Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    It probably sums up the weird Irish fascination with British soccer teams that your fondest memory is a visit to a shop selling merchandise.

This is the problem right here.

It's that ****ing attitude. It's disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

alproctor wrote: »
    You just took one word from my post, and focused on that :rolleyes: - the superstore is one part of my memories of that day!
    Your word though, not mine.

Lots of LoI fans have found themselves in the situation where they had to donate money to their team to keep it in existence, the 400 Club for example. Having the latest replica jersey isn't a priority for them, yet it is for the plastic fan of various British PLCs.

Still, fair play to you, I don't know how you managed through those 3 trophyless years.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No

Lots of LoI fans have found themselves in the situation where they had to donate money to their team to keep it in existence, the 400 Club for example. Having the latest replica jersey isn't a priority for them, yet it is for the plastic fan of various British PLCs.

Still, fair play to you, I don't know how you managed through those 3 trophyless years.:rolleyes:

Too much generalization going on as per usual.. generally speaking

No

Well fair ****ing play to them.
    Doesn't give them any more right to be condescending about who I support.
    I'm no better than them, they are no better than me. We are all football fans at the end of the ****ing day.

Who I support is my business, likewise, they wanna give their money to a club they feel passionate about, that's their prerogative.

And of course alproctor called it the superstore, coz it is a ****ing superstore. DUR.

mars bar wrote: »
    This is the problem right here.

It's that ****ing attitude. It's disrespectful.
    Aw, did someone disrespect Manchester United PLC? A guess a new pair of Man Utd socks will make you feel better!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No
    Aw, did someone disrespect Manchester United PLC? A guess a new pair of Man Utd socks will make you feel better!:rolleyes:

Oh Dear !!

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Oh Dear !!
    No, fairly cheap actually. Just €4.99 in the Manchester United Superstore. Bring a camera to save that special memory of you at the cash register?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No
    Why do I bother

No

Disrespect the club all ya like if you get some weird kick out of it.

Just have a bit of respect for the fans of other clubs.
    Something real football fans have in them is some respect for others. Like Oranbhoy yesterday who apologised to me when I apologised to him for being disrespectful to him and his club.

I'm gonna go cry in my Galway United jerseys now and mourn for football in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Well fair ****ing play to them.
    Doesn't give them any more right to be condescending about who I support.
    I'm no better than them, they are no better than me. We are all football fans at the end of the ****ing day.

Who I support is my business, likewise, they wanna give their money to a club they feel passionate about, that's their prerogative.

And of course alproctor called it the superstore, coz it is a ****ing superstore. DUR.

Well if you want to be technical I'd say they are better supporters than you. I mean just picking a well known successful team in a major foreign city really doesn't make any sense when you get right down to it. I've gone to matches in places like London and kept a low profile but I'd go into pubs near the grounds in question and you can see that the locals have no regard for the Irish etc walking around in Chelsea jersies or whatever. They especially look puzzled when they see groups of Asian fans who don't even speak English walking around and cheering for their team.

As much as I saw They basically think foriegn fans are idiots muscling in on their traditional experience and the more 'passionate' you are about their team the more of an idiot they think you are. That's the impression I got anyway.

Me I don't care either way. Support who you like. I actuallydDon't support anyone other than maybe the Ireland national football team but watching that rubbish is probably a true test of a supporter. I mainly just want to see good football and I don't care where it comes from or who wins as a result.

• Advertisement

No
    Dotrel wrote: »
    Well if you want to be technical I'd say they are better supporters than you. I mean just picking a well known successful team in a major foreign city really doesn't make any sense when you get right down to it. I've gone to matches in places like London and kept a low profile but I'd go into pubs near the grounds in question and you can see that the locals have no regard for the Irish etc walking around in Chelsea jersies or whatever. They especially look puzzled when they see groups of Asian fans who don't even speak English walking around and cheering for their team.

As much as I saw They basically think foriegn fans are idiots muscling in on their traditional experience and the more 'passionate' you are about their team the more of an idiot they think you are. That's the impression I got anyway.

Me I don't care either way. Support who you like. I actuallydDon't support anyone other than maybe the Ireland national football team but watching that rubbish is probably a true test of a supporter. I mainly just want to see good football and I don't care where it comes from or who wins as a result.

Well as a ST holder at Arsenal... I can tell you that it is quite the opposite..complete respect from local supporters towards me and have gotten to know a great bunch of people.. as for your remark about Asian fans...again the complete opposite from my experience.

No

Oh my god.

If you are having this debate with a 15 year old, then yes, you probably are talking to a person who liked the club coz they are winning.

But we're not 15 year olds here...although I do wonder sometimes.

A lot of us didn't just pick a successful club coz the club was winning. For most of us, we were supporting the team before the club had two cups to rub together. But hey, let's not allow that to make your argument invalid and look at the true picture here.

It feels like most of the people here taking a swipe at fans like myself or alproctor are just looking for some sort of moral high ground.

You clearly do care. Your last paragraph contradicts your first paragraph.

Oh my god.

If you are having this debate with a 15 year old, then yes, you probably are talking to a person who liked the club coz they are winning.

But we're not 15 year olds here...although I do wonder sometimes.

A lot of us didn't just pick a successful club coz the club was winning. For most of us, we were supporting the team before the club had two cups to rub together. But hey, let's not allow that to make your argument invalid and look at the true picture here.

Don't know if you've mentioned it but what club do you support out of interest? If it's something like Gillingham or Hartlepool United then I guess you might have a point. But is it by chance one of the bigger clubs from the big cities ManU Liverpool Arsenal then I think a perception of 'lack of success' is very relative.
    It feels like most of the people here taking a swipe at fans like myself or alproctor are just looking for some sort of moral high ground.

You clearly do care. Your last paragraph contradicts your first paragraph.

I don't think I really do care anymore tbh. I think it's just a remnant of childhood feelings when I used to live and die based on the fortunes of the Ireland team during the Charlton and McCarthy eras. I'd say when the last of the WC2002 heroes finally hang up their boots I'll probably be calling it a day too.

Don't know if you've mentioned it but what club do you support out of interest? If it's something like Gillingham or Hartlepool United then I guess you might have a point. But is it by chance one of the bigger clubs from the big cities ManU Liverpool Arsenal then I think a perception of 'lack of success' is very relative.
    I'll guarantee you that it's either Man Utd or Liverpool. 95% of the time it is, but before they were successful of course!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No
    Seriously lads, what difference does it make? Can you not just respect the fact that people do have genuine emotional attachments to english football clubs, be that Manchester United or Colchester United, Liverpool or Hartlepool.

Attacking someone on the basis of who they support is schoolyard stuff.

No

Read a few posts up and you'll find out who I support.
    I would have thought if you were debating a subject, you'd read the previous posts.

United's lack of success in the late 70's to 80's was relegation and no trophies. Much the same as any other club, big or small.

We have been blessed with riches since Fergie came along. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise of course.

I know where you are going with this. Liverpool have not won a League trophy in what, 30 years? But yes, they are still a successful club. They stayed financially sound (for the most part) and won a CL.

Let's say for Galway United, another club I can kind of relate to this subject coz I'd follow them more than Hartlepool :), success would be keeping the club in existence.

I don't think I really do care anymore tbh. I think it's just a remnant of childhood feelings when I used to live and die based on the fortunes of the Ireland team during the Charlton and McCarthy eras. I'd say when the last of the WC2002 heroes finally hang up their boots I'll probably be calling it a day too.

You're like us barstoolers then, abandoning the team when they play ****. ;)

No
    I'll guarantee you that it's either Man Utd or Liverpool. 95% of the time it is, but before they were successful of course!:rolleyes:

You should ****ing know who I support, I told you so a few posts up.

Shows how quickly you glanced through posts and just threw out whatever tosh you could think of.

You should ****ing know who I support, I told you so a few posts up.

Shows how quickly you glanced through posts and just threw out whatever tosh you could think of.
    Accrington Stanley was it?

No
    Accrington Stanley was it?

If you are going to engage in the ****ing subject, then don't be so pathetic.

I'm doing my best to avoid picking up an infraction here but you are acting like a ****ing dickwad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well Chelsea tour Malaysia, China etc. and are glad of the shirt and other merchandise sales. People mightn't like it but that's how clubs earn extra money to pay the massive wages for the players they have. Bigger fan base means more revenues, even Roman can only pump in 100's of Millions for so long.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    Well as a ST holder at Arsenal... I can tell you that it is quite the opposite..complete respect from local supporters towards me and have gotten to know a great bunch of people.. as for your remark about Asian fans...again the complete opposite from my experience.

Was in Liverpool a few years ago (got family there) and we were out for drinks with some of my Dad's friends from there. Eventually they started giving out about all the "f*cking Norwegians and Irish that don't have a clue about football" going to Anfield and destroying the atmosphere. The resentment for these daytrippers was enormous.
    They also assured us that they didn't include myself or the auld lad in that rant as they knew we were season ticket holders with "Shelbourne Dublin or something"

No

It doesn't really matter though does it when you started supporting them.. if you are a committed sipporter.

No
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Was in Liverpool a few years ago (got family there) and we were out for drinks with some of my Dad's friends from there. Eventually they started giving out about all the "f*cking Norwegians and Irish that don't have a clue about football" going to Anfield and destroying the atmosphere. The resentment for these daytrippers was enormous.
    They also assured us that they didn't include myself or the auld lad in that rant as they knew we were season ticket holders with "Shelbourne Dublin or something"

Well I continue to have the complete opposite experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

don't get me wrong I love watching most if not all sports; event junkie but the way premiership soccer dictates urban society and pub culture here.. Frankly I withdraw!

I mean I just watch barcelona put 8 past osasuna, 84% possession messi hat-trick.. Manchester utd pale next to that, so what gives? it's the product that's the allure, the sky money>imports make their game interesting and give it some validity otherwise it'd be mostly indigenous black rush n attack!

Read a few posts up and you'll find out who I support.
    I would have thought if you were debating a subject, you'd read the previous posts.

United's lack of success in the late 70's to 80's was relegation and no trophies. Much the same as any other club, big or small.

We have been blessed with riches since Fergie came along. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise of course.

I know where you are going with this. Liverpool have not won a League trophy in what, 30 years? But yes, they are still a successful club. They stayed financially sound (for the most part) and won a CL.

Let's say for Galway United, another club I can kind of relate to this subject coz I'd follow them more than Hartlepool :), success would be keeping the club in existence.

I'm not trying to debate anything here. Just giving my pov on the matter. I'll take it from the above that you are a ManU supporter? Yes I am familiar with their history. They even had a season in division 2 in the mid 1970's. But even with that they were a big club with a history of winning, a huge stadium and the potential of future glor. They're a glamour club. Even if you picked them when they were in division2 I wouldn't give much credit for going for an "unsuccessful club" so to speak.
    You're like us barstoolers then, abandoning the team when they play ****. ;)

Nope I've just had enough of watching these highly paid athletes under the perception that they somehow represent me or have some connection or something in common with me. They really don't.

Regarding 'barstoolers' (I don't really care for that term) Ireland have got their act together look in a good position to qualify for the first time in a decade atm and here I'm talking about walking out the door at the same time. Hardly barstool behavior. They could win Euro2012 but when Keane, Given , Duff etc retire I don't think I'll have any emotional connection with that team or reason to keep following them and as such they'll just have to have their glorious future without me.

It doesn't really matter though does it when you started supporting them.. if you are a committed sipporter.
    Sip-porters are the worst type of barstoolers!

Publicans hate them the most. They can make a pint last for 3 hours.

No

Well I'm certainly not one.

No
    I'm not trying to debate anything here. Just giving my pov on the matter. I'll take it from the above that you are a ManU supporter? Yes I am familiar with their history. They even had a season in division 2 in the mid 1970's. But even with that they were a big club with a history of winning, a huge stadium and the potential of future glor. They're a glamour club. Even if you picked them when they were in division2 I wouldn't give much credit for going for an "unsuccessful club" so to speak.

That's you POV, I accept that. If you don't want to debate it much more, that's cool too because this is going around in circles!

I don't think I'll be able to change your mind.

Nope I've just had enough of watching these highly paid athletes under the perception that they somehow represent me or have some connection or something in common with me. They really don't.

Regarding 'barstoolers' (I don't really care for that term) Ireland have got their act together look in a good position to qualify for the first time in a decade atm and here I'm talking about walking out the door at the same time. Hardly barstool behavior. They could win Euro2012 but when Keane, Given , Duff etc retire I don't think I'll have any emotional connection with that team or reason to keep following them and as such they'll just have to have their glorious future without me.

None of them do. None of them ever had. But emotions are a weird thing. Clearly you are falling out of love for what it stands for or what it once stood. That's grand, that happens. I can accept that. That seems to be the difference between those of us...arguing...in here. One can accept that any body can feel something for anything (like there are people out there who marry inanimate objects!!) and there are others who can't and try to justify it by shooting down those that do.

I have a love for a club who just so happen to be very, very successful. Can I explain to you why I have a love for them? Nope. Wouldn't even know where to begin.

• Advertisement

That's cool. I don't mind you supporting who ever you like and accept you have your reasons and emotional attachments. I just don't see the logic of it. I mean I could just as easily support the Spanish national team as support Ireland but I don't. I'm using that as a more extreme example of supporting a team that doesn't really represent you.

Advertisement