Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 easpa_ciall

Hey , was wondering if anyone is heading to the course in Griffith College tomorrow ? and if so , anyone know exactly how to get there ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aoifelene

Hey,
    Which is the best, most worthwhile and value for money HPAT prep course out there? I don't know anyone doing medicine or who has done medicine to ask their opinions.

I respect that some people believe that a prep. course is not necessary but i would like to do one for the sample questions, tips but also to build my confidence, so is it med****y, IOE, Careers Services or any others?

I'd appreciate an honest opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 easpa_ciall

Aoifelene wrote: »
    Hey,
    Which is the best, most worthwhile and value for money HPAT prep course out there? I don't know anyone doing medicine or who has done medicine to ask their opinions.

I respect that some people believe that a prep. course is not necessary but i would like to do one for the sample questions, tips but also to build my confidence, so is it med****y, IOE, Careers Services or any others?

Well I just completed the med-entry course today and it was absolutely fantastic.Can not recommend it highly enough, granted I have not completed any other course to compare to but this one was super , the lecturer was very knowledgeable and had lots of great tips and the online resources are fantastic too , and are available right up until the day of the test !
    I would recommend you book onto a course asap so that you have time to put the strategies into play and improve on your weaknesses in then next few months ! I havn't heard many good things about other course providers , and med-entry has been around a really long time , as it is Australian based and the Australian UMAT testing has been around 20 years ! That's the reason I went with it !
    Good Luck with Everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Anyone still to book into a group for the Med-entry course?...........december in dublin preferably!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aoifelene

Anyone still to book into a group for the Med-entry course?...........december in dublin preferably!! :D

Heya ya PM the details please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yvapra

hi guys im looking for a group for ******** can i join anyones group? pm me or plz reply here. i am in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 duffbird

was just wondering is anyone was interested in joining a group with me for the med entry hpat prep course in dublin at the end of december! :)
    just give me a message or anything if anyone is interested! thanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

I'm currently studying Medicine in TCD, I'd say close to 90% of those who sat the HPAT in my class did the M**e***y course. I would highly recommend it on that basis alone. I did Careers Services and although it helped me and I found it really useful, practice material was lacking and I feel I would've benefited more from the former.
    Aoifelene wrote: »
    Hey,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoopman

Jen2011 wrote: »
    Anybody interested in joining a group/Can I join a group for the med-entry course?

did you get anyone to form a group yet. I am interested in doing med entry in dublin in dec:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niamh_93

hey, does anyone know where i can find the entry points for medicine 2011 in ucd, tcd, nuig, ucc and rcsi? the websites and prospectuses only have 2010 points. or if u know them could you post them here.
    thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The CAO points for every course are found here, from the CAO website.

Medicine was:

Trinity 741* (739* on 2nd round)
    UCD 738 (735 on 2nd round)
    UCC 734
    RCSI 733* (732 on 2nd round)
    NUIG 729* (729 on 2nd round)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niamh_93

thank you!!
    god that is just depressing though..and they will prob rise again this year cos of 25 extra points

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

I dont think they will rise again this year to be honest. I did my LC in 2010 going for Med, didnt get it , repeated in Limerick in 2011, didnt get it. Now im in Galway studying Science and STRONGLY considering just giving the LC one more bash for med.

Yeah college life is good, but when you're not in the right course and you hear your mates talk about how good Med is it slowly chips away at you. Think I might just casually study at home , finish 1st year Science , then do the LC again. That way Im covering both options

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    I dont think they will rise again this year to be honest. I did my LC in 2010 going for Med, didnt get it , repeated in Limerick in 2011, didnt get it. Now im in Galway studying Science and STRONGLY considering just giving the LC one more bash for med.

Yeah college life is good, but when you're not in the right course and you hear your mates talk about how good Med is it slowly chips away at you. Think I might just casually study at home , finish 1st year Science , then do the LC again. That way Im covering both options

Was it your LC that could be improved on or your HPAT? You can repeat the HPAT on its own without doing the LC too, much more practical if you're in college already and you have over 550 points.

I do think that people will have to be prepared for a rise of 4-5 points. I would think that there's a high percentage of people applying for medicine doing honours maths, and even more would be encouraged to do so now.

Well the first year I did my LC , I was a bit of a dosser. Ended up with 420. Repeated and was working hard till christmas then I slowly but surely got laxy.
    Did nothing over last easter and basically all of march and by then all my friends had passed me out. Ended up getting 475.

Thing is Im going via the DARE route , so if I can reach roughly 500-510 and then with a solid HPAT after the M******y course im confident I can get into med. Apparently though my friends in UCD med say pre med is pretty much like science 1st year.

So Im thinking if I contact the programme office in UCD (which is my preference) and tell them I did 1st year science they might let me skip on over to second year med.

Thing is Im going via the DARE route , so if I can reach roughly 500-510 and then with a solid HPAT after the M******y course im confident I can get into med. Apparently though my friends in UCD med say pre med is pretty much like science 1st year.

So Im thinking if I contact the programme office in UCD (which is my preference) and tell them I did 1st year science they might let me skip on over to second year med.

Some universities do allow people who have done a year of college to count this as premed and move straight into first med if they have repeated the HPAT and are applying through the CAO again. This is very much at the discretion of the college (but is usually for courses like science, pharmacy etc).

You will definitely have to have reapplied for the CAO again and reach the points required for DARE next year though, your current college course will have no bearing on the offer in the first place.

Yeah hopefully someone in UCD or one of the Unis will take pity on me and let me skip , but if not it doesn't really matter , I'll be in the course I want to be in.

If ever I needed motivation , I have it now. The anount of times per day I wish I was studying Med is unbelievable. I guess if I just stay in Science this year and keep on hurting then Ill be motivated to get as close to 600 pts as possible!

I know I should contact the relevant programme offices for this , but do you know if Im allowed to repeat my LC while studying at 3rd level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Anyone want to do the ******** programme with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoopman

Hi
    I have 2 possibly 3 in a group. If you are interested let me know soon. I am applying tonight/tomorrow morning. If you want your name in the group let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gokog

yvapra wrote: »
    Would like to join as well
    Can you please reply

Hi I've just joined boards today so apologies for the complete lack of knowledge in how to navigate around but I'd be really interested in applying for the December ******** if you are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know I should contact the relevant programme offices for this , but do you know if Im allowed to repeat my LC while studying at 3rd level?
    Yes, as far as I know ... at least, I know someone who did it, whether he ever drew anyone official's attention to it I have no idea.

You might easily be setting yourself up to do poorly in both though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tomm881

Anyone Interested in doing the ##### programme with me on the 28th of Dec in cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laura444

Does anyone have a group or is interested in doing the med ****y course in December in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tmackeogh

anyone got any advice on which Hpat course to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gokog

Hey Laura are you still looking to register with someone in a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

Hey guys! :)
    Quick question, how're you guys handling studying for the LC and preparing for the HPAT? I feel like I've never any time for HPAT practice which is sickening :/

Any help from prospective med students and anyone already doing med would be much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

karkarpops wrote: »
    Hey guys! :)
    Quick question, how're you guys handling studying for the LC and preparing for the HPAT? I feel like I've never any time for HPAT practice which is sickening :/

Any help from prospective med students and anyone already doing med would be much appreciated :)

I know it's wreckless trying to fit everything in! Atm I'm spending about 1.5 hours at the weekend doing drills or tests, then one morning a week in school I had a few free classes in a row so I practise for a bit then. I'll be doing a lot more after Christmas though!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I wouldnt over-do it with prep for the HPAT to be honest. I did a bit of preparation in the week and a half before it and came out with a 183. With regards to the first two sections they aren't really something you can properly train yourself to do. The third section is possible to prepare for but i wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find time now. You can do a bit over the upcoming holidays and then go from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

Went to the Trinity Open Day and basically trolled all the Health Sciences talks and stands and I'm getting more and more depressed by the thought of doing something that isn't Medicine.

Before yesterday I thought I had a chance... But now... Arts degree here I come. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Can anyone tell me how Med****y compares to some of the other more generic HPAT prep courses? (by that I mean the cheaper ones :P)

Advertisement