Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slutty debs dresses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Irish 16 year olds, at least we can be guaranteed the dresses will be classy. And there will be subtly applied make up with and beautiful use of artificial tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    But who wants to be classy at 18? It's the age to experiment in every way. I wore a dress to my debs in 1999 (I was 19...a woman) that I wouldn't be seen dead in now..it wasn't particularly revealing but it was pretty outrageous and definitely not classy. I could do that back then. You get classy in your mid to late twenties but not in your early 20s and below. Did you not experiment with fashion as a young woman?

19?! Repeated a few?

du Maurier wrote: »
    19?! Repeated a few?

Average age to start secondary school = 12
    Takes 6 years
    Usually finished the LC around age 18/19, then the debs is traditionally held near the end of the summer a few months later, so 19 is the norm.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Fashion industry is well represented here and they know many tricks with rhetorical questions.The average parent is confronted with a sly cute desperate bunch.Money is all to them.Nothing else matters.The business is full of weirdos.

Average age to start secondary school = 12
    Takes 6 years
    Usually finished the LC around age 18/19, then the debs is traditionally held near the end of the summer a few months later, so 19 is the norm.

Oh, okay. It takes 5 years, no? Unless you include 4th year, which some opted to do. I think it varies in schools. I went to college at 17, most in my class fell into the bracket of 17/18 and maybe a couple were 19. I wouldn't have thought 19 was a norm, but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Going to a Debs Thursday night. I must eh, watch out for these dresses.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

No it's not, it's just fat.

Yeah nothing shrivels the dick quicker than the site of some fat ass kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

evry1sm8 wrote: »
    Irrelevant. Thats not what he said.

"Sexy kids" to me is simply not funny. And I think anyone who finds it so, is either a tad immature or not very bright.
    Just my opinion.
    I've explained this a few times now.

Prob been said already but I'm only on page 6 and some of this is funny but....

I'm guessing you didnt read it like EVERYONE ELSE on here.

'Stupid sexy kids' is read in a Homer Simpson voice like when Homer says 'Stupid Sexy Flanders'!

Jesus stop being so uptight, move on, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Of course, but I wouldnt say I wore "slutty" clothes.
    I thought this was the topic of this entire thread?
    Young women in slutty revealing dresses for debs balls?

When I went to mine I wanted to feel classy, and womanly- but not slutty.
    You can be attractive and beautiful in a dress thats not showing off flesh all over your body. Having a bit of modesty & not wanting to flash yourself needlessly is more attractive IMO. Dont you think?

But your equating revealing with slutty. I live in Spain and they don't walk around in jeans and jumpers all day long and either do I, they wear revealing clothing (mainly because of the weather, obviously). Does that make them slutty? It's a pretty prudish attitude if you don't mind me saying. And to call them slutty just because they show some leg and a bit of hip is not fair. And it's such a horrible word anyway and not a fair label for someone who's just wearing what's in fashion (look at any catwalk....revealing clothes everywhere).

19?! Repeated a few?

Smarty-bum.

Started school when I was 5, did transition year and my Debs was a few months after my birthday (in May). I finished school when I just turned 19. All students who did 4th year were 18 or 19.

• Advertisement

Smarty-bum.

Started school when I was 5, did transition year and my Debs was a few months after my birthday (in May). I finished school when I just turned 19. All students who did 4th year were 18 or 19.

I was being a Smarty-bum alright, wasn't I. Sorry. Please forgive me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

paddyandy wrote: »
    some time ago i caught the Luas and it was full of children and most of the girls were scantily clad and the young fellahs in a very pensive mood.That's too young with children trying to understand their bodies and feelings for one another.The Media is tyrannising the young with peer pressures.Surely life is difficult enough for them without have the Slut Culture thrust on them with all the coded language implicit in all areas of popular culture.Where are we going at all, low life is going to have a field day with no restrictions and lots of tears.It seems that way.

I bet "the media" or "slut culture" didn't stop you leering at the scantily clad young girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Why would this get me attention? :confused:

Besides, what I said was nothing like the above.
    If I *had* said that, and in CAPS too, then maybe I'd see where you were coming from

If you cannot see where i am coming from then maybe you should worry about how bright you are rather than me. When a fairly obvious ( as is evidenced by numerous posters telling you) joke rockets over your head and you chose to insult me, it says alot about your own intelligence.

My last words on the topic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OH LOOK AT ME I HAVE THE MIND OF SOMEONE MUCH OLDER THAN ME! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! :pac:

OH LOOK AT ME I HAVE THE MIND OF SOMEONE MUCH OLDER THAN ME! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! :pac:

Heh. It worked! So that's how you do it:pac:

A RIGHT smarty-bum. ;)

some time ago i caught the Luas and it was full of children and most of the girls were scantily clad and the young fellahs in a very pensive mood.That's too young with children trying to understand their bodies and feelings for one another.The Media is tyrannising the young with peer pressures.Surely life is difficult enough for them without have the Slut Culture thrust on them with all the coded language implicit in all areas of popular culture.Where are we going at all, low life is going to have a field day with no restrictions and lots of tears.It seems that way.

But I don't consider these young women to be children. Many of them will be moving out of their parents house and going to college. They're moving out of the peer pressure stage and becoming women.

This is the kind of thing you do growing up. I look back at some of the stuff I wore and I cringe. You grow up and move on. You don't become a pole dancer or stripper just because you showed some boob at your debs.

And anyway, have you seen these dresses? What are you basing your opinion on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Donahg

Lots of people are asking for photos, Here is an idea of the style of dress the OP is talking about www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/womensclothes/2394186

Donahg wrote: »
    Lots of people are asking for photos, Here is an idea of the style of dress the OP is talking about www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/womensclothes/2394186

Are you sure it's what they're talking about? It's not very revealing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think the dress is horrible, it's not revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

MugMugs wrote: »
    You sound ideal. I've got a rusty shears if you want a shot!

I hazard a guess that your shears is rusty from lack of use or perhaps some damp got into the shrink wrap thats never been taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Very disappointing thread, I had such high hopes for it too... I'm taking my roll of toilet paper and leaving.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Oh sweet baby jebus..............MY EYES:eek::eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

But I don't consider these young women to be children. Many of them will be moving out of their parents house and going to college. They're moving out of the peer pressure stage and becoming women.

This is the kind of thing you do growing up. I look back at some of the stuff I wore and I cringe. You grow up and move on. You don't become a pole dancer or stripper just because you showed some boob at your debs.

And anyway, have you seen these dresses? What are you basing your opinion on?

Did you see them? no more than 13 still children?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Did you see them? no more than 13 still children?

I have no idea what that last bit means.

Any chance of a clear up post?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Stupid suggestive dresses on kids, given perverts like me ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭evry1sm8

Not as slutty as I had in mind, its rotten though!

But your equating revealing with slutty. I live in Spain and they don't walk around in jeans and jumpers all day long and either do I, they wear revealing clothing (mainly because of the weather, obviously). Does that make them slutty? It's a pretty prudish attitude if you don't mind me saying. And to call them slutty just because they show some leg and a bit of hip is not fair. And it's such a horrible word anyway and not a fair label for someone who's just wearing what's in fashion (look at any catwalk....revealing clothes everywhere).

There are reasons they are wearing little clothes in Spain.
    There's no reason to wear an overly revealing dress to a debs in Ireland.

I was only using the word "slutty" because thats what the topic was, someone else put it out there.

This is more what I had in mind...

http://photos.momlogic.com/galleries/27_slutty_prom_dresses
    1st page, page 32, 35, 36, 39, 49...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Iomib wrote: »
    I am very worried about the styles of debs dress that are becoming popular.

How are you on the Middle East ?

Advertisement