Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April/May 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The snoring has arrived :D The last time around he compared me to a bulldozer, 7 more months of it to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Inky77

Hello all, I hope you don't mind me joining you. I've been dropping by on and off and reading this board since early september (I too am pregnant, 11 weeks and due on April 30th) but I didn't want to join and post too early just incase I was wrong and it was just wind. :D
    But now I think I need to talk to others that are in the same boat. My scan is booked for the 21st of October so not long to wait now. I have experienced the usual pregnancy symptoms (nausea, tiredness, crampyness, backaches)but I am eating well & gaining weight. We moved house a few days after I found out I was pregnant which was a major stress to me and my husband, so we are hoping that everything is fine and that the scan gives us the confirmation and reassurance we both really need right now. 1. That everything is ok healthwise. 2. that there is only one baby in there coz my belly is fairly big for 11 wks! We are counting down the days! I also quit smoking when I found out which brings it's own set of emotional swings and roundabouts. But my mood swings and emotions all over the place. I've been crying alot over the fact that my mum isn't just down the road for me to go and see, phone calls are ok but it's just not the same. So if I want to go and see her I have to book a flight. My husband and his family are lovely, but there are somethings that I would only feel comfortable talking to my mum about. On top of all that I am somewhat nervous of the Irish maternity system and unaware of what will happen and how things work, not sure if I've chosen the right hospital and generally worried about everything. I've been told not to stress too much, it's not good for jnr, but I just can't help it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

Hi everyone. Unfortunatley our scan on Monday did not go well. A heartbeat could not be found. I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck with your pregnacies and I'll be thinking of you all next spring. I hope all your hopes and wishes for your spring babies come true:)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Custard Cream I am so so sorry to hear that news, I can't imagine how you or your husband are feeling. I feel numb myself just reading that.

I hope you have plenty of support and that please god in the future yourself and your husband will be blessed with a beautiful child.
    Take care of yourself Custard Cream.xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Oh Custard Im so sorry to hear of your unfortunate news :( life can be so cruel and unfair :mad:

I too hope that in the future things look brighter and better for you

*hugsss*

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got bad news on one twin today, he/she stopped growing. :( Other twin doing great - in other circumstances I would be on a high at how well, but today was a shock for us.

I posted over in the TTC thread about it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74893563&postcount=2906
    I didnt want to write it all here - some of you may not feel up to reading, but the link is there if you do.

Hugs to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I've posted in the TTC thread but will post here too.

Neyite, Custard Cream, I don't know what to say, there is never the right words for events like this and I can't even imagine putting myself in your shoes as that alone would be too painful. Please take care x

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

CustardCream, Neyite, I can't imagine how ye feel, I was so sorry to hear about your news. My heart goes out to you both x

Neyite I am so sorry to hear your news also, life can be so cruel.

Take care of yourself xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Custard Cream & Neyite I'm also very very sorry to hear both your news.. I feel for the both of you.... look after yourselves.. xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Oh Custard Cream and Neyite I'm so very sorry for you both for your sad news x Life can be very cruel some times, I hope you are both ok.
    My sincere condolences to you both on your losses x

Inky77 wrote: »
    Hello all, I hope you don't mind me joining you. I've been dropping by on and off and reading this board since early september (I too am pregnant, 11 weeks and due on April 30th) but I didn't want to join and post too early just incase I was wrong and it was just wind. :D
    But now I think I need to talk to others that are in the same boat. My scan is booked for the 21st of October so not long to wait now. I have experienced the usual pregnancy symptoms (nausea, tiredness, crampyness, backaches)but I am eating well & gaining weight. We moved house a few days after I found out I was pregnant which was a major stress to me and my husband, so we are hoping that everything is fine and that the scan gives us the confirmation and reassurance we both really need right now. 1. That everything is ok healthwise. 2. that there is only one baby in there coz my belly is fairly big for 11 wks! We are counting down the days! I also quit smoking when I found out which brings it's own set of emotional swings and roundabouts. But my mood swings and emotions all over the place. I've been crying alot over the fact that my mum isn't just down the road for me to go and see, phone calls are ok but it's just not the same. So if I want to go and see her I have to book a flight. My husband and his family are lovely, but there are somethings that I would only feel comfortable talking to my mum about. On top of all that I am somewhat nervous of the Irish maternity system and unaware of what will happen and how things work, not sure if I've chosen the right hospital and generally worried about everything. I've been told not to stress too much, it's not good for jnr, but I just can't help it. :confused:

Congratulations on your pregnancy Inky77 :) I think your concerns are perfectly normal and one's we all have to a certain extent like will the hospital we attend be good/will the staff take good care of you and your baby.

I think the best bet is to have a good chat with the midwife on your booking in appointment.
    Write a list of all the queries you have and hopefully that will give you some peace of mind.

It is hard when your family are not nearby, my parents live a 2 hour drive away. I know its not the same as having to get flights home, but sometimes it can feel like 20 hours away.

Could you book a visit to see your mum in a few weeks time? maybe have a private scan with her at home if that was possible to share the experience with her?

Good on you giving up the cigarettes too, it can't be easy but definitely the best choice for baby.
    The best of luck in your pregnancy :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Inky77 wrote: »

Hi Inky77, I am a first timer too, and totally understand your concerns - I am 10 weeks tomorrow and was shocked to find out yesterday that my first HSE scan is not until 1st december - a full two months away. I will be 16 -17 weeks then. And I think that is considered early here in Galway - due to the fact I'm 36, and my GP notified them it was a multiple pregnancy (I found out during the week its no longer the case :() and I also have an existing hormonal condition that means I'm supposed to be monitored closer during pregnancy. I suppose getting scanned a whole 4 weeks earlier than other mothers is their idea of close monitoring - gah!

I think in the early stages of pregnancy, we are on our own, but by all accounts, the care you do recieve when you get it, is very good.

Can you set up Skype for you and your mum to chat? I know its not the same as having her here, but its far nicer than being on the phone. I havent been able to tell my mum because she simply cannot keep a secret, so I have to wait until 12 weeks so if she does blab to people, it was around the time I would be going "public".

I can heartily recommend the Paul McKenna Stop Smoking hypnosis - I quit during a very stressful time in my life, and the CD made it so easy. I had tried all methods prior to that and failed. You dont go into a huge trance or anything, you feel aware the whole time, just nice and relaxed. It might also help your stress levels overall.

Neyite, would they not give you more frequent scans now in light of your recent loss?

I couldn't get over how long I'd to wait for my first scan last time, I was 22 weeks before my first appointment & scan!
    The letter my GP sent to the hospital 'went missing' 3 times! I ended up going for an early (private) scan for peace of mind instead.

Neyite, would they not give you more frequent scans now in light of your recent loss?

I couldn't get over how long I'd to wait for my first scan last time, I was 22 weeks before my first appointment & scan!
    The letter my GP sent to the hospital 'went missing' 3 times! I ended up going for an early (private) scan for peace of mind instead.

I think I will ring them on Monday. I got the letter friday evening when I opened the post after work, so they were long gone from the office I'd say.

Jesus Neyite, I can't believe you have to wait that long considering your situation. I'm appalled at the wait for ultrasound scans in public hospitals in this country. I know of a girl who went into hospital in Sligo at 30 weeks with quite heavy bleeding, and was waiting FIVE days for a scan. A girl I used to work with went in last monday, she was 23 weeks gone and had bleeding and other problems. They didn't check her properly, told her to go home. She went back in later that night and was told she was in premature labour, and there was nothing they could do.

I've studied medical physics and I know that ultrasound machines are far from the most sophisticated pieces of equipment available. Easy to operate, not anywhere near as costly as other machines to run. Even using an old machine to do a quick scan and check the vitals would make a huge difference to the quality of care some people recieve. It just makes me so angry that people who need to be monitored more closely and people who have unexpected problems have to wait for scans. If theres a problem, a scan should be conducted straightaway. In this day and age, I don't think thats a lot to ask.

It just really riles me up (plus im a bit hormonal today) :o

/rant

Shuwaaah that is really interesting to know about the ultrasounds, I wonder why it is then that the hospital will always tell you its too dear for them to scan more frequently :confused:

I had a scan in the early pregnancy unit at 8 weeks and asked when my next would be, I was told probably not til 25 weeks I think she said.
    I didn't query why, the midwife followed up by saying it was too expensive for them to scan any more frequently.

What I don't understand is they have 2 ultrasounds between 4 consultation rooms, the thing is plugged in/powered on every time I'm there, so with the exception of experienced staff to use it (which they do have as each time I was scanned my a different member of staff, all which attend all the appts).
    It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway there's me on a rant there too! Have the hormones settled down yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I totally agree about the ultrasounds. I personally think they should have them in gps surgeries instead of the fetal dopplers. How many times have women gone to gp, couldn't find a hb, stress and panic follows and a trip to er to get things checked? Costs a lot more for hundreds of people a week probably to go to the hosp than it would to get a machine in the gps. Ok rant over!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Awh Custard Cream and Neyite i am so so sorry to hear your news. I cant even imagine what ye are going through. My thoughts are with you both. x x

wow cant believe that about the scans. I am due my first scan on thurs and i will be 13+5 and thought that i'd have it sooner. obviously that is early compared to some.

• Advertisement

Best of Luck with the scan Suucee. I'm pretty early too for mine, i'll be 12+6days when I have my first one in the Rotunda.
    It would be brilliant to have them in GP's, it's such a scary time for mothers and you do worry all that time so being able to go to the doctors would put our mind at ease instead of waiting weeks and weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd imagine the price is more to do with paying staff and the current baby boom than the cost of the machine. Any time I've been for one to the hospital, it's been absolutely jammers and that's with just starting scans at 20 weeks+ :eek:

Some GPs do have a scanner. I'm lucky, mine does and I get a scan at every check-up. I'm sure if a medium-size surgery in Donegal can have one, there must be doctors in the bigger cities who have them.

12 weeks now and still feeling bloated and a bit icky in the evenings - I had none of this with my wee buck, bleugh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Inky77

Congratulations on your pregnancy Inky77 :) I think your concerns are perfectly normal and one's we all have to a certain extent like will the hospital we attend be good/will the staff take good care of you and your baby.
    I think the best bet is to have a good chat with the midwife on your booking in appointment.
    Write a list of all the queries you have and hopefully that will give you some peace of mind.
    It is hard when your family are not nearby, my parents live a 2 hour drive away. I know its not the same as having to get flights home, but sometimes it can feel like 20 hours away.
    Could you book a visit to see your mum in a few weeks time? maybe have a private scan with her at home if that was possible to share the experience with her?
    Good on you giving up the cigarettes too, it can't be easy but definitely the best choice for baby.
    The best of luck in your pregnancy :)

Thanks for the good advice. To be honest I came back the day after I first posted, saw Custards post and then Neyite's and I don't think I'm able for this board. I worry and I get upset too easily. Maybe when my hormones are more stable I will return to the board but until then, goodbye and good luck everyone!

Scan today and im nervous, excited, scared and tired all at once. Couldnt get asleep for ages last night. It was gone 1 o clock anyway. Then woke at 5.30 hungry. Thats the first time that happened. Was that hungry had to get up and get something. Hope that doesnt continue. Hope all is well with you guys.

Scan today and im nervous, excited, scared and tired all at once. Couldnt get asleep for ages last night. It was gone 1 o clock anyway. Then woke at 5.30 hungry. Thats the first time that happened. Was that hungry had to get up and get something. Hope that doesnt continue. Hope all is well with you guys.

Best of luck with the scan Suucee!
    I'm 13+1 now, morning sickness has really eased over the last week thank god, feeling a lot better, albeit more hormonal. Was at my gp yesterday and he was able to find the heartbeat with the Doppler, such a relief. Going for a private scan on Monday cos my partner can't bear to wait two months for a scan, looking forward to it, I'll actually be able to see the baby properly this time hopefully! Hope everyone's doing well :D

Good luck with the scan Suucee!!!

Thanks all it was amazing. Baby so lively looked like he/she was waving at us. Still on cloud nine. Sickness seems to be easing also was sick twice today but think it was nerves as was fine the past two days . So hungry dow past few days anyone else like this.. Tried to attatch a pic but not sure if it worked.

Awwwww!!!! dote :)

Glad your scan went well Succee. I have been starving for weeks now. I get hunger pangs at about 30 mins before each meal. I had to have a subway on the way home last night because I thought I would waste away on my 30 min commute :o

• Advertisement

Aw Suucee that's amazing! so delighted your scan went so well!
    Brill that the morning sickness is starting to ease :)

Shuwaaah I'm delighted to hear your sickness is easing off too, its so nice getting an appetite back again isn't it?
    Isn't it fantastic hearing the little heartbeat with the doppler?
    I was in the GP's Monday and wow it made things so much more real hearing how strong the heartbeat was!

I'm over the moon that the tiredness is FINALLY starting to ease as is the sickness, I finally feel human for about the first time in 2+ months!!

I also got my booking appointment - for this Monday! I'm really suprised as I'll be 14+2 then, I thought I'd at least have to wait another 3-4 weeks, not that I'm complaining!

Advertisement