Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden NFL 12

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think we need to make a decision on this fairly quickly while we have some momentum otherwise g'em will get side tracked with other issues.

The way I see it we have the below options

1) Stay as we are in one madden thread
    2) Stay in the AF forum and plaster in with Madden threads
    3) Get a forum in games (we'll have our own mod/mods I presume)
    4) Move to a different forum.

We are not going to get an A sub-forum lads.

For me I vote games, but we still keep our Madden 12 thread going and we add a link to our sigs of the new forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Raoul

I agree with Heli, I think that we should decide in the today or tomorrow so we can get things moving with whatever choice.

1) Stay as we are in one madden thread - Too messy
    2) Stay in the AF forum and plaster in with Madden threads - Threads will be locked
    3) Get a forum in games (we'll have our own mod/mods I presume) - This gets my vote. Sigs in our names to advertise, banter in the madden thread here along with game previews and the like. Basically organisation on the games forum.
    4) Move to a different forum/site - Its a Boards franchise
    5) Social group - a no for me, I didn't even know what they were until earlier in the week
    6) Thread here and a thread on LM - no for me aswell as the discussion section over there is awful

Edit - Could everyone post their opinions on these options and any other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

We would need to confirm we can keep the Madden NFL 12 thread open in AF. If we cant then i wouldnt want us to move at all. They moderators may take a dim view to us keeping this thread and having are own forum.

If we can keep it, lets create a forum in games.

I'd vote for SantryRed and Raoul as moderators.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd vote for SantryRed and Raoul as moderators.

The admins will make a decision on this, unfortunately there's a bit more to consider apart from who's good at posting.
    However if they havent been spamming other parts of the site... there shouldnt be an issue :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raoul wrote: »
    I agree with Heli, I think that we should decide in the today or tomorrow so we can get things moving with whatever choice.

1) Stay as we are in one madden thread - Too messy
    2) Stay in the AF forum and plaster in with Madden threads - Threads will be locked
    3) Get a forum in games (we'll have our own mod/mods I presume) - This gets my vote. Sigs in our names to advertise, banter in the madden thread here along with game previews and the like. Basically organisation on the games forum.
    4) Move to a different forum/site - Its a Boards franchise
    5) Social group - a no for me, I didn't even know what they were until earlier in the week
    6) Thread here and a thread on LM - no for me aswell as the discussion section over there is awful

Edit - Could everyone post their opinions on these options and any other options.

In order of preference from me :

6. - Kind of as we are but enforce scheduling and trades to be posted over there.
    2. - Not sure they would get locked but we should check with mods.
    4 - I can see the advantage of this, it wouldn't be a boards league but at least you would have a sense of taking our business elsewhere if we are not wanted here.
    1 - Agreed, messy but manageable.
    5- Don't know what this is but it doesn't sound good
    3 - Not interested in this in the slightest, I'd rather setup on IG than do this.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Absolutely agree with what Dave says above about keeping the thread open

I would be in favour of continuing as we are, one thread in Madden for a number of reaons:
    - we are unlikely to attract many new members, but any chance we have is as we are
    - we need to get at least to 32 before we move. If we move before then our chances of getting to 32 are much reduced
    - come Madden 13 we definitely want to be active in an AF thread, guys see all the banter and think yep, I'll give this a go
    - definitely do not put more threads in the AF forum. I got dogs abuse (some from a AF Admin !) a couple of years ago trying to get guys playing leagues through the Madden thread because I was told basically it was only for discssing the game :confused:

Also would agree with Raoul and Santry as mods if we go down the line of the Games forum

Whatever happens, I hope that people persevere with the league and don't give up. :( That would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Regarding Social Groups, it's basicly like a private forum that isn't so private. With threads and posts and pictures as normal.

Have a look at the laughing gnome or Seedyville.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raoul wrote: »
    Whatever happens, I hope that people persevere with the league and don't give up. :( That would be awful.

It's something I'd have to think long and hard about to be honest.

I'm getting the impression we're just not wanted and in any other walk of life I'd simply take my business elsewhere if I got that impression.

Paully D wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the online franchise completely decline now because of the ridiculous decision to have a sub-forum in games or nothing at all!

If somebody leaves the league just because they have to go outside the AF forum to post about it, then are they really the people you want to have in it? Out of the 22 here, surely nobody only has 100% posts in AF and ignores the rest of boards?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Lads, I think it's very important not to go off on one on g'em she's a fairly new admin so we shouldn't be treating this as solely her decision

g'em being a new Admin is inconsequential, she had brought this request to the Admin forum and it has been discussed, at length, by all the Admin team.
    She speaks on behalf of us and has put a lot of time and effort into it.
    The decision was reached by ALL of us and is in the best interest of the site as a whole.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Well she is not helping herself with some of her comments and her most recent comment seems to me a little patronising, given that is has been shown that there is zero interest in AF over there.

Good to know her time has been well spent. :/

Beruthiel wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by that?

Lads, I think it's very important not to go off on one on g'em she's a fairly new admin so we shouldn't be treating this as solely her decision

g'em being a new Admin is inconsequential, she had brought this request to the Admin forum and it has been discussed, at length, by all the Admin team.
    The decision was reached by ALL of us and is in the best interest of the site as a whole.
    Well she is not helping herself with some of her comments and her most recent comment seems to me a little patronising, given that is has been shown that there is zero interest in AF over there.

I don't understand the need for this post its antagonizing to group who feel in a whole frustrated. Emotions are running high. Some people post in frustration and may not convey everything. This post just makes it worse.

We trying to discuss how to go forward. Not to dwell on a single post that was posted straight after a decision we were all disappointed with.

Beruthiel, I didnt mean to be-little what g'em is doing, all i was saying is that as a new admin she may be leaning on the other admins for assistance (i know i leaned on my fellow mods when i was new to the mod role and frankly i dont care to estimate the stuff the admins are dealing with) and that we shouldnt be giving her a hard time solely because she's the one interacting with us.

We are aware that this is a group admin decision and not just down to one admin.
    Not sure what you mean by that?

I don't understand the need for this post its antagonizing to group who feel in a whole frustrated. Emotions are running high. Some people post in frustration and may not convey everything. This post just makes it worse.

We trying to discuss how to go forward. Not to dwell on a single post that was posted straight after a decision we were all disappointed with.
    ]

Lads, we all post here in our free time, the mods, cmods and admins etc do a whole lot of stuff on a volunteer basis so lets take that into account when replying. I think g'em has given a lot of time to this thread over the last few days and we dont see what else she has been doing with the other admins behind the scenes.

We have our answer, now as a community we need to move forward with what's best.

Totally uncalled for post! I think we have been fair in our discussions, we appreciate the time and effort she put it, it was mentioned numerous times. She got back to us really quickly, which was a great help. :confused: Don't see why you needed to say anything, we know it wasn't just her decision and it was discussed by the Admin team. We have accepted your decision, we aren't happy with it but have accepted.

Just picking two posts without context. Nobody is blaming her and Helimachopter was stating exactly what you said.
    :(

McG, would you be around tonight or Monday night or do you want me to temp leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

As a new member of the league I can say there is absolutely no chance I would've joined if this was in the games forum. The only reason I joined was I check all the threads here (I do that in very few other places) and saw that it looked like a bit of fun. If it was in games I wouldn't even know there was a boards league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

matthew8 wrote: »
    As a new member of the league I can say there is absolutely no chance I would've joined if this was in the games forum. The only reason I joined was I check all the threads here (I do that in very few other places) and saw that it looked like a bit of fun. If it was in games I wouldn't even know there was a boards league.
    I agree.

Guys I think we've said everything we can say, lets leave it be now. We need to keep this thread going with previews/reviews/post match banter.

Lets use a new forum under games for the awkard organiztional aspects of the franchise and for discussion of Defensive schemes/ Offensive schemes. I've already written a few guides up on controlling the linebacker and how to improve your Run D , was reluctant to post it on the madden thread because it would get lost.

Theres still a postive from this outcome. In the end were still boardsies. Its not us vs them. They've agreed to a forum. If we stay active on this thread and use a sub forum we'll get close to the same outcome has previously wanted. New people will look at this thread and will probably join just like Matthew and madalig and most of the people who have joined the league from this point.

Drama today ! :pac: I should really do some work

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Jesus I'm away from my computer for a few hours and look what happens. Have to say I have mixed feelings, I'm happy about the sub forum but disappointed that it's not in AF.

I would not like to use LM as I find it a brutal site at times, crashes too often. If we can keep this thread goin and the forum for the organisational stuff, i think that would be the best.

On a side note Falcons and Giants will play either Saturday or Sunday evening.

• Advertisement

Ok guys, are we officially happy to move ahead with the Madden forum under games.

As mentioned while this has g'em's attention i'd like to keep some momentum!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭daflood

Hi Matthew. I am online now, if you up for playing this game.
    Advance tonight to week 5? Sounds mad. I'm good to play the Broncos tomorrow from 5pm if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just played an online game there, the first since I've joined the franchise, and it will be the last one I play for a long time too. I was about 10 seconds away from throwing the controller off the wall :pac:

Glad I joined this franchise to be honest, at least it's played properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

daflood wrote: »
    Hi Matthew. I am online now, if you up for playing this game.

I'm just about to have dinner, is around 7pm okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭daflood

Yep. Thats perfect. See ya then.
    I'm just about to have dinner, is around 7pm okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Danger Dave you around tomorrow to play?

Paully D wrote: »
    Just played an online game there, the first since I've joined the franchise, and it will be the last one I play for a long time too. I was about 10 seconds away from throwing the controller off the wall :pac:

Glad I joined this franchise to be honest, at least it's played properly.

If you ever fancy a game hit up one if the guys from this league, usually at least one or 2 online and up for a game,

Playing randomers is just terrible really, either they are doing stupid things and semi cheating or else they quit when they fall behind.

Some wont even do that but will keep pausing it hoping you will quit first, really annoying experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If you ever fancy a game hit up one if the guys from this league, usually at least one or 2 online and up for a game,

Playing randomers is just terrible really, either they are doing stupid things and semi cheating or else they quit when they fall behind.

Some wont even do that but will keep pausing it hoping you will quit first, really annoying experience...

Yeah I'll do that. There's no way I'm going back to playing head to head with random players any more, I'd end up going mental :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

I've done that alot, most of the time the guys would message back that they are playing a league game or something!

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    Danger Dave you around tomorrow to play?

Tomorrow is no good. Ive got work, game of rugby under lights Boom! ( i get to feel like im in friday night lights :) ) then boozing.

Hows Saturday or Monday for you ?

Advertisement