Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

amacachi wrote: »
    Only reason I had any clue who he was because he was in Chuck a few years ago. I really don't like Pierce in the show anyway. So angry the whole time, not pleasant to watch.

Wait... hold the god damned phone!!! :eek:

Are you saying you had no idea who Chevy Chase was before you saw him in Chuck?! Thats unreal!! So does that mean you havent seen Vacation, Fletch, Spies Like Us or Three Amigos!?!?! And thats all just in a three year period!! There are so much more out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Skinfull wrote: »

Are you saying you had no idea who Chevy Chase was before you saw him in Chuck?! Thats unreal!! So does that mean you havent seen Vacation, Fletch, Spies Like Us or Three Amigos!?!?! And thats all just in a three year period!! There are so much more out there!
    I've seen tons of films but haven't ever actually seen any of the above. :D But I did know Chevy prior to his appearance in Chuck..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Skinfull wrote: »

Yup. Had heard his name but no idea what from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

As a child of the 90's I'd only heard the name before. Never knew of him really until Community.

Oh man... I'm weeping! No wonder he's not getting the love he deserves!!
    It's a 4 day weekend guys, at the very least spend it watching the aforementioned movies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Episode 14 just didn't do it for me.

It was an interesting concept for how to approach the show, there were some clever ideas employed.... and it was probably worth a shot doing.... but it just didn't work well for me.

I know what they were going for - a takeoff of those slow paced PBS Civil War documentaries. Sure, it mimicked those shows well - but it just didn't keep my attention. Maybe it's a cultural thing, not having growing up with the very American phenomenon that is PBS.

Those shows are low budget and meandering - not really suitable in my opinion to act as the template for an entire episode, especially given the rapid pacing and 100-ideas-a-minute usually crammed into an episode of Community. I actually kept expecting them to give up the format and for the real show to take over. My hopes were raised when Chang made an appearance.... but looks like his story is yet to come.

So much material seemed wasted (for example, the design of each sides uniforms) or undeveloped (the nurse Annie stuff). The over use of stills to keep with the joke just bartered away any feeling of tension, cohesion or an evolving story.

Then again, maybe I'm just overly critical since I stayed up late on a Thursday night and didn't get the action-laden pay-off equal to the paintball episodes that I'd been waiting for since last Thursday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

psicic wrote: »
    Episode 14 just didn't do it for me.

I enjoyed it.. there were a *ton* of visual gags.. some of them were fairly subtle, like the couch in the dean's office didn't have any cushions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was slightly rushed and would have been better as a double episode but I laughed a lot and thought it looked fantastic. The narrator was a great addition.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This was the best episode of the season for me by some distance. Pierce's marshmallow man suit was to die for.

I enjoyed it but it was kind of a slow burner for me. At first I was... eh wuh? but as it went on it got more and more funny. I ended up rewatching it from the start. Brilliant.
    "He was part man, part Pillow." The joke and the visual sight of Pierce in hat pillow suit was top notch.

oh and
    "Leonard likes this post"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Really enjoyed that tbh, the pillow man was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

"Were you in The Cape?"

Pretty funny way to end the episode.

Changlorious Bastards :pac:

Not my favorite of the season but very enjoyable. Lots of simple gags. Like the legal/illegal diagram for the pillowfight, back of the knees is technically legal but will be frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

amacachi wrote: »
    Changlorious Basterds :pac:

fyp

That was the funniest thing I've heard in a comedy this year tbh

loved that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I think the Chase/Harmon thing is getting a bit overblown. Chase has a history of feuds and a big ego and Harmon has a similarly big ego. The only difference is that I think Harmon is a lot more insecure than Chase. It'll die down soon and all will be well in the world of Greendale.

That TMZ video is annoying. The "reporter" is clearly baiting Chase in to say something newsworthy but Chase is having none of it. "It was the right thing to do at the time" is a Chase way of admitting a mistake in my opinion. Community is a way for him to be relevant again and to make money. I can't see him leaving.

Also, he really loved to flash his cash, doesn't he? I've seen him do it in two separate interviews, although here, I suppose, he was actually using it.

I really enjoyed last nights episode. I think Community is one of the few sitcoms that can have a heartfelt moment without it feeling forced or cringe-worthy. Probably because the characters are nicely fleshed out and the relationships between them feel real.

I loved the part where they were talking about the buildings and their names. "The English Memorial Spanish Building named after English Memorial who discovered Greendale while searching for a fountain that cures syphilis." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"We're not stupid Jeff... We know you made those hats sarcastically..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Loved it!

"That's enter-Chang-ment" - genius.

And the description of North Hall etc was brilliant. Really liked the way it was done. I agree that a double episode of this would have been better but you can't have it every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Loved Britta's photography. :)

eIjnD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That episode was so full of win, it exploded. Feathers everywhere.
    Easily the highest laugh per minute ratio of any episode this season.

Oh, and if I could pick anyone to treat lightly grazed testicles, it would be Annie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I would pay $200 for Craig Pelton: A Year in Paris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thought it was fantastic myself. Community is continually showing its ability to do variety and not be confined in the "usual format"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, absolutely loved it aswell, probably my favourite episode since the paintball episode in the first season

Mr E wrote: »
    Oh, and if I could pick anyone to treat lightly grazed testicles, it would be Annie.

I'd say she's caused more than a few.

I loved that episode and it was only afterwards, when reading this thread and seeing it was a mock of a PBS documentary/telethon, did I fully understand the bit with Troy and Abed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I loved that episode and it was only afterwards, when reading this thread and seeing it was a mock of a PBS documentary/telethon, did I fully understand the bit with Troy and Abed.
    Its a particular 9 hour documentary series on the American Civil War by Ken Burns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Civil_War_%28TV_series%29

They're on Youtube but there's a remastered version that's better that you should download, its brilliant, easily one of the best documentary series ever, it won every award going and now all the documentaries that imitate it are referred to as "Ken Burns style" documentaries, a really bizarre and interesting war and a great series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great stuff and I like their different take on showing the war. Worth getting the pause button out too for when they go over the designs of the Pillow man. Good jobs on the schematics and throughout the episode really. The show is several notches above any competition out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis.

Very enjoyable episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis.

Very enjoyable episode.

Also Dan Harmon was the sailor in the fountain in that painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Episode 15 got back to exploring character relationships - a change down in pace from the more zany recent episodes. I liked it. Pierce and Chang forcing life - classic. Annie being diabolical and sexy. Britta and a Carnie. Winger and Shirley's relationship exposed a bit more. The Dean trying to scheme. Troy and Abed back to...er... 'normal'.

Love the new catchphrase: "Won't change how mustard tastes."

I guarantee I'll use that inappropriately in work tomorrow just to prove it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Found it to be a very 'forced' episode.

Advertisement