Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac wrote: »
    I'd support the English football team if their media toned down the rhetoric and claims of superiority and sure "home of football"
    When they play Germany the papers go into overdrive when their references to Hans and Fritz and subtly mentioning the World Wars

Turns me off tbh

Spot on there, it's the sickening, jingoistic bullshít spewed by the English media that turns a lot of people away from supporting the England team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    jive wrote: »

Why is that unbelievable? I don't ever watch my local team, rain or shine. I don't find that quality of football entertaining.

So you are driven into the arms of the technically adroit English premier league as a result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Is it not the case that 99% of the Irish support the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and, when the cash came pouring in, Chelsea.

Is this supposed to be another one of your retarded troll posts? If the tiny minority of Ireland's population of 6 million people who follow British soccer teams constitute "99% of the Irish" population then you've got to be taking the piss.

British soccer is firmly a minority interest in Ireland. No serious person would contend otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

No
    Spot on there, it's the sickening, jingoistic bullshít spewed by the English media that turns a lot of people away from supporting the England team.

If they hate this media so much why do they continue to support its existence? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

The justification seems to be a close proximity, but this is hardly a valid reason. Look at mainland Europe: do they follow teams from neighbouring countries to such an extent?

Then there are those who point to the Irish players in the British leagues. Sure, this may be true, but this only happens because of the lack of interest in League of Ireland -- how can they compete when all their players are swallowed up?

I wouldn't really care if the same people who adore these teams addressed their bilateral hatred for British culture and core values.

As things currently stand it's more than a little hypocritical.

The English Premiership is hugely popular across the continent, not just here. Most European football supporters, in my experience, have an English team as their second team.

The reason British sports are popular here is because they're generally played to a much higher standard, football being the perfect example.

• Advertisement

No
    Seanchai wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be another one of your retarded troll posts? If the tiny minority of Ireland's population of 6 million people who follow British soccer teams constitute "99% of the Irish" population then you've got to be taking the piss.

British soccer is firmly a minority interest in Ireland. No serious person would contend otherwise.

It should be obvious to anyone I meant 99% of Irish people who support British teams.

What's the Irish word for Fail? Fáil, no doubt. :rolleyes:

No
    The English Premiership is hugely popular across the continent, not just here. Most European football supporters, in my experience, have an English team as their second team.

The reason British sports are popular here is because they're generally played to a much higher standard, football being the perfect example.

If you would just take 2 seconds of your time to read my posts you will see I'm targeting the schizophrenic anti Britain yet pro British football brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

The thing that made me laugh was when the queen visited. There were protesters with banners stating "Queenie Out" whilst wearing their Man Utd jerseys!!!!

I see your point, however can't the same person sympathise with the concept of English Republicanism and just be an anti-monarchist ? Anti-Monarchism need not always equate with anti- Britishness.There's a sizeable section of Man Utd's UK based support who have an ambiguous relationship with the English national side. Most English followers of clubs would favour their club winning something over their national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Incidently, the Irish also seem to have a penchant for these very papers.

Strange that.

I'll assume that your English based on your union jack avatar but yet here you are on an Irish website. Strange that...

OP do you think people from one nation should only engage with sport, media etc from that nation? You also assume that we all hate the English which couldn't be more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

stovelid wrote: »
    So you are driven into the arms of the technically adroit English premier league as a result?

Well given that the coverage we get then yes. You could also argue a point for supporting Real Madrid / Barcelona and to a lesser extent Villarreal/Valencia. The latter is more viable for those who have a sky sports subscription or those who don't mind listening to Spanish commentary online. In theory you could support any teams from top leagues from Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, France, Russia and others as these can all be found online and many of them in English. The problem with South America is the time difference, the quality of football in Italy/Spain/France is not as good as it is as a whole in the premiership.

Madrid/Barcelona arguably the two best teams in Europe dominate in Spain and thus it makes for a less entertaining contest watching those 2 hammer teams 5-0 week in week out. The premiership in this country is covered by many channels and the quality of the league is arguably the best in the world. It's for these reasons that many people are supporters of premier league teams. Also the fact that La Liga wasn't as widely available for viewing until recently whereas I've been watching Match of the Day for as long as I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

No
    op,let me ask you!
    do u watch any british tv channels?
    do u watch any british tv programmes?
    do u eat food produced in britain?
    did u ever spend a weekend in britain?
    DO YOU HATE BRITAIN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Thought the Queen settled this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you would just take 2 seconds of your time to read my posts you will see I'm targeting the schizophrenic anti Britain yet pro British football brigade.

I root against England, just to annoy people like you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

No

Bit of wishful thinking on your part? Or do you not recognise the jersies you see everywhere, the pubs which fill up for big games, the thousands who travel for matches every weekend, the supporters clubs for English teams all over Ireland, the tricolours of those supporters visible at PL grounds every weekend etc?

99%? Probably nowhere near it. Tiny minority? Probably even more off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's very easy to compartmentalise supporting a British team and being anti-British in a grander political or national sense.

If you watch an English team, they're generally playing other English teams, so they're hardly representing England, unlike the national team.

So few of these teams have English players or even managers that Englishness never really comes up when watching them.

And just because you don't agree with lots of things about Britain, doesn't mean you have to hate everything about Britain.

No
    bayern282 wrote: »
    I see your point, however can't the same person sympathise with the concept of English Republicanism and just be an anti-monarchist ? Anti-Monarchism need not always equate with anti- Britishness.There's a sizeable section of Man Utd's UK based support who have an ambiguous relationship with the English national side. Most English followers of clubs would favour their club winning something over their national team.

LOL! Epic attempt at mental flipflopping! You clearly can't abide Irish nationalists humiliating themselves.

Look, the monarchy is supported by 4/5s of Britain and is a valuable asset to the country.

But please continue attempting to justify Irish people emotionally attaching themselves to British teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I said no because I dont watch soccer, i'm more of a GAA fan. It doesn't mean I hate England.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I was delighted today to see Englands Mo Farah win the 5000 metres at the world championships today... seeing as we sent a bunch of donkeys this year, for a change.

No
    op,let me ask you!
    do u watch any british tv channels?
    do u watch any british tv programmes?
    do u eat food produced in britain?
    did u ever spend a weekend in britain?
    DO YOU HATE BRITAIN?

1. Yes, I only watch British telly; Irish telly is revoltingly awful

2. Of course, see above

3. Yes.

4. Many weekends; will be moving there very soon as well.

Why on earth would I hate Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Here's a thing that does annoy me:

Two Irish lads in a pub arguing over their preferred teams and saying 'we' this and 'we' that. If you support them fine, but you don't fcukin' live there. It's ok to say 'we' if your from Dublin and support the Dublin team or from Leinster and support the Leinster team. It's not ok (in my book) to say 'we' about Man U or whatever when you come from Listowel. :mad:

• Advertisement

If you would just take 2 seconds of your time to read my posts you will see I'm targeting the schizophrenic anti Britain yet por British football brigade.

You've still failed to define "anti Britain". Is it objecting to British rule in Ireland and British imperialism generally across the world? Most intelligent people would be attracted to good and repelled by what they deem to be bad aspects of all cultures. In fact, there are tens of millions of people in Britain who would share the opposition of the Irish to British imperialism. Are those British people "schizophrenic" because they then like British soccer? Well?

What are you really upset by here? Is it people not being as bigoted as you clearly and unequivocally are about Irish culture? Would you just feel you could relate to Irish people if they could have a blanket hatred of everything British rather than pick and choose the things they admire and don't admire?

Please do enlighten us on the extent of your myopia.

No
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Here's a thing that does annoy me:

Two Irish lads in a pub arguing over their preferred teams and saying 'we' this and 'we' that. If you support them fine, but you don't fcukin' live there. It's ok to say 'we' if your from Dublin and support the Dublin team or from Leinster and support the Leinster team. It's not ok (in my book) to say 'we' about Man U or whatever when you come from Listowel. :mad:

Yep, the apologists' claim that Irish people only enjoy watching these games is spurious. They embed themselves in a deep and emotional way with these teams.

No
    You've still failed to define "anti Britain". Is it objecting to British rule in Ireland and British imperialism generally across the world? Most intelligent people would be attracted to good and repelled by what they deem to be bad aspects of all cultures. In fact, there are tens of millions of people in Britain who would share the opposition of the Irish to British imperialism. Are those British people "schizophrenic" because they then like British soccer? Well?

What are you really upset by here? Is it people not being as bigoted as you clearly and unequivocally are about Irish culture? Would you just feel you could relate to Irish people if they could have a blanket hatred of everything British rather than pick and choose the things they admire and don't admire?

Please do enlighten us on the extent of your myopia.

The controversy surrounding the Queen's visit here was more than enough evidence of the backward and hypocritical relationship the Irish have with Britain.

People suddenly began complaining of the cost and bleating about the six counties and other such contemptible nonsense.

But all this pre match bluster miraculously subsided when her majesty disembarked her plane.

What hypocrisy; what weakness.

I'll never forget the proceeding image:

_52861755_cork.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

No
    I wouldn't really care if the same people who adore these teams addressed their bilateral hatred for British culture and core values.

As things currently stand it's more than a little hypocritical.[/QUOTE]

i support an english football team,u seem to suggest i hate britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No such thing as a British team so don't understand the opening post

Bit of wishful thinking on your part? Or do you not recognise the jersies you see everywhere, the pubs which fill up for big games, the thousands who travel for matches every weekend, the supporters clubs for English teams all over Ireland, the tricolours of those supporters visible at PL grounds every weekend etc?

99%? Probably nowhere near it. Tiny minority? Probably even more off the mark.

The key word in your post was 'thousands'. Ireland's population is @ 6 million people. So, the OP is wrong to claim 99% of the Irish population follow British soccer and 'tiny minority' would seem like a much more accurate summary of the 'thousands' whom you say travel to Britain for matches. Most Irish people don't follow any sport, but this is probably too much realism for people who surround themselves by people who share their interests and are accordingly oblivious to the vast majority of the country who have other interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Do you support any British sports teams?

I was shouting for London in their run through the Football championship this Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    jive wrote: »
    whereas I've been watching Match of the Day for as long as I can remember.

Since August 1992 you mean.

You still haven't answered the original question. How unsurprising.
    The controversy surrounding the Queen's visit here was more than enough evidence of the backward and hypocritical relationship the Irish have with Britain.

"the Irish". :rolleyes: Stupidity or trolling - that is the question.
    But all this pre match bluster miraculously subsided when her majesty disembarked her plane.

I'd go for trolling in this one at any rate.
    I'll never forget the proceeding image:

_52861755_cork.jpg

:o Definitely trolling.

• Advertisement

No
    No such thing as a British team so don't understand the opening post

I used the term British to catch the Celtic supporters; if I had only used English a lot of hypocrites would've slipped through the net.

Advertisement