Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Complete and utter waste of time. It'd be as useful as doing multiplicative tables to try and prepare for LC Honours Maths.

To be honest, the HPAT isn't always about how logical you are but how familiar you are with the question styles.

I don't agree with that analogy at all, and from what I've heard anecdotally from high achievers in the hpat, the people that get exceptional scores in section 1-3 are the people that have always liked logic puzzles, sudoku's etc, etc.

If you can do the "hard" sudoku in say less than 5 minutes, you are processing information at a seriously rapid rate, and have a very high level of clerical accuracy. In section 1 and 3 of the hpat, your ability to process information at a rapid rate and clerical accuracy are pushed to its absolute limits.

Try do the hard sudoku in less than 5 minutes next time you have the Irish Times in front of you. It's really mentally tiring, in a very similar way to how the hpat is tiring.

I'm not saying doing sudoku's is going to magically get you a 200+ score, but calling it utterly useless is quite a stretch. It's a great habit to get into to keep your mind sharp, regardless of the hpat.

Also, it's a fact that people who do crosswords have superior vocabularies to those that don't.

Hmmm what were all those words in section 2 I didn't quite understand..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I thought I had a good vocabulary until that exam. Ugh. **** **** ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

200 is an absolutely exceptional score. By a rough estimate from the last 3 years graphs, not even 100 people have achieved that score each year, and there are over 400 places in medicine in the country.

Obviously I'm not saying that ye won't score well :) But with such a small percentage of people hitting 200, don't set your sights on that and be disappointed with anything less. Getting anything from 180 up gives you a good shot, even with 170 there's a chance.

Gotta be the best though, my self esteem is riding on it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

All is well! You can repeat every year until you die. So here's how many times you can repeat the HPAT (realistically):

80 years average lifespan in Ireland
    Subtract 5 years for actually studying medicine
    We have 75 years (74 if you didn't sit Chemistry)
    Subtract 18 because you've already lived that long,
    57 years!

57 ATTEMPTS AT THE HPAT!!!!! You'll get to 100th percentile eventually. Though I must stress that patience is key. I beg to differ if anyone believes it's impossible to study medicine. :eek:

I think my score will have peaked long before I reach 74 yrs of age :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

reznov wrote: »
    All is well! You can repeat every year until you die. So here's how many times you can repeat the HPAT (realistically):

80 years average lifespan in Ireland
    Subtract 5 years for actually studying medicine
    We have 75 years (74 if you didn't sit Chemistry)
    Subtract 18 because you've already lived that long,
    57 years!

57 ATTEMPTS AT THE HPAT!!!!! You'll get to 100th percentile eventually. Though I must stress that patience is key. I beg to differ if anyone believes it's impossible to study medicine. :eek:

You're forgetting that the HPAT could be gone next year;)

It won't be gone in the next decade, I believe.
    No alternative has been presented thus far, nor has the exam existed for a long time in Ireland.

hollingr wrote: »
    I think my score will have peaked long before I reach 74 yrs of age :(

We all hope so, for sanity's sake.
    Some people may need 1000 attempts to pass, other s10.
    I think the perceveirance will reward you eventually.

It won't be gone in the next decade, I believe.
    No alternative has been presented thus far, nor has the exam existed for a long time in Ireland.

Dr. James Reilly seems pretty adamant that the HPAT isn't the way forward, and he is backed by quite a number of doctors and other health professionals too. The HPAT is currently under review, so I doubt it will be here in the next decade, to be quite honest. Certainly not in its current form:)

Ireland has followed Australia and has contracted ACER to manufacture apptitude test papers. UMAT has existed there for over 20 years. Universities have complained about it as being inadequate for candidate selection. UMAT has recently began losing it's importance however, with individual universities applying different weighings vs. final year exams, but students must still pass it. As a result, HPAT may lose it's importance eventually, however it won't disappear no matter how many medical professionals are adamant in abolishing it.

• Advertisement

Ireland has followed Australia and has contracted ACER to manufacture apptitude test papers. UMAT has existed there for over 20 years. Universities have complained about it as being inadequate for candidate selection. UMAT has recently began losing it's importance however, with individual universities applying different weighings vs. final year exams, but students must still pass it. As a result, HPAT may lose it's importance eventually, however it won't disappear no matter how many medical professionals are adamant in abolishing it.

Just to be clear, the HPAT is not an aptitude test. As all people who sat the HPAT should be aware of at this stage, the HPAT stands for Health Professionals Admissions test. Only Section 3 bares a resemblance to the conventional aptitude test.

I never said that the HPAT would cease to exist(although, it is likely). I simply stated that it will not continue in its present form. Candidates, through studying materials similar to the HPAT, are improving the average scores year-on-year.

Acer have claimed the test is 'unstudyable'. Many HPAT candidates have disproved that theory

ap·ti·tude test
    Noun:
    A test designed to determine a person's ability in a particular skill or field of knowledge.

The hpat fits this definition pretty nicely actually :p

If you believe what a politician says, the joke is on you!

No matter what changes do or do not happen people will always complain and certain subsets of people will be 'unfairly' excluded from medicine, there is no perfect system.. just deal with what's thrown at you and forget the rest. Will it really matter to you what the system for entry to medicine is in ten years?? I sincerely hope not! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I think the most glaring problem with it is that we, who sit the exam in the year of our Leaving Cert, are up against those who have already sat the HPAT once already and don't have to balance practice with studying for the Leaving Cert.

IMHO, one should have to sit the HPAT in the same year of the LC... But I'm biased though :)

so what happens to people who sat the leaving before the existence of the hpat who got say 560? they have to do the whole leaving again? it just isn't possible to please everyone...

Then they didn't devote enough time to practising/ aren't suitable. (assuming that HPAT can be studied for and it determines suitability for Medicine, which is a big assumption)

It seems a tad unfair to me to pit someone with more experience and time to practise against a newbie doing the exam in the, arguably, most stressful year of their life.

But then again I'm just mad that I there's more competition :(

ap·ti·tude test
    Noun:
    A test designed to determine a person's ability in a particular skill or field of knowledge.

No matter what changes do or do not happen people will always complain and certain subsets of people will be 'unfairly' excluded from medicine, there is no perfect system.. just deal with what's thrown at you and forget the rest. Will it really matter to you what the system for entry to medicine is in ten years?? I sincerely hope not! :p

By aptitude, I didn't mean suitability to be a doctor, rather academic intelligence-sorry, should have been clearer!

However, the HPAT fails to choose candidates who are more suitable doctors. It is not doing its job. It is choosing candidates who work hard at the HPAT moreso. That's the point I'm making. It is a studyable test, but I can see why you think its doing its job. A lot of people are fooled into thinking that.

As for trusting politicians, I don't trust people I don't know well, and I don't know Dr. Reilly well enough to trust him!:) However, both he and Quinn are working on changing the HPAT and it is under review.

Hopefully it won't affect us Hollingr in 10 years! Here's hoping both you and I are happy come late August;)
    I think the most glaring problem with it is that we, who sit the exam in the year of our Leaving Cert, are up against those who have already sat the HPAT once already and don't have to balance practice with studying for the Leaving Cert.

IMHO, one should have to sit the HPAT in the same year of the LC... But I'm biased though :)

I know its unfair. I was in your position last year. However, do you not think its also unfair on somebody, for example, who was sick during the HPAT the first time around? Sickness on the day can and does sway your score. So, should they be denied becoming a doctor because of that? I missed out by a few points, yet was blessed with the L.C. score I obtained. I worked very hard all throughout school to obtain the points necessary for Medicine. Why should I be denied another chance to study it?

Your point does anger me, because it is incredibly unfair. However, believe me, I understand your frustration. It is the very fact that repeats tend to improve on their mark that suggests that the HPAT needs to be changed.

Now, I am curbing my worry and anxiety over the HPAT by eating an Easter egg:) Chocolate has a great effect;)

Then they didn't devote enough time to practising/ aren't suitable. (assuming that HPAT can be studied for and it determines suitability for Medicine, which is a big assumption)

It seems a tad unfair to me to pit someone with more experience and time to practise against a newbie doing the exam in the, arguably, most stressful year of their life.

But then again I'm just mad that I there's more competition :(

It's not a big assumption. A girl I know who repeated the HPAT increased by 80 points. Another lad by 50, another girl by 40. It's not hard to believe, maybe it's annoying to believe for you, but it's true.

Remember, I was like you last year. I was saying the same thing as you. I achieved a very acceptable mark which would have got me in with plenty to spare in 2009 and 2010, but the repeats did drive up the marks.

I know how frustrating it is:)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

ap·ti·tude test
    Noun:

I agree that there's always going to be complaints no matter what but the addition of interviews would be handy as it's a fairer assessment (in combination with the HPAT and LC) I might also say that the HPAT isn't an aptitude test for medicine no matter what anyone says. It simply isn't. I think the greatest example of this was when I sat with two professors of surgery (not to be named for the shame of it ;) ) who went through a full HPAT exam and failed it miserably. My father is a doctor too and, without wanting to sound like a tool, he's a very good one. Works his ass off, very thorough in his work, always trying to get patients to the very best condition he can. I remember giving him 5 questions from Section 1 to look at, he got the answers but took about 15 minutes. If he sat it he'd fail it now too.

What the HPAT has done is it developed a trend where there are a number of people coming through who are very intelligent but shouldn't be doctors. It's more than just intelligence. I know a number of meds, 2 in particular, who I wouldn't ever want anywhere near me in a doctor patient setting. One of them has told me time and time again that "medicine is ****, I don't want to work with people, I can't stand dealing with people's issues, the only reason it'll be worth it is the money." This same guy got over 200 on the HPAT and 600 in the LC. An interview would have spotted this a mile off but instead we leave it to the ability to study to determine who should be a doctor. I know another lad who is frighteningly emotionally unstable, without wanting to go too much into his personal life he's honestly a bit of a mess. Very needy, very immature, extremely volatile moods. He's in medicine too. As a contrast, I know a guy who's 2 years older than me in a science based degree. Smart guy and really a truly lovely personality. Handles himself well and never seen him stress out. He'll be doing graduate medicine.

This was a similar issue with just having the Leaving Cert as a means to test it, it isn't enough. The HPAT and LC aren't enough. I think the likes of volunteer work is important, interview to gauge your personality for being a doctor, all these things should be mixed with the HPAT and LC.

I don't want this to come off as all the people in Medicine won't make good doctors, there are lots of really good people there at the moment, I know one guy especially who is an absolute gem, he'll be a brilliant doctor. What I am saying is that we have an unhealthy view towards medicine in this country. Every year a high percentage of the very brightest go for medicine, not because they want it, because they feel like it would be bellow them if they accepted anything else. 2 friends of mine who got 580 and 590 in the LC didn't do medicine because they didn't like the thought of it. The number of people who ask them why they didn't do medicine with a score like that is shocking, people assume that only the smartest should do it and if they choose not to it has somehow lessened their achievement. On the other hand, 3 of my friends who did get over 570 each and are in medicine have come to me at different points in the year to tell me they hate it and should have done something they were interested in.

Sorry about that rant, had to say it :)

Somalion wrote: »
    I agree that there's always going to be complaints no matter what but the addition of interviews would be handy as it's a fairer assessment (in combination with the HPAT and LC) I might also say that the HPAT isn't an aptitude test for medicine no matter what anyone says. It simply isn't. I think the greatest example of this was when I sat with two professors of surgery (not to be named for the shame of it ;) ) who went through a full HPAT exam and failed it miserably. My father is a doctor too and, without wanting to sound like a tool, he's a very good one. Works his ass off, very thorough in his work, always trying to get patients to the very best condition he can. I remember giving him 5 questions from Section 1 to look at, he got the answers but took about 15 minutes. If he sat it he'd fail it now too.

What the HPAT has done is it developed a trend where there are a number of people coming through who are very intelligent but shouldn't be doctors. It's more than just intelligence. I know a number of meds, 2 in particular, who I wouldn't ever want anywhere near me in a doctor patient setting. One of them has told me time and time again that "medicine is ****, I don't want to work with people, I can't stand dealing with people's issues, the only reason it'll be worth it is the money." This same guy got over 200 on the HPAT and 600 in the LC. An interview would have spotted this a mile off but instead we leave it to the ability to study to determine who should be a doctor. I know another lad who is frighteningly emotionally unstable, without wanting to go too much into his personal life he's honestly a bit of a mess. Very needy, very immature, extremely volatile moods. He's in medicine too. As a contrast, I know a guy who's 2 years older than me in a science based degree. Smart guy and really a truly lovely personality. Handles himself well and never seen him stress out. He'll be doing graduate medicine.

This was a similar issue with just having the Leaving Cert as a means to test it, it isn't enough. The HPAT and LC aren't enough. I think the likes of volunteer work is important, interview to gauge your personality for being a doctor, all these things should be mixed with the HPAT and LC.

I don't want this to come off as all the people in Medicine won't make good doctors, there are lots of really good people there at the moment, I know one guy especially who is an absolute gem, he'll be a brilliant doctor. What I am saying is that we have an unhealthy view towards medicine in this country. Every year a high percentage of the very brightest go for medicine, not because they want it, because they feel like it would be bellow them if they accepted anything else. 2 friends of mine who got 580 and 590 in the LC didn't do medicine because they didn't like the thought of it. The number of people who ask them why they didn't do medicine with a score like that is shocking, people assume that only the smartest should do it and if they choose not to it has somehow lessened their achievement. On the other hand, 3 of my friends who did get over 570 each and are in medicine have come to me at different points in the year to tell me they hate it and should have done something they were interested in.

Sorry about that rant, had to say it :)

Clear, logical and simply fantastic post! It's like you read my mind!

Clear, logical and simply fantastic post! It's like you read my mind!
    Ah shucks thank you, all chuffed with myself now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think the greatest example of this was when I sat with two professors of surgery (not to be named for the shame of it ;) ) who went through a full HPAT exam and failed it miserably. My father is a doctor too and, without wanting to sound like a tool, he's a very good one. Works his ass off, very thorough in his work, always trying to get patients to the very best condition he can. I remember giving him 5 questions from Section 1 to look at, he got the answers but took about 15 minutes. If he sat it he'd fail it now too.

How did they fail it? You can't grade someone on the HPAT without putting them into the time constraints with the same questions as ~4000 other people. For all we know, the people who achieve 200 in the HPAT may only have got a third of the questions right. It all depends on how the HPAT is weighted and how everyone else does in that particular sitting.
    I know a number of meds, 2 in particular, who I wouldn't ever want anywhere near me in a doctor patient setting. One of them has told me time and time again that "medicine is ****, I don't want to work with people, I can't stand dealing with people's issues, the only reason it'll be worth it is the money." This same guy got over 200 on the HPAT and 600 in the LC. An interview would have spotted this a mile off but instead we leave it to the ability to study to determine who should be a doctor.

Really? No one will walk into an interview and say "I want to do this for the money". Interviews can be prepared for too, and if they bring them in for medicine, you'll have interview preparation courses everywhere, handing people pages of quotes and remarks that will make them seem like they care enough to be a good doctor.
    Every year a high percentage of the very brightest go for medicine, not because they want it, because they feel like it would be bellow them if they accepted anything else. 2 friends of mine who got 580 and 590 in the LC didn't do medicine because they didn't like the thought of it. The number of people who ask them why they didn't do medicine with a score like that is shocking, people assume that only the smartest should do it and if they choose not to it has somehow lessened their achievement

This is definitely true. If someone asks you how you did in the Leaving and your answer is in the high 500's, the amount of "Oh, I assume you'll be doing medicine then?" replies is ridiculous. Its quite insulting for someone who actually wants to do it, they didn't just happen to get the high points and think "Ah sure, medicine will be grand", they have genuinely worked towards it.

The elitism like this among the public is what draws the wrong people into medicine. How to stop that is difficult though. I don't agree it should be entirely on the LC (although being able to memorise and rote learn is still important in medicine), and I'm unsure about interviews (as well as the preparation, there are plenty of well known names in the medical field, with families of well known consultants coming in all the time, and Ireland is just too small to avoid bias completely). I think previous experience like work shadowing or volunteering should almost be made compulsory, if only to show people what hospitals are actually like to work in.

but I can see why you think its doing its job.

Actually I don't think its all that and a bag of chips, lots of room for improvement. Simple things like honest communication to test takers could even the playing field a bit more by admitting that intensive study does work in most cases. One extra 'subject' to study shouldn't be too much of an ask for an aspiring medicine student.. the only thing that is unfair with that stance is that those with more money can afford better prep courses.

it's still fairer than saying it can't be studied for though, which is a barefaced lie.

Hopefully it won't affect us Hollingr in 10 years! Here's hoping both you and I are happy come late August;)

I'll drink to that! Lucky for me I have mature student entry as an extra opportunity if my hpat doesn't work out at 200+.

How did they fail it? You can't grade someone on the HPAT without putting them into the time constraints with the same questions as ~4000 other people. For all we know, the people who achieve 200 in the HPAT may only have got a third of the questions right. It all depends on how the HPAT is weighted and how everyone else does in that particular sitting.

Really? No one will walk into an interview and say "I want to do this for the money". Interviews can be prepared for too, and if they bring them in for medicine, you'll have interview preparation courses everywhere, handing people pages of quotes and remarks that will make them seem like they care enough to be a good doctor.

This is definitely true. If someone asks you how you did in the Leaving and your answer is in the high 500's, the amount of "Oh, I assume you'll be doing medicine then?" replies is ridiculous. Its quite insulting for someone who actually wants to do it, they didn't just happen to get the high points and think "Ah sure, medicine will be grand", they have genuinely worked towards it.

The elitism like this among the public is what draws the wrong people into medicine. How to stop that is difficult though. I don't agree it should be entirely on the LC (although being able to memorise and rote learn is still important in medicine), and I'm unsure about interviews (as well as the preparation, there are plenty of well known names in the medical field, with families of well known consultants coming in all the time, and Ireland is just too small to avoid bias completely). I think previous experience like work shadowing or volunteering should almost be made compulsory, if only to show people what hospitals are actually like to work in.

I understand where you're coming from, but let's not forget, there are 4.5 million people in Ireland! I think interviews are important, and I'm not the only one, look at the U.K. and Australia. The interviewee would not give a name to the interviewer, rather their HPAT number. The interviewers would be carefully selected so that they would not come across the daughter/son of somebody they may know. Think about how they do the orals in schools!

I don't buy into this theory that 'Dr. So and So will give Mary high marks in the interview because her daddy worked with him 15 years ago', etc.

I'll drink to that! Lucky for me I have mature student entry as an extra opportunity if my hpat doesn't work out at 200+.

Best of luck with whatever route you take anyway!

200+? Do you think the points will climb by a considerable amount then?:eek: You're getting me worried Hollingr:p

I don't buy into this theory that 'Dr. So and So will give Mary high marks in the interview because her daddy worked with him 15 years ago', etc.

I dunno, according to my mum the profession is very like that :L

I got 520 in the leaving many moons ago... +25 for maths i'm at 545. I'm a good 20-30 points behind the pack, so yes in my case 200+ will be necessary!

:/

I think making a certain number of hours of volunteer work mandatory would be a good way to go. At least then people are forced to see what they are getting themselves into (regardless if they are doing the volunteer work for all the wrong reasons) whilst also helping out in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I understand where you're coming from, but let's not forget, there are 4.5 million people in Ireland! I think interviews are important, and I'm not the only one, look at the U.K. and Australia. The interviewee would not give a name to the interviewer, rather their HPAT number. The interviewers would be carefully selected so that they would not come across the daughter/son of somebody they may know. Think about how they do the orals in schools!

I do think interviews should be considered, but its hard to completely guarantee that there would be no bias. 4000 applicants isn't a huge number if you're looking at the UK and Australia. The interviewers would need to be well capable of picking out the genuine applicants from the prep course trainees, I don't know how easy that would be to do.

I won't make much comment on this, but imo having "people in high places" can be abused at times.

I dunno, according to my mum the profession is very like that :L

But you haven't read my post properly, the interviewer wouldn't have a clue from Adam who they are interviewing-it would be based on numbers. The orals have thus far succeeded in maintaining its unbiased nature, why not interviews? Surely you know that interviews are carried out for entry into Medicine in the U.K. and Australia?

An interview would be a hell of a lot fairer than a test which is failing to do its job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

What the HPAT has done is it developed a trend where there are a number of people coming through who are very intelligent but shouldn't be doctors.

I don't think that's true at all, how would the HPAT make a difference in that respect over leaving cert alone? That's always been a concern.

Interviews aren't necessarily going to change that, either. Nobody is going to go into an interview and say "oh I'm only interested in the money". People who want to study medicine are generally very intelligent and know what an interviewer wants to hear.

• Advertisement

Well, this was a sample paper so I had the answers. Both of them got a reasonable score for section 1 but ran out of time (we did the timing properly). Section 2 wasn't good at all, as far as I remember. It lead to some very funny discussions as to what was really appropriate and what wasn't in a Doctor-Patient situation. Section 3 was the worst, really poor scoring on that one (I think one of them only got a couple right) It was done just because we had gotten our hands on a few sample papers and one of the younger new meds wanted to see how they'd do. Now, with point weighting and stuff I can't say what the official HPAT score would have been and you're correct in that they can't fail it. What I was implying was they wouldn't get anywhere near medicine with the scores they would have received from that (I think we had put an educated guess at 30-40 percentile but that wasn't me who marked them.

And you're spot on with this. While I think interviews can pick out people who are GROSSLY not suitable (people who'd hardly say a word during it or anything like that) the majority will be able to prepare for it.

It is a very very frustrating view that many people have. One of my friends adores physics and wishes to do astrophysics. I remember one day in particular him getting an awful amount of stick from a group of people who just couldn't understand why he wasn't in medicine. You're right too, it is very insulting that that approach has now developed, it's really not fair to those who have spent an awful long time really going after medicine because they'd love to do it.
    I think my biggest problem with interviews (even if I support them) is the potential for knowing a certain doctor who'll be on the panel interviewing you. Ireland is too small for that not to happen on a large scale. I agree, I've had a lot of experience in hospital work and volunteer work too, if anything it increased my love of medicine. I suppose with the numbers applying would it be feasible to get that many in to shadow for even just a few days or a week?

Advertisement