might be enough deloading at the end!

I've started it again there on Monday so I'll let you know how I get on the 2nd time around. Did you do 5x5 before? Any good?

CopperPipe wrote: »
    I found the deload weeks very good. I was fairly tired by the end of week 4, took the deload week off, done a bit of stretching and all that. By the end of the deload week I was really looking forward to hitting it hard for week 6. I found it to be a big mental boost and grand to give myself a bit of a rest.

I'd reccommend taking it off to be honest but you are stuck for time so maybe it's not practical! Those couple of weeks in Poland might be enough deloading at the end!

I've started it again there on Monday so I'll let you know how I get on the 2nd time around. Did you do 5x5 before? Any good?

Yeah it would have been nice to have that break. This is my first time doing this program and I have to say going from wk 4 into wk 6 is tough. I did day 2 yesterday and I'm feeling pretty rough today. I think I'd do the program again in full after Poland before I consider the 5x5.

colman1212 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I did BLAB for the 12 weeks.
    My experience was that my weight went from about 87kg to about 84 and I got a lot leaner and fitter. Felt really good. My bench and squat went to sh1te though. I really liked the program so I decided I would give it ago again except drop the complexes at the end (apart from the core ones) and basically do my own version of it with 5x5 on the first lift. So for example 5x5 on the bench instead of the percentages and just add a little weight every week. This seems to be going really really well for me although I am doing 5 days training a week at the moment. Anyway I find it hard to see someones bench and squat getting stronger on this program but maybe if you get more food than I got in, it may work.
    The biggest thing I enjoyed was the variety in exercises and for anyone who is a bit stale/demotivated, this is for you.

Hey,

I had fairly different results to yourself when doing this program. My weight went from 172lbs to about 183lbs. However, I wouldn't say I got any leaner I reckon I stayed around the same on the fat %. I was eating a good bit while on the program, about 3500 calories a day, and tried to keep my diet clean enough.

My lifts increased a good bit so I was happy with that. Although I think some of this might be down to correcting form and getting used to the movements.

How are you finding incorporating 5x5 into this? Good gains etc?

I only got up to week 9 before I headed to Poland, my mate that was doing BLAB with me is now onto Day 1 of Week 12. Since I'm back I'm now helping him through the final week and I have a question about this bench press part below.

Am I right in saying you must do the warm up sets first and then go for 1 max reps of 185lbs and see how many you get??

*Bench Press: 185 lbs. for 1 set of max reps. *If you’re going to perform the 185-pound rep test, use this warm-up: Barx10, 95x5, 135x3, 165x2, 195x1,(225x1 if strong enough)

Yeah, you work up to a single at 225lbs then do 185 for max reps

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, you work up to a single at 225lbs then do 185 for max reps

Cheers. Thats what I did, I just wasn't sure when reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shambob12

could someone send me copy please. just trying to get into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭muchacho

shambob12 wrote: »
    could someone send me copy please. just trying to get into shape.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohnv49xlni82uur/badass-ebook.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 shambob12

Muchacho, thanks a million for that. Shambob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I just started this week, wanted to know if anyone has finished this lately and has results?

I had a repetitive routine going for the past year and wanted to change it up and incorporate core work. Im just worried that I'll lose size with this routine... I mean can I expect biceps and shoulders to stay as strong, a typical day prior to this week would be

Day1
    Chest/Biceps
    Day2
    Back/Triceps
    Day3
    Shoulders/Legs

Problem was I was doing too much of the same thing too much,
    my chest/bicep routine would be as follows

Dumbell Flat Press 36kg each hand x 10
    34kg "" x8-10
    30kg "" x8-10
    Dumbell Incline 30kg x8-10
    28kg x8-10
    22kg x max
    Dumbell Incline Flies 18kg x8-10
    16kg x8-10
    14kg x8-10
    Bicep curl, ez curl bar(Not including weight of bar) 25kg x 8-10
    20kg x 8-10
    15kg x 8-10
    " " Close grip 20kg x 8-10
    15kg x 8-10
    10kg x 10-14
    Hammer curls 16kg(Each hand) x 6-10
    14kg x8-10
    12kg x10

I got very bored of doing this kind of routine all the time, isolation exercises, Ive never dont something like this program, can anyone shed any light on the differences I can expect or should I just go back to making up my own routines? My main qualm is that arms arent as defined as I like and I would like to build abs as I never do

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

I am about to finish this program for the second time. I did front squats, bench and weighted pull ups. I really enjoyed it again, especially the variety and the finishers, but I'm in the mood for a change. Has anyone got any good recommendations for a new program?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

I am about to finish this program for the second time. I did front squats, bench and weighted pull ups. I really enjoyed it again, especially the variety and the finishers, but I'm in the mood for a change. Has anyone got any good recommendations for a new program?

Cheers

Hello, first post

Try this for a month - a good workout that will shock your system!
    Stick to the rep range for best results.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-dtp-4-weeks-to-maximum-muscle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have felt like throwing up doing some of the bodyweight complexes on weeks 6,7,8

Can anyone shed any light on this, really feel terrible after doing one or two sets, such a struggle to get through them, those mountain climbers sneak up on you

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Know how you feel, did this program at this time last year and felt the same doing them. They really knock the sh!t out of you.

Have a bit of weight to lose in January and considering adding these in at the end of 531 weight sessions as a bit of extra conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sorry for the resurrection of the zombie thread!

Think I will give this a go over the next few months

Have been doing 5/3/1 for the last few months and fancy something different

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sorry for the resurrection of the zombie thread!

Think I will give this a go over the next few months

Have been doing 5/3/1 for the last few months and fancy something different

How did 5/3/1 go for you? Did you make much progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How did 5/3/1 go for you? Did you make much progress?

I really liked it and will likely go back to it (baby on the way so enjoying freedom for now!) and stuck to big but boring for most of it. From reading it doesn't get much love on this forum!

I have had multiple back issues so rack pulling instead of deadlifting for now so progress was a mix of lowering the rack and increasing weights. But added 10kg to squat and Deadlift and noticed aesthetic improvements. Currently 110 Squat, 42.5kg OHP, 72.5 bench (this didn't improve), 137.5kg DL.

I am not strong :) but my favourite parts were actually the 5x10 Deadlifts and Squats and have noticed some real form improvements from these.

You are doing it yourself aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I really liked it and will likely go back to it (baby on the way so enjoying freedom for now!) and stuck to big but boring for most of it. From reading it doesn't get much love on this forum!

I have had multiple back issues so rack pulling instead of deadlifting for now so progress was a mix of lowering the rack and increasing weights. But added 10kg to squat and Deadlift and noticed aesthetic improvements. Currently 110 Squat, 42.5kg OHP, 72.5 bench (this didn't improve), 137.5kg DL.

I am not strong :) but my favourite parts were actually the 5x10 Deadlifts and Squats and have noticed some real form improvements from these.

You are doing it yourself aren't you?

Ye myself and another lad on here are doing it. We basically have the same numbers except he's doing BBB and I'm doing different assistance excersises. Both of us are making decent progress so far

Advertisement