Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

It neny! wrote: »
    Ok so what if someone that REALLY wanted medicine didn't get it? Any other options for them? any courses similar? Surely its not the end of the world, right?:(

(coming from a student who also wants medicine:))

I really really want medicine And didn't get it last year which was a blow! I went into human health and disease in trinity! I would strongly recommend it, it is much more medicine related then science( which I went into at the start of the year for a month). I loved the course work and it was all very medicine related for example we did embryology and human tissue types.The class is small which i loved as everyone got to know eachother well and the lecturers are lovely and look after you very well! I also repeated the hpat( the hours in first year are quite light especially in the 2nd semester which was really good for time to do hpat prep) and I hopefully will have enough points to get into trinity or ucd next year!

It is a horrible blow not to get medicine and took me a while to get over it once it happened but I have had a fantastic year and have made some amazing friends and am very glad I didn't repeat! After human health and disease you would be in a good postition to go into post grad medicine which works out as 8 years combined, only 2 years longer then ucd med!

If you want to steer away from med, I have friends in courses like dentistry, radiation therapy, radiography, physio and speech and language therapy who originally wanted med but love their courses!!!

Hope this helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

Can someone tell me what the minimum for medicine is in terms of leaving cert points and hpat? Thinking of repeating.. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

casperkiid wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the minimum for medicine is in terms of leaving cert points and hpat? Thinking of repeating.. thanks :)

Here's the trend thus far casper:

College......2009.........2010...........2011
    Cork..........715...10.....725.......8....733*
    UCD..........719....6......725......10....735
    galwy........712*..5......719.......9....728*
    RCSI.........715*..6.......721.....11....732
    Trinity.......724*..7......731*.....8.....739*

no one knows exactly what it'll be this year, but i'm guessing add about 5 points onto each, possibly more for this year due to bonus maths points.

To be 100% safe and sure of a place you would want in and around 744+, but 737+ should get you into some colleges this year (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

casperkiid wrote: »

Last year the minimum overall points were 728, in NUIG. The highest was Trinity with 741 on the first round offers, but this dropped in later rounds.

Technically the minimum LC you have to get is 480, but it would be very unlikely to get in with anything under 520 at the very least, and that's with a top HPAT.

Most people would be trying to get to 550, as after this, every 5 points are capped as 1 point, so the max you can get is 565 (600 points, and 25 higher maths bonus points).

HPAT wise, the range of results varies from year to year, but 170 last year with 600 points in the LC would just have scraped in. The aim would be to get over the 80th percentile.

If you have a read of this document, it will give you all the information you need. When the link opens you'll need to replace the stars in the URL with medentry, as boards has a censor on that word ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

I really really want medicine And didn't get it last year which was a blow! I went into human health and disease in trinity! I would strongly recommend it, it is much more medicine related then science( which I went into at the start of the year for a month). I loved the course work and it was all very medicine related for example we did embryology and human tissue types.The class is small which i loved as everyone got to know eachother well and the lecturers are lovely and look after you very well! I also repeated the hpat( the hours in first year are quite light especially in the 2nd semester which was really good for time to do hpat prep) and I hopefully will have enough points to get into trinity or ucd next year!

It is a horrible blow not to get medicine and took me a while to get over it once it happened but I have had a fantastic year and have made some amazing friends and am very glad I didn't repeat! After human health and disease you would be in a good postition to go into post grad medicine which works out as 8 years combined, only 2 years longer then ucd med!

If you want to steer away from med, I have friends in courses like dentistry, radiation therapy, radiography, physio and speech and language therapy who originally wanted med but love their courses!!!

Hope this helped.

Thanks for that! Sorry to hear that, at least, like u said, you benefitted from the year :) They're some great courses too. How many points are required for human health and disease in trinity and do you still need over 180 in the hpat to get into postgrad medicine after doing human health and disease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Hi, sitting my HPAT next year and I've come across the concept of 'speed reading' on the internet.

Do you think this would be a beneficial skill to develop for the HPAT? Is it tricky to get all the Section 1 questions read and comprehended within the timeframe? Thanks.

It neny! wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Sorry to hear that, at least, like u said, you benefitted from the year :) They're some great courses too. How many points are required for human health and disease in trinity and do you still need over 180 in the hpat to get into postgrad medicine after doing human health and disease?

Description of the course on qualifax is here. The points are at the bottom.

For graduate entry medicine, HPAT and LC do not matter, instead you have to sit the GAMSAT exam and have a minimum 2.1 in your first degree. There's a whole forum on it here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

oh I had missed this thread, disappointed I didn't see it till now. what points are people predicting medicine to be this year? I want to go to ucd, min 725 and average 735 last year I think? 740 this year ?

whatsec wrote: »
    oh I had missed this thread, disappointed I didn't see it till now. what points are people predicting medicine to be this year? I want to go to ucd, min 725 and average 735 last year I think? 740 this year ?

Slightly higher unfortunately, it was 725 in 2010 and 735 last year. hollingr's post above outlines the point changes over the last few years. The points this year are anyone's guess really, a rise is expected due to the bonus points for maths, besides that its very hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

Slightly higher unfortunately, it was 725 in 2010 and 735 last year. hollingr's post above outlines the point changes over the last few years. The points this year are anyone's guess really, a rise is expected due to the bonus points for maths, besides that its very hard to know!

oh yeah that's very true. Got a good result in the hpat so I should only need 540 ish points unless it goes up drastically. Fingers crossed anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Anyone know if a 2:1 in a first year degree would let you skip the first year in UCD ?

They take skipping on a case by case basis in UCD.. as far as I know, there is no set rules for who gets to skip 1st year.

From what I've heard from people in UCD now, is that they've tightened up on who gets to skip pre-med since it is basically free money for them and money is tight.

Best thing to do is email, tell them your situation and grades thus far and what you expect, and if that would be enough to skip pre-med.

spasmaster wrote: »
    Anyone know if a 2:1 in a first year degree would let you skip the first year in UCD ?

I got a 2.1 too! You werent in HH and D by any chance! Are you putting trinity first?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Yeah i was in hhd :). Stuck between ucd and tcd.

So am I! I love trinity but I've always wanted to do med in ucd! The only thing putting me off is the gamble on whether or not you can skip premed!

Does anyone have experience on skipping premed and is anyone familier with the procedure for picking who can skip it? Like do you have to do an interview or anything and when does it happen? Thanks so much:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

got 196 in my hpat and have to repeat next year cos I won't have the points... ffffuuuuuuu-

Why can't I just get med for being a general genius, if totall uninterested in English/French/Irish/Music/Loads of other absolute crap I'll never need..? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

kevhall9 wrote: »
    got 196 in my hpat and have to repeat next year cos I won't have the points... ffffuuuuuuu-

Why can't I just get med for being a general genius, if totall uninterested in English/French/Irish/Music/Loads of other absolute crap I'll never need..? :)

I'm sorry but, what?

First of all, getting a high score in the HPAT does not make you a 'genius' it just means you have a good aptitude and your way of thinking is well adapted to the HPAT, bravo.

But basically I think you need a bit of a wake up call. There are probably hundreds of people around the country who want med and are uninterested in certain subjects like English and French, but they are willing to make themselves interested in them in order to be able to study something they love.... its not about the college letting you in, its about competing with the people who want the same place as you really.

And also, in my opinion the leaving cert also tests your aptitude for work and if you arent able to learn six courses well in two years, how can you cope with medicine? You realise that you will have to learn a massive amount of information in medicine and being amazing at the HAPT isn't going to help you with that in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sugrue

hey so i got a 196 in my hpat this year combined with 540 would that be enough to get me in i didnt do higher maths and i now feel at a disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Sugrue wrote: »
    hey so i got a 196 in my hpat this year combined with 540 would that be enough to get me in i didnt do higher maths and i now feel at a disadvantage

Where are you hoping to go, or does it matter? That's a combined total of 736, which may or may not get you in, I'd say it'll be pretty close for Galway, but I'm not really sure if you have a shot for anywhere else, sorry to dishearten you. It will totally depend on how much the points go up by, and doubtless there will be an increase because of the bonus points for higher Maths. We can't really know how much of an increase that's going to be though!

This is only my opinion, I could be totally wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Nice to see you've remained humble :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Everything about your post tells me you're not a genius -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

if you're such genius, why didnt you take up a few extra subjects outside school huh? cause since you're so smart, it'd be no bother to you your grace.

Im definitely not a genius but I did do 2 extra subjects for my Leaving and got 185 in HPAT so hopefully that should be enough.

Sugrue wrote: »

outside chance for RCSI, bit better odds for galway. Best of luck!

I'm sitting on 737 so in the same boat.

The maths is probably going to go against you alright.. If you did hons maths you'd be over 550 and in for sure. I honestly think you will get in somewhere though with 736, there is every chance that Galway won't go up by more than 8 points, the hpat results stagnated this year so any change is going to be purely down to the bonus for maths.

At least you know if you do end up having to repeat that hard work will get you through, as your hpat is already right up there with the best of them.

Here is the cao points so far for reference, always worth looking at the trend:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

Hollingr - interested in your mathamatical theory in an earlier post where you reckon it will go up by about 5 points. did you consider last years canditates on 520 / 525 who a)had a good HPAT and b) who got a good repeated hpat score and are now using the bonus points - an awful lot more candidates are in the mix this time so i say more like 8 to 12 points jump??
    hollingr wrote: »
    outside chance for RCSI, bit better odds for galway. Best of luck!

I'm sitting on 737 so in the same boat.

The maths is probably going to go against you alright.. If you did hons maths you'd be over 550 and in for sure. I honestly think you will get in somewhere though with 736, there is every chance that Galway won't go up by more than 8 points, the hpat results stagnated this year so any change is going to be purely down to the bonus for maths.

At least you know if you do end up having to repeat that hard work will get you through, as your hpat is already right up there with the best of them.

Here is the cao points so far for reference, always worth looking at the trend:

Mad Shark wrote: »
    Hollingr - interested in your mathamatical theory in an earlier post where you reckon it will go up by about 5 points. did you consider last years canditates on 520 / 525 who a)had a good HPAT and b) who got a good repeated hpat score and are now using the bonus points - an awful lot more candidates are in the mix this time so i say more like 8 to 12 points jump??

ah in fairness, that was pure speculation, and very oversimplified, but statistically speaking the P(525+ L.C) AND P(Hons maths in 6 best) AND P(HPAT 180+) is quite miniscule in the grand scheme of things... but that could be wrong due to the many assumptions I made along the way, like not taking into account that people who get high lc's might be more likely to get a high hpat than the simple stats would suggest.

The other main thing to note is once you are over 550 the absolute maximum effect of honours maths is 5 points, and most people getting over 550 won't use honours maths in their 6 best.. I went into a few scenarios on this in a previous post. The higher you get over 550 the less likely it is to get anything from the maths bonus, and far more likely to only get a 2-3 point increase.

Time will tell.. I just did those calculations for fun! Have to take all predictions people make with a pinch of salt. An 8 point jump is just as possible as a 5 point jump, but my gut tells me the increases can't just continue to increase year on year at the rate they have.. there was always going to be points jump with the new system finding it's feet but now the hpat results have settled I think the increases will be less and less... but the hons maths is a curveball that is hard to predict. Without it, I'd be very confident of a sub 5 point increase.

edit: here's the original post in case anyone is interested... I made a few more discussing the ins and outs of the possible effect of bonus maths, but I seem to have misplaced em!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78534803

I follow your line of thinking - thanks

What is hhd?

hollingr wrote: »
    ah in fairness, that was pure speculation, and very oversimplified, but statistically speaking the P(525+ L.C) AND P(Hons maths in 6 best) AND P(HPAT 180+) is quite miniscule in the grand scheme of things... but that could be wrong due to the many assumptions I made along the way, like not taking into account that people who get high lc's might be more likely to get a high hpat than the simple stats would suggest.

The other main thing to note is once you are over 550 the absolute maximum effect of honours maths is 5 points, and most people getting over 550 won't use honours maths in their 6 best.. I went into a few scenarios on this in a previous post. The higher you get over 550 the less likely it is to get anything from the maths bonus, and far more likely to only get a 2-3 point increase.

Time will tell.. I just did those calculations for fun! Have to take all predictions people make with a pinch of salt. An 8 point jump is just as possible as a 5 point jump, but my gut tells me the increases can't just continue to increase year on year at the rate they have.. there was always going to be points jump with the new system finding it's feet but now the hpat results have settled I think the increases will be less and less... but the hons maths is a curveball that is hard to predict. Without it, I'd be very confident of a sub 5 point increase.

edit: here's the original post in case anyone is interested... I made a few more discussing the ins and outs of the possible effect of bonus maths, but I seem to have misplaced em!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78534803

I really do hope you get in - you contributed the most value wise to this thread... good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 butterfli

Leaving cert now, debating potential scores later. ;)
    Yay the LC is over! (for most people anyway) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

butterfli wrote: »
    Leaving cert now, debating potential scores later. ;)
    Yay the LC is over! (for most people anyway) :D

And A-levels YeeeeeeeeeeeE!

Judging from how they went, the most I could hope for is 756
    More likely worst case scenario would be 747...

Possibility for Trinity? I know that it is really hard to predict, but i'm thinking it'll be close, but I have a shot, right?

Advertisement