Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

Timetable for first term doesn't look too bad I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Timetable for first term doesn't look too bad I guess!

What year? Fourth year timetable is great this year. No labs on Friday!:D

Scortho wrote: »
    What year? Fourth year timetable is great this year. No labs on Friday!:D

JF, I'm a newbie :P I probably shouldn't speak too soon so :P

JF, I'm a newbie :P I probably shouldn't speak too soon so :P

God no.
    Somehow I'm still here...if its any help start studying....now

God no.
    Somehow I'm still here...if its any help start studying....now

I have seen ye all complaining about the workload alright :P

• Advertisement

I have seen ye all complaining about the workload alright :P

It's fairly ****ty but doable if you get on top of it/start early. One of the mature students however doesn't know how we mix our social life with the workload.
    On the other hand the job is sooooooo much less stressful.

It's fairly ****ty but doable if you get on top of it/start early. One of the mature students however doesn't know how we mix our social life with the workload.
    On the other hand the job is sooooooo much less stressful.

Ah I'm hoping I don't find it too bad :D Looks like it gets much more intense in Hilary term though :eek:

Ah I'm hoping I don't find it too bad :D Looks like it gets much more intense in Hilary term though :eek:

Wait until second year. that year is a hard oul slog. Apparently if you can get through second year, you'll have no problem getting through the others. :D
    The course always gets worse in Hilary term. :(

Wait until second year. that year is a hard oul slog. Apparently if you can get through second year, you'll have no problem getting through the others. :D
    The course always gets worse in Hilary term. :(

Ah I haven't even started first year yet :P My Uncle knows someone who used to be one of the Heads of the department (or something like that) so I can hopefully get some extra help/explaining of things if I need...
    Isn't year2 only worth 15% as well?
    I'll keep that in mind :o

Ah I haven't even started first year yet :P My Uncle knows someone who used to be one of the Heads of the department (or something like that) so I can hopefully get some extra help/explaining of things if I need...
    Isn't year2 only worth 15% as well?
    I'll keep that in mind :o

Yeah but the exams are tough all the same. Those 10% in 1st year and 15% in second year add up big time when it comes to your degree. Could be the difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the exams are tough all the same. Those 10% in 1st year and 15% in second year add up big time when it comes to your degree. Could be the difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2.

Oh I know and I'm definitely not saying they're a doss but it's just odd that the year worth 15% is supposed to be one of the hardest to get through :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Oh I know and I'm definitely not saying they're a doss but it's just odd that the year worth 15% is supposed to be one of the hardest to get through :eek::eek:
    You'll come to realise that most difficult doesn't always mean most important. This year the most failed module in all four years was PH2003 in second year.

The material you cover in PH2003 has little to no relevance to community or hospital pharmacy which is the field where most people end up working. To sum it up, it's basically just pharmaceutical analysis. Half the course is spectroscopy and the ICH guidelines and the other half is quality control of plant medicines. Very important if you go in to research or industry but has hardly any relevance if you go in to hospital or community like 90%+ of people.

A lot of people find it tough (but I kind of almost liked it to tell the truth :p). Ultimately, it doesn't matter if it's tough or easy and important or not because you still have to get through it!

Don't worry about all that though, first year's handy enough, just enjoy it and worry about second year next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Anyone interested in a not-used-that-much copy of Watson's Pharmaceutical Analysis?
    Its taking up space in my locker. It useful for the chromatography section in PH1003.
    Have some other books and hard copy notes (mainly JS exam solutions) as well. PM me if interested.

Anyone interested in a not-used-that-much copy of Watson's Pharmaceutical Analysis?
    Its taking up space in my locker. It useful for the chromatography section in PH1003.
    Have some other books and hard copy notes (mainly JS exam solutions) as well. PM me if interested.

Ill take them off your hands...and sell them!:D

Jack make sure to pass on my physiology book to someone to save them buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Is there is any books that i should by as a jf?

ahmdoda wrote: »

I'd get whatever physiology textbook the lecturers recommend. For PH1001 you'll need Hart's Organic Chemistry A short Course (it's handy for 2001 as well). Quigley uses Cairn's Essentials of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. I'd get it if you can find a cheap copy.

Aulton's pharmaceutics is good for the theory 04 paper but it wouldn't be necessary unless you're stuck in the module. Erhardt, D'Arcy, Tajber and Healy base most of their slides on material from the book.

Pay me in packets of cigarettes and it's a deal. :)

Pay me in packets of cigarettes and it's a deal. :)

Packets? At their current price! Not a chance!

ahmdoda wrote: »

Physiology book and harts book.

Don't buy the biology book or the biochemistry book! Waste of money. Yes you'll worry when you go to the library and they ain't there but don't worry, there's no need for them.

For spectroscopy use youtube videos. I didn't bother with aultons book for ceutics, i borrowed others and made mg own...alcohol is a great currency for notes.

Might be a good idea to call into one of your local pharmacies and ask do they have any old bnfs etc. I got mine for free and although its a bit older, there's very little difference between the newest issue and the previous issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

Got the physiology book in excellent condition never really used it if you're interested

• Advertisement

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    Got the physiology book in excellent condition never really used it if you're interested

Funny I had the same experience with my physiology book!:P sat in my wardrobe for a year!

partyatmygaff Empty your inbox. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I will I'll bring it up next week. How do I decide who to give it to? :P

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    I will I'll bring it up next week. How do I decide who to give it to? :P

The first one who offers to buy me and you a drink!:P
    Has to be a boardsie as well!

partyatmygaff Empty your inbox. :P

It's hard being so popular :p done now

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

The first one who offers to buy me and you a drink!:P
    Has to be a boardsie as well!

Haha true I still probably owe ya a drink.

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Haha true I still probably owe ya a drink.

Im holding you to that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 antel0pe

Do you need to learn off most of the drugs for Pharmacy or is it just a select few like the top 200?

antel0pe wrote: »
    Do you need to learn off most of the drugs for Pharmacy or is it just a select few like the top 200?

It's a bit more complicated than that...
    Well the course anyway.
    There'd be very few drugs that you wouldn't know about after your first few weeks in a pharmacy.
    For the ones that you don't know about, you wouldn't have them in stock (you'd know what each drug you have in your pharmacy does etc.) which could take a day to come in. So plenty of time to read up on. :D

• Advertisement

It's not learning off drugs, it's studying patients and the science of drugs.

Except in some modules where it is actually just learning off drugs...

Advertisement