Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

No
    Question though, and be honest - did you only begin supporting them when the money came rolling in or have you always been a fan of theirs?

I support them cos my dad started to follow them when he moved at the age of 16 to work on the railways in Manchester... That was in 1956 and he has been a supporter of them since.
    My 11 year old daughter is now a supporter because of me and her grandad:)

EDIT: there was a very interesting thread in the soccer Forum some time ago about how and why posters follow the teams they do......
    On my phone now so cannot link to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

No
    I support them cos my dad started to follow them when he moved at the age of 16 to work on the railways in Manchester... That was in 1956 and he has been a supporter of them since.
    My 11 year old daughter is now a supporter because of me and her grandad:)

Why not just support Galway United instead? :confused:

Its location is far more convenient.

No
    Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Why not just support Galway United instead? :confused:

Its location is far more convenient.

Not being funny with you or anything love but we've debated this topic to death in the Soccer Forum!!!
    Now, looking at the number of posts you have I'm very aware that you wouldn't know of this..... Do a thread search in the soccer forum and you shall be enlightened!!!:)

So forgive me for seeming a little bit non-arsed about the thread:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

No
    My specific concern is Irish people who support British teams, and those who don't.

Anything else is immaterial.

And this should be immaterial to an angry jock
    I take exception with this. It's a common ploy I see many Irish people use, the old "I love England really but".

Why exactly do you hate England's involvment here? Do you hate the infrastructure? The culture of knowledge and innovation? The language?
    The literature? etc. etc. etc. etc.

To say Ireland gained nothing from Britain's presence here is utterly fallacious and more than a little ignorant.

Coming from you (and taking your earlier posts into consideration) that's choice. Would you care to elucidate on where you think your "green and pleasant land" is heading for in the next 20 years.
    It should be obvious to anyone what I implied.

Do you really think I meant 99% of the entire population? Including OAPs, bairns and teenage girls? :rolleyes: Come on!

Give the Irish a rest -- it's damaging your capacity to read English properly.

Maybe to read english the way you spell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

No
    Not being funny with you or anything love but we've debated this topic to death in the Soccer Forum!!!
    Now, looking at the number of posts you have I'm very aware that you wouldn't know of this..... Do a thread search in the soccer forum and you shall be enlightened!!!:)

So forgive me for seeming a little bit non-arsed about the thread:)

At least if you support Galway you could then be classified as a genuine supporter. As it stands you're nothing but a wannabe plastic paddy mancunian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

No
    No...

No
    At least if you support Galway you could then be classified as a genuine supporter. As it stands you're nothing but a wannabe plastic paddy mancunian.

Awwww, shucks!!! Aren't you a charm??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No
    This thread seems to be going from "sports" to football, so maybe the title should be changed.

In my opinion, the casual football fans may support English clubs because at the end of the day it is the easy option, switch on Sky Sports any time of day and chances are you will see some kind of news regarding it, they show over 100 games a season, brilliantly made highlights show every saturday and sunday night on BBC, coverage all over the back pages of the newspapers. It is easy to support an English team, so therefore I can see why people do. Myself, I follow Liverpool - main reasons being it is entertaining, something that a lot of people in my social circles would be interested in and is great for conversation. However I would 100% support any League of Ireland team ahead of Liverpool, I was a major Kildare County fan before their demise and still would be a huge supporter of the LoI, admittedly it isn't as high a standard but the buzz and the feeling you get off supporting your local team, a team you can call your own team is unbeatable.

I have no problem with people who follow English football, or any other country for that matter, but I think if people claim to be a serious football fan they should support every form of it - not just you're Man Utds and Chelseas because they are the best teams.

Also, anyone who says the league of ireland is amatuer standard clearly has no clue whatsoever what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

No, they don't represent me. Munster do in rugby, Limerick do in GAA and Ireland do in football. The players are, for the most part, local enough to me and even when they're not (I'm thinking in rugby terms mostly) they aren't just there for the money but they buy into the community/team/mindset/work ethic.

I don't have much of an interest in football though so I find it quite odd that people can be so fanatical about a team of Europeans, Africans and the occasional Asian millionaires, managed by some European, owned by investment institutions, oil rich sheiks and Russian oligarchs, who represent people who live in a city in another country.

Perhaps a better question might be: If you support an English/British or Spanish football team and have attended their games, do you follow and attend your local football team? If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

No
    Ahhh the GAA Brigade!! You can't be following them foreign English sports sure it will effect the potatoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No
    Cossax wrote: »
    No, they don't represent me. Munster do in rugby, Limerick do in GAA and Ireland do in football. The players are, for the most part, local enough to me and even when they're not (I'm thinking in rugby terms mostly) they aren't just there for the money but they buy into the community/team/mindset/work ethic.

I don't have much of an interest in football though so I find it quite odd that people can be so fanatical about a team of Europeans, Africans and the occasional Asian millionaires, managed by some European, owned by investment institutions, oil rich sheiks and Russian oligarchs, who represent people who live in a city in another country.

Perhaps a better question might be: If you support an English/British or Spanish football team and have attended their games, do you follow and attend your local football team? If not, why not?

Therein lieth the problem: when I lived in Ireland, there were no local teams in sports that I actually liked.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No
    Too Right!!

The Arsenal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arsenal and Proud!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    My grandfather's mate worked in a post office in cornwall in 1953 and as English post boxes are red, I have been a United supporter since 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I am proud to call myself a Renford rejects fan :cool:

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    its not just ireland, go to singapore on a saturday night and watch all those locals watching and supporting english football, also in norway there has always been a great love of english football.
    so i'm not sure what you're on about

haha love the way people mention these Asian countries.

Do people forget Irish teams are in DIRECT competition with English teams through our shared European competitions?.

I don't have any problem with any LOI supporters who follow English clubs, once their money is going into LOI teams they can't do any more so follow away after that.

But I do hate these saps that fill the pubs during the WC to cheer against England and 90% follow either Man Utd or Liverpool..... failing to see the irony of it all.

Also love how you hear these glory hunters try to justify supporting the top teams using the ''irish connection'' or some other garbage, not admitting the main reason was said club were champions at that point :rolleyes:
    It's just all a coincidence that 90% support the two most successful clubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

haha love the way people mention these Asian countries.

Do people forget Irish teams are in DIRECT competition with English teams through our shared European competitions?.

I don't have any problem with any LOI supporters who follow English clubs, once their money is going into LOI teams they can't do any more so follow away after that.

But I do hate these saps that fill the pubs during the WC to cheer against England and 90% follow either Man Utd or Liverpool..... failing to see the irony of it all.

Also love how you hear these glory hunters try to justify supporting the top teams using the ''irish connection'' or some other garbage, not admitting the main reason was said club were champions at that point :rolleyes:
    It's just all a coincidence that 90% support the two most successful clubs :D

Is it not true that supporting a city or county team is different as there are many players on them teams who are not english,just asking here.

No
    realies wrote: »
    Is it not true that supporting a city or county team is different as there are many players on them teams who are not english,just asking here.

Wasn't always that case ;)

Also the sight of a club supporter abusing one of their own players just because he has an England top on is one of the strangest things I have ever seen, that was a good few years ago though, and things are much better now. By the way just because a team may have non English players playing doesn't make a difference, they are still an English club.

Anyway International football is pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Veles wrote: »
    Oh!what a splendid,original thread the likes of which i have never ever layed eyes on before!

How is your team these days?
    Liverpool, right?

Oh no it's worse than that.

I support Man Utd, have done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

No
    The reason I support a British team is because I get enjoyment and entertainment out of it, when im having trouble sleeping ill watch league of Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

No
    London Irish is about the only team I actively support, but I watch pretty much all of them when the opportunity arises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I support an English team (I refuse to use the word British, it's a made-up concept), I also support an Irish team, a Spanish team and a Czech team.

Away from sport, I don't have a problem with the people of the UK, just the Government there which continues to occupy part of my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Caveman1 wrote: »
    The reason I support a British team is because I get enjoyment and entertainment out of it, when im having trouble sleeping ill watch league of Ireland :D
    Obviously didn't see the amount of goals scored in the league of ireland over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

I don't support or any British teams. I am not in the slightest bit anti British but I cannot understand how somebody can excited about a team who represents a city that they have absolutely no connection to.

I'm from Dublin so I support Leinster. They represent where I come from. I was so proud that a team representing my home province won the Heineken Cup. I have a soft spot for Brive in France as my wife is from there and I used to live there but that's about it and at least I have a connection to the place where the team represents.

I can never understand an Irish person speaking about 'we' when referring to their adopted team. 'We won the league'. No,'you' won nothing. Some team representing a place to which you have no connection won the league.

I love asking these people to name a street in Liverpool or Manchester or wherever they support. The blank look on their faces is always priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No
    Teams I support: Leinster, Leeds Utd, Real Madrid, Genoa, Stade Toulousain, San Francisco Giants, Boston Red Sox, Seattle Seahawks, BC Lions, Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Whitecaps, RCD Espanyol, DHL Stormers.

Only one of those teams is Irish based.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mod:

Yag reuoY Banned.

Being a dick.

No
    I don't support or any British teams. I am not in the slightest bit anti British but I cannot understand how somebody can excited about a team who represents a city that they have absolutely no connection to.

I'm from Dublin so I support Leinster. They represent where I come from. I was so proud that a team representing my home province won the Heineken Cup.

I can never understand an Irish person speaking about 'we' when referring to their adopted team. 'We won the league'. No,'you' won nothing. Some team representing a place to which you have no connection won the league.

I love asking these people to name a street in Liverpool or Manchester or wherever they support. The blank look on their faces is always priceless.

Arsenal supporter, have spent enough time in London to have a connection with the place.

Just because you are born in a given place, does not mean you can't have a strong bond/ connection with another city, just look at the Irish soccer team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

No interest at all in supporting British teams, not because I harbour any ill will towards Britain or the British, I just have no interest. Then again I have no real interest in soccer which seems to be the only sport it happens in, I have yet to see an Irish person getting excited when Wigan plays St Helens in rugby league or Northants play Yorkshire in cricket.
    Weirdly enough I was once insulted in a pub for cheering on the Irish cricket team in the world cup. I was asked why the f*** I was watching that shower of half English c***s by a lad wearing a Manchester United top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mikeyboy wrote: »
    No interest at all in supporting British teams, not because I harbour any ill will towards Britain or the British, I just have no interest. Then again I have no real interest in soccer which seems to be the only sport it happens in, I have yet to see an Irish person getting excited when Wigan plays St Helens in rugby league or Northants play Yorkshire in cricket.
    Weirdly enough I was once insulted in a pub for cheering on the Irish cricket team in the world cup. I was asked why the f*** I was watching that shower of half English c***s by a lad wearing a Manchester United top.

You have to laugh at that.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Brilliant Mitchell & Webb sketch about the "we" syndrome here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

mikeyboy wrote: »
    Brilliant Mitchell & Webb sketch about the "we" syndrome here :D

Brilliant. Thanks.

Advertisement