Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    It's gonna show the league up and give the people who slate it ammo to keep doing it. That team might be decent but a 3-0 home defeat is pure pants and if it keeps up it's not gonna endear people to the league.

It will put off Sky fanboys that support Liverpool/United/Barca/Celtic but you would be mad to try and build a lasing support around them anyway.

Rovers got beaten last night but the team played OK and the atmosphere and occasion was great. I'm in a position to see at close hand the new blood that is coming into the club and they're not all fickle fanboys by any means.

Plus you get money for getting into the groups: money that allows you to build up the club (players, youth sections, training facilities) so trying to say that making the groups is not progress because a few Sky Sport mongos get all embarrassed that the team can't compete with clubs with a wage bill around 70 times higher than ours is retarded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

No
    Ciaran unless you attract the ‘bar stool’ element of the soccer support then the league will go nowhere. With the current support levels there will never be any money in the game to develop the league. I hate bar stool fans but at the end of the day we need to convert them and change the mindset and attitudes that have been around for decades. No mean feat but it’s what has to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    The only time I support an english team is when it's to our tactical advantage in an international, (specially against France).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ciaran unless you attract the ‘bar stool’ element of the soccer support then the league will go nowhere. With the current support levels there will never be any money in the game to develop the league. I hate bar stool fans but at the end of the day we need to convert them and change the mindset and attitudes that have been around for decades. No mean feat but it’s what has to be done!
    It cant be done and we will not be wasting any energy trying. If some lads want to come onboard they are more than welcome, but our focus is on the long term and developing a fanbase through the youth, before they develop their imagined connections with UK football. One kid who comes in through the schoolboys, the summer and holiday academies, the junior hoops, the links with the local schools, quickly brings his mates in with him. Tallaght is awash with kids in Rovers gear, the kids who have been involved in the last few years are with us for life. These are far more valuable than the event-junkie barstooler.

No
    CiaranC wrote: »
    It cant be done and we will not be wasting any energy trying. If some lads want to come onboard they are more than welcome, but our focus is on the long term and developing a fanbase through the youth, before they develop their imagined connections with UK football. One kid who comes in through the schoolboys, the summer and holiday academies, the junior hoops, the links with the local schools, quickly brings his mates in with him. Tallaght is awash with kids in Rovers gear, the kids who have been involved in the last few years are with us for life. These are far more valuable than the event-junkie barstooler.

All well and good, but the culture will not be changed through this. These kids are being raised by these bar stoolers and you usually support the teams your parents do. I'm in Tallaght all the time and it's not awash with Rovers gear on youngsters. Steady on you:D You Rovers fans get so ahead of yourselves it's laughable. There was hundreds of empty seats last night at your biggest game in years ffs, you're still small fry and until you change the attitude of the soccer supporting public then there's only so far you can go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd never support a Brit team. I love Celtic though, but they're really Irish. They wear green and even have a shamrock in their logo. And their manager even has red hair. Chucky our law.

All well and good, but the culture will not be changed through this. These kids are being raised by these bar stoolers and you usually support the teams your parents do. I'm in Tallaght all the time and it's not awash with Rovers gear on youngsters. Steady on you:D You Rovers fans get so ahead of yourselves it's laughable. There was hundreds of empty seats last night at your biggest game in years ffs, you're still small fry and until you change the attitude of the soccer supporting public then there's only so far you can go.
    Not sure exactly where you are expecting the league to "go". Have a look at league averages over Europe. SRFC get about double the league average attendance of proper football countries like Serbia, Czech Republic and Croatia. If we could add a couple of thousand more to our attendence over the next decade or so we would be (per-capita) among Europes best supported.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Your plan appears to be to somehow magically get into the champions league and start winning so Paddy the mad Man U fan who has never been to Manchester will jump ship to us. Its not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'd never support a Brit team. I love Celtic though, but they're really Irish. They wear green and even have a shamrock in their logo. And their manager even has red hair. Chucky our law.

Last time I checked Glasgow Celtic was in Scotland.

Must look at google maps to see what part of Ireland has it moved too:p

No
    You're the best supported team in Ireland you're comparing just yours to the average of all the others combined including the ****ty little clubs. What's the average attendance of the whole league and compare it to those leagues. And what do the top clubs like Sparta Prague get? A damn sight more than the 3,800 average you got last season! Your biggest game for years and you still couldn't sell a sh*tty 8,500 tickets. I mean don't be getting an delusions of grandeur just yet...:rolleyes:

No
    Last time I checked Glasgow Celtic was in Scotland.

Must look at google maps to see what part of Ireland has it moved too:p

You don't get sarcasm I take it? He was obviously joking!

• Advertisement

You don't get sarcasm I take it? He was obviously joking!

So was I!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

All well and good, but the culture will not be changed through this. These kids are being raised by these bar stoolers and you usually support the teams your parents do.

There's only so much that LOI clubs can do to change culture, particularly with a media that treats Man Utd & Liverpool as if they are Irish and gives the SPL a level of credibility over the LOI which isn't reflected by the standards of both Leagues. It's better to make slow progress then wasting your time chasing people who aren't interested.

From being to games in both Scotland and Ireland the LOI is better standard then Scotland at the moment.

No
    You're the best supported team in Ireland you're comparing just yours to the average of all the others combined including the ****ty little clubs. What's the average attendance of the whole league and compare it to those leagues. And what do the top clubs like Sparta Prague get? A damn sight more than the 3,800 average you got last season! Your biggest game for years and you still couldn't sell a sh*tty 8,500 tickets. I meean don't be getting an delusions of grande
    ur just yet...:rolleyes:

I'd rather support a Irish schoolboy club than be the type of excruciating mongo twat that goes around bigging up celtic or Liverpool as Irish clubs. Embarrassment to the country and also the laughmg stock of genuine football supporters of the clubs whose party you are gatecrashing. The same supporters that give us respect when we visit each other.

No
    There's only so much that LOI clubs can do to change culture, particularly with a media that treats Man Utd & Liverpool as if they are Irish and gives the SPL a level of credibility over the LOI which isn't reflected by the standards of both Leagues. It's better to make slow progress then wasting your time chasing people who aren't interested.

Scottish teams have got to seven European finals, it's earned more credibility then the LOI. Whether you like it or not. It also has some major clubs known around Europe. Papers print what they think people wanna read about, hence why you see stuff about Celtic and the EPL in the papers. The average LOI Premier Division attendance last year was 1,512. If I owned a paper I wouldn't give that more attention than the other leagues people care about. You're there to make money and sell papers, not keep a minority of soccer fans happy.

If the level of interest goes up in the league then the media will too. Until then, business is business and they report and give coverage where they will sell most papers increasing advertising revenue etc.

You're the best supported team in Ireland you're comparing just yours to the average of all the others combined including the ****ty little clubs. What's the average attendance of the whole league and compare it to those leagues. And what do the top clubs like Sparta Prague get? A damn sight more than the 3,800 average you got last season! Your biggest game for years and you still couldn't sell a sh*tty 8,500 tickets. I mean don't be getting an delusions of grandeur just yet...:rolleyes:
    So how, if the biggest club in Ireland cant sell out 8500 tickets in a competitive Europa League match in the capital, are we supposed to go to winning matches against the likes of Rubin Kazan to impress the barstoolers and change forty years of anti-football culture? Barstoolers are not interested in attending football matches. Where do the finances come from?

No
    From being to games in both Scotland and Ireland the LOI is better standard then Scotland at the moment.

I live in Scotland and watch more Scottish than you ever will. The standard of player in Scotland is much higher. Look at the amount of international players in Scotland and look at the LOI. How many LOI players play for their national team? How many in Scotland? It's pathetic a national league that hasn't had a player in the national team for any great deal of time in about three/four DECADES!

Celtic even pumped a LOI team 5-0 in the Summer ffs:D

No
    stovelid wrote: »
    I'd rather support a Irish schoolboy club than be the type of excruciating mongo twat that goes around bigging up celtic or Liverpool as Irish clubs. Embarrassment to the country and also the laughmg stock of genuine football supporters of the clubs whose party you are gatecrashing. The same supporters that give us respect when we visit each other.

Not getting into the whole Celtic thing. Irish fans are not seen as a laughing stock by the native fans. We're welcomed with open arms, such is the history of Celtic.

BTW, I support Shels, I've a pain in my backside saying it. But I'mm honest about the league and its set-up. It's brutal and we could learn a thing or two from Scotland.

Rovers and their stadium that they don't own and sat in a crap heap for years because they weren't able to build a tiny stand. And they're the biggest club in Ireland? Fecking Dunfermline have a better stadium and they own theirs! Look to similar sized countries and learn from how they've done things.

I live in Scotland and watch more Scottish than you ever will. The standard of player in Scotland is much higher. Look at the amount of international players in Scotland and look at the LOI. How many LOI players play for their national team? How many in Scotland? It's pathetic a national league that hasn't had a player in the national team for any great deal of time in about three/four DECADES!

Celtic even pumped a LOI team 5-0 in the Summer ffs:D

Go on what games have ya been to this season????

No

Not getting into the whole Celtic thing. Irish fans are not seen as a laughing stock by the native fans. We're welcomed with open arms, such is the history of Celtic.

BTW, I support Shels, I've a pain in my backside saying it. But I'mm honest about the league and its set-up. It's brutal and we could learn a thing or two from Scotland.

Rovers and their stadium that they don't own and sat in a crap heap for years because they weren't able to build a tiny stand. And they're the biggest club in Ireland? Fecking Dunfermline have a better stadium and they own theirs! Look to similar sized countries and learn from how they've done things.

Scottish football has better facilities because locals are slightly more inclined to support a local team instead of fucking off to the pub and pretending to be from another country.

• Advertisement

So you going to fill us in on how to get into the CL, top the group and attract barstoolers en masse without going bankrupt in the process chucky? We're all ears.

No
    Go on what games have ya been to this season????

What Celtic? I have a season ticket.

Shels? I've been to seven games this season (one pre-season v Rovers). As I said I don't live in Ireland. I plan games around trips home. We're playing at home that weekend I get the early flight home and take the Friday off work as a holiday. I've been to games against the likes of Salthill with barely 500 people there. Unlike half the Shels support I've kept support the club through our half a decade in the First Division.

No
    So you going to fill us in on how to get into the CL, top the group and attract barstoolers en masse without going bankrupt in the process chucky? We're all ears.

Who am I? The Oracle? I'm telling you what needs to be done. Attitudes need to be changed. How do you do that? One I would say the league needs to be marketed better. That's down to the FAI and needs investment. Going off how they've slashed the prize money for LOI teams I'd say that's unlikely.

Rugby didn't become big overnight, but it was marketed and things happened for them. People didn't stop supporting the LOI overnight and it won't be reverted back to how it was overnight, but it has to be marketed and promoted aggressively by the custodians of the league. One thing I would like to see if SKY take on the league like they have with the Irish league. It might give it some credibility.

Don't have all the answers for a problem that's been about for donkeys but the FAI taking on actually promoting the league would be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No
    Scotland football has better facilities because locals are slighty more inclined to support a local team instead of ****ing off to the pub and pretending to be from another country.

To be fair, outside of the old firm Scottish football attendances are fairly woeful.

Marketing! - thats genius. Dont know why we didnt think about that ourselves! Thanks dude!

Or maybe we could all just pick a huge successful foreign team to jump on the bandwagon with and go on internet sites like here and foot.ie and post how **** our own league is. Isnt that really the opposite of marketing really?

No
    To be fair, outside of the old firm Scottish football attendances are fairly woeful.

Comparing to the LOI and the fact Scotland has a similar population and has two massive clubs like Celtic and Rangers who both get around 50,000 a game the attendances are not bad at all. Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts all get bigger attendances than the biggest club in the Czech Republic.

No
    Marketing! - thats genius. Dont know why we didnt think about that ourselves! Thanks dude!

Or maybe we could all just pick a huge successful foreign team to jump on the bandwagon with and go on internet sites like here and foot.ie and post how **** our own league is. Isnt that really the opposite of marketing really?

I'm not a marketer, I'm an individual on an internet forum giving an honest opinion. It's alright saying why didn't we think of that ourselves, but the FAI has to be lobbied by fans of the LOI to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

barstooler... wow thats a popular word...though i agree with the sentiments behind it ..dont make the mistake of getting Celtic fans mixed up with these goons.. Celtic are a club who like it or not fly the flag for the Irish diaspora in the UK & we wear green to signify our historic & current links...all the EPL teams colours are just picked randomly & mean nothing..id rather support a team that signifys who i am.. & no English team will ever do that.. since i moved here i follow Derry City though they will never be as close to my heart as the Celts.

Its became somewhat fashionable for the internet generation of Ireland to sneer at us but thats ok.. you will never understand how great it is to be a Celtic supporter & you never will..thats your loss.. Mon the Hoops hail hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    barstooler... wow thats a popular word...though i agree with the sentiments behind it ..dont make the mistake of getting Celtic fans mixed up with these goons.. Celtic are a club who like it or not fly the flag for the Irish diaspora in the UK & we wear green to signify our historic & current links...all the EPL teams colours are just picked randomly & mean nothing..id rather support a team that signifys who i am.. & no English team will ever do that.. since i moved here i follow Derry City though they will never be as close to my heart as the Celts.

Its became somewhat fashionable for the internet generation of Ireland to sneer at us but thats ok.. you will never understand how great it is to be a Celtic supporter & you never will..thats your loss.. Mon the Hoops hail hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this. Celtic is a club in Scotland. It is a Scottish club.

To me, it's no more Irish than any other Britain based club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Scottish football has better facilities because locals are slightly more inclined to support a local team instead of fucking off to the pub and pretending to be from another country.
    Wasnt it you that told me that all scots should stop pretending there English or Irish??

Although i see your point here..at the end of the day its pointless trying to convert the Irish into supporting local teams now im afraid ..SKY has taken over the footballing world & convinced all these eejits that the EPL is the best thing in the world.. they (barstoolers) are the same type that never bothered with football until it became fashionable again around about the mid-90s.

Advertisement