Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

finality wrote: »
    I think I'm going to do electronic engineering in Trinity instead of medicine. Enjoy my place, whoever gets it! :P

It's important that people do what they like, and not just do medicine because they get the points.

Btw, I wish there was more people like you:) so don't listen to me because I have an ulterior motive.

Can anyone explain how they decide who goes on the 5 year course at nuig?

As I understand it, If you did two science subjects at Leaving cert level, then you can do the 5-year.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I think I'm going to do electronic engineering in Trinity instead of medicine. Enjoy my place, whoever gets it! :P

I used to have faith in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

kevhall9 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how they decide who goes on the 5 year course at nuig?

As I understand it, If you did two science subjects at Leaving cert level, then you can do the 5-year.

Not always, and that's not the only way, basically anyone who's done one or more years of another course can, and so they progress even if they haven't got the sciences at leaving cert level.

You're gauranteed a place if you've got 3 or more sciences (ie chem, bio, phys or ag sci) then some people who did well in two sciences are automatically given a place and then others are placed in premed and ask to transfer up. I think, but I'm not certain that you must have biology and another science if you've only got two, I could be wrong though!

If you're placed in 1st Med and you'd rather be in premed you can ask to transfer. Most people are allowed to change if they explain why they're choosing either choice! :)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Just quoting their stats under graphs

2012 143. 29th centile
    181 83 rd centile

2011. 143 26 th centile
    181 83 rd centile

2010. 139 29 th centile
    181. 91 st centile

So from that overall no change this year in h pat results In the higher percentiles which are the only ones that will make an impact on points

Those percentile figures can be a bit misleading.. just because 181 gets you 83rd percentile both years doesn't mean the results match for the whole 170-200 range.. There is definitely a drop overall.

They are purposely manipulating the data in the question weightings to get those figures to match up..

'Surprisingly' enough, they wouldn't give me the data from which they made the graphs! :p

• Advertisement

hollingr wrote: »

'Surprisingly' enough, they wouldn't give me the data from which they made the grapsh! :p

It drives me insane how little HPAT Ireland will release about the process!!! >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aftermanydays

It drives me insane how little HPAT Ireland will release about the process!!! >:(

If you look at the bar charts and actually try to count the number of people who got each score, it doesn't tally with the percentile data at all. Very suspicious.

Here's my tally from the graphs:

people in 174-184 range:.......370............383
    people in 184-194 range:.......242............214
    people in 194-204 range:.......119............139
    people in 204-214 range:.......58...............46
    people with 214+:................30...............36

The bar graphs are pretty dubious and hard to work from though. No point speculating too much, pretty certain these graphs are set up each year slightly differently to make them hard to compare year on year.

If you look at the bar charts and actually try to count the number of people who got each score, it doesn't tally with the percentile data at all. Very suspicious.

I'm not suprised sure even in my HPAT results last year the 3 figures added up to a different number than the total and when I rang and asked about it they told me that the figures for the individual sections are rounded and they don't count... Sure what's the point on even putting them there!??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rathman

I dont really understand about the whole science course switch over to medicine. Is it that you do a science course for one year and then request to change to medicine? Is there places allocated for this or do you have to repeat the whole CAO-HPAT ordeal again:confused: And how likely is it to get a place this way? Thanks :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boyne61

Several Leaving Certs will not get bonus points for hons maths as it will not be in their 6 best counting scores. This will lower the increase in points for med in 2012.

rathman wrote: »
    I dont really understand about the whole science course switch over to medicine. Is it that you do a science course for one year and then request to change to medicine? Is there places allocated for this or do you have to repeat the whole CAO-HPAT ordeal again:confused: And how likely is it to get a place this way? Thanks :cool:

You would be re-applying through the CAO just like everyone else - so you have the same chance as anyone else applying for medicine that year. There is no "special" switch over, but by choosing certain courses you will be allowed to skip pre-med and go straight into 1st year med.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Taking one for the lads ;)

We need more people like you in this society of wannabe doctors :p

Did anyone else give up school after hpat results? I'm studying non-stop for the last two weeks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Anyone knows the fees for each college for 1st year repeaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

spasmaster wrote: »
    Anyone knows the fees for each college for 1st year repeaters?

About 8 or 9 thousand I think?

kevhall9 wrote: »
    Did anyone else give up school after hpat results? I'm studying non-stop for the last two weeks :P

Don't burn out my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 surfaholic

Just out of curiosity, is anyone getting the hpat rechecked?

Also, has anyone ever heard of someone getting marked up from a recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

surfaholic wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone getting the hpat rechecked?

Also, has anyone ever heard of someone getting marked up from a recheck?

I can't see how a recheck would make a difference. Rechecks can result in a higher grade in the leaving cert as the papers are marked by humans, and humans can make mistakes. The hpat is just fed into a computer, I believe, and computers don't make mistakes. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 surfaholic

I can't see how a recheck would make a difference. Rechecks can result in a higher grade in the leaving cert as the papers are marked by humans, and humans can make mistakes. The hpat is just fed into a computer, I believe, and computers don't make mistakes. :P

Yep, I'm aware of all that. I was just wondering if there were any exceptions to the case... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

boyne61 wrote: »
    Several Leaving Certs will not get bonus points for hons maths as it will not be in their 6 best counting scores. This will lower the increase in points for med in 2012.

You can count it so long as with the extra 25 points maths is in your top 6, so anyone with a B3 up will be counting it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

Could someone tell me if there is any conceivable way that the points would shoot up so much that Galway would go up by 20? I'm driving myself mad here!

Could someone tell me if there is any conceivable way that the points would shoot up so much that Galway would go up by 20? I'm driving myself mad here!

Nope 8 at max in my opinion, I bet you a pint ;)

Feel the same. Going up by 20, probably not.

whats the deal with student accomadation in galway anyway, on campus or in the town. easy to find somewhere in a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Nope 8 at max in my opinion, I bet you a pint ;)

I really hope you're right - i'm going for trinity, and would bet my right arm that I will get 747 points!

spasmaster wrote: »
    whats the deal with student accomadation in galway anyway, on campus or in the town. easy to find somewhere in a month?

I actually haven't a clue but I hear it is easy enough to get accommodation ther, and from what I have heard they are all within 10 - 15 Min walk anyway :) If I get Galway next year I think that I will defer it anyway and try to earn some money to pay my way when I go the year after :)
    Paralysis wrote: »
    I really hope you're right - i'm going for trinity, and would bet my right arm that I will get 747 points!

Well done :)
    I strongly believe that Trinity will be at 747 next year I don't know why? just a hunch I have :P
    Some of us however will have to make due with Galway anyway ;) haha

I'll quite happily take any bets from people that want to speculate on the points going up by more than 10, for medicine in any of the colleges on CAO:

points going up by more than 10: 2/1 odds
    points going up by more than 15: 5/1 odds
    points going up by more than 20: 25/1 odds
    points going up by more than 25: 1000000000000000000000/1 odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

i hope none of ye get in :pac::pac:

there! i said it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kitty9 wrote: »
    i hope none of ye get in :pac::pac:

there! i said it

Let's leave it there as eternal proof of how childish/jealous/bitter you are.
    Don't bother posting in this thread again.

kitty9 infracted.

Advertisement