Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Yep, the apologists' claim that Irish people only enjoy watching these games is spurious. They embed themselves in a deep and emotional way with these teams.

Its called retardation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No
    Swansea playing in the English Premier League
    And Cardiff fighting for promotion to there

Have the Welsh no pride at all? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

No
    Seanchai wrote: »
    You still haven't answered the original question. How unsurprising.

"the Irish". :rolleyes: Stupidity or trolling - that is the question.

I'd go for trolling in this one at any rate.

:o Definitely trolling.

Basically you don't have any ammo to attack my thesis, it's so much easier to just call troll.

Ironically it is you who is trolling by clogging up my thread with such accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

stovelid wrote: »

Since August 1992 you mean.

I think you mean 1964. Match of the day was around long before the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

No
    Basically you don't have any ammo to attack my thesis, it's so much easier to just call troll.

What is your thesis, Mrs Thatcher?

I don't know why I even bother with AH anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

No
    The keys word in your post was 'thousands'. Ireland's population is @ 6 million people. So, the OP is wrong to claim 99% of the Irish population follow British soccer and 'tiny minority' would seem like a much more accurate summary of the 'thousands' whom you say travel to Britain for matches. Most Irish people don't follow any sport, but this is probably too much realism for people who surround themselves by people who share their interests and are accordingly oblivious to the vast majority of the country who have other interests.

Population of the Republic is nowhere near 6 million for a start. If you're including NI, that a spurious way of using stats in the context of this discussion.
    The "thousands" was referring to those who travel for matches. Many multiples of that are fans who don't travel.

The OP is probably wrong with his 99% claim, but so are you with your "tiny minority" claim. I don't know the stat, but thinking through friends, family, colleagues etc. I'd say better than 60% support a PL team to some degree. Your argument that this is selective observation because I surround myself with them is nonsense, I don't choose 2 of the 3 groupings and I don't choose friends based on their football allegience or the lack of it.
    Similarily, I think your claim that "most" Irish people don't follow any sport is complete rubbish - GAA is well supported is well supported and watched, even for neutral games. Italia '90 brought the country to a standstill and other WC matches filled the pubs and more or less closed some businesses down, Barry McGuigan, Bernard Dunne and Steve Collins were hugely popular and well supported and so on - but ignore all that, keep making it up as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No
    dlofnep wrote: »
    No - I'm not a fan of field sports, or team sports in general.

I'm pretty much the same, and as about 99% of the subscribers to this thread think its about soccer I'll just state that I hate the game regardless who's playing.

I'd generally support individual Judo fighters with Team GB, or their athletes in Track & Field, cyclists, rower's etc etc

I admire a lot about the British people, I hate their history here but I'm mature enough to separate them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

No

Ironically it is you who is trolling by clogging up my thread with such accusations.

You asked a question in the opening post and got lots of genuine answers I fail to see how you have not understood them. It is only the love of the sport in question that these people watch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I used the term British to catch the Celtic supporters; if I had only used English a lot of hypocrites would've slipped through the net.

thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I like the way your poll makes it sound like if you dont like football teams you dont like sport

wtf:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No

Since August 1992 you mean.

I think you mean 1964. Match of the day was around long before the Premier League.

If you had watched any English football from the 70s and 80s I very much doubt you would be asserting that people from this era opted for English teams on the basis of superior aesthetic product. That is very much an argument for the Euro 96/EPL/Galactico/Barca fanboy generation.

No
    Population of the Republic is nowhere near 6 million for a start. If you're including NI, that a spurious way of using stats in the context of this discussion.
    The "thousands" was referring to those who travel for matches. Many multiples of that are fans who don't travel.

The OP is probably wrong with his 99% claim, but so are you with your "tiny minority" claim. I don't know the stat, but thinking through friends, family, colleagues etc. I'd say better than 60% support a PL team to some degree. Your argument that this is selective observation because I surround myself with them is nonsense, I don't choose 2 of the 3 groupings and I don't choose friends based on their football allegience or the lack of it.
    Similarily, I think your claim that "most" Irish people don't follow any sport is complete rubbish - GAA is well supported is well supported and watched, even for neutral games. Italia '90 brought the country to a standstill and other WC matches filled the pubs and more or less closed some businesses down, Barry McGuigan, Bernard Dunne and Steve Collins were hugely popular and well supported and so on - but ignore all that, keep making it up as you go along.

I never claimed this. What I did suggest was that 99% of Irish supporters of British teams support the big clubs.

He either deliberately misquoted me, or his English is a little rusty due to excessive use of the Irish language.

If anything using the North should bolster your argument given that they are British soccer teams.
    The OP is probably wrong with his 99% claim

Probably? He's probably wrong when he says 99% of Ireland's population follow British soccer? Probably? Hello?

I don't know the stat, but thinking through friends, family, colleagues etc. I'd say better than 60% support a PL team to some degree.

60% of the Irish population follows British soccer? Can you please give us evidence for that amazing (to be euphemistic) claim?

No
    Saila wrote: »
    I like the way your poll makes it sound like if you dont like football teams you dont like sport

wtf:confused:

My specific concern is Irish people who support British teams, and those who don't.

Anything else is immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

Have a casual interest in football so I dont really bother watching the league of Ireland, if I do watch football its English football. Its advertised better always on in the pub during Saturdays and match of the day has a better timeslot as opposed to mns on a Monday night. Also I couldnt justify paying €15 to see schoolboy standard football. Im more a rugby fan and I follow Connaught, they are the bottom Irish four provinces but there is a good buzz with the team and its support and I find there is effort made to expand the team. Also I like rugby league but at least in the west of Ireland its not played but its popular in Britain and its easy follow and its played to a high standard. So that being the nearest country with a league closest to me I shall follow it.

I admire a lot about the British people, I hate their history here

And this, boys and girls, is a fine example of what the OP is calling a "hypocrite". :rolleyes:

No
    I'm pretty much the same, and as about 99% of the subscribers to this thread think its about soccer I'll just state that I hate the game regardless who's playing.

I'd generally support individual Judo fighters with Team GB, or their athletes in Track & Field, cyclists, rower's etc etc

I admire a lot about the British people, I hate their history here but I'm mature enough to separate them both.

I take exception with this. It's a common ploy I see many Irish people use, the old "I love England really but".

Why exactly do you hate England's involvment here? Do you hate the infrastructure? The culture of knowledge and innovation? The language?
    The literature? etc. etc. etc. etc.

To say Ireland gained nothing from Britain's presence here is utterly fallacious and more than a little ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    lso I couldnt justify paying €15 to see schoolboy standard football

You clearly know very little about football or have never played it even at a very modest amateur level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Supporting over hyped teams like Manchester United is one thing, but when Irish people actually show some concern for the prospects of the likes of Sunderland you know they're living very sad lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No
    I take exception with this. It's a common ploy I see many Irish people use, the old "I love England really but".

Why exactly do you hate England's involvment here? Do you hate the infrastructure? The culture of knowledge and innovation? The language?
    The literature? etc. etc. etc. etc.

To say Ireland gained nothing from Britain's presence here is utterly fallacious and more than a little ignorant.

Oh for the love of God.

Would you believe I PM'd someone a question in relation to something in this thread, I PM'd them to avoid bringing out people like you.

Tell you what, you can take exception to whatever the hell you want and stick it where the sun don't shine because I mean't absolutely zilch in what I posted.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

lso I couldnt justify paying €15 to see schoolboy standard football

You clearly know very little about football or have never played it even at a very modest amateur level.

From an entertainment point of view and value for money the league of Ireland dosent offer anything at least the English league has a high standard and a worldwide following and any Irish player wanting a career in football the incentive is to get to the UK. I know nothing about football says you, stick a few lads various positions and put the ball in the net simple as.

The OP is probably wrong with his 99% claim
    I never claimed this.

Oh, what do you know:
    Is it not the case that 99% of the Irish support the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and, when the cash came pouring in, Chelsea.

He either deliberately misquoted me, or his English is a little rusty due to excessive use of the Irish language.

Listen, when somebody who said (among other things) that he was "donating" his opinion starts accusing other people of having bad English this all gets hopelessly silly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

No
    I support Man City and honestly couldn't give a flying fcuk what others think of it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Have a casual interest in british football,never supported any team,just never did.If i am in a pub or club and its on i might watch it as it can be an entertaining sport,Never supported the english football team ever,don't like there attitude and condescending remarks about the opposition there playing,There forever at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

You still haven't answered the original question. How unsurprising.

"the Irish". :rolleyes: Stupidity or trolling - that is the question.

I'd go for trolling in this one at any rate.

:o Definitely trolling.

While I don't agree with yag eruoy ('you're gay' spelt very wrongly?) I don't know why you think he is trolling. Very valid points were made in his post, especially the photo. Disgusting West Brit moment that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I support Man City and honestly couldn't give a flying fcuk what others think of it!!!!

Question though, and be honest - did you only begin supporting them when the money came rolling in or have you always been a fan of theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The amount of irony in this thread is unreal.

No
    Oh, what do you know:

Listen, when somebody who said (among other things) that he was "donating" his opinion starts accusing other people of having bad English this all gets hopelessly silly. :rolleyes:

It should be obvious to anyone what I implied.

Do you really think I meant 99% of the entire population? Including OAPs, bairns and teenage girls? :rolleyes: Come on!

Give the Irish a rest -- it's damaging your capacity to read English properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Give the Irish a rest -- it's damaging your capacity to read English properly.

Says the guy that couldn't even spell his user-name correctly.

Advertisement