Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

kayleigh01 wrote: »
    Went to the Trinity Open Day and basically trolled all the Health Sciences talks and stands and I'm getting more and more depressed by the thought of doing something that isn't Medicine.

Before yesterday I thought I had a chance... But now... Arts degree here I come. :/

Hey, why do you think you dont have a chance if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Hey, why do you think you dont have a chance if you dont mind me asking?

With the immense amount of people who are already in college and planning on repeating the HPAT and also this years LC's who want Med, I just don't think I'll cut it, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

With the immense amount of people who are already in college and planning on repeating the HPAT and also this years LC's who want Med, I just don't think I'll cut it, tbh.

Who knows. The HPAT makes things a bit unpredictable really.

All you can do is your best and work your ass off, if you dont get in then at least you know you tried your best and can start thinking bout different options, grad entry, mature entry, maybe think bout going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you're not in you can't win should be the attitude with the HPAT. Just go and give it your level best, in preparation and in the actual exam, but don't stress too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

danbag1989 wrote: »
    All you can do is your best and work your ass off, if you dont get in then at least you know you tried your best and can start thinking bout different options, grad entry, mature entry, maybe think bout going abroad.

True, all very true. I guess I'm just feeling a little disheartened atm. Just need to get re-motivated to actually do more work. :rolleyes:
    jumpguy wrote: »
    If you're not in you can't win should be the attitude with the HPAT. Just go and give it your level best, in preparation and in the actual exam, but don't stress too much!

Here's hoping that my best is enough. Lol, stressing is the only thing I can do right at the moment. :P

Thanks to both of you. :)

No hassle! weve all been there i think, periodically i just feel like dropping the whole thing ha, but you gotta motivate yourself like you said.

True, all very true. I guess I'm just feeling a little disheartened atm. Just need to get re-motivated to actually do more work. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping that my best is enough. Lol, stressing is the only thing I can do right at the moment. :P

Thanks to both of you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

I'm currently studying Medicine in TCD, I'd say close to 90% of those who sat the HPAT in my class did the M**e***y course. I would highly recommend it on that basis alone. I did Careers Services and although it helped me and I found it really useful, practice material was lacking and I feel I would've benefited more from the former.

I'm in the same boat and completely agree, if I was doing it again I'd definitely do that course rather than the CS one. I think it gives you the best chance of getting a good score as it has the most practice material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Allie79 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat and completely agree, if I was doing it again I'd definitely do that course rather than the CS one. I think it gives you the best chance of getting a good score as it has the most practice material.

But. Didn't you score like. The best hpat ever?

Section 3 was my worst score, with more prep it might have been closer to the other two. Not complaining like....just would advise people to do the course with the most prep for the section you can change the most!

• Advertisement

Section 3 was my worst score, with more prep it might have been closer to the other two. Not complaining like....just would advise people to do the course with the most prep for the section you can change the most!

Oh I wasn't having a go at you :P

My prep is next weekend, i'm looking forward to it really. Kinda wish I'd chosen to do the naughty word one now, but i'm sure it's all the same stuff. I'll be glad to get the Hpat out of the way really for, for this year at least. Pleased we get our results in April too.

Which one are you doing? If you don't feel it's enough you can always opt for the online version of the other one afterwards. It's definitely better to be getting your HPAT results in April, so much more time to consider your options. Hope the prep goes well.

Which one are you doing? If you don't feel it's enough you can always opt for the online version of the other one afterwards. It's definitely better to be getting your HPAT results in April, so much more time to consider your options. Hope the prep goes well.

Independant Academy, I don't know why really. I'd heard so many complaints about the madentry from people who had paid such an insane amount of money and scored like 80, but considering the amount of people who probably sit that one you'll get people who are going to score poorly regardless.

I think getting the results early will be encouraging to study for the last 5 weeks regardless if the score is good or bad :pac:

Well best of luck anyway - I'm sure it'll all go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

IOE Course. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

IOE Course. Nuff said.

I didn't know they had an IOE course. Is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

My school has a copy of a paper, in which the first question in section 1 is on legumes, could someone please tell me if this is the first sample paper, the second or neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

It's the first one!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

Hey people, my M******Y course member dropped out ! If anyone would like to do the discount partnership please please PM me!!!:( THANKS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

shunter07 wrote: »
    Hey people, my M******Y course member dropped out ! If anyone would like to do the discount partnership please please PM me!!!:( THANKS!!

for when and wherE? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Coco pop

Hey.. is anybody interested in joining in a group discount with me for Med Entry 2012 for the 7th and 8th of January ? please pm me !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Conn000

Howdy. Im Conn, 25, thinking of going for medicine. And I was researching different careers and courses etc etc. Im kinda daunted by the amount of post grad training required once you finished the internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

I didn't know they had an IOE course. Is it good?

It's fantastic, I did it in October and I'm glad of it.

Give me a pm if you'd like any more details. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oween

Hey, I'm currently doing the ******** distance package online and finding it excellent. However, after doing some practice exams I find myself really disheartened to see my percentile quite low. For example, in one section I got 30/40 (75%), a score which I would consider good, only to discover I'm in the "percentile of 29". I'm just wondering are these percentiles accurate or are other people having the same difficulties, or are the standards just that high? Can I take these percentiles as accurate or not, considering students can take as much time as they want, and may have seen the test previously? I'm scoring consistently decent but the percentiles I'm getting are really low. Are the percentiles inaccurate or do I just really have to up my game? I'll be interested to see what other people have to say as it has been annoying me for a while now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

You are marked in relation to everyone else. So a question that everyone else answers correct may only receive 1 mark or even 0 marks, but if you get a question correct that most others got wrong, then you will get more marks for that question.
    30/40 doesn't equate to getting 75% in the HPAT. After weightings are attached then your score is brought down or up. You could only be getting the questions that everyone else is getting correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oween

Hmmm, yes I was thinking this but I still find it bizarre to get a percentile this low, especially since I was previously told anything around 65/66% of the entire HPAT would be in the 90th percentile? I'm surprised to see the standard so high. I would like to know how these percentiles compared to how people actually did in their HPAT? Thanks for replying, are you doing the ********? How are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oween wrote: »
    Hey, I'm currently doing the ******** distance package online and finding it excellent. However, after doing some practice exams I find myself really disheartened to see my percentile quite low. For example, in one section I got 30/40 (75%), a score which I would consider good, only to discover I'm in the "percentile of 29". I'm just wondering are these percentiles accurate or are other people having the same difficulties, or are the standards just that high? Can I take these percentiles as accurate or not, considering students can take as much time as they want, and may have seen the test previously? I'm scoring consistently decent but the percentiles I'm getting are really low. Are the percentiles inaccurate or do I just really have to up my game? I'll be interested to see what other people have to say as it has been annoying me for a while now...
    I was the same when I did it, don't be disheartened. I got in 0-20% for a good few sections of it...it was seriously disheartening. Got in the 73rd percentile in the real thing! :)

Oween wrote: »
    Hmmm, yes I was thinking this but I still find it bizarre to get a percentile this low, especially since I was previously told anything around 65/66% of the entire HPAT would be in the 90th percentile? I'm surprised to see the standard so high. I would like to know how these percentiles compared to how people actually did in their HPAT? Thanks for replying, are you doing the ********? How are you finding it?
    Did the HPAT last year and repeating this year. Signed up for ******** and am going to the course in about 10 days. The online element is really helpful.

I'd say don't get disheartened by ********. I'd say the results are slightly skewed because as people re-take the tests more and more, their results will get higher. Keep practicising regularly and I'm sure you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Did the HPAT last year and repeating this year. Signed up for ******** and am going to the course in about 10 days. The online element is really helpful.

I'd say don't get disheartened by ********. I'd say the results are slightly skewed because as people re-take the tests more and more, their results will get higher. Keep practicising regularly and I'm sure you'll be grand!

Hey, I'm in the same position as you-repeating the HPAT and doing Med-Entry!:) How often do you log onto LMS and how long do you spend at it?

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm in the same position as you-repeating the HPAT and doing Med-Entry!:) How often do you log onto LMS and how long do you spend at it?
    Well I'm in college at the moment so haven't had much time in the past 2 weeks with christmas exams. Have a month off now to study it pretty regularly.
    Usually try and get it once a day for an hour or hour and a half. Even if I'm busy I try to squeeze in a few of those memory bank questions.

Advertisement