Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Funnily enough that was one of Sasse's full questions! IR from start to finish, no spectra reading involved though.

The other question was two compounds and which methods would be best to differentiate between them and why, sketch the NMR for both (not too bad but it took a while to draw out) and finally a "predict the fragment" question. I predicted a fragment but I dunno if it's the most stable e.t.c. (she didn't specify it had to be the most stable so maybe it'll do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Funnily enough that was one of Sasse's full questions! IR from start to finish, no spectra reading involved though.

The other question was two compounds and which methods would be best to differentiate between them and why, sketch the NMR for both (not too bad but it took a while to draw out) and finally a "predict the fragment" question. I predicted a fragment but I dunno if it's the most stable e.t.c. (she didn't specify it had to be the most stable so maybe it'll do).

Looks nicer than last years one. The fragment one sounds tricky alright.
    That said if your confused with NMR this year Walsh does an unreal job at teaching it in about an hour next year for you.
    I doubt your confused though!:P

Can't beat a bit of NMR, I think it's actually easier than the others.

Oh yeah... as an aside, have you had your 06 paper yet? If you have... who set the essays?

Can't beat a bit of NMR, I think it's actually easier than the others.

Oh yeah... as an aside, have you had your 06 paper yet? If you have... who set the essays?

Yep Ryder and Henman.
    Was hoping for grimes pharmacoeconomics to come up but ryders q. Was lovely. I think I was the only person in our year to do her question!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Is there anyway I can get my hands on the lecture slides for the schol's modules before summer? Wouldn't do any harm to have a browse I suppose :P Is all the material in the PH2001/PH2003 exam and the PH2004/PH2006/PH2009 exam covered before christmas? And the third exam you study for yourself?

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself! Only PH1004 left and then freedom :)

• Advertisement

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can get my hands on the lecture slides for the schol's modules before summer? Wouldn't do any harm to have a browse I suppose :P Is all the material in the PH2001/PH2003 exam and the PH2004/PH2006/PH2009 exam covered before christmas? And the third exam you study for yourself?

I didn't do them but some if the material for the exams would be in the get folders still. Others are on blackboard which only second years have access too.
    The 3rd module you study yourself, but the topic isn't decided until Michaelmas.

If I was you I'd be offering to buy partyatmygaff's schol notes for the subjects you listed. As you need extra on top of the lecture slides.
    At least you'd have half the work done then!:)

You can start now if you wish. But I'd take the summer off for and knuckle down at the end of September. 3-4 months study flat will have you sick of schols, I'd hate to know what 8 months would do to you!:)

Partyatmygaff I suggest we go into business over the summer and sell copies of your schol notes at 60 quid a pop. You keep 50 I keep 10!:D

All the material is covered before Christmas, yeah. It's bad enough without having to learn what's on in the Hilary term as well!

Don't study over the summer, for your own sanity. It's a long way to January 2014. That said, if you want to just have a look at what you're up against, remind me after the exams are all done and i'll send the slides on to you.
    Scortho wrote: »
    I didn't do them but some if the material for the exams would be in the get folders still.Others are on blackboard which only second years have access too.
    True... PH2009 is the only module that has its notes in the get folders.
    If I was you I'd be offering to buy partyatmygaff's schol notes for the subjects you listed. As you need extra on top of the lecture slides.
    At least you'd have half the work done then!:)

Partyatmygaff I suggest we go into business over the summer and sell copies of your schol notes at 60 quid a pop. You keep 50 I keep 10!:D
    Liking the sound of this little enterprise! :p

Liking the sound of this little enterprise! :p

Cigar and Whiskey fund!:cool:

partyatmygaff do you remember whether the PH1004 MCQs were mainly Healy or Ehrhardts? (All of the SAQs seem to have been Healy's last year) and do you remember were Ehrhardt's really specific? (Like remembering figures for temperatures etc.) It's alright if ya can't remember :)

I think he may have asked a temperature or two (Maybe Gelatin? That's important anyway)

As far as I remember, Ehrhardt has slightly more questions than Healy. Not 100% certain of that, I hardly remember a lot of the exams I just did the past two weeks let alone nearly one year ago to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 GinkgoBiloba

Hello Dr.Quigley Hope you're enjoying the threads.....absolute legend

Agreed the man's a legend ;)

Hello fabio :cool:

Memorising random bits of trivia about a few hundred antimicrobials sure seems like a good use of time. I mean, i'm sure memorising the BNF and every reference text available is useful but it's not exactly necessary.

Scortho, do tell, are there any other modules where we'll be expected to waste hours upon hours memorising reams of useless information about hundreds of obscure antibiotics or is it just PH2010? :(

The amount of time it took to cover Medina, Radomski and Santos' material is probably only 1/10th of the time it's taken me to get a vague idea of Frankish's encyclopaedia of antimicrobials.

Memorising random bits of trivia about a few hundred antimicrobials sure seems like a good use of time. I mean, i'm sure memorising the BNF and every reference text available is useful but it's not exactly necessary.

Scortho, do tell, are there any other modules where we'll be expected to waste hours upon hours memorising reams of useless information about hundreds of obscure antibiotics or is it just PH2010? :(

The amount of time it took to cover Medina, Radomski and Santos' material is probably only 1/10th of the time it's taken me to get a vague idea of Frankish's encyclopaedia of antimicrobials.

Modules where we'll be required to hours upon hours memorizing useless info you say! Is that not what pharmacy

I'll let you in on something...i got 60% last year in 2010, having only studied radomski and santos and medina.
    I answered all the questions in frankish by guessing.:D

Check out blackboard. there should be 3-4 "sample questions" that are up from frankish. He asked all four last year. Then you could afford to guess 16 questions without risking any marks....
    Thats half his section out of the way then.

That exam is a nasty piece of work and it doesnt get any nicer in my year. Except frankish had 60% of the paper this year so theres me back in august.

Memorising the bnf isn't useful at all. The feckin thing changes every 6 months.

Good point about the BNF... and that's re-assuring, I know those three well and i'd be happy with a nice 60-70%.

I should say... PH2010 was particularly wonderful :D

I should say... PH2010 was particularly wonderful :D

Freak!:D

It was just that good :pac:

You sent me a PDF a few weeks ago. Put it this way Scortho, that PDF was more or less all you needed to get 80-90%+

God bless Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

Oooh! Can I have said PDF? Starting SF in Sep :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lewis_oratorio

Hi, starting SF in September too and would also like the mentioned pdf, if you don't mind! :) I also would be interested in some lecture slides for schols modules if someone wouldnt mind sending them on to me, it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hi, starting SF in September too and would also like the mentioned pdf, if you don't mind! :) I also would be interested in some lecture slides for schols modules if someone wouldnt mind sending them on to me, it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Pm partyatmygaff. He does have the privelage of getting to add sch to his name!

Oooh! Can I have said PDF? Starting SF in Sep :)
    I'll send the PH2010 PDF on to the pair of you. As for the Schols material, I don't want you torturing yourself with study with 6 months left to go until the Schols exams. But if you really want to start now, send me a PM and i'll send you the relevant notes.

I'll send the PH2010 PDF on to the pair of you. As for the Schols material, I don't want you torturing yourself with study with 6 months left to go until the Schols exams. But if you really want to start now, send me a PM and i'll send you the relevant notes.

Count me in on that torture! Your PM is full by the way :)

Cleared it out there, try sending it again.

When abouts are results out? I couldn't find it on the website

When abouts are results out? I couldn't find it on the website

I don't want to know. Expecting a couple of repeats!:(
    I've heard the 17th bandied about though.

It's the 14th at 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

It's the 14th at 4pm.

All years, or just for SF?

• Advertisement

All years, or just for SF?

Generally Jf,sf and js come out together. I think ss comes out later

Advertisement