Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

SS comes out first (it's already out) and JF-JS come out together a bit later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

SS comes out first (it's already out) and JF-JS come out together a bit later.

Grand. Nice cosworth by the way. Pity ford dont make them like that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

No gold medals this year (think its 78% for pharmacy).

By the way if you fail even one module in the SS examinations, does that mean you automatically get a pass degree, even if you got firsts in all the other modules and passed the supplemental?

Is it not just that a repeated module will be marked as 40% and averaged with the others?

Out of ten modules (assuming double weighting for three) with 70% in 9 modules and 40% for the failed module (5 credits) you'd average out at ~68%.

It'd be cruel and unreasonable to base your degree grade on a single module out of nearly 40 overall. Your performance in the whole degree =/= your performance in one module in SS (Or at least it shouldn't be).

• Advertisement

Is it not just that a repeated module will be marked as 40% and averaged with the others?

Out of ten modules (assuming double weighting for three) with 70% in 9 modules and 40% for the failed module (5 credits) you'd average out at ~68%.

It'd be cruel and unreasonable to base your degree grade on a single module out of nearly 40 overall. Your performance in the whole degree =/= your performance in one module in SS (Or at least it shouldn't be).

Yep. But I thought there was no repeats in 4th year? If there is it'll take a bit of stress off next year.
    I thought if you failed a module in 4th year, you had a viva, and then if worse comes to worse you have to repeat the year of books. Suppose ill know on the 25th of october.

Looking at the 4th year results, there's a few people (very few) who have supplementals.

Looking at the 4th year results, there's a few people (very few) who have supplementals.

Grand so. Less pressure next year than I thought there'd be. Other than the fact that I need a first to have any chance of a 2:1. :cool:

Exact same result as last year...

noice

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Fairly happy! I'll be going into 2nd year anyway :)

• Advertisement

Hello August in the library.
    Ah we'll used to it at this stage.

congrats to those who passed.
    To those who didn't you join the majority.

Any JSers dissapointed with 08? I wrote a killer essay essay on vaccijes (mentioned andrew wakefield).

Any JSers dissapointed with 08? I wrote a killer essay essay on vaccijes (mentioned andrew wakefield).

Nope!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bella10

Any idea when the pharmacy supplementals are usually on? I know they start they all 26th, but is there any time in particular like first week or second week???

Bella10 wrote: »
    Any idea when the pharmacy supplementals are usually on? I know they start they all 26th, but is there any time in particular like first week or second week???

Theyre always on the last week in August and first week in September. 10 credit modules are always split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bella10

10 credit modules are always split up.

So with two 10 credit module repeats, one 10 credit module in last week of August, one 10 credit module first week of September?

Bella10 wrote: »
    So with two 10 credit module repeats, one 10 credit module in last week of August, one 10 credit module first week of September?

No not necessarily. You just won't have two of them on top of each other. E.g Monday and Tuesday of the first week. Well you shouldn't at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daefon

Anyone who's gone through second year, do many people swap out PH2007 for a Broad Curriculum cross-faculty module or language module?

And for those who've done PH2007, is that module in any way useful?

A few people thought about it this year but it's really not worth it. The year's busy enough and all the broad curriculum modules are actual modules. PH2007 is more or less 1/2 lectures a week, no exams or anything.

Oh well in that case I guess I'll stick with it. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

are pharmacy exams really that hard that the majority fail? lol will be doing the course this coming September hopefully and coming from the Lc I usualy joke to my friend on how we should always aim for 100% in our exams I think I will have to turn that to 50%!!

The majority don't fail but it's nothing like the LC. Getting over 70% is considered a top achievement and getting over 80% is much rarer. Most people get 50-60% and a fair few people fail every year.

The exams aren't hard if you study. If you don't, they're completely impossible.

ahmdoda wrote: »
    are pharmacy exams really that hard that the majority fail? lol will be doing the course this coming September hopefully and coming from the Lc I usually joke to my friend on how we should always aim for 100% in our exams I think I will have to turn that to 50%!!

That's what's worrying me about this course is its apparent high fail rate but it's still #1 on my CAO and hopefully we'll both be starting come September :) I am literally so excited :D

Don't worry about the fail rate, guys. Every effort is made to keep people in the course so as long as you're willing to stay on top of the work then there's nothing to fear.

Anyway, you needn't even think about all that stuff yet. Plenty of time once you're in college, just enjoy the summer first!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 spalpinfanach

I have trinity before RCSI on my CAO but kinda regretting it now reading all these posts... Have ye much time at all for sport/a social life during the year? 9-5 seems like a lot of time during the day?

I have trinity before RCSI on my CAO but kinda regretting it now reading all these posts... Have ye much time at all for sport/a social life during the year? 9-5 seems like a lot of time during the day?

I've been regretting that for the last 3 years. Their course is much more clinical, whereas ours is aimed more towards industry.

Haha social life. What's that?
    Not only do you have lectures 9-5 and sometimes 9-6, you also will generally have an assignment due every week or so. Lab reports sound simple in theory, but you can find them taking hours.

In fairness to pharmacy one of the good things that it has going for it is the close knit classes.
    Everyone goes out together, but it'd rarely be more than one night a week.
    There is time for sport, it just depends how you manage time.
    Will you be living in town or commuting.
    Try live in town (unless youre from Dublin) for the first year at least.

Scortho wrote: »
    I've been regretting that for the last 3 years. Their course is much more clinical, whereas ours is aimed more towards industry.

Haha social life. What's that?
    Not only do you have lectures 9-5 and sometimes 9-6, you also will generally have an assignment due every week or so. Lab reports sound simple in theory, but you can find them taking hours.

In fairness to pharmacy one of the good things that it has going for it is the close knit classes.
    Everyone goes out together, but it'd rarely be more than one night a week.
    There is time for sport, it just depends how you manage time.
    Will you be living in town or commuting.
    Try live in town (unless youre from Dublin) for the first year at least.
    how is the job prospect for a pharmacist at the moment industry wise?

ahmdoda wrote: »
    how is the job prospect for a pharmacist at the moment industry wise?

Well People get sick everyday of the week.
    Job prospect for a pharmacist is good but wages have came down as a result of government cuts in mark up and fees to pharmacists.
    It's still good, but nowhere near as good as it was a few years ago.
    Aparenrly 25% are loss making, this I put down to high rents signed at the height of the boom as opposed to lack of work.
    If you can't find work in Ireland you'll easily find work in the uk.
    Salary after 3 years is 60k for a supervising pharmacist, but I have heard of higher.
    If you own your own pharmacy this can be higher or lower, depending on your business acumen.

Do not do this course for the money or employment prospects alone, it'll mentally break you.

The course isn't *that* taxing. The hours are only long during the start and middle of term, the last 4 weeks of each term (they're only 12 weeks long anyway) are always decent when it comes to hours as some of the modules start to wrap up.

Depending on how you do things, you can relax most of the year and have an absolutely horrific April/May every year or you can spread out the work over the entire year and maintain a constant (albeit lower) level of stress all year long.

On the whole, aside from a few modules most people like the course. Me, I wouldn't trade it for RCSI, UCC or anywhere else. That's not for the course and its content but for my class and the college atmosphere as a whole. At the end of the day, a pharmacy degree is a pharmacy degree and the work involved isn't going to be easier anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    Well People get sick everyday of the week.
    Job prospect for a pharmacist is good but wages have came down as a result of government cuts in mark up and fees to pharmacists.
    It's still good, but nowhere near as good as it was a few years ago.
    Aparenrly 25% are loss making, this I put down to high rents signed at the height of the boom as opposed to lack of work.
    If you can't find work in Ireland you'll easily find work in the uk.
    Salary after 3 years is 60k for a supervising pharmacist, but I have heard of higher.
    If you own your own pharmacy this can be higher or lower, depending on your business acumen.

Do not do this course for the money or employment prospects alone, it'll mentally break you.
    Yes your right when i think of my self in the future maybe living in a small village in africa i would still like to be of help to the people medicine seems to offer that but i just cant handle it but it seems that pharmacy can offer a nice substitute

Advertisement