Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It comes back to the GAA, the unmentionable in threads like this. In rural areas it generally usurps soccer as the local club. The pride of the parish or local area thing is the GAA preserve here, go to the North of England, it's soccer or maybe Rugby League!

Go on the GAA Board and a similar argument is there about fair weather supporters looking for AI tickets.

I've paid €3/400 for a weekend to see Liverpool in action. I didn't moan to pay €100 at most to see Donegal in a AI Q/F or S/F. Q/F's are great value, €35 at most and you get to see 2 AI Q/F's and still some moan, often the Celtic Supporter who'll gladly pay €300 to go to Parkhead!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Gingko wrote: »
    Maybe so but that money could stay in Ireland regardless?

Unless they hide it under their matress, no.

edit: not all of it I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    K-9 wrote: »
    It comes back to the GAA, the unmentionable in threads like this. In rural areas it generally usurps soccer as the local club. The pride of the parish or local area thing is the GAA preserve here, go to the North of England, it's soccer or maybe Rugby League!

Go on the GAA Board and a similar argument is there about fair weather supporters looking for AI tickets.

I've paid €3/400 for a weekend to see Liverpool in action. I didn't moan to pay €100 at most to see Donegal in a AI Q/F or S/F. Q/F's are great value, €35 at most and you get to see 2 AI Q/F's and still some moan, often the Celtic Supporter who'll gladly pay €300 to go to Parkhead![/QUOT

We have room for GAA, football and rugby. All can be successful. It's the mindset of the Irish. Foreign has always been better! Inferiority complex etc. We create our own success and wealth in life.

I used to support Celtic many years back, I stopped for a number of reasons. Dawned on me one day that the money I was spending was going into Glasgow and the Scottish economy not into Dublin or Cork or Sligo and the Irish economy. I do support the LOI. And thats where some of my hard earned money goes now. This Rovers club model and the long awaited breakthrough is hopefully the start of a new era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

jimdeans wrote: »
    I'm always embarrassed by Irish people who "follow" british franchises.

Support man u, liverpool,arsenal...you may as well support mcdonalds or microsoft. Soulless matches and sterile atmospheres.

I'm guilty to an extent. I wasn't into football at all until I was living in the UK, and went to a few Oxford United matches. And I got sucked in. I support them until this day (I'm in London now for an away match tonight against dagenham).

I genuinely feel sorry for the plastic Irish fans.

I'd like to support a LOI team, but I go to so many games with mates who support different Dublin teams that I just enjoy the match, but haven't been "taken" by a team yet.
    McDonalds or Microsoft win every year, some of those teams you mentioned don't. Arsenal for one. :pac::(

We have room for GAA, football and rugby. All can be successful. It's the mindset of the Irish. Foreign has always been better! Inferiority complex etc. We create our own success and wealth in life.

I used to support Celtic many years back, I stopped for a number of reasons. Dawned on me one day that the money I was spending was going into Glasgow and the Scottish economy not into Dublin or Cork or Sligo and the Irish economy. I do support the LOI. And thats where some of my hard earned money goes now. This Rovers club model and the long awaited breakthrough is hopefully the start of a new era.

There are very few areas where Gaelic, Hurling, Soccer and Rugby can get a decent level of support.

Take LoI. Dublin is the only exception. Strong in Gaelic, Hurling through to immense work at underage level, Rugby and soccer.

Hurling was the poor relation. I can remember Dublin not being able to field a team for a Leinster Hurling Championship match. 15 years later, look where they are, overtaken Wexford and Offaly.

Outside that, Cork, look at Cork City, look at Limerick City, look at Galway United. Look at attempts to grow Soccer, Thurles Town, Kildare County, Kilkenny City. Soccer will always be East Coast and a few enclaves.

This is coming from a county that always had a strong soccer tradition. Soccer has made inroads in GAA territory, GAA likewise and GAA always wins!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No

So you don't do foreign holidays yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No
    What is a British team and what is an Irish team?

I don't naturally support either because I don't believe in supporting ethnic identities out of not other reason but that I am of that identity myself; I don't believe that's in the best spirit of sport.

I have hurled with my local parish, and I did take huge pride in our club. It wasn't because I was from the area, but because I was a part of the blood, sweat and tears of the local team.

I genuinely fail to understand how anyone can consider themselves part of the local chess playing team unless they are local chess players themselves. The same goes for national rugby players and national soccer players. Can someone who does feel a natural 'affinity' with these players suggest why on earth they feel such a bond with these sporting strangers?

No
    later10 wrote: »

I don't naturally support either because I don't believe in supporting ethnic identities out of not other reason but that I am of that identity myself; I don't believe that's in the best spirit of sport.

I have hurled with my local parish, and I did take huge pride in our club. It wasn't because I was from the area, but because I was a part of the blood, sweat and tears of the local team.

I genuinely fail to understand how anyone can consider themselves part of the local chess playing team unless they are local chess players themselves. The same goes for national rugby players and national soccer players. Can someone who does feel a natural 'affinity' with these players suggest why on earth they feel such a bond with these sporting strangers?

More an affinity for the club and supporters ... football has obviously changed over the years but at one time it was more possible to have that affinity with the players... still the odd player though these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    More an affinity for the club and supporters ... football has obviously changed over the years but at one time it was more possible to have that affinity with the players...
    Okay but in modern sport that isn't really possible, that affinity just doesn't exist; so why are people getting up at 7am to cheer on random strangers from random sports teams who happen to all come from their island, and who wouldn't know them from Adam?

It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

More an affinity for the club and supporters ... football has obviously changed over the years but at one time it was more possible to have that affinity with the players... still the odd player though these days.

Brendan Bradley was a hero in the 80's growing up! So was Martin McHugh beating teams single handed!

Donegal was a very strong soccer county, Gaelic weak 25 years ago and somehow the GAA has replaced it. The Fanad United's beating Derry City don't exist any more!

• Advertisement

No
    Okay but in modern sport that isn't really possible, that affinity just doesn't exist; so why are people getting up at 7am to cheer on random strangers from random sports teams who happen to all come from their island, and who wouldn't know them from Adam?

It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Well I have gotten to know a lot of Local Arsenal supporters over the years ... and well the Island thing... well I haven't been to most places on this Island... I don't really buy that argument. Nor the strangers argument.

Okay, while LoI have been busy talking about expanding, Gaelic Football has been busy doing it!

So you don't do foreign holidays yourself?

Not the point openroad. Putting cash into clubs from a wealthy league that does not benefit people here is insane when we are in a country that has a league and communities that need that money. With that kind of money more clubs would be full time, more employment in local communities, more confidence in our young people.

Also in case your wondering, it's not an anti British thing on my behalf. It's common sense and success / wealth creation for our own country. David McWilliams had an article relating to this recently which was very adapt.

People of course are free to do what they want. I've actually lived abroad for over 16 years on and off by the way. :)

Surely it's about supporting your locality and community? Not some faceless corporate run club in a super rich league. There are most definately Irish cubs and British clubs. Ethnic identities??? I really think a lot of people here are either missing the point or are wums

Okay, while LoI have been busy talking about expanding, Gaelic Football has been busy doing it!

Shamrock Rovers have been expanding impressively in the community, youth development, training facilities, club structures etc. They have a longterm sustainable structure in place. As are Sligo Rovers, Dundalk, Cork City, Derry City amongst others.

I'm all for GAA too my friend. I support it too. But it will never give back the same wealth or international success of football or rugby. That said I want to see GAA, LOI and rugby all thrive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    This is a match report of a recent Liverpool vs Waterford United friendly

Might make some of you chuckle :D

Liverpool v Waterford United – Match Report

July 25th, 2011

Liverpool 0

Waterford United 1

Five time European Cup winners Liverpool fell to a shock home defeat to part-timers Waterford United in front of over 5000 die-hard Reds at the RSC.

Making their debut appearance at their spiritual home, Rodolfo Borrell’s reserve side were welcomed by thousands of Liverpool supporters – many of whom knew the players names. Reports suggested several had been to a match at Anfield before. A large contingent of Reds had gathered at the Yellow Submarine House in the hours leading up to kick-off although reports suggest many grew irate upon realising they had to leave their stools and walk the hundred yards to the ground with a few blaming RTE’s anti-Liverpool bias on the lack of coverage. Admission to the stands cost €15 (£13.22 sterling or 4 pints in bar currency), but ground tickets were available for €10 for people who wanted to stand up while watching the match.

A banner outside the RSC proclaimed the fans creed ‘Don’t Buy The Sun’ – a reference not to former Manchester City full back Sun Jihai, but a direction advising fans to boycott Rupert Murdoch’s Sun newspaper and instead use their money to subscribe to Rupert Murdoch’s Sky Sports with every HD, 3D and pay-per-view add-on.

Scarves were held aloft to the strains of ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ just like you’d see at a real match on the telly

There was a great buzz of excitement around the ground as Scousers from Stradbally, Reds from Rathgormack and Cappoquin Koppites awaited the arrival of their heroes. Scarves were held aloft to the strains of ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ just like you’d see at a real match on the telly. Some disappointment was expressed that the national anthems of the respective clubs were not played as it would have been truly fitting for the occasion. Quickly making their new home in the RSC just as Man U had in the Aviva Stadium when playing an Irish League team last summer, Liverpool fans created a carnival atmosphere throughout the 90 minutes (specifically, Finland’s annual Society of Trappist Librarians carnival).

In what was surely a disdainful move to antagonise the home fans, Waterford chose to wear a blue strip – the colour of hated local rivals Everton. For that alone, they could expect to be punished by a Liverpool side that included the cream of talent sourced from Spain, Hungary, Sweden, Norway, Senegal, Cameroon, Morocco, Guinea-Bissau (apparently that’s a real country), Australia, Jamaica and England. Waterford, meanwhile, had gone as far as Clonmel to sign one player.

Liverpool seemed a little confused by their surroundings, Waterford’s new ‘This Is A Field’ banner proving particularly disconcerting

It was the perfect opportunity for the likes of millionaire, Champions League-experienced international Nabil El Zhar to connect with his fans. Unfortunately, he failed to connect with the ball very much in a game where he struggled with the attention of a young Waterford full back on pocket money. This was a recurring theme on the night with the Reds stars looking a little confused by the surroundings, Waterford’s new ‘This Is A Field’ banner proving particularly disconcerting. Clearly more used to walking on through the wind and the rain, Liverpool made hard work of conditions on a balmy evening in the sunny southeast, somehow held scoreless in the first half – possibly due to not having had any shots.

The half-time break was disconcerting for the home fans with no expert opinion or slow-motion analysis provided and it was impossible to assess which of the Liverpool starlets was ‘a top, top player’ without Jamie Redknapp’s eloquent verdict. Long queues formed for the chip vans although, thankfully, the operators were not delayed by having to understand any thick Scouse accents.

It was impossible to assess which of the Liverpool starlets was ‘a top, top player’ without Jamie Redknapp’s eloquent verdict

Having won the pre-match toss, Liverpool attacked the Kilbarry Kop end in the second half, as is their wont, and the introduction of big hopes for the future Nathan Eccleston, Suso and Raheem Sterling eased the tensions of the RSC faithful as the game restarted. However, it was the visitors who took the lead in the 65th minute in highly controversial circumstances. Referee Anthony Buttimer awarded a free against Liverpool- hardly any way to treat a famous team from the Premiership. Waterford’s number 7 floated the ball into the box and number 2 headed it past Tyrell Bedford in goal. While this reporter can’t quite place his finger on what was wrong with the goal, the general consensus was that there must have been some cheating or a terrible mistake on the part of the ref. Perhaps there was a stray beach ball in the way.

The ‘sweet silver song of the lark’ was now being drowned out by the noise of a handful of away fans singing in the corner of one stand. A slew of red jerseys began to leave the ground early – possibly to catch the last flight to John Lennon Airport. Astonishingly, England’s finest couldn’t produce a single goal for their supporters to cheer. In fact, Waterford had the bare-faced cheek to try to score more goals. This ungracious behaviour spoiled what should have been a glorious night and provides a perfectly valid excuse for fans never to go to a live match again. After the final whistle, many disgusted Liverpool die-hards were heard to say, ‘I’m gonna follow Barcelona instead on Sky Sports Xtra.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

I doff my hat to you, Mr Stovelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

No
    MAN UTD

No
    daveyeh wrote: »
    MAN UTD

Top manc in the house.

No
    jimdeans wrote: »
    I doff my hat to you, Mr Stovelid.

Not mine I should add!

• Advertisement

Shamrock Rovers have been expanding impressively in the community, youth development, training facilities, club structures etc. They have a longterm sustainable structure in place. As are Sligo Rovers, Dundalk, Cork City, Derry City amongst others.

I'm all for GAA too my friend. I support it too. But it will never give back the same wealth or international success of football or rugby. That said I want to see GAA, LOI and rugby all thrive!

Well Rovers have a big tradition and great set up, the rest would be strong soccer areas traditionally. The problem is outside these traditional strongholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No

But it still wouldn't be a significant sum of money spent to make a difference to the LOI.

mars bar wrote: »
    But it still wouldn't be a significant sum of money spent to make a difference to the LOI.

Jesus mars bar your having a laugh! :)

Rovers had a turnover last year of €2.5m. They put together their squad for I think only €600,000. And look what they have achieved already? Beating Partizan Belgrade away and getting into the group stages. (not forgetting good performances last year too v juve and tel aviv) Now this year their turnover is said to be over the €4m mark.

This money would revolutionise the league!

Well Rovers have a big tradition and great set up, the rest would be strong soccer areas traditionally. The problem is outside these traditional strongholds.

But the strong soccer areas are enough if their managed the right way. There are other countries with only 3 or 4 good clubs but somehow manage to break into Europe regularly. Look at Rosenberg! Think the league has finally learned its lessons from past failures and bad management.

Out of the financial disasters of previous seasons our league will come out of this a lot stonger. It already is! Sligo have joined up with the Sligo I.T. for professional scholarships. Cork City have been taken over by their fans, Dundalk are full time and have a new youth development centre and are currently been taking over by the Dundalk FC trust, Derry city are redeveloping the brandywell and restructuring the club, Limerick FC are returning to the markets field with much improved facilities, Bohs will be back when they get through there current financial woes, Pats are sustainable and have improved their facilties, Galway will regroup and unite in the first Division and return much stronger etc.

The clubs are now cooperating with each other for the collective good. The vested interests of yesterday is a thing of the past. Results in Europe have been getting better and better. The licencing system by both the FAI and UEFA is improving standards as is the move to Summer football.

Watch it grow gentlemen! Just like our rugby did! :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No
    But the strong soccer areas are enough if their managed the right way. There are other countries with only 3 or 4 good clubs but somehow manage to break into Europe regularly. Look at Rosenberg! Think the league has finally learned its lessons from past failures and bad management.

Out of the financial disasters of previous seasons our league will come out of this a lot stonger. It already is! Sligo have joined up with the Sligo I.T. for professional scholarships. Cork City have been taken over by their fans, Dundalk are full time and have a new youth development centre and are currently been taking over by the Dundalk FC trust, Derry city are redeveloping the brandywell and restructuring the club, Limerick FC are returning to the markets field with much improved facilities, Bohs will be back when they get through there current financial woes, Pats are sustainable and have improved their facilties, Galway will regroup and unite in the first Division and return much stronger etc.

The clubs are now cooperating with each other for the collective good. The vested interests of yesterday is a thing of the past. Results in Europe have been getting better and better. The licencing system by both the FAI and UEFA is improving standards as is the move to Summer football.

Watch it grow gentlemen! Just like our rugby did! :)

It would be great to reach the level of those minor european leagues that always manage to get a team or two into Europe every year, we might even produce a decent national team again someday if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The 'spirit of sport' is another matter and a rather nebulous concept tbh.

It's certainly in the best interests of sport for clubs to prosper. To do that, it's simply common sense for a club to foster an identity based on their particular geographical catchment area for support, playing resources, fund-raising & sponsorship. For a community to 'buy into' their local club is of tremendous benefit to both parties.

Good for you. Here in Kilkenny, there are those who've never once taken to the field to hurl for their clubs, though their contributions to those clubs are held to be as vital, selfless and commendable as the on-field heroics of the club and county teams.

In terms of our Rugby players, they play a ferocious sport with passion, bravery, commitment, intelligence and good grace. The opportunity to represent Ireland means a great deal to them - you won't find them faking injuries to miss 'meaningless' friendlies etc.

Those qualities naturally resonate with many folks, who enjoy seeing their country being represented in an honest, honourable, articulate and sporting manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

No
    Jesus mars bar your having a laugh! :)

Rovers had a turnover last year of €2.5m. They put together their squad for I think only €600,000. And look what they have achieved already? Beating Partizan Belgrade away and getting into the group stages. (not forgetting good performances last year too v juve and tel aviv) Now this year their turnover is said to be over the €4m mark.

This money would revolutionise the league!

It's not much progress with you go into the groups and don't get a point, which is likely to happen. The last bit is just not true. Granted I'd love to see the league as a whole progress.

No
    It's not much progress with you go into the groups and don't get a point

Says who?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

No
    stovelid wrote: »
    Says who?

It's gonna show the league up and give the people who slate it ammo to keep doing it. That team might be decent but a 3-0 home defeat is pure pants and if it keeps up it's not gonna endear people to the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It's gonna show the league up and give the people who slate it ammo to keep doing it. That team might be decent but a 3-0 home defeat is pure pants and if it keeps up it's not gonna endear people to the league.

What ridiculous nonsense. The transfer fee for a single Kazan player (the winger who cost 17 million) would run Shamrock Rovers entirely for ten years. Thats the gulf we are looking at. We are not going to be competing with these teams today or tomorrow. Nor is our model to suddenly attract an extra ten thousand barstoolers to our games every week, you only have to read this thread to know that that simply isnt going to happen. The football culture simply doesnt exist here.

Instead we need to maintain the investment at around current levels, while reinvesting this euro prizemoney in a sustainable manner, with a view to the long term future of the club. Only after several years of these successes could we reasonably expect to put it up to Rubin Kazan and the likes.

People need to get away from the notion that what we do is to impress or entice the Irish barstool fan into our grounds. It isnt and never will be again. These are a lost cause.Our future lies in bringing in the youth of Tallaght, Dublin and wider Ireland, and building gradually, as it is and has always been with football clubs all over the world.

Advertisement