Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

lol i was joking hence the PACMAN face :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

kitty9 wrote: »
    lol i was joking hence the PACMAN face :P

Don't ever joke about Spurios. He's a very important person who spends his time moderating boards, helping to keep us safe against jokes like yours instead of enjoying the weather with some mates. He also happens to be extremely handsome, intelligent, and overall a clearly superior human being. I've heard factual rumors that all the ladies are in love with him too.

All hail Spurios

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Don't ever joke about Spurios. He's a very important person who spends his time moderating boards, helping to keep us safe against jokes like yours instead of enjoying the weather with some mates. He also happens to be extremely handsome, intelligent, and overall a clearly superior human being. I've heard factual rumors that all the ladies are in love with him too.

All hail Spurios

His description really matches mine.

INCEPTION.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Better be on your best behaviour kitty, red cards are serious business. You might not even make it through garda vetting if you get into medicine with an infraction like that to your name..

hollingr wrote: »
    Better be on your best behaviour kitty, red cards are serious business. You might not even make it through garda vetting if you get into medicine with an infraction like that to your name..

I'm so Jealous of you man, you're pretty much already in. No study no nothing just gotta wait until august....

• Advertisement

737 doesn't mean i'm in.. I only applied to RCSI/UCD/TCD :confused:

I have an interview monday for mature entry and still have to do bio and chem for the l.c. Still about 12 chapters left to cover in biology before I even start revising/learning stuff off.. Going to be a tough few weeks!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's hope nobody in the last few posts is considering gynae.:)

Are you implying that I am a 27 yr old virgin that doesn't know what a vagina looks like, and if so, what leads you to this conclusion?

Otherwise could you explain the joke because I don't get it..

spurious wrote: »
    Let's hope nobody in the last few posts is considering gynae.:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP-k2afopI9xFe8-vD9fpl7UJnwGevoQao58S_3IPFvBQNuA6f

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am 'she', not 'he'.

• Advertisement

ah, so you weren't actually directing that at me at all. it was just a vagiant misunderstanding

How very dare you refer to my generalia.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2jTcNAzXriSoeF8uxsDTHhHRqfWdXcB6JrW0Vvo8EP4ia4cf1uQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

spurious wrote: »
    I am 'she', not 'he'.

Mind well and truly blown. I think I imagined you as your avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

So just to clarify - what does everyone think the points for Galway will be next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Paralysis wrote: »
    So just to clarify - what does everyone think the points for Galway will be next year?

hopefull guess 736

Welcome back, Sauron.

finality wrote: »
    Mind well and truly blown. I think I imagined you as your avatar.

Welcome back, Sauron.

spasmaster wrote: »
    hopefull guess 736

College......2009.........2010...........2011
    Cork..........715...10.....725.......8....733*
    UCD..........719....6......725......10....735
    galwy........712*..5......719.......9....728*
    RCSI.........715*..6.......721.....11....732
    Trinity.......724*..7......731*.....8.....739*

I would call that more of a pessimistic guess.. An 8 point increase is just about the same increase as last year, during which there was pretty big inflation in top end hpat scores, while this year the hpat results are ever so slightly down.

You really think honours maths bonus alone can have that great an effect??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 8mile

Hey guys,if you want med so bad then why not go to budapest poland slovakia etc. to study it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

College......2009.........2010...........2011
    Cork..........715...10.....725.......8....733*
    UCD..........719....6......725......10....735
    galwy........712*..5......719.......9....728*
    RCSI.........715*..6.......721.....11....732
    Trinity.......724*..7......731*.....8.....739*

I would call that more of a pessimistic guess.. An 8 point increase is just about the same increase as last year, during which there was pretty big inflation in top end hpat scores, while this year the hpat results are ever so slightly down.

You really think honours maths bonus alone can have that great an effect??

Just a guess realy, hopefully they dont go up too much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

8mile wrote: »
    Hey guys,if you want med so bad then why not go to budapest poland slovakia etc. to study it?
    It's very expensive to study there, tuition fees are generally high to be taught through English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aftermanydays

I just received my CAO statement and change of mind form. Everything seems to be correct, apart from a couple of digits missing from my phone number. What else should I be checking? I am paranoid that on results day something goes wrong and I don't get in to medical school.:confused:

I just received my CAO statement and change of mind form. Everything seems to be correct, apart from a couple of digits missing from my phone number. What else should I be checking? I am paranoid that on results day something goes wrong and I don't get in to medical school.:confused:
    The biggest mistake people make is putting their choices in order of difficulty/points required, not the order they want them.

meant to ask about that spurious, so there is no competitive advantage lost by putting a course second? say if it goes down to lottery selection etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

meant to ask about that spurious, so there is no competitive advantage lost by putting a course second? say if it goes down to lottery selection etc..

No, none whatsoever.

On your CAO form, the highest choice that you have attained the points for is now seen as your first choice. Everything that you had ranked above it has no bearing, unless it comes down to 2nd/3rd/further rounds, where they come into play again.

It doesn't matter if it was your 5th, and someone elses 1st, whoever has the higher points will get it first, and in random selection it is completely random.

Thanks, one other clarification I need.. if you are offered your second choice, I take it you should accept it, and then if subsequently you end up having enough points for your 1st choice in further rounds you can then change over and take that offer up?

Thanks, one other clarification I need.. if you are offered your second choice, I take it you should accept it, and then if subsequently you end up having enough points for your 1st choice in further rounds you can then change over and take that offer up?

Yes. Once you are offered a course, everything BELOW that is now gone, you will never have the choice to get any of those, which is why its so important to put your courses in order of your preference for them, not their points. However, anything ABOVE your offer can be offered in a later round.

If you want the course that you are offered, you should accept it, as the closing date for accepting it is before the 2nd round offers come out. Rejecting it and holding out for a 2nd round offer would be very risky.

you > cao handbook

;)

• Advertisement

you > cao handbook

;)

:P Whatever about the CAO handbook, some career guidance teachers have absolutely no idea how the CAO works! I asked the same question (about having the same chance if a course was further down your list) when I was applying and my career guidance teacher reckoned that by having my backup course at number 6 (after the 5 medicines), anyone who had it at number 1 would get it before me, even if they had 200 points less than me :rolleyes:

Can't really blame all the people who fill out the CAO forms wrong when that sort of information is flying around!

Advertisement