Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ladyla

I'm a Northern Ireland applicant, just wondering, are there any other NI applicants?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

how much should i be practising for the hpat? everyday or once a week or what?

just a little unsure:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aoifelene

Hi I'm doing the m******y course next week I want to get the most out of it.
    Just wondering if anyone would have a tips on what to have prepared for the workshop? What information to have read on LMS? What questions to ask etc.
    Really just tips to get the most value from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graham joyce

hi my name is graham can you send me all your motes on the hpat please to <snip> thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Its not a good idea to have your email address visible on a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

how much time are others spending on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amysk

Just joined this site today.
    Anyone doing the M******Y course Dublin 29th /30th ?
    I'm Looking to get group discount if there's anyone interested at this late stage please let me know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graham joyce

I used to coordinate a HPAT prep course and the HPAT folder on my computer has literally hundreds of files on critical thinking, logical reasoning, nonverbal reasoning, aptitude tests, brainteasers... as well as gigabytes of sample questions in section 1, 2, 3 categories. (Not infrequently without official answers though.)

If anyone would like me to email them some of the above anytime, send me a PM with your email address and any area in particular you're looking for. See what you can get for free before shelling out to M*curse*y!

Mods, would you like to make this post a sticky?

yep please can you send it to <snip> thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

To guarantee yourself a place in medicine, excluding the HPAT.

I'd really like to know what my target is and what grades I need to get in each subjects.

Assuming that I get the average result in the HPAT (not too sure what that is), what's the minimum amount of points I'd need to be confident of getting a place in medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Short answer 550. If your applying for med you aim for 550. But i'm afraid it comes down to the Hpat either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

0mega wrote: »
    To guarantee yourself a place in medicine, excluding the HPAT.

Sorry, I read this properly :p Err there's no score in the LC that can guarantee you a place in medicine.

Whilst 550 levels the playing field somewhat, you can bet that there will be people this year getting 610-625 in the leaving cert and not getting into medicine. Soz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

There is no guarantee, people have got 600 and not got in, while others have got 500 and do. To optimise your score against all the people you're competing against, reaching 550 will only give those above you a small advantage because of the adjustments after 550.

And unfortunately, if you get the average score (if you mean ~50th percentile) its very unlikely that you'll get in. Getting 170 last year along with 600 points (730 altogether) would barely have got a place, and thats around the 70th percentile iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Hi everyone, I'm in 5th year at the moment and hope to do medicine. I am doing the m******* prep course online and attended the workshop. To be honest I've hardly done anything (3 or 4 drills) which I feel terrible about. At the workshop we sat a trial exam and I received the feedback for it. It says I got 90th percentile in section 2 compared to everyone else who did it (all workshops). However a while ago I did a practice test and only got 36th percentile for section 2 (first and only). I thought I had done much better than 36th as I only has a few wrong (can't remember how many but it wasn't much). Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?? Could it be anything to di with the fact that the trial was on paper form and the practice was on the computer as I hate doing things on the computer, I just can't concentrate properly.
    Also I was wondering how much people do and when they practice for it?
    Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Relax... you're in Fifth Year. If you really want to worry yourself about the HPAT earlier than you should, wait until you're finished fifth year. Focus on your LC and get the basics sorted out before sixth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oween

Hi everyone, I'm in 5th year at the moment and hope to do medicine. I am doing the m******* prep course online and attended the workshop. To be honest I've hardly done anything (3 or 4 drills) which I feel terrible about. At the workshop we sat a trial exam and I received the feedback for it. It says I got 90th percentile in section 2 compared to everyone else who did it (all workshops). However a while ago I did a practice test and only got 36th percentile for section 2 (first and only). I thought I had done much better than 36th as I only has a few wrong (can't remember how many but it wasn't much). Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?? Could it be anything to di with the fact that the trial was on paper form and the practice was on the computer as I hate doing things on the computer, I just can't concentrate properly.
    Thanks for any help!
    Percentiles in ******** are messed up, have no idea why - pretty disappointing considering how much it was... I've been getting around 75% of the questions right in most sections in the practice exams and ended up in anywhere between the 30-60 percentile range which is not right... Was talking to a few of my friends they were having the same problem... I'm just ignoring the percentiles on ******** and concentrating on the actual scores I'm getting... I would say you would need to get at least in the 80th percentile in the actual HPAT with 570/580+ points to get into medicine...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thanks for any help!
    I fear you're wasting your time...the HPAT is due a review and will probably be changed about for 2013. There's a chance they mightn't change it, but I wouldn't advise any 5th year to buy a prep course at the moment.

Even if the HPAT was definitely gonna be the same in 2013, I still wouldn't advise a 5th year to stress over the HPAT. Focus on your LC in 5th year...it will probably account for roughly 5/7 of your points to get into medicine.

On another note, I also did med-entry (in 6th year), and my percentiles varied wildly from 80/90th percentile in very few to 0-20th percentile in some. Don't worry about them - focus on your timing, and when you finish look at why you got the question wrong. I think they should get rid of the percentile thing - it's very confidence-degrading and people can easily just spend more time than they're allowed to get a better score.

To get into medicine at the lowest-points university (NUIG usually), you really need at least 75th percentile in your HPAT and to break the 550 barrier at LC or probably go a small bit beyond. That's just to barely scrape into NUIG medicine. 80th percentile and above is the ideal safe-zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 111333371

Would ANYONE out there have the online Med* entry course that they are not using, I am in dire need to repeat my hpat but dont think its worth the money for just one month

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Hi everyone. I'm looking to book a med entry course in Griffith College Dublin on 18/19th of Feb. Obviously I'm also keen to get the group discount so if anyone else is interested in booking with me drop me a message! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

saw someone in another thread here looking for a group taco, i think his name was ultimatehero or something like that. this was yesterday so he's prob still lookin..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

hollingr wrote: »
    saw someone in another thread here looking for a group taco, i think his name was ultimatehero or something like that. this was yesterday so he's prob still lookin..

Thanks I'll have a look :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 QueenofSpades

Thanks for any help!

I think the percentiles for M******* are for all students who do M******* prep course, so you're being compared to people from Australia and New Zealand.

Though, you are in 5th year so don't even think about HPAT focus on the LC
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Wait what's wrong with the ******** percentiles?
    I just did one today and got 85 and 95 in 1 and 2. Does that mean they're actually lower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eokeeffe1

Anyone doing HPAT Ulster on 28th Jan or has preparation advice for sitting HPAT Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I would like to purchase the MedicineEntry course, however I have one concern: If I sign up from one network, my home, will I be able to login from another computer in a different location (network)? For a month or so I will be away from home and would love to know if my subscription would be usable in a different county. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

reznov wrote: »
    I would like to purchase the MedicineEntry course, however I have one concern: If I sign up from one network, my home, will I be able to login from another computer in a different location (network)? For a month or so I will be away from home and would love to know if my subscription would be usable in a different county. Thank you!

Not to sure if it can be used in a different country I did it last year and i went I had to go to cork over christmas (from dublin) and did it there no bother! the site is for australians, british and irish exams so presume it should be open for access internationally too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

i know its hard to ask for predictions especially at this stage but....

Applied to medicine last year....with 520 + 209 = 729 overall.

Didnt get into a course in dublin which i needed because cant afford accomodation and extras!

Currently with extra points will have 545 + 209 = 754 overall

Can anyone speculate what the odds are of getting into medicine in dublin or should I bother applying? Currently studying Law in TCD which is like too so not the end of the world if I cant apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Anyone know what kind of change will the HPAT take in 2013 and if it will be a big change? … I hope not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

johndoe91 wrote: »
    i know its hard to ask for predictions especially at this stage but....

Applied to medicine last year....with 520 + 209 = 729 overall.

Didnt get into a course in dublin which i needed because cant afford accomodation and extras!

Currently with extra points will have 545 + 209 = 754 overall

Can anyone speculate what the odds are of getting into medicine in dublin or should I bother applying? Currently studying Law in TCD which is like too so not the end of the world if I cant apply!

Should you bother? That seems to suggest that you're unlikely to get in! I would be utterly stunned if the points for UCD, RCSI and TCD all went above 754, and I'm sure you would be too :P Given that the maximum LC score is 565, that would require a minimum of like 190 from everyone!!

I'd say if you want it, it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Attempted my first few HPAT questions today from a booklet (I'm in 5th year).

Can't believe you only get around 1 min 20s per question.. I'm so screwed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I used to coordinate a HPAT prep course and the HPAT folder on my computer has literally hundreds of files on critical thinking, logical reasoning, nonverbal reasoning, aptitude tests, brainteasers... as well as gigabytes of sample questions in section 1, 2, 3 categories. (Not infrequently without official answers though.)

If anyone would like me to email them some of the above anytime, send me a PM with your email address and any area in particular you're looking for. See what you can get for free before shelling out to M*curse*y!

Mods, would you like to make this post a sticky?
    I've emailed some of my notes to about 50 people now. Perhaps some of them would like to offer to forward it on again?

Advertisement