Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    What aspects of British culture, and what "core values" do these people hate?

Well when talking about football culture in England, it is interesting to see people such as yourself who are staunchly anti-British military (if not britain in general) support teams such as Manchester United and Chelsea when these teams participate in many activities showing their support of British troops, from a minute's silence and a poppy on the shirt during the remembrance period, to "tickets for troops", soldiers paraded after coming back from tour, and servicemen handing over the FA cup, it seems slightly hypocritical to simply turn a blind eye when you want to.

For what its worth, I know some English people (especially of clubs who achieve success) get quite frustrated as expanding foreign fanbases as clubs begin to lose their local identity, but being someone who supports an American sports team as well as an English football club this kind of view is not one I share at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

No
    mikemac wrote: »
    I'd support the English football team if their media toned down the rhetoric and claims of superiority and sure "home of football"
    When they play Germany the papers go into overdrive when their references to Hans and Fritz and subtly mentioning the World Wars

Turns me off tbh

Who can forget the British media prior to the 2010 world cup and how badly the English team performed....:D

Personally i support the English team of the town i was born. I don't really support a EPL club but i have an interest in it. When it comes to Internationals i support Ireland.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=easy+sun+newspaper+world+cup+2010&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&tbnid=hAOrALalVcHNZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/england-thinks-group-c-will-be-easy-theyre-dreaming/7508&docid=hvoBerLGpGOQJM&w=400&h=730&ei=c-FjTtW5I82d-wa1xoGgCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=186&vpy=59&dur=77&hovh=303&hovw=166&tx=81&ty=162&page=1&tbnh=178&tbnw=98&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

No
    Coming from both sides of the fence here. Support Irish and English football, and cricket teams. I think those who write off the League of Ireland don't really get the charm of it to us that go to the games. The football itself is only a part of it; the sense of belonging to people who share the same love for football and pride in their local place is fantastic. Meeting people at the games that are knowledgeable about a wealth of a things far beyond the world of football or sport. It's the close knit community feel of a League of Ireland club that attracts others. Being able to see said people on the street or in the shops and knowing that you're both part of something unique and local, by the same token seeing a player or manager on the road and recognising each other, going for a pint after the game etc etc. (That doesn't happen with other Man Utd/Arsenal fans you see wearing the jersey) The travel is something I enjoy a lot with the League of Ireland (Especially with my team competing in the 'Discover Ireland' First Division) Exploring towns in Ireland that'd I'd never otherwise see and getting to know the highways and byways of our country.

I can understand why people support British teams, some have people they know from said place or inherit it from family members, while most just want to support something fashionable and successful. I'm a third generation Arsenal supporter (I think there's a difference between a fan and a supporter) and it's fascinating to see the skill and pace of the game over there. There's no doubting the standard of football in the English Premier League is amongst the finest in the world and seeing so many superstars of the modern game competing on the same pitches is fantastic for the game of football as a whole. But I feel little or no connection to Arsenal, I get a gentle ribbing when they lose or comments when they win but in reality I don't feel any emotion with them. I find my mood can depend on my League of Ireland team's fortunes that Friday, but if Arsenal lose a big match I'm not really that bothered. (Funnily enough I feel the same way for an Ireland match) I think it's just because I've never been to an Arsenal/Ireland game I don't feel any physical connection to them. Wheras when I'm in the stand and shouting chants at the top of my voice, screaming "Man On!" with a few hundred people or going mad when we score. I think it's important to follow a team in the flesh, and see the stress the fans go through as well as the effort players make (Something that isn't visible on a camera)

As much as LoI fans complain about the Premier League I'm sure most of em secretly love it. Being in a minority not only makes one feel unique, but that chip on the shoulder often serves to bring people together. However much you hate the Rovers/Bohs/chosen rival team sher aren't they better than the barstooling bastards, and that means that LoI fans from rival clubs can often be good friends despite the animosity between their respective clubs.

So yeah, that's my essay. I personally have no problem with people supporting British teams (Not gonna get into the Ireland 'hating' Britain debate) but I think people really need to give the lower leagues (League of Ireland, AIL) some support, go to a few games (even if the first one is a load of rubbish!) and see why people support these teams despite the drop in standard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    py2006 wrote: »
    Ahhh the GAA Brigade!! You can't be following them foreign English sports sure it will effect the potatoes!

:rolleyes:.

And it's 'affect', by the way; ironic given you're trying to portray GAA supporters as backwards and uncouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

No
    Does this mean that we shouldn't look at British comedy? And instead enjoy our home grown comedians: Ryan Tubridy, Rosanne 'centre fold' Davidson, Michael Twee, Twink et al? Was going to mention Gay Byrne and Sinead O Connor but they're beyond a joke :). Surely if we like Fools And Horses we should be allowed to like a particular team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Hulk Hogan

No
    Yes I do, and I don't hold the black and tans against them either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

That M&W clip is brilliant for ridiculing the concept of "we"

What does 'support' mean?

If by that you mean;
    buying replica kit, forking out for a sky sports subscription, travelling to all the matches, tatooing <insert team name> on my chest.........well no

I watch EPL occasionally beause its an entertainment product pure and simple (and a vastly superior one to domestic soccer). I never understand 'fans' bemoaning high wages (which ironically they contribute to) or the general uproar when a player moves club for better pay/more chance of winning. No-one complains when Tom Cruise is paid x million dollars for his latest film.....no different. If i was offered a job with better pay/conditions tomorrow with a chance of putting my name down on research leading to a Nobel prize should I turn it down because I'm abandoning my old workplace/home?

If British athletes are competing in athletics I'll generally cheer for them - assuming our athletes aren't there -I'd like to see Andy murray win the us open this year. I'll watch Usain Bolt in sprinting - not because of any affinity towards Jamaica but because its entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Its the entertainment factor too? People support english soccer teams because they are amongst the best, and easily watched. Irish soccer is not.
    People who give this as a reason don't watch Irish football. Its fantastic entertainment and brilliant value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No
    Yag reuoY wrote: »
    I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

The justification seems to be a close proximity, but this is hardly a valid reason. Look at mainland Europe: do they follow teams from neighbouring countries to such an extent?

Then there are those who point to the Irish players in the British leagues. Sure, this may be true, but this only happens because of the lack of interest in League of Ireland -- how can they compete when all their players are swallowed up?

I wouldn't really care if the same people who adore these teams addressed their bilateral hatred for British culture and core values.

As things currently stand it's more than a little hypocritical.

You've obviously failed to see the sporting angle. British premiership teams are liked throughout the world, why? Many people love sport and the prem is well regarded by many. I've even seen it on the remotest islands in Asia.

Sure there are hypocrits but don't let that spoil your enjoyment of the great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

No
    Nottingham Forest are my team. I'm guessing the OP has the age old chip on his shoulder towards our nearest neighbours. I also am very fond of Napoli in Serie A. I'm guessing he wouldn't have a problem with that because they are not British!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No
    I was a season ticket holder at Aston Villa for five years and would have renewed again this year had it not been for financial problems. Dont see a problem with it

Also a bohemians supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

No
    Yes. I support Liverpool. We ave nothing like it here at home so i don't see the problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Camackaze

sh__93 wrote: »
    Yes. I support Liverpool. We ave nothing like it here at home so i don't see the problem :)

We do though. We have a national league, with real actual teams competing in it. It's possible to support both Liverpool and a domestic side! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I dont know how anyone can support Celtic over an Irish team seeing as Shamrock Rovers are further than them in Europe and proving what I've been saying for years, that the Irish league in terms of fooballing standard is equal to about SPL and championship level.

If even 10% of people who buy jerseys off teams in the leagues I mentioned and went to 1 game a year the Irish league would be so much better. People only have to look past the journalistic bias and general bias of the barstooler.

We'll never have a league as good as England's premier league, but no reason we cannot be roughly level with the Belgian, Norwegian and Danish leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    I've supported Man United since I can remember. My Dad supports them so it's only normal, I suppose. Same with my two little brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

What gets me about the soccer heads is that they buy the jerseys, watch the matches, some of them even get tattoos of the teams....most have never even seen the team in real life....and these are the dopes that shout the loudest in the pub that they hate the brits and are the first to boo the English national team...wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No
    Plenum wrote: »
    What gets me about the soccer heads is that they buy the jerseys, watch the matches, some of them even get tattoos of the teams....most have never even seen the team in real life....and these are the dopes that shout the loudest in the pub that they hate the brits and are the first to boo the English national team...wtf

Most football heads as you call them hate these people too, a lot of them are knobs and know **** all about football, but there are a lot of us that travel over 5 to 15 times a season home and away and have got to know many locals through the years, i know quite a lot of scousers from heading over through the years and i feel part of the group when we travel to games. I'm not be a scouser and never claim to be one but i do feel part of whats going on.

It might be hard for some people to understand but **** it life is too short to care what other people think, i get a kick out of it, have a few beers, have a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    I love watching PBF, he's American, meanwhile Katie Taylor is Irish
    Arsenal, cant say Ive a LoI team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

niallo27 wrote: »
    Most football heads as you call them hate these people too, a lot of them are knobs and know **** all about football, but there are a lot of us that travel over 5 to 15 times a season home and away and have got to know many locals through the years, i know quite a lot of scousers from heading over through the years and i feel part of the group when we travel to games. I'm not be a scouser and never claim to be one but i do feel part of whats going on.

It might be hard for some people to understand but **** it life is too short to care what other people think, i get a kick out of it, have a few beers, have a laugh.

Hard to enjoy it when you have someone who thinks there is something wrong with you if you arent jumping up and down when the "super reds" or "unired" score...and the expression on their face when they ask you "did you see the match at the weekend" and you reply "yep, did you see the point Henry Shefflin scored"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No
    Plenum wrote: »
    Hard to enjoy it when you have someone who thinks there is something wrong with you if you arent jumping up and down when the "super reds" or "unired" score...and the expression on their face when they ask you "did you see the match at the weekend" and you reply "yep, did you see the point Henry Shefflin scored"

99.6 of all utd fans are dicks i will agree with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No
    Andy Murray into the last 16 at the US Open - anyone like to see him win it? Considering he is actually Scottish?

And before anyone goes jingo-mad, bear in mind what the place would be like if there was an Irish player in the last 16, and the BBC report refers to him as both Scottish and Brittish in the same article and he himself prefers to be labeled Scottish...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Andy Murray into the last 16 at the US Open - anyone like to see him win it? Considering he is actually Scottish?

And before anyone goes jingo-mad, bear in mind what the place would be like if there was an Irish player in the last 16, and the BBC report refers to him as both Scottish and Brittish in the same article and he himself prefers to be labeled Scottish...

Much preferred Tim Henman myself, would really have liked to have seen him win Wimbledon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

No
    Alot of people inc myself see supporting a English team as entertainment only, its like watching an American film or eating Chinese food, it doesn't mean you support the county or its politics. Im a United fan and I couldn't care less about Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah but wait when Shamrock Rovers take over europe....you'll all be jumping on the bandwagon:D

(then jumping off if they get trashed in every game)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

No
    Probably said already but not gunna read 11 pages.

To the OP, there is loads of media coverage of the EPL because of sky, and so many games are shown. I suppose because the standard is better than LOI aswell. I follow LOI, but to be honest id prefer watching EPL week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

No
    Seanchai wrote: »
    :rolleyes:.

And it's 'affect', by the way; ironic given you're trying to portray GAA supporters as backwards and uncouth.

My apologies! I hope you slept well last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RebelArmy91

jive wrote: »
    TL;DR
    English teams get more coverage, better coverage, more matches, play against other European teams, can be watched online, better standard of football and it's cheaper.

Shamrock Rovers are in the Europa League.
    Irish football can be watched online.
    Standard of football is good enough to beat Partizan Belgrade, can't be that bad.
    Cheaper? Thats the single most ridiculous comment I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No
    I just started watching the foopball lately, and it's really quite good. I'm 37, and up to this point, foopball was the province of those dudes who drink heavily in the pub while shouting at the screen and then come out and vomit on my shoes.

I started liking Arsenal (an ENGLISH TEAM) because of the way they played. I sat through many Ireland matches from Italia 90 on, which were occasionally exciting, but more often than not just rubbish as foopball matches. You (I say you, but I mean me) can only watch the national squad play to a draw so many times before one gets discouraged and just goes 'this is rubbish, why am I watching this'. And there the matter rested, until I started reading about Arsene Wengers attempts to recapture the form of previous years with a smaller budget. Found it all really interesting. Then I actually watched the Udinese match, and then the demolition of Arsenal by Man U. I was riveted. They may have been rubbish on the pitch, but they were still trying to play well, which is completely different from Ireland's squad in their last outings.

So that's why I watch English foopball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Did anyone else used to get Shoot and Match as a young fella? In the run up to the start of the premiership they always had the Fantasy League, but it was before the internet took off so you had to fill out a form and post it into them. The worst thing was you had to include a self-addressed envelope with English stamps on them to get your confirmation back. Meaning unless you had someone going over to England to bring back stamps for you, you couldn't really enter from Ireland. I must have spent days sitting on the ****ter, Shoot on one knee, A4 pad on the other figuring out how to best spend my £10 million without ever a hope of actually being part of the competition. Great days, but it's just not the same now with the online ones. You had to be writing names down, figuring out your best team on a bang for buck scale and doing the transfer fee prices on paper for it to be special.

(Some bollocks is going to tell me now that they entered with Irish stamps or something and they got into the competition. :/ )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    Im a bit AM fan, even though a lot find him abrasive

Advertisement