Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

No
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Way to tar everyone with the same brush.

What are you complaining about?

Is it not the case that 99% of the Irish support the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and, when the cash came pouring in, Chelsea.

I wonder how many of you are Bristol Rovers fans? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Hm?

I genuinely curious what "core values" and culture of the British he thinks Irish people hate.

What do you think they are Biggins? I'm at a loss.
    I have me suspicions but to be totally honest, whom am I to cast the 'first stones' so I decline to start just listing things, to be see as possibly slagging off a neighbour. :)

No
    BASHIR wrote: »
    Yes I support English football teams, Irish ones too. I will be cheering for Ireland on Tuesday and if they unfortunately don't make it through to the European championships i will follow england and hope to see them do well, why not. They are our nearest neighbours.

Here's a very valid question: do you cheer England on when they play?

If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭RichT

No
    Yag reuoY wrote: »

If not, why not?

I cheer on England when they play.

• Advertisement

No
    Veles wrote: »
    Oh! What a splendid original thread, the likes of which I have never ever laid eyes on before!
    Welcome to boards.ie. ;)

No
    Veles wrote: »
    Oh!what a splendid,original thread the likes of which i have never ever layed eyes on before!

Liverpool, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Biggins wrote: »
    I have me suspicions but to be totally honest, whom am I to cast the 'first stones' so I decline to start just listing things, to be see as possibly slagging off a neighbour. :)
    Well, what I'm getting at Biggins is that any of the issues I have with Britain as a whole are certainly not about "cultural or core values" they have...

I would have cultural or core value objections against China, or Sharia law countries.

No
    RichT wrote: »
    I cheer on England when they play.

That's good to hear, but somehow I reckon you're in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I'm a Millwall supporter. No one likes me, but I don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

People who might support an English PL team will do so for various reasons, like perhaps their history, the links with Ireland and the style of football they play ect, ect.

Probably none because they are shyte who play shyte football.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If not, why not?

Is there some unwritten rule which states that you have to? If somebody buys goods made in China, or enjoys the cuisine, are they also somehow bound to support the politics of the country?

No
    Well, what I'm getting at Biggins is that any of the issues I have with Britain as a whole are certainly not about "cultural or core values" they have...

I would have cultural or core value objections against China, or Sharia law countries.
    ...And thats quite fair enough - I suspect in that regard, we'd be thinking very much alike.

Probably something along the same lines as John Cleese?

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032956/John-Cleese-London-longer-English-city-thats-got-2012-Olympics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭RichT

No
    That's good to hear, but somehow I reckon you're in the minority.

Don't think so.........

Every fellow Englishman I know allways cheers England on. :P

No
    Is there some unwritten rule which states that you have to? If somebody buys goods made in China, or enjoys the cuisine, are they also somehow bound to support the politics of the country?

If you possess strong feelings of hatred and bitterness towards the Chinese yet simultaneously kit your house out in Chinese goods, you would look like a total moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

No

If not, why not?

No not particularly why because I dont watch English international games because more than likely Ireland will be playin too Friday night for example. But I was interested in how they do. I'd say plenty of people in Ireland have relatives and family in England. It is a sport and it interests me, no hidden agenda or bias just a sport that I enjoy. Now if was England v Ireland i'd hate the feckers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

God I hate this argument. Every other week some gob shíte on here thinks he's copped something genius and that all these lads supporting English teams are hypocrites. Let my rant begin

To kick things off, not all people who support English teams 'hate' England. The quality of football is much better in the premiership and thus makes it more entertaining to watch for the majority of people. I think everyone supports their local team to some extent but to be honest I don't want to pay to stand in the pissing rain in crap stadiums in the middle of an Irish winter.

The premiership is televised every weekend and matches that aren't televised can be found online. Not only that but Match of the Day is on every Saturday and Sunday night not to mention that Sky Sports News covers the premiership every day of the week. Do you get that level of coverage for any Irish teams? No and for a large number of reasons you never will. Premiership teams also get to play against other European teams in various cup competitions. The fact that you can get all these matches online means you don't even have to have a TV to follow English teams (or you can go down to the pub if you support one of the bigger teams). It actually works out cheaper to follow an English team than an Irish one.

TL;DR
    English teams get more coverage, better coverage, more matches, play against other European teams, can be watched online, better standard of football and it's cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    Real fans go to games. Forza Shelbourne :pac:

jive wrote: »
    God I hate this argument. Every other week some gob shíte on here thinks he's copped something genius and that all these lads supporting English teams are hypocrites. Let my rant begin

To kick things off, not all people who support English teams 'hate' England. The quality of football is much better in the premiership and thus makes it more entertaining to watch for the majority of people. I think everyone supports their local team to some extent but to be honest I don't want to pay to stand in the pissing rain in crap stadiums in the middle of an Irish winter.

The premiership is televised every weekend and matches that aren't televised can be found online. Not only that but Match of the Day is on every Saturday and Sunday night not to mention that Sky Sports News covers the premiership every day of the week. Do you get that level of coverage for any Irish teams? No and for a large number of reasons you never will. Premiership teams also get to play against other European teams in various cup competitions. The fact that you can get all these matches online means you don't even have to have a TV to follow English teams (or you can go down to the pub if you support one of the bigger teams). It actually works out cheaper to follow an English team than an Irish one.

TL;DR
    English teams get more coverage, better coverage, more matches, play against other European teams, can be watched online, better standard of football and it's cheaper.
    Good post

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No
    What are you complaining about?

Is it not the case that 99% of the Irish support the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and, when the cash came pouring in, Chelsea.

I know a spurs fan, a blackburn fan, a west ham fan, a sheffield wednesday fan, I'm an arsenal fan myself. Who cares what team anyone supports though, it's a just a game I watch for entertainment.

That's not what I was complaining about if you read the post I was responding to. I was suggesting it's unfair to assume everyone who supports PL or other british team is eschewing "otherwise fervent national feelings to glory hunt English teams". I watched always watch Ireland play too as frustrating as that is but I have no bad feelings towards England whatsoever, in fact once Ireland are out of a tournament(or fail to qualify as is usually the case) I tend to follow the English team as they are our cloest neighbours.

I would also consider it hypocritical of people to be outspoken of their hatred for england but then turn around and support a british club every weekend, so I actually agree with you on that, it's just your original post seems to suggest that everyone who supports a team over there does that which is not the case. I watch british football because its entertaining and I enjoy it nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

No
    A great example of the sheer hypocrisy that I aim to highlight.

Ah, a campaign for truth and justice in sporting allegiences. Good man, best of luck, about time someone tackled this burning social issue you're wasting your time tilting at windmills.

I support Ireland on the international stage in almost every sport, Arsenal in the PL, Leinster and my local club in the rugby, the NY Giants, Katie Taylor, the Dubs in the football and hurling and so on. About typical I'd say, just change the names for different people. I'm allowed, you won't change it and the idea that's it's hypocritical is complete tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

What id like to know is where are all these Irish Leeds United suporters from a few years back?? Did they all convert to Chelski?

And before anyone points out yes i am a Celtic supporter but im from Glasgow & even if i wasnt well we are one of only two teams still going in the UK that was established for the Irish in Britain..

Yet when we played Manchester & Liverpool in Europe i had Irish people smugly telling me how "there" team was going to destroy us..

Was very nice knocking there adopted English sides on there arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No
    I'd support the English football team if their media toned down the rhetoric and claims of superiority and sure "home of football"
    When they play Germany the papers go into overdrive when their references to Hans and Fritz and subtly mentioning the World Wars

Turns me off tbh

No
    jive wrote: »

TL;DR

Quite literally you're a sunshine supporter.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No

As in they have sh+t football clubs?

No
    mikemac wrote: »
    I'd support the English football team if their media toned down the rhetoric and claims of superiority and sure "home of football"
    When they play Germany the papers go into overdrive when their references to Hans and Fritz and subtly mentioning the World Wars

Turns me off tbh
    Jingoism at its worst and usually dragged up by the rag newspapers sadly too.

stovelid wrote: »
    As in they have sh+t football clubs?
    Well, Nicky Butt plays in China these days doesn't he? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    I only really follow Rugby. So the two teams I directly support are Munster and Ireland.

I have to admit I've always gotten a kick out of those "f*ck the Brit" types who support British soccer teams. Wonderful irony.

No
    mikemac wrote: »

Turns me off tbh

Incidently, the Irish also seem to have a penchant for these very papers.

Strange that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Quite literally you're a sunshine supporter.

Unbelievable.

Why is that unbelievable? I don't ever watch my local team, rain or shine. I don't find that quality of football entertaining.

(in before it's not even played during winter, I know that I was more driving at just crap weather)

Advertisement