Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

ahmdoda wrote: »
    Yes your right when i think of my self in the future maybe living in a small village in africa i would still like to be of help to the people medicine seems to offer that but i just cant handle it but it seems that pharmacy can offer a nice substitute

MSF would take you on:

http://www.msf.ie/work/jobs/pharmacist

are pharmacy exams really that hard that the majority fail? lol will be doing the course this coming September hopefully and coming from the Lc I usualy joke to my friend on how we should always aim for 100% in our exams I think I will have to turn that to 50%!!

Probably the only good difference compared to the LC is that if you pay attention during the lectures and if you're strategic enough in terms of study, you can practically predict what will come up in most exams. Most lecturers will (usually) drop a subtle hint and past exam papers are good for that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

damn man thanks sooooooo much for showing me that link!!!!!!!!! never heard of this organisation before though but will keep it once i finish my degree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 spalpinfanach

Scortho wrote: »
    I've been regretting that for the last 3 years. Their course is much more clinical, whereas ours is aimed more towards industry.

Haha social life. What's that?
    Not only do you have lectures 9-5 and sometimes 9-6, you also will generally have an assignment due every week or so. Lab reports sound simple in theory, but you can find them taking hours.

In fairness to pharmacy one of the good things that it has going for it is the close knit classes.
    Everyone goes out together, but it'd rarely be more than one night a week.
    There is time for sport, it just depends how you manage time.
    Will you be living in town or commuting.
    Try live in town (unless youre from Dublin) for the first year at least.

In fairness I've heard plenty of cons towards RCSI aswell so i just put them down by points, just ended up favoring trinity just because its trinity like. Hopefully if i get halls but definitely will be in town so a bike should get me around to training and stuff no bother? determined to get the most i can out of college

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Probably the only good difference compared to the LC is that if you pay attention during the lectures and if you're strategic enough in terms of study, you can practically predict what will come up in most exams. Most lecturers will (usually) drop a subtle hint and past exam papers are good for that as well.
    And some not-so-subtle hints...

Lines underlined in red for no apparent reason, an odd look accompanied with a cough on certain slides, cleverly written emails. It takes a keen eye to notice them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HaribosAreNice

Guys,

Have one repeat this year on the 26th, PH2003. Luckily enough I've only the one but still very nervous for it. Could anyone who has repeated it before give me a little advice? Is the repeat paper usually easier or is it as tough? If Fabio gives some random bit of extra reading for his question thats me gone, and hopefully Sasse won't hit us with anything too complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Guys,

Have one repeat this year on the 26th, PH2003. Luckily enough I've only the one but still very nervous for it. Could anyone who has repeated it before give me a little advice? Is the repeat paper usually easier or is it as tough? If Fabio gives some random bit of extra reading for his question thats me gone, and hopefully Sasse won't hit us with anything too complex.

Ah 2003. The most pain in balls module you'll ever do in pharmacy.
    Have you talked to sasse and fabio?
    Might be a good idea to talk to Walsh as well. I know he has nothing to do with the module, but he'll teach you the spectrometry course in an hour and you'll know it as well.
    For fabios stuff you can't leave anything out, he fcuked our year over with a question on photosynthesis of tropical plants (what this has to do with pharmacy is beyond me) but extra reading shouldn't be needed.
    What I found really good were the slides by pavia (who wrote the spectrometry book)
    Sasses stuff is a lot easier I found. If you know it well, you're laughing. I got a 1st in the repeat as well.
    One of sasses questions is theory only and the other is more putting what you know into use. (If its NMR or ir you're laughing, if its ms, it'll be a lot tougher.
    Then there's a final question I think that's a bit of everything and the 3 short questions.
    I found the three short questions to be the marks gainer. There fairly simple as well. Make sure you know all your stuff re the international conference on harmonisation.

I'd definitely recommend going to speak with sasse and fabio.
    And if you can get a quick tutorial of Walsh you're laughing.

A link to pavia spectroscopy goodness. slides that are understandable! :pac:

http://www.chem.wwu.edu/pavia/c352ppt.html

Guys,

The extra reading this year isn't bad at all, I just skimmed through it. His whole schols question revolved around the extra reading and it was fine, you really only need to read it to get familiar with a few terms and you can make up the rest with some general pharmacognosy knowledge (and if you remember even the basics from chromatography last year you'll be sorted).

Make sure you read over the ICH slides a few times because she's almost guaranteed to ask something from it and it's nothing more difficult than remembering what ICH Q3A,B,4,5,6 and so on cover. Easy marks if you get it out of the way now.

As for the rest of the exam, I thought UV/Fluor was due on the main paper this year so i'd say there's a good chance it'll get a long question in the supp. For NMR, MS and IR (and incidentally... pretty much everything chemistry related) give these videos a shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBymrFzcaPM - MS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRxgX-7FO8g - NMR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtum8KIVmC8 - IR

A bit long but you can skip through the simple stuff if you don't need it. Absolutely brilliant though, better than any book or website.

As for Fabio, it's next to impossible to predict. If I was you, i'd look over photosynthesis because it's a big topic and didn't show up in either the schols or the annual (save for an MCQ or two). Aside from that, the only tip I can give you is layout your "Quality control procedure" essays with a paragraph on identity, chemical composition and purity.

G'luck... whoever you are

just accepted this course and been looking though some of the material really feels great after 12 years of worthless study to do something that can actually be of use to me and the world!!

• Advertisement

just accepted this course and been looking though some of the material really feels great after 12 years of worthless study to do something that can actually be of use to me and the world!!

I wonder will you be saying that next April/may. Or the April/may the year after. :pac:

Congrats on getting a place. Fun times ahead for you....

Congrats.

Words of advice...
    1. Write off April/May for the next four years. You'll only really understand why in April... hopefully early April :P
    2. Don't buy all the books you're recommended and don't bring books to lectures, it's not like school.
    3. Don't buy a dissecting kit (unless you want scissors, a scalpel and a selection of tweezers for some reason)
    4. Fresher's week is great craic, try and get on campus every day and join a few societies. Whatever you do, make sure you join DUPSA (Trinity's Pharmacy Soc) to get in on all the pharmacy events (and there'll be a lot of them this year) like our wine receptions, the pharmacy ball, the mystery tour and much more.
    5. Don't get too worried if you feel completely lost near the start (especially your very first lecture if Quigley hasn't changed it :p). It'll all start to come together near the end of the second term.
    6. Did I mention go to all the DUPSA events and enjoy yourself?

Congrats.

Words of advice...
    1. Write off April/May for the next four years. You'll only really understand why in April... hopefully early April :P
    2. Don't buy all the books you're recommended and don't bring books to lectures, it's not like school.
    3. Don't buy a dissecting kit (unless you want scissors, a scalpel and a selection of tweezers for some reason)
    4. Fresher's week is great craic, try and get on campus every day and join a few societies. Whatever you do, make sure you join DUPSA (Trinity's Pharmacy Soc) to get in on all the pharmacy events (and there'll be a lot of them this year) like our wine receptions, the pharmacy ball, the mystery tour and much more.
    5. Don't get too worried if you feel completely lost near the start (especially your very first lecture if Quigley hasn't changed it :p). It'll all start to come together near the end of the second term.
    6. Did I mention go to all the DUPSA events and enjoy yourself?

Also don't make any plans for a trek across Europe in August.
    August and pharmacy for half of us is like April and pharmacy.

Partyatmygaff when you say:wine receptions, the pharmacy ball, the mystery tour and much more
    What's the much more bit?
    Are we getting our karaoke back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Oh cool I get to scare first years now :D

Also don't make any plans for a trek across Europe in August.
    August and pharmacy for half of us is like April and pharmacy.
    I actually had "Write off August as well if you're unlucky enough to fail an exam (and no, getting 565+ in your LC doesn't mean you can't fail)" down as no. 7 :P before I got rid of it.
    Partyatmygaff when you say:wine receptions, the pharmacy ball, the mystery tour and much more
    What's the much more bit?
    Are we getting our karaoke back :pac:
    They're always better as a surprise (and it's too early for firm details!)
    As for the karaoke, keep up with the vocal warmups, you never know :P

I actually had "Write off August as well if you're unlucky enough to fail an exam (and no, getting 565+ in your LC doesn't mean you can't fail)" down as no. 7 :P before I got rid of it.

They're always better as a surprise (and it's too early for firm details!)
    As for the karaoke, keep up with the vocal warmups, you never know :P

Can we do a go kart Grand Prix. It's a minimum of 12 and would be serious crack.

Accepted my offer on Monday! Put off posting in here because I knew that I'd get scared and immediately regret it! :P :pac:

Accepted my offer on Monday! Put off posting in here because I knew that I'd get scared and immediately regret it! :P :pac:

Welcome. To our little place of ranting and raging.
    See you in September and best of luck

Best of luck to anyone doing supps from Monday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

Hey jack remember what q.7 was like in this years 03 exam?
    did metals in biology come up?
    (cant speak to you on facebook so im using boards :D )

• Advertisement

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    Hey jack remember what q.7 was like in this years 03 exam?
    did metals in biology come up?
    (cant speak to you on facebook so im using boards :D )

He asked specifically about Zinc this year so if you're doing that question I'd have an idea of the 3 main ones (Iron, Zinc and Cobalt). Just know enough about each to write at least a page on because that part of the question carries 10 out of 20 of the marks for the whole question iirc.

Anyone have any idea about what they're going to pick for their final year project?

Anyone have any idea about what they're going to pick for their final year project?

Part of me says quigley. Because hell do half the project for you!
    Anything that keeps me out of a lab and ill be happy! :pac:

Part of me says quigley. Because hell do half the project for you!
    Anything that keeps me out of a lab and ill be happy! :pac:

Lab ones are handier (lower word count). Though there's something about the short length of Quigley's project outline that scares me sh.i.t.less.
    Allegedly Walshe, Sheridan & Quigley are pretty popular. There are one or two you should avoid though.

Might go for a hospital based one; especially if it helps me land a placement.

Timetable looks... delightful :P

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Timetable looks... delightful :P

Haha. The fun starts here. You'll be cursing it.
    Do you still have 4 hour labs?

Haha. The fun starts here. You'll be cursing it.
    Do you still have 4 hour labs?
    We did last year. It only goes the full 4 hours once or twice and even then 2/4 of those hours is just waiting around.

just curious how is the work load for a first year pharmacy student? i mean would i need consistent study just like the lc or a cram the night before the exam just like the jc?

just curious how is the work load for a first year pharmacy student? i mean would i need consistent study just like the lc or a cram the night before the exam just like the jc?

If someone can teach me how to cram pharmacy the night before and do well ill pay them.

It's a heavy enough workload, that you don't realise until the end of the year.

• Advertisement

We did last year. It only goes the full 4 hours once or twice and even then 2/4 of those hours is just waiting around.

Even still there a Bolix.
    Our second last lab went the full 4 from what I remember.

Advertisement