Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

yeah and it had too many diagrams and writing in it, it made me feel dizzy so i just snapped it shut! xD. what a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I only read that book (As in actually read it and not just opened it and lost the will to live) the week before the physiology exam. Despite hating the module and fearing it above all others... I managed 90%. How much of that was due to the book, I can't say... don't remember it being all that useful in the exam save for a single MCQ.

I only read that book (As in actually read it and not just opened it and lost the will to live) the week before the physiology exam. Despite hating the module and fearing it above all others... I managed 90%. How much of that was due to the book, I can't say... don't remember it being all that useful in the exam save for a single MCQ.
    did u re write the notes in ur own words and learn them off or use the notes from going to lectures or just learn eveything off from the slides?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

90!? Fair play. I tried that MCQ the other day and I wasn't exactly happy :P The exam's a killer because you get tested on your knowledge of several lectures with one question and it's often off 1 particular slide.

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    did u re write the notes in ur own words and learn them off or use the notes from going to lectures or just learn eveything off from the slides?
    The slides and the very occasional bit of Wikipedia.
    JeaicMaG wrote: »
    90!? Fair play. I tried that MCQ the other day and I wasn't exactly happy :P The exam's a killer because you get tested on your knowledge of several lectures with one question and it's often off 1 particular slide.
    You'll some come to realise that's the problem with most of the exams :p

• Advertisement

The slides and the very occasional bit of Wikipedia.
    sorry to keep bothering you with the questions :p but how do u learn from the slides do u like re write the information down or like just repeat the info out loud to urself till you learn it off? this is cause i find re writing the slides to take WAY too much time and i have no lecture notes from attending lectures (surprise!)

sorry to keep bothering you with the questions :p but how do u learn from the slides do u like re write the information down or like just repeat the info out loud to urself till you learn it off? this is cause i find re writing the slides to take WAY too much time and i have no lecture notes from attending lectures (surprise!)
    Reading... re-reading... reading again... pacing my room and telling myself i'm screwed as I try (and fail) to remember random details... and then a bit of reading to top it all off.

For a subject as big as physiology, I can't think of a better way to do it. That said, it's what works for you that you need to do, not what worked for me. Try a few things, see what works best and then go full steam ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Every exam question in pharmacy seems to be off one feckin slide!

Partyatmygaff take a look at the 2003 question from fabio last year. It was on photosynthesis in tropical plants. Fabio had one slide on this.
    The mechanism for tropical plants was so complicated that it needed a page of its own to see it properly. Wouldn't mind but I knew the other 3 mechanisms of photosynthesis. And most of the other couple of hundred slides that he had!

I've found writing and taking notes in class to be a waste at this stage!:/
    What I take in class in September is totally illegible in October yet alone April!
    Best think to do is to read reread cover try say and check and say again and then move on! It makes studying the night before so much easier.

The only lecture notes you really need are quigs on 0, 1st and 2 nd order reactions and the t 1/2, walsh's mechanisms for 02 and his stuff on chromatography for 03.
    Healy's isotherms as well.
    If you haven't got them email them and ask for them/where you can get the info.

Scortho wrote: »
    Every exam question in pharmacy seems to be off one feckin slide!

Partyatmygaff take a look at the 2003 question from fabio last year. It was on photosynthesis in tropical plants. Fabio had one slide on this.
    The mechanism for tropical plants was so complicated that it needed a page of its own to see it properly. Wouldn't mind but I knew the other 3 mechanisms of photosynthesis. And most of the other couple of hundred slides that he had!

I've found writing and taking notes in class to be a waste at this stage!:/
    What I take in class in September is totally illegible in October yet alone April!
    Best think to do is to read reread cover try say and check and say again and then move on! It makes studying the night before so much easier.
    Ah yes... the pharmacognosy slides. 4/5 undersized diagrams from Wikipedia (with little to no text) for his essay question and pages upon pages of the BP/Ph. Eur. with all the specific monographs we supposedly don't need to memorise.

• Advertisement

Ah Physiology.. Personally I like to end the day with it.. Ya know something to look forward to :P I find with some of the lecturers you'll be fine with the slides but I read the chapter anyway to try make it stick.

Did you even open that Physiology book? :P

Eh I had a glance...it was my realisation that most college books are a waste of time and money, 2 things that one should never waste!:)

I've only found a handful of books useful in fact. Foys med chem, hart and crane organic chemistry, aultons for pharmaceutics practicals, a tiny blue book on pharmaceutical calcs, the rang and dale and the trusty bnf (2007).
    All of which are available for free as PDFs online......
    If i was to recommend one it'd be hart and crane. It got a nice bit of use.

Aine Kelly made us buy the book in order to get access to the lecture slides.
    With the book came a code to get access to them. Load of bull**** so it was.

Ah yes... the pharmacognosy slides. 4/5 undersized diagrams from Wikipedia (with little to no text) for his essay question and pages upon pages of the BP/Ph. Eur. with all the specific monographs we supposedly don't need to memorise.

It's those diagrams that he screws you with! Knows people will look at them and think nah all this writing will come up!

No one or two samples/tests from the bp as he does actually require it! But not all of them. From what I remember it was the methods of carrying out the assays (loss on drying, total ash, that he looked for!)

Sasse's slides are way worse. Just random pictures that have no link to the next one!

We found pavias slides to be really good! It was like a summary of his book.

Any advice for the 1003 chromatography question? I think I should just read my notes because they can ask anything really. Not very predictable :rolleyes:

Any advice for the 1003 chromatography question? I think I should just read my notes because they can ask anything really. Not very predictable :rolleyes:

Stick to your lecture notes for the chromatography question. Walsh's slides are useless for this one unfortunately. If you dont have good notes, contact him to express your concerns....he should help you out as he doesnt want to be correcting supplementals in August!
    Fabio's slides on chromatography should be fine for his part.
    Theres a load in that question that could come up but they generally put in 4-5 questions that everyone should know.

Sound :) I reckon my notes are decent :) Fabio's notes are quite.. extensive :P Be grand

partyatmygaff how was the 1004 MCQ? (New in last year :P) Nothing to go on really :P

Should I go over the stuff in the practical manual? Did they give ye a sample?

partyatmygaff how was the 1004 MCQ? Nothing to go on really :P

Should I go over the stuff in the practical manual? Did they give ye a sample?
    They didn't give us a sample. Last I recall, it was more or less random points from the slides with about 3 questions that absolutely no one could answer as they'd never been mentioned in any of the lectures.

You'll get questions based on what you covered in the lectures with about 10 or so calculations at the end.

All in all, it's not too bad.

hi how much percentage do we get from giving up the lab book for 1003 and does it count for your final exam as in does it help you for your exam or do u still have to get over 40% regardless? thanks.

hi how much percentage do we get from giving up the lab book for 1003 and does it count for your final exam as in does it help you for your exam or do u still have to get over 40% regardless? thanks.

It should say in the blue book what the percentage is.
    You have to pass every written pharmacy paper. To that result, the marks from continuos assessment are added and then you get your final result.
    If you don't pass the written paper, you will have to resit it unless you get over 30% in it and haven't failed any other paper. Then you pass that module by compensation. As far as I know if you fail 2 modules but get more than 35% in them and pass the rest you pass by compensation. Have a check of the blue book though just in case I'm wrong.

Lastly if you haven't submitted all of the continuous assessment you may be required to resubmit the incomplete work.

Out of interest... did Gilmer cover benzene metabolism last year in PH2001?

• Advertisement

Out of interest... did Gilmer cover benzene metabolism last year in PH2001?

I remember a good chunk of stuff was on benzene and in his lecture outline it mentions benzene metabolism.
    But I just had a quick look at his lectures from last year and nothing was In the actual lectures on its metabolism. Just the reactions benzene undergoes and substituent effects. Did he send around his lecture slides? Should be 60 something pages so Id say you'd be fine with that.
    I just stuck to his slides last year and it went fine.
    His question was a joke though. Two of his questions were missing on the day of the exam so made his other question into three questions. The question that he made into 3 was the one I had planned on not answering. Somehow passed but a few didn't.

Well I suppose there's always August.. :o

Well I suppose there's always August.. :o

Waste of a day like myself? I read 10 pages today:eek:

Waste of a day like myself? I read 10 pages today:eek:

There's just so much to get through :P Tomorrow's another day though!

There's just so much to get through :P Tomorrow's another day though!

Yeah about 100 pages of radomski stuff tomorrow:rolleyes:
    The exam is an mcq. Pot luck on the day so it is. and a lot of guessing

Yeah about 100 pages of radomski stuff tomorrow:rolleyes:
    The exam is an mcq. Pot luck on the day so it is. and a lot of guessing

I have it all to look forward to so! :P Best of luck :)

Scortho, by any chance do you have or know anyone in the year who still has any PH2006 MCQs lying around?

Or if not that... what's the MCQ like?

Scortho, by any chance do you have or know anyone in the year who still has any PH2006 MCQs lying around?

Or if not that... what's the MCQ like?

Mcq was tough. A few of hooks questions came up! I and many others had forgotten that we had lectures with the lovely ingrid last year! And then the usual is answer 1 true but answer 2 false kind of crap that they put on.

Some people came out negative in the mcq!
    That said if you covered the lectures very basically you were fine. A lot got thrown by Tammys question and ended up doing henmans. While henmans was Easy enough (copd) as you know hes a tough marker.

I don't think anyone has it unfortunately. Ill have a few of them next year though for the 3rd year modules.
    Might be able to get my hands on the 2010 mcq though if that's any good to you?
    Have biochem stuff somewhere as well.

Mcq was tough. A few of hooks questions came up! I and many others had forgotten that we had lectures with the lovely ingrid last year! And then the usual is answer 1 true but answer 2 false kind of crap that they put on.
    I know it's hard to remember a whole year on but was it completely off the wall stuff from those massive tables and pathways in her notes or questions like "Which patient group is EPA supplementation contraindicated in?" (Which is one of things she underlined in her notes).
    Some people came out negative in the mcq!
    That said if you covered the lectures very basically you were fine. A lot got thrown by Tammys question and ended up doing henmans. While henmans was Easy enough (copd) as you know hes a tough marker.
    To be fair, they're all hard markers in PH2006. I just hope we don't get a vitamins question like you guys did, that question looked absolutely horrific.
    I don't think anyone has it unfortunately. Ill have a few of them next year though for the 3rd year modules.
    Might be able to get my hands on the 2010 mcq though if that's any good to you?
    Have biochem stuff somewhere as well.
    Yeah if you can send on a PH2010 MCQ, that'd be fantastic. Biochem's all up on the site so that's grand.

Thanks man.

• Advertisement

I know it's hard to remember a whole year on but was it completely off the wall stuff from those massive tables and pathways in her notes or questions like "Which patient group is EPA supplementation contraindicated in?" (Which is one of things she underlined in her notes).

To be fair, they're all hard markers in PH2006. I just hope we don't get a vitamins question like you guys did, that question looked absolutely horrific.

Yeah if you can send on a PH2010 MCQ, that'd be fantastic. Biochem's all up on the site so that's grand.

Thanks man.

I can barely remember the stuff I studied yesterday never mind last year! I hadn't studied her stuff so I skipped it in the mcq!

I loved the vitamins question. I knew going in I wasn't goin to do henmans long question so had focused most of my effort on Tammys and rossi's. that said id have probably done a lot better had enteral feeding came up. Tammy and Rossi are grand I've found. Ryder can be tricky, but sometimes Henman takes the biscuit like....case in point was a lecture we had on the morning after pill this year. Spc says caution if the patient had a history of thromboembolism.
    Henman says no, I rather cheekily asked what's it doing in the spc then....
    His reply
    they just put that in to cover themselves!
    Like come on imb has approved it, spc says it, surely you can at least say oh ill check that out for you!
    All said he is a great lecturer just too hard to get marks out off which is a pity because I had more interest in copd than enteral feeding.
    Anyway rant over!:D

TLDR version; I can't remember the mcqs

Advertisement