Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    barstooler... wow thats a popular word...though i agree with the sentiments behind it ..dont make the mistake of getting Celtic fans mixed up with these goons.. Celtic are a club who like it or not fly the flag for the Irish diaspora in the UK & we wear green to signify our historic & current links...all the EPL teams colours are just picked randomly & mean nothing..id rather support a team that signifys who i am.. & no English team will ever do that.. since i moved here i follow Derry City though they will never be as close to my heart as the Celts.

Its became somewhat fashionable for the internet generation of Ireland to sneer at us but thats ok.. you will never understand how great it is to be a Celtic supporter & you never will..thats your loss.. Mon the Hoops hail hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I supported Celtic many moons ago, It is a great club no doubt! But it's just the Dublin Hoops for me now! It ain't our loss though!! Quite the opposite!

Nice to see your supporting Derry, maith thú!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Gingko wrote: »
    I supported Celtic many moons ago, It is a great club no doubt! But it's just the Dublin Hoops for me now! It ain't our loss though!! Quite the opposite!

Nice to see your supporting Derry, maith thú!

It is your loss..cos we are more than a football team, we have a real community spirit still for such a large club....not that im not saying we dont have our hangers-on.. we do.. especially when we are succesful in Europe.. (been a few years now i know).

But ive got to say you never really supported us if you just stopped.. a football team is for life not just for Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No; just st pats n them catalans

- Celtic are shìt. crazy attendances

mars bar wrote: »
    I don't get this. Celtic is a club in Scotland. It is a Scottish club.

To me, it's no more Irish than any other Britain based club.

Not true mars bar! They are most definately proud of their irish roots and links. They are different to any other UK based clubs. They fly the tricolour and refused to fly the union jack! I'm not going into politics as we want to keep this thread about football.

But yes Celtic are a Glasgow club and the money made goes back into Glasgow not Ireland for sure. Their success does not benefit Irish football full stop.

It is your loss..cos we are more than a football team, we have a real community spirit still for such a large club....not that im not saying we dont have our hangers-on.. we do.. especially when we are succesful in Europe.. (been a few years now i know).

But ive got to say you never really supported us if you just stopped.. a football team is for life not just for Christmas ;)

Rovers have always been my first team since I was a boy at Milltown. I had a flirtation with Celtic in the past, but it wasn't quite the same as you see I am form Dublin and Rovers are my club for my community. Are you from Glasgow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    But yes Celtic are a Glasgow club and the money made goes back into Glasgow not Ireland for sure. Their success does not benefit Irish football full stop.

We meet again! :D

But isn't this what it's all about? LOI supporters accusing supporters of clubs abroad wasting their money and not putting it into grassroots football? That's basically what Celtic supporters are doing too. It's pot, kettle, black really and they are as much "barstoolers" as other fans.

I'm indifferent to LOI football. I was supporting Manchester United before I knew there was football clubs in Ireland. If I do move into Galway City for an internship, *fingers crossed*, then I will go to Terryland more often but I must say, some of the attitudes in here towards "barstoolers" make feel like I shouldn't bother.

Not true mars bar! They are most definately proud of their irish roots and links. They are different to any other UK based clubs. They fly the tricolour and refused to fly the union jack! I'm not going into politics as we want to keep this thread about football.

Celtic are a Scottish based club with proud Irish roots & for anyone else to keep going about how we are purely scottish just because we are based in Scotland are either stupid,ignorant,trolling or all three.

But yes i agree the money does not go back to Ireland in any way.

Off course it was a club set up as a charity to feed the starving & mistreated Irish in Scotland & despite it moving on a long way since then it still gives a ****load to Charity each year.

And it has a history to be proud of & celebrated by all irishmen as a testament to the Irish contribution to a country they moved to with **** all & were met with open hostility & still are to this day..

..not mocked on an Internet forum by some no doubt spotty wee geek like mars bar & others with a right hand for a best friend who probaly knows **** all about football anyway like half the tits slagging us on here.

But isn't this what it's all about? LOI supporters accusing supporters of clubs abroad wasting their money and not putting it into grassroots football? That's basically what Celtic supporters are doing too. It's pot, kettle, black really and they are as much "barstoolers" as other fans.

I'm indifferent to LOI football. I was supporting Manchester United before I knew there was football clubs in Ireland. If I do move into Galway City for an internship, *fingers crossed*, then I will go to Terryland more often but I must say, some of the attitudes in here towards "barstoolers" make feel like I shouldn't bother.

Hey mars bar! Just go? Terryland park is a nice set up. Good facilities for fans. You will be made feel welcome no doubt! I wouldn't put any "barstooler" off!

There's nothing like a live game, being there. I lived in Galway some years ago. Great town!! GUFC will be relegated but will regroup and come back stronger. Hopefully they link up with NUIG and indeed Mervue / Salthill can merge.

No
    Celtic are a Scottish based club with proud Irish roots & for anyone else to keep going about how we are purely scottish just because we are based in Scotland are either stupid,ignorant,trolling or all three.

Off course it was a club set up as a charity to feed the starving & mistreated Irish in Scotland & despite it moving on a long way since then it still gives a ****load to Charity each year.

And it has a history to be proud of & celebrated by all irishmen as a testament to the Irish contribution to a country they moved to with **** all & were met with open hostility & still are to this day..

..not mocked on an Internet forum by some no doubt spotty wee geek like mars bar & others with a right hand for a best friend who probaly knows **** all about football anyway like half the tits slagging us on here.

Yeah, you're the kind of person I associate with supporting Celtic alright.

Sure.....if I had a dick.

No
    Hey mars bar! Just go? Terryland park is a nice set up. Good facilities for fans. You will be made feel welcome no doubt! I wouldn't put any "barstooler" off!

There's nothing like a live game, being there. I lived in Galway some years ago. Great town!! GUFC will be relegated but will regroup and come back stronger. Hopefully they link up with NUIG and indeed Mervue / Salthill can merge.

Friday evenings don't work for me at all.

I know there is nothing like a live game, it's why I go back the road to my local club. It whets my appetite until I get over to Old Trafford.

Mervue and Salthill merge? That won't happen in a million years!

• Advertisement

Rovers have always been my first team since I was a boy at Milltown. I had a flirtation with Celtic in the past, but it wasn't quite the same as you see I am form Dublin and Rovers are my club for my community. Are you from Glasgow?

I am from Glasgow yes with Irish parents so as you can see Celtic were the only team for me..as growing up in Glasgow you are reminded every day of what you are (fenian ..taig..tarrier etc etc) & you come to expect it ..so to go to Celtic park every week & spend time with your own people & celebrate your roots ..well you can see how you grow such a love for your team...

only to move over here & have people constantly remind you "sure yous arent Irish yous are Scottish look at a map etc etc"
    gets on your nerves they obviously havent had to put up with a minute of anti-Irish racism in there lives or they wouldnt be coming out with such nonsense

Well i can see your point how you support Shamrock Rovers & most Celtic fans would feel affintiy with them anyway because of there kit

Friday evenings don't work for me at all.

I know there is nothing like a live game, it's why I go back the road to my local club. It whets my appetite until I get over to Old Trafford.

Mervue and Salthill merge? That won't happen in a million years!

If they don't their out! Simple as that. But the future for Galway LOI lies firmly with GUFC. There were rumours of a link up with NUIG. Fingers crossed

Yeah, you're the kind of person I associate with supporting Celtic alright.

Sure.....if I had a dick.
    nice generalisation there as id expect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

What I found interesting watching the Shamrock Rovers match last night and indeed Ireland matches in general the chants/songs are almost the same as you'd hear at English grounds albeit with slight variations.

Fields of Athenry being the exception which went the other way adopted by Liverpool.

At one point there was also a rendition of Flower of Scotland. Also other 'songs' like that Village people/Pet Shop Boys one Go West and Queen we are the champions are European.

It's a very true saying that music transcends all borders and nationalities

No
    I am from Glasgow yes with Irish parents so as you can see Celtic were the only team for me..as growing up in Glasgow you are reminded every day of what you are (fenian ..taig..tarrier etc etc) & you come to expect it ..so to go to Celtic park every week & spend time with your own people & celebrate your roots ..well you can see how you grow such a love for your team...

only to move over here & have people constantly remind you "sure yous arent Irish yous are Scottish look at a map etc etc"
    gets on your nerves they obviously havent had to put up with a minute of anti-Irish racism in there lives or they wouldnt be coming out with such nonsense

I thought you were born and bred Irish. Apologies.

You grew up with a big club near you, that's great. You were lucky you had the opportunity to experience that.
    I wouldn't expect you to understand how people who seemingly have no connection to a club can still feel such a love for it.

No
    nice generalisation there as id expect

Just as you would call the rest of us barstoolers.
    Like for like here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No

To be fair, the main gripe people have had is that football in Ireland will never be able to grow while large numbers are emotionally and financially supporting non-Irish clubs, be they in Britain or elsewhere. To fans of the LoI, whether Celtic fans identify with the club for its Irishness or not is fairly irrelevant.

And anyway, Arsenal was set up in Woolwich as an athletic club for the workers at the munitions factories, yet the club has evolved and taken on a new identity without forgetting their past, ie their nickname, their badge, their mottos and so on. Countless other clubs in England have similar stories. It would do Scottish football and Scottish society in general a world of good if the Old Firm clubs could begin to make the same transition. You don't have to persistently publicise your past in order to remember it.

With such ignorance i dont even know why you are debating football on here

No
    If they don't their out! Simple as that. But the future for Galway LOI lies firmly with GUFC. There were rumours of a link up with NUIG. Fingers crossed

A link with NUIG would be much better. It won't happen with Salthill or Mervue.

GUFC should have had a youth and junior set up moons ago. It would have meant that the young lads would have gone there before Mervue and Salthill came about with their set ups. GUFC would have been the only club in the LOI otherwise...

Well i can see your point how you support Shamrock Rovers & most Celtic fans would feel affintiy with them anyway because of there kit

I remember Rovers V Celtic in the old European cup in the 80s. The atmosphere and respect shown by both fans on the night was the best I have experienced. Sharing songs and anthem. Great night!! Celtic fans gave Rovers a standing ovation at the end of the game in parkhead. There are many Rovers fans who support Celtic too. Indeed naomh pádraig csc in dublin was set up by Rovers fans!

May be of interest to you to know that shamrock rovers originally played in green and white stripes from 1899 - 1920something? But then changed to green and white hoops in respect and sympathy for the old great Belfast Celtic!

• Advertisement

No

Like it was my fault!
    I wasn't even living in Ireland when I was walking long enough to kick a football.

I'm well able to debate football so I will continue to do so.

pavb2 wrote: »
    What I found interesting watching the Shamrock Rovers match last night and indeed Ireland matches in general the chants/songs are almost the same as you'd hear at English grounds albeit with slight variations.

Fields of Athenry being the exception which went the other way adopted by Liverpool.
    At one point there was also a rendition of Flower of Scotland. Also other 'songs' like that Pet Shop Boys one and we are the champions are European

Yes the Rovers fans do sing "Oh Twigg of Scotland" :)

To be fair, the main gripe people have had is that football in Ireland will never be able to grow while large numbers are emotionally and financially supporting non-Irish clubs, be they in Britain or elsewhere. To fans of the LoI, whether Celtic fans identify with the club for its Irishness or not is fairly irrelevant.

And anyway, Arsenal was set up in Woolwich as an athletic club for the workers at the munitions factories, yet the club has evolved and taken on a new identity without forgetting their past, ie their nickname, their badge, their mottos and so on. Countless other clubs in England have similar stories. It would do Scottish football and Scottish society in general a world of good if the Old Firm clubs could begin to make the same transition. You don't have to persistently publicise your past in order to remember it.
    well as you know theres another side to scottish football that renders that impossible..

well i was at a Manchester Derby a few seasons back..(at the time that they had a silence for the munich disaster).. & the atmosphere was absolutley brutal.. i hope to god Celtic Park never ends up that way..all i could hear around me were foreign accents ..when the City fans near us started singing people were staring at them as if they where nuts.. there was japanese in front of us turned the other way taking pics of the crowd the whole game.. old trafford is nothing but a big money making factory & it was soulless there that day..for all the glitz & bull associated with the EPL because of SKY the atmosphere doesnt have anything on big SPL games & European games ive been too.. it was akin to going to the cinema.

your a true football man oranbhoy! respect! (sincere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

CiaranC wrote: »
    So how, if the biggest club in Ireland cant sell out 8500 tickets in a competitive Europa League match in the capital, are we supposed to go to winning matches against the likes of Rubin Kazan to impress the barstoolers and change forty years of anti-football culture? Barstoolers are not interested in attending football matches. Where do the finances come from?
    That's the catch 22. People hate the league cos it's low quality, it needs money to get better, fans provide money, fans won't go cos it's low quality. Thing is, they're comparing it with the top 4 of the richest league in the world and top quality champions league football!

How is it ignorant if you don't know the details? He could have been 6 years old in primary school and no one talks about anything other than man-u.

No
    Paparazzo wrote: »

How is it ignorant if you don't know the details? He could have been 6 years old in primary school and no one talks about anything other than man-u.

I was a girl in an all girls primary school, there was no football talk full stop.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think its a she & it was out of order what i said i just get fed up with Irish people Slagging off Celtic when as Celtic fans at home we spend our whole time Defending our Irishness if you get what i mean??
    & i took it out on mars bar ..anyway it was a cheap shot from me which id like to retract!

I remember Rovers V Celtic in the old European cup in the 80s. The atmosphere and respect shown by both fans on the night was the best I have experienced. Sharing songs and anthem. Great night!! Celtic fans gave Rovers a standing ovation at the end of the game in parkhead. There are many Rovers fans who support Celtic too. Indeed naomh pádraig csc in dublin was set up by Rovers fans!

May be of interest to you to know that shamrock rovers originally played in green and white stripes from 1899 - 1920something? But then changed to green and white hoops in respect and sympathy for the old great Belfast Celtic!
    Celtic played in Green & white stripes too until 1901,, yeah it was terrible what happened to Belfast Celtic.. a real shame! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Don't know why anyone supports any teams, it's not as if the people on the team care about you. It's just as stupid to support an Irish team as it is to support an English outfit. Sport is meant for playing not sitting down on your arse watching other people do it. I've been involved with amateur sports teams and if you are not on the first team you are treated with disdain. I've also found quite alot of back-biting and moaning about other players on team. Professional sportspeople have to pretend to respect fans but occasionally we see their true feelings. Think of it this way if a Manchester United died do you think they would be missed? Why not do something meaningful with your life?

• Advertisement

Don't know why anyone supports any teams, it's not as if the people on the team care about you. It's just as stupid to support an Irish team as it is to support an English outfit. Sport is meant for playing not sitting down on your arse watching other people do it. I've been involved with amateur sports teams and if you are not on the first team you are treated with disdain. I've also found quite alot of back-biting and moaning about other players on team. Professional sportspeople have to pretend to respect fans but occasionally we see their true feelings. Think of it this way if a Manchester United died do you think they would be missed? Why not do something meaningful with your life?

I do have a meaningful life thank you! When I'm not following my team I travel a lot and Surf (as on the waves). I've actually lived 16 years abroad on and off! Europe , Indonesia, Australia, Central America and the states.

I think you should check out the thread on Philosophy!

Advertisement