Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

From what I've read and seen around the internets, Dan Harmon isn't meant to be the easiest person to get along with either, so I think they're both in the wrong tbh. Chevy Chase has apparently been a d1ck since forever, but I don't think it was right of Harmon to act like that in front of everyone. It's not exactly professional behaviour from either of them.

I do think the show would survive without Pierce, but it would still be crap to see the character go. Hopefully they can check their egos enough to work with each other if the show gets another season.

While I'm not conceived that this is anything more than an elaborate Aprils fool joke.

If its true then Harmon has came off the bigger dick, his replies to texts where people told him the onstage stunt was childish and inappropriate especially considering that Chase's family was in attendance were downright mean and insulting.

I don't think I'd miss Chase from the show but still as hard as he is to work with its not like no there isn't precedant for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Seems too coincidental for this to happen today. But then again, they both have a history of this, I think Harmon lost his job on the Sarah Silverman programme for being ehh 'passionate' let's say. There's a voicemail Chevy left going around too, but I doesn't seem too legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Seems too coincidental for this to happen today. But then again, they both have a history of this, I think Harmon lost his job on the Sarah Silverman programme for being ehh 'passionate' let's say. There's a voicemail Chevy left going around too, but I doesn't seem too legit.

If I were working on the Sarah Silverman thing I'd lose my job because of a few bottles of whisky and a revolver.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Seems too coincidental for this to happen today.
    But it didn't happen today - the story is from yesterday and it appears to be based on an article a month before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

How long did it take for people to notice beetlejuice?
    No, but I got the impression they butted heads often. Chevy is becoming Pierce though, storming off to his trailer. Does that make Harmon the Dean in that episode-scenario?Oh god, this might get much weirder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's not completely his fault, Dan Harmon made a toast in front of Chevy and his wife and daughter saying, and i quote "f*ck you chevy" with the whole series cast and workers there, and getting them all to join in chanting it. Chevy just walked off stage and didn't deserve this, especially in front of his family. Dan was warned that Chevy was difficult to work with before he hired him, and it's because of him that Community was even on the map in the first place. As much of a twat as chevy is, Dan sounds like a downright dickhead to me
    But that was in response to Chevy walking off the set during the shoot, forcing last-minute changes to the script - then attending the wrap party in spite of all that. Ken Levine (writer and showrunner, but not for this show) has more details here.
    Here’s what I don’t like about this juicy Hollywood story and what I do like. (Remember, I'm Mr. Objective.)

The don’t like part first. By acting like a total jerk, Chase perpetuates the stereotype that actors are all out-of-control ego maniacal monsters. The truth is 95% of them are consummate professionals and easy to work with. They may have creative disagreements with you, but this is a collaborative process. They voice their concerns in a respectful way, and although I hate to admit it, they’re often right. So he does his fellow actors a disservice... not that he gives a ****, I'm sure. No one who walks off a set in the middle of a scene has any regard for his fellow actors.

Now the like part. When showrunners clash with stars and one has to go, usually it’s the showrunner. This pendulum is starting to swing the other way. Charlie Sheen was fired from TWO AND A HALF MEN, not Chuck Lorre. And in this case Dan Harmon will surely prevail. Yay showrunners!

Chevy Chase will not get another show. And trust me, despite what he says, in another few years when the only work he can get is dinner theaters in North Dakota, the idea of steady employment on a network sitcom will look pretty damn good to him. But no offer will come. COMMUNITY only came along because then-NBC president, Ben Silverman forced Chase on Harmon. That won’t happen again. Chase has no name recognition factor anymore and the “Is he worth it?” scale is now pinning in the “no”.
    Ken's claims of being "objective" are, shall we say, rhetorical. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

bnt wrote: »
    But that was in response to Chevy walking off the set during the shoot, forcing last-minute changes to the script - then attending the wrap party in spite of all that. Ken Levine (writer and showrunner, but not for this show) has more details here.

Ken's claims of being "objective" are, shall we say, rhetorical. :cool:

But it still doesn't make it acceptable to publicly shame him in front of his family. Confronting him privately would be far less troublesome...

Would Chevvy Chase's absence be noticed though? I really don't think so. At the beginning, I guess he would have been their largest selling point, but now as the show has grown from strength-to-strength, do they really need him? I really don't think he can add too much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

At the beginning I thought Pierce was the a hilarious old fool, now he's just a strange hate filled character. Wouldn't miss him all that much tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't understand anyone considering Chevy a 'big name', I'd say Ken Jeong is probably the most famous cast member. Well at least the most recognisable. Chevy hasn't been relevant in 15 years. Still, it would be a shame to lose any of the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The question is if they do lose chevy who would replace him or would they,

Would a secondary character join up the main group or would they replace with a like for like old man, or would it then be Jeff be the old man of the group and slowly fall into Pierce's role,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

phasers wrote: »
    I don't understand anyone considering Chevy a 'big name', I'd say Ken Jeong is probably the most famous cast member. Well at least the most recognisable. Chevy hasn't been relevant in 15 years. Still, it would be a shame to lose any of the cast.

I couldn't name a single other actor in that show other than Chevy Chase. I assume Ken Jeong is Chang..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I couldn't name a single other actor in that show other than Chevy Chase. I assume Ken Jeong is Chang..

I could name some of the others but it would only be because I've been reading up on the show since I found out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Only reason I had any clue who he was because he was in Chuck a few years ago. I really don't like Pierce in the show anyway. So angry the whole time, not pleasant to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Maybe I'm too young to remember Chevy, tbh Joel McHale was the most famous cast member to me because I've watched The Soup for years. I just figured that since Ken has been in The Hangover and Transformers and a load of other stuff he's probably the most recognisable. What was the last thing Chevy Chase was in?

Regarding a replacement, I suppose Leonard is the obvious choice. Or they could recast him and just never mention it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I don't know whether it was Chase 'phoning it in' or whether the part was just never developed or written very well (I seem to remember earlier on this thread someone saying that Pierce and Troy were supposed to be the Beavis and Butthead of the group and Abed and Troy weren't supposed to be best buds in the original storyboards) but the Pierce character has always been of questionable worth to the group. I'd personally like if he was made into a darker character causing trouble - but they've backed away from that so many times now you're left wondering what is the point. He was far too old for some of his earlier storylines in my opinion.

It never occured to me that people wouldn't really know of Chevy Chase as an actor, though. Considering he was in all those kids movies in the 90s, and starred in so many seminal movies in the 80s.

Funny thing is, if you asked me to say who Chevy Chase in his hay day reminded me of, it would have to be Joel McHale!!!

Regarding a replacement, I suppose Leonard is the obvious choice. Or they could recast him and just never mention it :p

I would love it if Pierce turned up with his head wrapped up in bandages, saying he had "an accident" and was waiting for it to heal. Only to have a younger (10 years or so) actor underneath. The new Pierce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Was just taking a look at Dan Harmon's twitter. Really childish replies to any criticism of his conduct or the show. He's fixated on it, barely acknowledges the positive things people say. Chevy was also in the wrong but you would expect the creator to have a bit of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

He's always seemed to be like that on twitter tbh. I know he says he has problems with understanding social stuff, but there's still no need to use that as an excuse to be a d1ck.

Hilariously, Abed has been doing that on the show a bit lately too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Every time I read something he writes he seems like more and more of a prick. I can't stand this kind of overblown public faux-flagellation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Not surprised Harmon is a prick, alot of showrunners are tbh...Marc Cherry anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Not surprised Harmon is a prick, alot of showrunners are tbh...Marc Cherry anyone?
    Are you a showrunner?

MOD NOTE: Adolf Hipster banned from the forum for a period of time for abuse of another poster. OldGoat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

you should stick to your girly tween sh¡te like gossip girl.
    hey!its not that bad:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Was that actually Moby at the party?
    nah his name is JP Manoux but he was in How I Met Your Mother and the rest of the characters all thought he was Moby.When I first saw it (the HIMYM ep.) I honestly thought it was Jim Rash

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

God that episode was great. Except for Jeff and Annie, ugh.

I suppose the fact that I work with an Irish bloke called Kim made it funnier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hope he stays. I actually really enjoy his character most of the time. He, and Dan Harmon, can be total dicks for all i care. Just keep the quality of the show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I don't understand how people say they won't miss his Character, IMO his character is totally underrated, he comes out with some great one liners

Advertisement