Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

hollingr wrote: »
    Everyone has their own reasons.. here's a few common things you hear thrown around when people talk about RCSI:

Since I graduated from there, I thought my opinion might be useful for those considering RCSI
    - High fees
    Not sure about this, but I know this is mostly an issue for overseas students.
    - RCSI only does pharma, med, and physio, it's a relatively small college.. so some might see it as less fun, less opportunities to meet people from different backgrounds, less social, no fun campus to live on, etc etc...
    In fact this is a bonus. When I go to RCSI anytime (and I am a surgeon so I am in there frequently), the porters still recognise me. You stop and always have a chat. Its the same with everyone there, a very friendly place. The multinational nature of RCSI actually means you meet more people from different backgrounds. The social life is very good also as a result of the friendly smaller size.
    - Less 'prestige' as a degree compared to say, TCD
    Probably the opposite. On an international stage, RCSI is probably the only Irish medical school that people have heard about. Plus, they run colleges in Malaysia and Bahrain. For surgery, it also carries great prestige.
    - Perceived as being full of spoilt rich foreign students
    Ok perhaps that might be true. No just kidding!
    I don't know if any of these reasons are legitimate causes for the low points.. It is what you hear being said about RCSI though. Personally I think most of the above is exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

While I do think that prep course offer some useful tips i.e, exam technique, methods for answering types of questions, even just a confidence boost ahead of the exam, I do think that the money charged is outrageous and extortionate. It's handy having heaps of sample questions so the online database is good. But the fees are just way too high imo. It's creating a serious partition between people whose parents can afford to pay out hundreds for these course and those who just can't. Hardly a good system that puts up another barrier to struggling families.

Really the best prep ahead of doing the HPAT seems to be having already done it. :p I know that's not much help for first timers but that's just the way it seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

I sat the hpat for the first time this year, I did a prep course and got 193 (94th percentile) . I found the course helpful but i do not think it gave me a huge advantages over others who did not do a course. The extra questions were useful but i think ACER's practise booklets were just as good. I would recommend going to the free seminars, they are good, and free.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nutellainmytum

Future doctors ;) looking for your advice. I'm freaking out about CAO. I've been changing my mind all through the year, from speech and therapy to med to primary & pysch to everything really. I'd finally sort of settled on psychology, particularly after sitting the Hpat. I'd a lot going on around the 25th Feb: health problems, pre's, family issues etc and was convinced I'd tanked it (I'd run out of time on each section). But it turns out I got a score of 182 and now I'm changing my mind again! Everyone I have talked to about it tell me to go for med...and I've warmed up to the idea yet again!
    So basically, what kind of Leaving Cert points would I need for Med in UCC? I'd prefer to go there... Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aisling95

I sat the hpat for the first time this year, I did a prep course and got 193 (94th percentile) . I found the course helpful but i do not think it gave me a huge advantages over others who did not do a course. The extra questions were useful but i think ACER's practise booklets were just as good. I would recommend going to the free seminars, they are good, and free.

Hope this helps :)

I'm in no way saying that I'm doubting your hpat score or anything, but I got 194 in the hpat which was in the 93rd percentile for me. Can you get different percentiles depending on which sections you did best in? Haha, I always thought that Acer were shifty enough:eek:!

As well just on the topic of of prep courses, this was my first time doing the hpat, and I didn't bother doing a course. I didn't really do any preparation until a couple of days before but I thought that the booklets were good for getting the timing right, even though I ended up running out of time on the day:o!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

Future doctors ;) looking for your advice. I'm freaking out about CAO. I've been changing my mind all through the year, from speech and therapy to med to primary & pysch to everything really. I'd finally sort of settled on psychology, particularly after sitting the Hpat. I'd a lot going on around the 25th Feb: health problems, pre's, family issues etc and was convinced I'd tanked it (I'd run out of time on each section). But it turns out I got a score of 182 and now I'm changing my mind again! Everyone I have talked to about it tell me to go for med...and I've warmed up to the idea yet again!
    So basically, what kind of Leaving Cert points would I need for Med in UCC? I'd prefer to go there... Cheers :D

Ahm OK. I think minimum med point are gonna be 736 this year, with the honours maths bonus. Probably for NUIG. For UCC, you'll probably be looking closer to 740. So with your HPAT, you'll be needing somewhere between 580-600 points :/ I'm afraid.

Do you have honours maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

kevhall9 wrote: »
    Ahm OK. I think minimum med point are gonna be 736 this year, with the honours maths bonus. Probably for NUIG. For UCC, you'll probably be looking closer to 740. So with your HPAT, you'll be needing somewhere between 580-600 points :/ I'm afraid.

Do you have honours maths?

There is no basis for you to say that with any level of confidence. A 12 point increase in NUIG would be the biggest increase in any college since the hpat came in, and is highly unlikely considering the hpat results have stagnated this year. Once you are over 550 the maximum effect of honours maths bonus is 5 points, also once you are in and around 550 the odds of hons maths being in your 6 best diminishes greatly..

A lot depends on how the bell curve for maths changes this year due project maths..

The increase could be negligible, or more likely in the 5~ point range, give or take a few points. I could be wrong of course, so take my prediction with a pinch of salt, just as you should anyone else's.

Reference points since hpat came in:

College......2009.........2010...........2011
    Cork..........715...10.....725.......8....733*
    UCD..........719....6......725......10....735
    galwy........712*..5......719.......9....728*
    RCSI.........715*..6.......721.....11....732
    Trinity.......724*..7......731*.....8.....739*

Just because points have been going up 7-8 each year, doesn't mean it will continue to do so indefinitely. People had the same attitude towards property prices in Ireland.. look where that got us! Thankfully in this case, if this bubble bursts, everyone will be happy! :D

aisling95 wrote: »
    I'm in no way saying that I'm doubting your hpat score or anything, but I got 194 in the hpat which was in the 93rd percentile for me. Can you get different percentiles depending on which sections you did best in? Haha, I always thought that Acer were shifty enough:eek:!

As well just on the topic of of prep courses, this was my first time doing the hpat, and I didn't bother doing a course. I didn't really do any preparation until a couple of days before but I thought that the booklets were good for getting the timing right, even though I ended up running out of time on the day:o!

Sorry my score was 196, 94th percentile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nerd1

Does anyone know what books would be usefull to read for hpat prep. Maybe something like on critical thiking ,
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Shhhh just throw those 2 extra points my way. (Nobody will know;))

And while I am at it, is there anyone who plans on taking the year off next year? If I get a place for Medicine in Galway next year I am dead set on deferring it. I live in Dublin so with the added expense of accommodation and all, I reckon that trying to get a job for the year would be a good shout :P Anyone feel that they would be in the same boat? And does anyone out there know what it is like trying to get accommodation close to the campus in NUIG? Typical inquisitive me as always ;) Cheeeeeeeers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I thought they were fairly strict on deferrals for Medicine courses? Thats what our school was told anyway. Because its in such high demand unless you have an extremely good reason as to why you shouldnt take it up straight away. I know money's an excellent reason but just thought I'd let you know. As this is my second time round if I get offered a place anywhere I'll be straight on the bus there, accomodation or not :P haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aisling95

O right, haha that makes a lot more sense! I was freaking out that there had been some mistake with my score:D!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I thought they were fairly strict on deferrals for Medicine courses? Thats what our school was told anyway. Because its in such high demand unless you have an extremely good reason as to why you shouldnt take it up straight away. I know money's an excellent reason but just thought I'd let you know. As this is my second time round if I get offered a place anywhere I'll be straight on the bus there, accomodation or not :P haha

I think it is all the same no matter the course. We were told that you just tick a box in the cao when the offers come out, no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

I think it is all the same no matter the course. We were told that you just tick a box in the cao when the offers come out, no questions asked

I think you have to have a very good reason to defer though because last year a friend of mine wanted to defer to take a year out and she looked into it and they didn't think it'd be possible, she didn't end up gettin med in the end so maybe she would have been able to defer, but they didn't think she would be

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/features/all-you-need-to-know-about-deferring-a-place-1459543.html

Medicine is different according to our career guidance teacher. Something about them not wanting place for the next year taken up. For every other course its a lot easier but for Medicine they dont let everyone who wants to defer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Medicine is different according to our career guidance teacher. Something about them not wanting place for the next year taken up. For every other course its a lot easier but for Medicine they dont let everyone who wants to defer.

+1

You need to have a reason for seeking the referral.

"Exceptional circumstances" is the phrase that comes to mind iirc.

Sorry, I was badly informed.

CAO:
    If you receive an offer of a place and you wish to defer
    taking up the place for one year, you must seek the
    agreement of the appropriate HEI. Such agreement is not
    guaranteed and is totally at the discretion of the
    appropriate HEI.
    In general, the position of the various HEIs is as set out
    below. However, if you wish to defer an offer of a place,
    you are strongly urged to check direct, and well in
    advance, with the Admissions Offices of the
    appropriate HEIs about the conditions under which
    deferred entry might be granted.
    All HEIs will consider applications for deferred entry.
    In the case of the following courses, application for
    deferred entry will be considered only in exceptional
    circumstances :
    Dun Laoghaire I.A.D.T.:
    All Courses.
    University of Limerick:
    LM101

Hope this answers some quesions

Not to sound pessimistic in this thread especially, but the endless f*****g rules about getting into medicine are complete bollax. What makes medicine so special that you cannot just defer a place like any other course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Not to sound pessimistic in this thread especially, but the endless f*****g rules about getting into medicine are complete bollax. What makes medicine so special that you cannot just defer a place like any other course?
    One word. Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

can anybody recommend any of those books that would help for section 2 ?:D
    like ones that make you more "emotionally aware"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jammiedodge

Hi, is anyone willing to create a poll on combined scores that people applying for medicine have (or expect to have roughly with their leaving cert)? I would do it myself, but i'm new to boards and trying to figure things out. I'm guessing a new thread must be created to add a poll.
    (e.g. something like <732, 733, 734, 735, etc., up to >741 - because i'm guessing minimum points are not going to jump above trinity's points for 2011.)

I understand this would be of little or no indication at all as to the points of the overall medicine populace, but it might give a rough idea (very optimistic, i know) if we could get a decent representative sample over the summer (maybe people being able to enter up to 5 entries, one for themselves, and 4 scores of people they know - anonymously of course).

Not sure if this is even possible, or if anyone's interested at all (probably the main thing!) , but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. thanks.

Hi, is anyone willing to create a poll on combined scores that people applying for medicine have (or expect to have roughly with their leaving cert)? I would do it myself, but i'm new to boards and trying to figure things out. I'm guessing a new thread must be created to add a poll.
    (e.g. something like <732, 733, 734, 735, etc., up to >741 - because i'm guessing minimum points are not going to jump above trinity's points for 2011.)

I understand this would be of little or no indication at all as to the points of the overall medicine populace, but it might give a rough idea (very optimistic, i know) if we could get a decent representative sample over the summer (maybe people being able to enter up to 5 entries, one for themselves, and 4 scores of people they know - anonymously of course).

Not sure if this is even possible, or if anyone's interested at all (probably the main thing!) , but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. thanks.

Leaving cert now, debating potential scores later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Not sure if this is the right thread but imma go ahead and ask anywho.
    Did anyone here sit the BMAT? I was just wondering about the science type questions they ask on the second part of the paper.
    Do the questions in this section adhere directly to GSCE science knowledge, and is their a prior requirement for non British applicants to be independently aware of any differences between their country's science's curriculum's and that in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

Ok so what if someone that REALLY wanted medicine didn't get it? Any other options for them? any courses similar? Surely its not the end of the world, right?:(

(coming from a student who also wants medicine:))

Just because points have been going up 7-8 each year, doesn't mean it will continue to do so indefinitely. People had the same attitude towards property prices in Ireland.. look where that got us! Thankfully in this case, if this bubble bursts, everyone will be happy! :D

Very true :) hopefully I'll do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ajireland95

It neny! wrote: »
    Ok so what if someone that REALLY wanted medicine didn't get it? Any other options for them? any courses similar? Surely its not the end of the world, right?:(

(coming from a student who also wants medicine:))

I'll probably repeat tbh, depending on how close i get and whether i feel that i did my best.

Could never repeat :o the stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ajireland95

There's less stress in repeating though surely. i mean, you've been there, done that so the unknown fear element isn't there anymore and you'll have had an extra year to learn for the subjects like chem and bio which are just rote memory tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

I'll probably repeat tbh, depending on how close i get and whether i feel that i did my best.

That is an option I guess but I just feel like trying to get medicine is like trying to win the lottery, very little chances of it happening because SO many people want it :(

On the bright side, I hope no one will need to repeat and will get what the course they want! Best of luck! :D

• Advertisement

There's less stress in repeating though surely. i mean, you've been there, done that so the unknown fear element isn't there anymore and you'll have had an extra year to learn for the subjects like chem and bio which are just rote memory tests.

Not necessarily. I repeated this year and I've been a lot more stressed during this years exams (and I very rarely get stressed). You know that this is effectively your final chance and that no matter what you have to at least do better than last year. Not to mention that the year itself isn't actually the most enjoyable of your life. I, and any other repeats I've asked, would advise people against repeating if at all possible. It's not as easy as going back and going over what you've done before, especially for Medicine. With Med you cant let subjects carry over from the previous year so I had to learn new English poets, comparatives etc. Next year there's a different Shakespearean text, the music course is changing...I know the majority will appreciate repeating isn't easy put some people seem to think its just a case of doing it, showing up to your exams, and getting the points.

Advertisement