Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

johndoe91 wrote: »
    Currently with extra points will have 545 + 209 = 754 overall

Can anyone speculate what the odds are of getting into medicine in dublin or should I bother applying? Currently studying Law in TCD which is like too so not the end of the world if I cant apply!

I think its safe to say that the points will rise at least a small bit this year with the bonus points for honours maths. I really, really don't think they will go that high though*. The highest in 2011 was 739 (Trinity).

Have a think about if you really want it or not though. The worst thing to do would be to take it just cos you have the points, and not because you actually want to do it. Its a course that you need to put a huge amount of time and effort into, and if you're not bothered about it, you really won't enjoy it.

*I've been wrong in the past, so don't hold me to my word :P

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Yeah it's inevitable that the bonus points for maths are going to inflate the entry scores a bit. Maybe around 5 points due to the adjustments after 550. Then of course there is a general trend of HPAT scores themselves rising year on year.

At the end of the day though we have this speculation on here every year and CAO day always throws up a few surprises so try not to dwell on it and just do your best on both the LC and the HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nomnom99

I've emailed some of my notes to about 50 people now. Perhaps some of them would like to offer to forward it on again?

If its not too much trouble could I get those notes off you?...or anyone else who you had emailed them to?
    Thank you:D

I've emailed some of my notes to about 50 people now. Perhaps some of them would like to offer to forward it on again?

Yeah I'd love to get those notes too please. :) I don't know if you got my PM or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

I think its safe to say that the points will rise at least a small bit this year with the bonus points for honours maths. I really, really don't think they will go that high though*. The highest in 2011 was 739 (Trinity).

Have a think about if you really want it or not though. The worst thing to do would be to take it just cos you have the points, and not because you actually want to do it. Its a course that you need to put a huge amount of time and effort into, and if you're not bothered about it, you really won't enjoy it.

I know what you mean about the whole points thing....just couldnt hack it if i dont get it again....thats all....you know what i mean??

*I've been wrong in the past, so don't hold me to my word :P

Ha loving the disclaimer at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Vetinary Student, Ally7, Jenny18, princesspower, call me lia,bbbbolger, sunny!!,cookiemonster.x, easpa_ciall, higginz1991, football girl,ikavo, amantine, ecel, danbag1989, closet monkey, slow show, pollydee, etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Vetinary Student, Ally7, Jenny18, princesspower, call me lia,bbbbolger, sunny!!,cookiemonster.x, easpa_ciall, higginz1991, football girl,ikavo, amantine, ecel, danbag1989, closet monkey, slow show, pollydee, etc etc etc

might be an idea to upload everything somewhere and then just give people a link?

I would be willing to do that for you if you sent the stuff on to me.. would save you alot of hassle in the long run regarding pm's!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Thank you for the information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dillan

Hey clartharlear, Pm'd you just there. could I get a few sample papers off you please. It'd be a god send to get my hands on some new one's. Cheers, Dillan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Is there anyone else just kinda freaking out about the HPAT this stage? My results don't seem to be improving a lot, is there still enough time to make a decent improvement?

• Advertisement

freaking out is counter productive! this exam suits a calm, clear head.

try concentrate on developing techniques to answer questions faster - like speed reading, and doing tons and tons of drills of each question type. the more you see the more you do the more you know.

don't worry about m3d*try percentiles - there is no time limit except what you yourself decide so the results are skewed. even going 5-10 minutes over time would give you a huge advantage.

just concentrate on the q's you got wrong - figure out why - could you have approached these questions a better way? is there a more efficient way of dissecting these type of questions and extracting the results? are you pacing yourself well throughout the tests consistently?

it'll all make a difference. alot of luck would also help on teh day for some of the 50/50 guesses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

I'm pretty sure the results are based on what others got right and wrong, eg. if you get a question right that very few other people get right, it would be worth more than a question you got right that the majority of people got right!

A quick reminder that registration for the HPAT closes this Friday, January 20th, at 17.15. Late registrations are accepted up until February 3rd, but at a cost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

hey guys,
    could i get those hpat notes as well please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

The notes I sent you? Please take them down immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

The notes I sent you? Please take them down immediately.

k done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tita

Hello!!!! Could you possibly email me some notes too??? I really need to practice Section 1 but anything you have in general would be great! Thank you so much!!! <snip>

Please do not put up your email addresses, use the PM function.

Also, clartharlear has named the posters that the notes have been forwarded on to. Maybe try one of them to take a bit of work off her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tita

Thanks and sorry about he email. I am new and still have to figure out how this works...

Hey guys, getting closer to the date now. Does anyone want to book med entry with me and avail of the group discount? Let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Podger23

Sent ya a PM Taco Chips also if someone could forward on the notes I would appreciate it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

Hey I'm new this years thread and reading 26 pages was a little daunting so can I ask, have there been any guesses about the point rises, can anyone imagine it being >10 points? It'll definitely be 5 right? -for HL maths.

I think a rise is a safe bet.. how much is only going to be pure speculation and time thinking about that would be better spent studying!

I would guess about 5 points up, coinciding with the aggregate extra 5 points people will get from honours maths if they got over 550.

I think the place where it will make a difference is around the fringes.. people like me (520 points in the l.c, did it back in 2003) will now have 545 and will be far more competitive - once you're in the 520-530 region the gap is much smaller now for those who are good at maths.

So you will have people who did the l.c years ago looking and saying "well, I could actually get in now" as well as people in the current year who will be bumped up nearer to 550 due to high grades in maths.

How much of a difference will this make? No one can tell you because they don't know. Just concentrate on yourself and giving the hpat as good a shot as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I think it'll be more than 5 points. Last years Hpat results were way stronger across the whole board, loads of people with 180+ not getting in who can all re-apply with that score, unless they do even better in Hpat this year. (And hundreds will).

Last year everybody was making guesses of between 4 and 6 points for the rise :P in the end it was like 10 - 14?!?

Looking to get the group discount is there anyone forming any groups. Hoping to get this sorted in the next day or so

I think it'll be more than 5 points. Last years Hpat results were way stronger across the whole board, loads of people with 180+ not getting in who can all re-apply with that score, unless they do even better in Hpat this year. (And hundreds will).

Last year everybody was making guesses of between 4 and 6 points for the rise :P in the end it was like 10 - 14?!?

Could easily be 10+, 15+, even 20, who knows. Repeat students and the rise in popularity of online courses like m*****y would account for the rise last year, but once you are getting in and around 180 and did the online courses and lots of practise the first time around it is very hard to improve much more by studying/practise. I think the extra points for honours maths will have much more of an effect than repeat students.. When I said 5 points rise I meant that as the lowest probable rise by the way!

Also, aren't the scores are Scaled + graded on curves in such a way that there is continuity between each year, So that a score from last year doesn't have any advantage over this year if the test is harder or easier this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminder to all that this is the time of year shill posts from M******* appear, suggesting people join groups for discounts. These are often suggested by employees of the same company, not LC students or regular posters in this forum.

Be very wary of any course that claims to prepare you for the HPAT.

spurious wrote: »
    Reminder to all that this is the time of year shill posts from M******* appear, suggesting people join groups for discounts. These are often suggested by employees of the same company, not LC students or regular posters in this forum.

Be very wary of any course that claims to prepare you for the HPAT.

I recently posted a thread about joining a group to get the discount of M*******. I assure you that i'm a genuine person just looking to see if theres anyone else interested in signing up together to receive a discount. I haven't posted in the LC section before as I am a mature student and figured the thread would get more views in the LC section as more younger people than myself would be going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

hollingr wrote: »

Also, aren't the scores are Scaled + graded on curves in such a way that there is continuity between each year, So that a score from last year doesn't have any advantage over this year if the test is harder or easier this year?

Yeah in theory, but average has risen every year, so far. Expect it to level out soon though if they continue to use Hpat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Pollydee

Since Clartharlear was good enough to help so many of us out, pm me your email address if you would like me to send them on to you :)

Advertisement