Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I think alot of Irish lads that support man united and liverpool etc just got into it to fit in with their peers and join in with the banter to be fair, it's plastered all over the sports media so hard not to take at least a passing interest IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Atari Jaguar!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Guinny

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    jive wrote: »
    With regards to paragraph one then our opinions differ with regard to supporting a team. You don't have to go to matches to support a team. You can support a team financially, if you so choose, by buying their merchandise. Teams also get money for televised matches and thus by paying to view the games I am supporting them financially along with other clubs.

Going to matches isn't exactly viable if you support a foreign team. Like I've already said, the quality of the football is much poorer over here. I don't get any enjoyment out of that standard of football. Many Irish games are held mid week so even then it wouldn't be viable for me to watch my local team as they rarely play at the weekend. Not that it matters because I have no interest in watching that standard of football as I have said already. I'm sure I'm not alone with that opinion.

With regards to the figures you've quoted I can already tell you that you are way off. Are you incorporating travel expenses to your €140 season ticket? No, you're not. So why are you including both travel expenses and accommodation in the one premiership match ticket? My friends often go to games in England and the price typically ranges from ~€90-200 depending on the match/venue. I'm not saying that it's cheaper to go to the games though am I?

How many LOI matches are televised for a full 90 minutes? Or first division games? Very few. The likes of United/Arsenal/Liverpool/City/Chelsea are on every weekend on sky. That is my point. If I wanted to watch Monaghan play how could I without going to the match? I couldn't. So in that respect, yes it is cheaper to support the English teams.

League of Ireland clubs rarely compete in Europe. They compete in the qualifiers with the minnows of Europe without making it to the tournament proper. Unless you're lucky enough to be a Shamrock Rovers fan then yet again everyone else in the country has missed out. This year was the first year an Irish club actually got into Europe and even so it's just the Europa League. A great achievement for an Irish club but we all know they are merely a filler team for that competition and won't make a dent on the group that they've been put in as much as I'd like them to do well.

I have little or no interest in going to Irish football matches solely due to the standard of football. I've been to a few but I've no intention on returning. I gave it a fair go and can't say I miss it all that much since I've stopped going (for now it would be impossible for me to go due to my schedule clashing with most kick offs). I'm not doubting that the atmosphere may be great in some stadiums around the country and I'm not doubting the passion. But for me, and many others, it isn't worth travelling to and paying to see. Many people go and many people love it but they are a minority in comparison to those who watch English teams every weekend.

I understand a lot of what you said apart from the inaccurate ticket prices you've stated. I understand where you're coming from but as someone who doesn't enjoy Irish football we'll have to agree a difference of opinion.

PS. I already mentioned the fact that it was a summer league because I knew someone would pick up on me saying Irish winter. That was more of a stab at Irish weather. The difference between England and here is that English stadiums are all stands, you can't say the same for here unfortunately.

Firstly thanks for the reply but our opinions differ vastly. I have to say it bugs me that people just continue to demiss the League of Ireland and use any excuse to why they don’t support Irish teams.

Okay you can actively support your team by not going to matches by buying merchandise and so on. But the best way to show your support is actually go to a match. Football is a spectator sport and if all fans decided to just watch the match on TV then it would a very boring game. The point you made about not being able to attend matches because you support a foreign team is what this whole debate is about. You see that’s the point if you support a local club then it’s actually possible to go to matches.

The point that some Irish matches are on mid-week is invalid. The English clubs would have at least the same or if not more week day fixtures. There is two months left in the current season and Dundalk has only one more weekday fixture. The league could have more coverage aswell, but last Saturday had two matches on TV – Sligo vs. Derry and the Dundalk vs. Shamrock Rovers matches. To be honest it doesn’t bother me because I will be supporting my team at the match. I actually think if more matches where showing them due to the Irish barstooling mentality less people would attend the games.

Personally I have no problems with the standard of football. A lot of the Premier division teams like Derry, Sligo and Dundalk play a good brand of football. Okay some play hoofball but you get this in the Premier League aswell (e.g. Stoke, Blackburn, and Bolton). Admittedly the standard is never going to be the same, but it’s still enjoyable and without doubt attending games is more fun than watching it via a TV screen or by internet streams. If it’s all about the standard why don’t we all support Barcelona and we may aswell stop supporting the national team because the current standard is excruciating to watch. Spain our currently world champions so we should all support them instead. Okay maybe we aren’t the most successful in Europe, but only a fraction of teams compete in Europe. Getting into Europe is only for the elite teams in each league and by the knock stages it mainly consists of teams from the big leagues. Believe or believe not, clubs who do not make into the latter stages of Europe still have fans – Championship clubs in England never compete, Danish, Swedish leagues (list goes on). Liverpool and Celtic are not in Europe this year, so will all their Irish fans stop supporting them?

The price of €884.64 I quoted is from an article in the Irish Times and I can’t see them being to far wrong- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2011/0903/1224303401548.html . A quick Google search will show other articles with similar prices. I’m sure many get if for cheaper, but there is still a cost and I can’t see how anyone could get it at under €3-400. The figures below are guesses but I’d imagine they are not to far off what it would cost to attend a Premier league home match.

-Transport to/from airport; flight; to/from Stadium etc ...200 euro
    -1 night's accommodation ...100euro
    -Match ticket???... 50 euro
    -Programme?? … €4
    -Beer/food/hookers 150 euro?

.....So I'm guessing around €500.

Now here’s my cost in going to a home LOI match:

-Transport – €0
    -Accommodation - €0
    -Match Ticket – season ticket for year €140 - €7.78 per match.
    -Match programme - €3
    -Beer/food … €5
    -Supporting your local team … priceless :)

....€15.78. Most of the time I wouldn’t have a drink or something to eat during the game. I’m lucky enough to live around the corner from Oriel Park, but transport to a home match shouldn’t be much of a cost to many of the fans as in most cases its your local team and in all cases its going to be minimal compared to getting to England to support your team.

Whatever way you look at it, to attend a match (i.e. supporting your team) is going to be a lot cheaper if you support a League of Ireland team. In my opinion the majority of the Irish football fans (the barstooler) has forgotten what it actually means to ‘support’ their favourite team in the true sense of the meaning. We have a reputation of being a nation of great football fans especially when the World Cup comes around, but in my opinion this is false. The true fact is most Irish football fans jump on the bandwagon. When a team is doing well we all become passionate diehard supporters, when a team is struggling we drop out like flies. As many mentioned on this forum, why is it that Irish fans support the more successful English clubs the Man Utds, the Liverpool’s, and more recently the Chelsea’s and Man Cities, and not so long ago Leeds. This is no coincidence. For the most part its easy to support these teams, they compete for titles, they spend big, and more importantly you can do it in the comfort of your home or local pub. But any sheep could support these teams.

Even though as a Dundalk fan I have no choice but to hate our Louth neighbours Drogheda or Dublin teams like Shamrock Rovers or Bohs, I still have more respect for them than any barstooler in terms of being a football fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

People have been supporting British sides for 50 years in some cases and their children follow etc. Why do some people think that will change now?
    It's really tiresome hearing LOI fans continue these bashing of foreign football fans.

Also I've never understood: if there is no team in your town or county, who are we meant to support?

Sure half the country doesnt even have a team in the Irish league, its mostly Dublin sides. Sure I would support a local team if I had one, I support my local GAA club and county and they are ****e, so why not the local football team? If there was one.

Although I do agree the country is filled with lots of gloryhunters. Every man and his dog supports Man United. Leeds United used to have a massive fan base here, probably top 5 in the country, which has basically disappeared. It's a bit sad, but I know lots of "Leeds fans", who just deserted the club when they were relegated, I would hesitate to call them fans in the first place. I'm sure proper Leeds fans wouldnt have much good to see about these "supporters" who just desert the club and would probably come running back when they get promoted.

well to be fair if you are talking about loi there is a team in nearlly every county in the country, starting with dublin, the wicklow, wexford, waterford, cork, limerick, galway, sligo, donegal, derry, monaghan, longford, westmeath/roscommon(athlone town, with one half of the town being in westmeath, the other half being in roscommon), louth? am i missing any?!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

No
    I support Man City. I also support the Irish rugby team (which is a British sport) the British teams and tournaments (mainly the premier league) have more of an influence than our airtricity league will ever have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Guinny

flas wrote: »
    well to be fair if you are talking about loi there is a team in nearlly every county in the country, starting with dublin, the wicklow, wexford, waterford, cork, limerick, galway, sligo, donegal, derry, monaghan, longford, westmeath/roscommon(athlone town, with one half of the town being in westmeath, the other half being in roscommon), louth? am i missing any?!

Tralee Dynamos and FC Carlow :) There is a some counties without major teams, most have something. But the main reason would but these counties are big GAA counties (Mayo, Kilkenny & Tipp) or largely rural areas which in most areas don't have large football teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Guinny wrote: »
    Tralee Dynamos and FC Carlow :) There is a some counties without major teams, most have something. But the main reason would but these counties are big GAA counties (Mayo, Kilkenny & Tipp) or largely rural areas which in most areas don't have large football teams.

ha, with the A league on the way out i didnt know whether to include them or not, are castlebar celtic still in that? think they bowed out few years ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No
    My late uncle was a huge Liverpool fan and used to tell me about all their great players from years gone by when I was a youngster,so I'll watch them if they're on the telly or if there's a story about them in the paper.

Don't have any of their jerseys or anything like that though and I don't refer to their rivals as scum or stuff like that,a few of my mates are Manchester Utd fans and when they play Manchester City they say things like 'We're going to put one over on the scum etc..' which sounds a bit odd coming from a lad from Dublin who's never been to Manchester in his life.Each to their own though I suppose.

Sadly lots of them around Ireland.

I've been lucky my family had connections with the Prem league. I grew up and played along with guys who being much better footballers than me went on to play LOI or go directly all the way to become Prem stars at various clubs. I meet these players now then at Irls internationals. We enjoy our pints and chats about Irl but also about the Prem.

There are many others like me who have more reasons than some to be interested/supporting British sports teams.

Anyone into sports will always enjoy watching the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Guinny wrote: »
    The point that some Irish matches are on mid-week is invalid. The English clubs would have at least the same or if not more week day fixtures. There is two months left in the current season and Dundalk has only one more weekday fixture.

If it’s all about the standard why don’t we all support Barcelona and we may aswell stop supporting the national team because the current standard is excruciating to watch.

Believe or believe not, clubs who do not make into the latter stages of Europe still have fans – Championship clubs in England never compete, Danish, Swedish leagues (list goes on). Liverpool and Celtic are not in Europe this year, so will all their Irish fans stop supporting them?

The price of €884.64 I quoted is from an article in the Irish Times and I can’t see them being to far wrong- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2011/0903/1224303401548.html . A quick Google search will show other articles with similar prices. I’m sure many get if for cheaper, but there is still a cost and I can’t see how anyone could get it at under €3-400. The figures below are guesses but I’d imagine they are not to far off what it would cost to attend a Premier league home match.

-Transport to/from airport; flight; to/from Stadium etc ...200 euro
    -1 night's accommodation ...100euro
    -Match ticket???... 50 euro
    -Programme?? … €4
    -Beer/food/hookers 150 euro?

.....So I'm guessing around €500.

Now here’s my cost in going to a home LOI match:

-Transport – €0
    -Accommodation - €0
    -Match Ticket – season ticket for year €140 - €7.78 per match.
    -Match programme - €3
    -Beer/food … €5
    -Supporting your local team … priceless :)

....€15.78. Most of the time I wouldn’t have a drink or something to eat during the game. I’m lucky enough to live around the corner from Oriel Park, but transport to a home match shouldn’t be much of a cost to many of the fans as in most cases its your local team and in all cases its going to be minimal compared to getting to England to support your team.

Whatever way you look at it, to attend a match (i.e. supporting your team) is going to be a lot cheaper if you support a League of Ireland team.

There are a lot of mid week games in the Irish league. Most of them are played on Friday afaik. Most English league games are Sat/Sun and usually one on Monday night.

It's not about supporting a team of Barcelona's standard. It's about a certain standard actually being enjoyable and another standard not being enjoyable. I get much more enjoyment out of watching the top clubs play as it is a much higher standard, much quicker and more skillful. That's just how I enjoy my football. You don't want to know my opinion on Ireland's national team parking the bus recently cause I'll be here all day :P

Birmingham are a championship team competing in Europe :P The championship is also a much higher standard than the LOI though. All clubs have supporters otherwise they wouldn't exist. What LOI fans fail to realise is that not everyone has a local club to the extent that Dublin have. You are an exception to the rule in that you live next to Oriel park. It would cost me to travel to a game. Europe is just a factor in why many Irish fans support these teams.

That Irish Times article is very inaccurate. You can go on a day trip (i.e. cutting out the cost of accomodation) for easily between €100-200.

Again your definition of supporting a team is different to mine. I'm not arguing the fact that it's cheaper to go to LOI games than premiership games or other foreign games. Obviously it's cheaper to go to LOI games.

Many Ireland fans chop and change the teams they support as you've already said with regards to Leeds. There are many glory supporters but there are lots of reasons for supporting successful clubs. With success comes more coverage, european competition etc. etc. Leeds don't have that anymore so even if they're fans wanted to watch them they would find it difficult, they might be shown once a month on sky sports tops these days. Anyway I respect your opinion but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

There's a lot about support and fan worship I'll never understand.

Most people would chuckle at nerds arguing over whether Star Trek Voyager is better than Next Generation (lol nerds - they're both crap;)) yet feel its completely normal for grown men to spew vitriol at one another because their favourite groups of 11 millionaires wear a different coloured shirt at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    There's a lot about support and fan worship I'll never understand.

Most people would chuckle at nerds arguing over whether Star Trek Voyager is better than Next Generation (lol nerds - they're both crap;)) yet feel its completely normal for grown men to spew vitriol at one another because their favourite groups of 11 millionaires wear a different coloured shirt at the weekend.

Football support (other than the cringeworthy Unireh vs 'Pool dublin derby ****e) is a tribal thing. When the barstool fans here ape real football supporters from elsewhere it makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

No
    Yag reuoY wrote: »
    I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

I have an interest in English football. I am also interested in German football as well as Spanish. In fact I will watch more German football than English. What does that make me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I have an interest in English football. I am also interested in German football as well as Spanish. In fact I will watch more German football than English. What does that make me?

History's greatest monster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

No
    Snakeblood wrote: »
    History's greatest monster?
    I will take that as a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'm Irish, but I follow England in the football. I like when Ireland do well, but, by and large, they play very boring football and most of their players are sub standard compared to England. England have quality players like Rooney and Ferdinand, while you get plenty of good, attacking football with them. Ireland can't really compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

No
    Look at mainland Europe: do they follow teams from neighbouring countries to such an extent?

yes, the ones with poor leagues do

however they also support their home leagues a fair bit more than the irish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No
    I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

Because the Irish teams are ****.

Nah I'm kidding.

NOT RELE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I'm Irish, but I follow England in the football. I like when Ireland do well, but, by and large, they play very boring football and most of their players are sub standard compared to England. England have quality players like Rooney and Ferdinand, while you get plenty of good, attacking football with them. Ireland can't really compete.

Oh dear :eek:

Well embarrassed for yaa !! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

No

Is it not obvious he's taking the piss, using the normal Irish excuse for supporting an English club team over their local LOI one. Especially with the CCFC in his name.

Have an interest in English football myself and follow a team but I don't actively support them, cause I rarely get to games like 99% of people in this country that claim to support one of them. Always put my local LOI team first as nothing beats being actually at a game instead of watching it on telly. Atmosphere makes up for the poorer standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

woosh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

If they have a beach volleyball team, I'd be interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Davidth88 wrote: »
    It's me being petty and not wanting to actually mention certain teams by name

Remove the re at the end

No , you don't HAVE to hate certain teams, however if you follow/support a team for long enough and go to a lot of the games then you naturally start to dislike certain other teams , this may be geographic in nature , ie . The two teams in Manchester hate one another , or historic , the two teams in North London where one got relegated because of alleged cheating/bribery by the other , or based on total bigotry , for example the two largest teams in Glasgow .

Your obviously a genuine football fan & i agreed with your first point on here,,but i have to point out to you that your own club Chelsea dont have a great record either when it comes to bigotry..in fact arent some of your fans in some sort of a pact with Linfield & Rangers known as the "blues brothers" who revel in there staunch loyalist & white supremacy views??

Its something that makes me chuckle when i see an Irish guy walking about in Chelsea gear.... what would happen if he went to say a pub near Stamford Bridge & ran into some of the element of Combat 18 knuckle heads that attach themselves to your club signing there UVF songs??

Its as you say people from over here support clubs without knowing the actual history & culture behind them & thats the annoying thing.

Maybe if Sky Sports coverd the LOI & americanized that up with its glitz & bull**** then you may see more Irishmen turn away from English City clubs to there own countrys team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

No
    i support leeds myself even though i've never been to one of their games, only when they've played pre season friendlies in ireland. the reason i don't support LOI teams is that imo the league is of a poor standard similar to the spl for example and the fact that there are no loi teams where i'm from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

i support leeds myself even though i've never been to one of their games, only when they've played pre season friendlies in ireland. the reason i don't support LOI teams is that imo the league is of a poor standard similar to the spl for example and the fact that there are no loi teams where i'm from
    Despite the recent poor showings in Europe for scottish clubs id say its laughable to compare the SPL to LOI.. has a LOI team ever won the European Cup or any european trophies as 3 scottish teams have.

On your second point you say you dont support a LOI team because theres none locally..so you support an English team that are so far away you have never made it to a home game?? :rolleyes:

When you see all the money poured into English football teams from here through going to games and merchandise ..if that money was paid into your local teams instead then we might have a league over here we can be proud off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No
    oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Despite the recent poor showings in Europe for scottish clubs id say its laughable to compare the SPL to LOI.. has a LOI team ever won the European Cup or any european trophies as 3 scottish teams have.

On your second point you say you dont support a LOI team because theres none locally..so you support an English team that are so far away you have never made it to a home game?? :rolleyes:

When you see all the money poured into English football teams from here through going to games and merchandise ..if that money was paid into your local teams instead then we might have a league over here we can be proud off.

Don't you think its a bit off for you to be criticising him for supporting Leeds and not an Irish when you have a reference to a scottish club in your name?

Besides, I'm sure that the point he was making was that if you have no truly local LoI club then it is far easier to follow an English club with sky sports and so on than it is an Irish club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

No
    charlemont wrote: »
    No, I'm not British.

presumably you don't watch American tv shows/films because you're not american?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

No

On your second point you say you dont support a LOI team because theres none locally..so you support an English team that are so far away you have never made it to a home game?? rolleyes.gif

When you see all the money poured into English football teams from here through going to games and merchandise ..if that money was paid into your local teams instead then we might have a league over here we can be proud off.-

regarding the SPL teams both celtic and rangers failed in their attempts to qualify for the europa lge (celtic may get a reprieve)
    the other teams in the SPL , i.e. hearts and dundee utd failed to make any impression in the europa league. my point being is that the LOI is certainly improving, shamrock rovers qualifying for the europa shows this so if you take out the old firm (regardless of what celtic and rangers have achieved in the past, rangers winning a uefa in 71 and celtic the european cup in 68) then the rest of the SPL is very very mediocre really and the likes of shamrock rovers, derry , sligo would more than compete with dundee utd, hearts, kilmarnock , motherwell etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

No
    Your obviously a genuine football fan & i agreed with your first point on here,,but i have to point out to you that your own club Chelsea dont have a great record either when it comes to bigotry..in fact arent some of your fans in some sort of a pact with Linfield & Rangers known as the "blues brothers" who revel in there staunch loyalist & white supremacy views??

Its something that makes me chuckle when i see an Irish guy walking about in Chelsea gear.... what would happen if he went to say a pub near Stamford Bridge & ran into some of the element of Combat 18 knuckle heads that attach themselves to your club signing there UVF songs??

It's well OT... yes indeed there was the ' Blues Brothers ' , I clearly remember being at Everton V Chelsea years ago , the Rangers game had been canx because of the weather and loads of Rangers fans turned up.

It turned pretty ugly with chants of f the pope and the IRA going off everywhere , I snuck out of a side entrance after the game as the Liverpool police tried to contain the situation with their batons. Not nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Killinator

No

Its as you say people from over here support clubs without knowing the actual history & culture behind them & thats the annoying thing.

Most if not all clubs have some sort of shady/bad/racist following,
    If you were to cut every team that had some sort of bad element/history from your potential supported club then I'm sure you'd take out more than a few teams, and I'm sure a couple of them would be Irish,
    Or are LoI teams and supporters above bad behavior.

Perhaps they are just the typical scumbags who will align themselves with anything as a chance to cause trouble(see London riots as an example, 90% of people couldn't have given a f**k about a black guy being shot in Tottenham)

I was over at Stamford bridge after a game, went into a Chelsea bar, and didn't have people chanting UVF chants and beating me up, does that mean I am not a real supporter or that the other English people in the pub weren't real fans.

As may be interpreted from my post, I am a Chelsea fan, I paid my club membership( except I can't afford it this year), and I do see it as 'we' as opposed to 'them', I have been supporting them since I was......well I can't remember when exactly, 6-7 years old(25 now), my Dad is a staunch supporter and blue is my favorite colour, so I guess it was bound to happen,
    People do throw the bandwagon thing at me but that gets ignored as I been dealing with it for years now, i doesn't really effect me.

Why I don't support a local team, well to be quite honest I was never interested in any local team, they don't get the exposure but I do like to see an Irish team do well, that said if Shamrock Rovers or Limerick 37 ever came up against Chelsea, I'd still be siding for Chelsea.
    I also have as much opportunity to see a LoI team play as I do to see Chelsea play, which is very very little.

TL;DR.....
    If you didn't read then I'm not explaining:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

No
    regarding the SPL teams both celtic and rangers failed in their attempts to qualify for the europa lge (celtic may get a reprieve)
    the other teams in the SPL , i.e. hearts and dundee utd failed to make any impression in the europa league. my point being is that the LOI is certainly improving, shamrock rovers qualifying for the europa shows this so if you take out the old firm (regardless of what celtic and rangers have achieved in the past, rangers winning a uefa in 71 and celtic the european cup in 68) then the rest of the SPL is very very mediocre really and the likes of shamrock rovers, derry , sligo would more than compete with dundee utd, hearts, kilmarnock , motherwell etc.

What do you base this one? The stadia in the LOI are generally deplorable. The worse stadium in the SPL is probably better than anything in Ireland. The SPL is a full time professional league. Not even Rovers are full time professionals. The differerence being the Scottish people support their own and good on them.

I support Celtic, I absolutely love the club especially the history and story of how it came into being. The club represents the Irish diaspora in Scotland, and before anyone starts I'm not saying Celtic is Irish. But it has an Irish, as well as Scottish, identity.

I also support Shelbourne and find it disgusting that so many Irish people ignore their own league and just write it off as crap. The players and facilities would be a whole lot better if Irish people get off their backsides on a Friday evening and paid €15 through the turnstile at the club closest to them. We would have a much better league than the SPL if they did because you wouldn't have two clubs with a monopoly on fans and it would be much more spread out. But people would rather moan about the league and exclusively support EPL teams - it's sad really.

Advertisement