Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

No
    Don't know why anyone supports any teams, it's not as if the people on the team care about you. It's just as stupid to support an Irish team as it is to support an English outfit. Sport is meant for playing not sitting down on your arse watching other people do it. I've been involved with amateur sports teams and if you are not on the first team you are treated with disdain. I've also found quite alot of back-biting and moaning about other players on team. Professional sportspeople have to pretend to respect fans but occasionally we see their true feelings. Think of it this way if a Manchester United died do you think they would be missed? Why not do something meaningful with your life?

A fitting end post to close the thread wouldn't you agree? a pathetic OP ,36 pages on (WTF?) and now the above :rolleyes: ..... boards.ie seriously needs a 'facepalm' smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    Many threads covering many subjects? Just pick the ones your interested in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

No
    Gingko wrote: »
    Many threads covering many subjects? Just pick the ones your interested in :)

As opposed to this,one thread covering many subjects :D when did this thread steer veer off topic? (as sad an OP as it was)

:o my sad curiousity brought me to this one.

tbh I've seen longer threads on lesser subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

No
    Yes, delighted to see Lancashire win the County Championship after a 77 year wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yes, delighted to see Lancashire win the County Championship after a 77 year wait :D

HA! Back to Wall Street with ye Gecko! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    I think its a she & it was out of order what i said i just get fed up with Irish people Slagging off Celtic when as Celtic fans at home we spend our whole time Defending our Irishness if you get what i mean??
    & i took it out on mars bar ..anyway it was a cheap shot from me which id like to retract!

Ah yeah, you find out she's a girl so you apologise. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No
    Don't know why anyone supports any teams, it's not as if the people on the team care about you. It's just as stupid to support an Irish team as it is to support an English outfit. Sport is meant for playing not sitting down on your arse watching other people do it. I've been involved with amateur sports teams and if you are not on the first team you are treated with disdain. I've also found quite alot of back-biting and moaning about other players on team. Professional sportspeople have to pretend to respect fans but occasionally we see their true feelings. Think of it this way if a Manchester United died do you think they would be missed? Why not do something meaningful with your life?

Because watching your team play is more entertaining and fun then watching the greatest film/tv show ever made. their is absolutely nothing in the entertainment industry can can compare to the emotional rollocoaster that is live sport. I have a very fulfilling life with a good job, family and lovely girlfriend are great friends and I have experienced a LOT of different things but to me life would be very boreing and depressing without sport, to me a life without sport is like owning a pc that cant connect to the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

mars bar wrote: »
    I thought you were born and bred Irish. Apologies.

You grew up with a big club near you, that's great. You were lucky you had the opportunity to experience that.
    I wouldn't expect you to understand how people who seemingly have no connection to a club can still feel such a love for it.

I always laugh when people talk about having such love for one of the plastic teams.

I guess mars bar looks at it like a real genuine love, whereas I take it to mean she loves man utd in the same way I love The Big bang Theory :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Why do people watch american films? Yet at the same time will give out about Vietnam and the Iraq war... gawd you're all such hypocrites. :rolleyes:

Did you not get the memo? You either dislike EVERYTHING a country has done or like ALL of it. Otherwise you are a hypocrite...

Jeez :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I can understand watching sports from other countries but I always found it really odd that people follow one team and get upset when that team in another country loses.. I could understand if it was their own county that lost a match. It's a bit weird when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I used to support McLaren but when Kimi moved to Ferrari, I switched my support to the Italian team and since Kimi left, I've been supporting Red Bull cuz I don't like Alonso in the Ferrari...

So yeah, I supported a British team for a while but not cuz it was British, I liked Hakkinen and Kimi when they were in Mclaren.

And that's all I care about the Brits. Not really a fan of team sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    jimdeans wrote: »
    I always laugh when people talk about having such love for one of the plastic teams.

I guess mars bar looks at it like a real genuine love, whereas I take it to mean she loves man utd in the same way I love The Big bang Theory :p

How are they a plastic team? The game is a British game and they are more entitled to play the game than any team in Ireland. I follow a real football club!

The Big Bang Theory is savage but every time I watch it, I don't feel emotional. Now every time I walk into OT, I always get a lump in my throat. It's a great feeling. Following the club has made me a load of genuine friends too, one who has been going to OT for over 50 years.

Actually, that guy grew up across from OT and yet, he doesn't look down on me like some of tits over here because I don't follow a LOI team. He doesn't tell me to go home and watch some other club. He knows I'm as genuine as the next United fan and he appreciates that.

A few lads here could do with an attitude check really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No
    niallers1 wrote: »
    I can understand watching sports from other countries but I always found it really odd that people follow one team and get upset when that team in another country loses.. I could understand if it was their own county that lost a match. It's a bit weird when you think about it.

Couldn't care less how the international team does myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Well, I'm Welsh, so I do... :pac:]

Check my sig for my allegiances...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

St Patrick's Athletic. **** the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

mars bar wrote: »
    How are they a plastic team? The game is a British game and they are more entitled to play the game than any team in Ireland. I follow a real football club!

The Big Bang Theory is savage but every time I watch it, I don't feel emotional. Now every time I walk into OT, I always get a lump in my throat. It's a great feeling. Following the club has made me a load of genuine friends too, one who has been going to OT for over 50 years.

Actually, that guy grew up across from OT and yet, he doesn't look down on me like some of tits over here because I don't follow a LOI team. He doesn't tell me to go home and watch some other club. He knows I'm as genuine as the next United fan and he appreciates that.

A few lads here could do with an attitude check really.

I shouldn't have said Utd themselves are a plastic team. What I mean is that they have a massive proportion of plastic fans.

The rest of what you say is, well, I don't know the kindest word for it. I want to say it sounds a bit sad, but that's probably a bit too harsh. It sounds mostly like you've been taken in by consumerism. Talk of a "real team" is the sort of stuff plastic fans come out with all the time. When really you mean "I support a highly successful team".

I realise that all sounds harsh, but it's cringeworthy hearing Irish people talking about man utd on an emotional level. Like I said earlier, you may as well be talking about microsoft or mcdonalds, in my humbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I hope Dublin win the All-Ireland tomorrow. I guess that means I'll be supporting a West British team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I used to support Ireland during the Charlton years if that counts?

No
    Dotrel wrote: »
    I used to support Ireland during the Charlton years if that counts?

England B ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    England B ;)

If anything we had England A and they the leftovers. :)

Our first team was better than theirs

Even our B team was better than theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

No
    Yag reuoY wrote: »
    There is a key difference: other nations don't harbour such bitterness towards the British.

It really is a pathetic spectacle.

But I don't harbor any bitterness towards the British. I support the teams I like to watch regardless of what country the team is based. I see your attitude as being pretty pathetic and it has little to do with sport

No
    Dotrel wrote: »
    If anything we had England A and they the leftovers. :)

Our first team was better than theirs

Even our B team was better than theirs

True. :) Although Gary Lineker definitely didn't have his shooting boots on that day

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    I shouldn't have said Utd themselves are a plastic team. What I mean is that they have a massive proportion of plastic fans.

The rest of what you say is, well, I don't know the kindest word for it. I want to say it sounds a bit sad, but that's probably a bit too harsh. It sounds mostly like you've been taken in by consumerism. Talk of a "real team" is the sort of stuff plastic fans come out with all the time. When really you mean "I support a highly successful team".

I realise that all sounds harsh, but it's cringeworthy hearing Irish people talking about man utd on an emotional level. Like I said earlier, you may as well be talking about microsoft or mcdonalds, in my humbler.

But what would you know about how I or any other fan feels?

United were only at the beginning of Fergie's reign when I started supporting them. I wasn't a bandwagoner. I didn't jump ship when we won nothing for 3 years and Chelsea were the team of the Premiership. If United got relegated tomorrow, I'd still wear my jersey proudly.

It's cringeworthy listening to other people calling other fans "barstoolers" or "plastic fans" coz quite frankly, it's childish and immature. It's high horsery of the tallest order.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    True. :) Although Gary Lineker definitely didn't have his shooting boots on that day

Yeah, he wasn't a big fan of the Euros. He seemed to prefer World Cups .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭billyhead

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    well as you know theres another side to scottish football that renders that impossible..

well i was at a Manchester Derby a few seasons back..(at the time that they had a silence for the munich disaster).. & the atmosphere was absolutley brutal.. i hope to god Celtic Park never ends up that way..all i could hear around me were foreign accents ..when the City fans near us started singing people were staring at them as if they where nuts.. there was japanese in front of us turned the other way taking pics of the crowd the whole game.. old trafford is nothing but a big money making factory & it was soulless there that day..for all the glitz & bull associated with the EPL because of SKY the atmosphere doesnt have anything on big SPL games & European games ive been too.. it was akin to going to the cinema.

Thats what its like at all home games for United. Its like a tourist attraction. Try to get to a United away game sitting with the away supporters. Thats a far better experience. Its the away games where most of the hardcore United fans go to. They don't bother with the home matches due to the reasons you stated i.e too many foreign fans attending the hone game as if its a tourist excursion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No

I am 34 years old, and have supported Manchester United since i was a 4 year old boy, receiving United Reviews every couple weeks from my Uncle who lived in Sale. I remember, as a 7 year old, getting a jersey in the post, signed by Remi Moses, before they were ever on sale over here.
    I remember United beating Brighton & Hove Albion 4-0 in a replay of the 1983 FA Cup Final, I remember Norman Whiteside's winner in the 85 Final.
    I remember Mark Hughes' super finish in the 1991 European Cup Winners' Cup Final, and of course I remember the first league title in 27 years in 1993, as well as league titles, trebles in 1999, World class players, not so good players, and a host of other good and bad memories associated with the Manchester United.

My first visit to Old Trafford was as a 13 year old boy, on a day there was no match, and I still remember it fondly - the superstore, the Munich Clock, the sheer awe of actually being at Old Trafford. My second, and last visit was in January 2008, for the Portsmouth game which Ronaldo scored that freekick against David James and Portsmouth.

I often wish I lived in the UK so I could get there again, but I've not worked in a couple of years now, and what with family and stuff, I cant see myself getting over again soon, but in my eyes, that does not make me any less of a supporter than one from Salford or somewhere.

I still have every programme my Uncle Tom sent me, as well as every jersey I've ever owned, and many more memories, both material and intangiable, and for me, I love Manchester United.

Granted there are many United 'supporters' that are there for the glory etc. etc. or perhaps there may be a 'plastic' quality to some, but for someone to suggest that it's cringeworthy to hear me, or anyone else, talk about Manchester United on an emotional level is extremely annoying. I love that club, and I always will. People shouldnt make such sweeping generalisations.

Apologies for rambling, by the way.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

alproctor wrote: »
    My first visit to Old Trafford was as a 13 year old boy, on a day there was no match, and I still remember it fondly - the superstore, the Munich Clock, the sheer awe of actually being at Old Trafford.
    It probably sums up the weird Irish fascination with British soccer teams that your fondest memory is a visit to a shop selling merchandise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

billyhead wrote: »
    Thats what its like at all home games for United. Its like a tourist attraction. Try to get to a United away game sitting with the away supporters. Thats a far better experience. Its the away games where most of the hardcore United fans go to. They don't bother with the home matches due to the reasons you stated i.e too many foreign fans attending the hone game as if its a tourist excursion

It really depends where you are in Old Trafford on match day. If you are in the Stretford End (or K Stand for the big games) the atmosphere is generally decent. I've been to Old Trafford when the place has been rocking although unfortunately these times are often few and far between. In terms of away atmosphere though Manchester United I'd say boast the best away fans in England although unfortunately this section of the support is also now starting to suffer with daytrippers and tourists.

However the best atmosphere I've been to is an Old Firm game at Celtic Park, atmosphere there is unbelievable. Also been to European games at Parkhead and the atmosphere there is so much better than the English grounds I've been to. I went to the Scottish Cup replay back in March on a Wednesday night when Lennon & McCoist had that scuff after the game and the atmosphere that night I think was the best I've ever been in. I then went to Anfield the following Sunday watching Man United and was in the away end. When Celtic started singing YNWA it was spine chilling and Liverpool's was so tame in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No
    It probably sums up the weird Irish fascination with British soccer teams that your fondest memory is a visit to a shop selling merchandise.

You just took one word from my post, and focused on that :rolleyes: - the superstore is one part of my memories of that day!

• Advertisement

No

Nothing weird about it ..well from my point of view

Advertisement