Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

:P Whatever about the CAO handbook, some career guidance teachers have absolutely no idea how the CAO works! I asked the same question (about having the same chance if a course was further down your list) when I was applying and my career guidance teacher reckoned that by having my backup course at number 6 (after the 5 medicines), anyone who had it at number 1 would get it before me, even if they had 200 points less than me :rolleyes:

Can't really blame all the people who fill out the CAO forms wrong when that sort of information is flying around!

did you find out yes or no that they will get it before you? :s

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

:P Whatever about the CAO handbook, some career guidance teachers have absolutely no idea how the CAO works! I asked the same question (about having the same chance if a course was further down your list) when I was applying and my career guidance teacher reckoned that by having my backup course at number 6 (after the 5 medicines), anyone who had it at number 1 would get it before me, even if they had 200 points less than me :rolleyes:

Can't really blame all the people who fill out the CAO forms wrong when that sort of information is flying around!

Also doesn't help that the information 99% of students actually need from the CAO handbook is spread over 26 pages, and is written as if it's some sort of constitutional law.. The important info isn't exactly jumping off the page at you.

They could at least summarise the key points in a few short sentences and have that as the start page! Also the F.A.Q page is utter tripe.

Bunch of feckless eejits!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

hollingr wrote: »
    Also doesn't help that the information 99% of students actually need from the CAO handbook is spread over 26 pages, and is written as if it's some sort of constitutional law.. The important info isn't exactly jumping off the page at you.

They could at least summarise the key points in a few short sentences and have that as the start page! Also the F.A.Q page is utter tripe.

Bunch of feckless eejits!

Strongly worded letter time ;)

I think i'll wait till after I get a place to moan at them.

Don't trust them to apply "random" selection if they hate my guts! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Hey guys so the story is I did very very bad in hpat. With regards the cao choices surely I can take medicine off it.Im a bit confused as they will have my hpat results but I wont have medicine down. Im a bit confused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

did you find out yes or no that they will get it before you? :s

They definitely won't, read my previous posts! ;)
    Mr.Fun wrote: »
    Hey guys so the story is I did very very bad in hpat. With regards the cao choices surely I can take medicine off it.Im a bit confused as they will have my hpat results but I wont have medicine down. Im a bit confused

It won't matter if you have HPAT results recorded but no medicine on the form. However, don't take it off unless you're absolutely sure that you won't get it, if you're just reading points predictions they're rarely completely accurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Confused about what exactly? You can take medicine off, and then that's it. They'll still have your hpat score, but it won't make any difference to anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't take it off.
    If you don't get the points for it, it won't affect anything, but you never know, there is a chance you might do outstandingly well in the Leaving and then you'd be rightly sick if you had taken Medicine off your list of courses.
    It won't do you any damage to leave it there.

If you are 100% sure your hpat isn't good enough (under 165 or so) and you don't have space for other courses you might like to do, there is no harm in changing things around. Maybe even just take off trinity and other high score colleges and leave one or two of the lower ones just in case.

It all depends on what other courses are you interested in, and how likely you are to get those other courses based on your points expectations etc.. If everything you want to do fits on the form as it is now, I wouldn't change anything.

If you are 100% sure your hpat isn't good enough (under 165 or so) and you don't have space for other courses you might like to do, there is no harm in changing things around.

I wouldn't be specific and give 165 as a cut off point tbh, you don't want people coming back here in August and saying "people on boards said under 165 had no chance so I took it off and I would have got it!!" etc :P

165 + 565 = 730 ...2 points more than what would have got in last year, and yes, aiming for just a 2 point rise is very optimistic, but you can't rule something like that out.

Better to leave it on "just in case", even if the chances are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

How about 155 :P :pac:

I wouldn't be specific and give 165 as a cut off point tbh, you don't want people coming back here in August and saying "people on boards said under 165 had no chance so I took it off and I would have got it!!" etc :P

165 + 565 = 730 ...2 points more than what would have got in last year, and yes, aiming for just a 2 point rise is very optimistic, but you can't rule something like that out.

Better to leave it on "just in case", even if the chances are slim.

That's why I said only take off the higher points colleges like Trinity and leave the lower ones! But still I agree, wouldn't take anyone's word with regards a cut off.. we can still hold onto a distant dream of a drop this year. :p

No harm of leaving a few med courses on your CAO regardless of your hpat points, but if you are below 165 realistically your chances are very slim and you should be entirely prepared for the outcome of not getting in and have other options fully explored!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Hi guys thanks for all the help.You see the most combined points I can get now is 705 and thats only if I get 625 points! Im pretty sure it wont be enough. I think I will take it off my cao. Again THANK YOU for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

737 doesn't mean i'm in.. I only applied to RCSI/UCD/TCD :confused:

I have an interview monday for mature entry and still have to do bio and chem for the l.c. Still about 12 chapters left to cover in biology before I even start revising/learning stuff off.. Going to be a tough few weeks!!

Why don't you put down UCC and NUIG now? On the change of mind? :)

Why don't you put down UCC and NUIG now? On the change of mind? :)

ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

as far as I know, you can't add restricted entry courses at this stage! :p

Also for reasons of day to day living costs and some other responsibilities I can't attend a college outside of Dublin. Interview went well in RCSI for mature entry yesterday so I am expecting to have a place there, I'll find out within two weeks.

:)

Also for reasons of day to day living costs and some other responsibilities I can't attend a college outside of Dublin. Interview went well in RCSI for mature entry yesterday so I am expecting to have a place there, I'll find out within two weeks.

:)

Congrats best of luck :)

I think it is possible once you've got some down already and you've sat the HPAT. As far as I remember I threw in a 5th in the change of mind!

that is interesting.. thanks for the heads up. If all else fails I may have to "change my mind" about taking up a course outside dublin!

when does change of mind close?

edit: just checked.. 1st of july. plenty of time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

I think it is possible once you've got some down already and you've sat the HPAT. As far as I remember I threw in a 5th in the change of mind!

I think the deadline for restricted courses was earlier in the year though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Helloxoxo wrote: »

I really hope not! I added NUIG and Cork yesterday!

Paralysis wrote: »

I really hope not! I added NUIG and Cork yesterday!

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php this makes me think if you already had a med down you can put another down if you call them

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php this makes me think if you already had a med down you can put another down if you call them

You have to call them ?! This is not good... I just saw there was an option, so presumed I could just make changes!

Just read the handbook - not as bad as I thought - shall I just cancel the choices? Will they interfere with my others? I go to school in the UK - careers department don't have a clue, so there's no-one I can ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

You have to call them ?! This is not good... I just saw there was an option, so presumed I could just make changes!

Just read the handbook - not as bad as I thought - shall I just cancel the choices? Will they interfere with my others? I go to school in the UK - careers department don't have a clue, so there's no-one I can ask!

No don't cancel them, they won't interfere with your other choices. As far as I know Queen of Leon is right about being able to add other med courses once you have at least one down already.

Worst case scenario is that those choices aren't counted and you'll get your next preference after them - which would happen if you took them off ANYWAY. If you want them, leave them down.

finality wrote: »
    No don't cancel them, they won't interfere with your other choices. As far as I know Queen of Leon is right about being able to add other med courses once you have at least one down already.

Worst case scenario is that those choices aren't counted and you'll get your next preference after them - which would happen if you took them off ANYWAY. If you want them, leave them down.

Great, OK thanks :) Panic over...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Just to clarify. Will I be able to take medicine off my cao and replace them with other courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Just to clarify. Will I be able to take medicine off my cao and replace them with other courses?

yeah should be no problem.

Well it just says you can put it down but get in contact to confirm? I'd say it's fine!

I just rang UCD there asking if it was possible to do Biomed and Health Sciences or Radiography for a year (and presuming I get enough in the HPAT next year) and then skip premed. Hence being able to avoid the 8000 euro charge or something, but they weren't very helpful just saying 'there is no guarantee.' :mad:

Anyone out there have any experience of this or would I be better taking a year off next year instead of doing a year of the courses mentioned above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pros_medhead

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    I just rang UCD there asking if it was possible to do Biomed and Health Sciences or Radiography for a year (and presuming I get enough in the HPAT next year) and then skip premed. Hence being able to avoid the 8000 euro charge or something, but they weren't very helpful just saying 'there is no guarantee.' :mad:

Anyone out there have any experience of this or would I be better taking a year off next year instead of doing a year of the courses mentioned above?

Hi there, i am a current Biomed student, and have looked into it. this is an email i got from Carl Lusby who is the student advisor for Med, Biomed and international students in UCD....

I'm afraid there is not a definitive answer to this, which is probably why you were receiving the automated replies.

Because UCD offers a six year programme, students being offered through the CAO get offered this programme. Only after they have accepted, is a decision made on what students, if any, will be offered a five year place.

It would appear likely that you would be offered such a place, but there is no guarantee at this stage. Unfortunately it depends on how many qualify for the 5 year and how many places they decide to offer. This can be different each year.

I'm really sorry that I can't give you a firmer answer, as I know there are financial implications in all of this.

With every good wish, Carl

Advertisement